The rise and fall of The SNP.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

As I say, I wouldn't expect a staunch unionist to agree and TBQH I have zero interest in trying to convince them.

If that's your best argument I look forward to independence day.

Its not my argument  or any other enlightened voter. Moaning about the toaries etc is the default position of the lazy separatists  who have no other solid argument

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

3 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Maggie thatcher chored half pints of milk.

Everyone vote indy 

That nutter destroyed Britain. Absolute screwball of a woman.

1 minute ago, Fun Boaby said:

Anyone here taken advantage of the RTB scheme? A Tory ploy to help the working class. Those cads.

That's what's expected from governments. Not unique.

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Feck sake Smithee - I voted yes and will vote yes again :( 

But the SNP is making a rod for their own back with this nonsense. They can't and shouldn't be supported at all costs.

Sound, I'm not into them myself, but I'll keep voting for them until we're independent 

18 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Its not my argument  or any other enlightened voter. Moaning about the toaries etc is the default position of the lazy separatists  who have no other solid argument

Well we have, but you ignore it because it's easier to fight the pretend fire that it's all about tories bad. 

But that's cool, there are other people watching and listening, people who may vote either way. I'm perfectly happy to keep making the same strong points to them while you sneer.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well we have, but you ignore it because it's easier to fight the pretend fire that it's all about tories bad. 

But that's cool, there are other people watching and listening, people who may vote either way. I'm perfectly happy to keep making the same strong points to them while you sneer.

OK, what is your solid argument? 

Who is watching and listening? 

10 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Anyone here taken advantage of the RTB scheme? A Tory ploy to help the working class. Those cads.

I assume you’re joking. RTB is an unmitigated disaster. Just because individuals benefitted from it financially doesn’t mean it was a good policy. 

4 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

OK, what is your solid argument? 

Who is watching and listening? 

I'm not going to spoon feed you, if you can't work it out from the very clear posts I've made that's your problem.

Have a fine evening

Saor Alba!

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I'm not going to spoon feed you, if you can't work it out from the very clear posts I've made that's your problem.

Have a fine evening

Saor Alba!

In other words you've run out of ideas and can not explain your points.

Good night. God bless

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I assume you’re joking. RTB is an unmitigated disaster. Just because individuals benefitted from it financially doesn’t mean it was a good policy. 

Why do you think it was an unmitigated disaster?

2 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

In other words you've run out of ideas and can not explain your points.

Good night. God bless

:laugh2: aye that must be it 🤪

I dont bother much with people who debate in poor faith, total waste of life.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:laugh2: aye that must be it 🤪

I dont bother much with people who debate in poor faith, total waste of life.

Blah. Still a lot of words about nothing 

Why do you think it was an unmitigated disaster?

It served to offer a couple of generations the option of a good deal on a home and deny countless future generations the chance of somewhere decent to live. The inherited benefits will become diluted over time and the working class (the phrase you used) will be in a far worse position than they were in the 1970’s. It’s a pile of shite which has also helped create the housing shortage which has, in turn, helped keep house prices up which benefits rich people with property portfolios more than anyone else.  

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

It served to offer a couple of generations the option of a good deal on a home and deny countless future generations the chance of somewhere decent to live. The inherited benefits will become diluted over time and the working class (the phrase you used) will be in a far worse position than they were in the 1970’s. It’s a pile of shite which has also helped create the housing shortage which has, in turn, helped keep house prices up which benefits rich people with property portfolios more than anyone else.  

Did it not help working class people who were able to purchase a property at massively discounted prices?

5 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Did it not help working class people who were able to purchase a property at massively discounted prices?

I’ve already said it did. The long term effect is disastrous for the poor and it’s actually fairly difficult to think of one other policy that will perpetuate the poverty trap like RTB has and will continue to do for generations after it has ended. 

Edited by GinRummy

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

I'm pished, but how can't you comprehend what  GinRummy just posted?

Typing as someone who's mother benefited greatly from right to buy...

We as a family lost any of the "benefit she won" due to having to pay for her care home costs due to Alzheimer's with the sale of her home, that she wanted to bequeath to her children...

Nucky Thompson

The RTB helped lots of working class people get on the property ladder and gave them something to leave their kids.

I don't buy this no social housing for poor people.

Loads of chav, lazy single mothers still manage to get free housing 

1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I'm pished, but how can't you comprehend what  GinRummy just posted?

Typing as someone who's mother benefited greatly from right to buy...

We as a family lost any of the "benefit she won" due to having to pay for her care home costs due to Alzheimer's with the sale of her home, that she wanted to bequeath to her children...

I'm genuinely  very sorry to hear that. I really am.

My personal experience has been different.

Probably  too late now, but a life rent trust might assist others

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The RTB helped lots of working class people get on the property ladder and gave them something to leave their kids.

I don't buy this no social housing for poor people.

Loads of chav, lazy single mothers still manage to get free housing 

There’s a housing shortage. That’s a factual statement.  Banging on about chavs won’t change the facts. The property ladder is now a pipe dream for people with normal jobs who’s parents either didn’t buy their homes, ended up having to pay for their own care in later life or simply had a lot of children. 

The working poor are a growing demographic and that is an absolute travesty. Private rent costs are a massive part of the problem, largely created by RTB. 

Edited by GinRummy

Konrad von Carstein
9 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

I'm genuinely  very sorry to hear that. I really am.

My personal experience has been different.

Probably  too late now, but a life rent trust might assist others

Peace man...I was maybe projecting too much...

26 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Blah. Still a lot of words about nothing 

You are exceptionally well versed in this, it's true.

16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

There’s a housing shortage. That’s a factual statement.  Banging on about chavs won’t change the facts. The property ladder is now a pipe dream for people with normal jobs who’s parents either didn’t buy their homes, ended up having to pay for their own care in later life or simply had a lot of children. 

The working poor are a growing demographic and that is an absolute travesty. Private rent costs are a massive part of the problem, largely created by RTB. 

It's a horrific argument that we see too much in Britain, that we shouldn't take certain action in case a few undeserving also benefit.

How would an independent  Scotland  solve these housing issues?

The first thing to do is stop selling off the remaining housing stock. The snp, to their enormous credit, have already done this. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The first thing to do is stop selling off the remaining housing stock. The snp, to their enormous credit, have already done this. 

Has the RTB scheme not been rolled  back? How much housing stock has been,lost to it in say the last 5 years? I've genuinely no idea

Just now, Fun Boaby said:

Has the RTB scheme not been rolled  back? How much housing stock has been,lost to it in say the last 5 years? I've genuinely no idea

Not sure what you mean by rolled back?

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Fairly sure that doesn’t apply in Scotland. There’s no RTB here since 2016. 

I didn't realise that 

Another  kick in tbe balls to  the aspiring working classes.

Just now, Fun Boaby said:

I didn't realise that 

Another  kick in tbe balls to  the aspiring working classes.

It’s a con. The aspiration is made easy for one generation and in turn makes it more and more difficult for future generations to have any realistic aspirations.  

Don’t get me wrong, I benefited directly through inheritance, from my mum, from RTB but my personal experience of it doesn’t change the big picture. 

If you or I were the PM I’m fairly certain one of our first priorities was to make sure everyone had somewhere to live. The government can’t invest money in social housing to the extent of building enough houses for everyone to live in because house prices would suffer to such an extent that the market would collapse leading to the economy, as a whole, to collapse as well. That is the corner the government has painted itself in to. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s a con. The aspiration is made easy for one generation and in turn makes it more and more difficult for future generations to have any realistic aspirations.  

Don’t get me wrong, I benefited directly through inheritance, from my mum, from RTB but my personal experience of it doesn’t change the big picture. 

If you or I were the PM I’m fairly certain one of our first priorities was to make sure everyone had somewhere to live. The government can’t invest money in social housing to the extent of building enough houses for everyone to live in because house prices would suffer to such an extent that the market would collapse leading to the economy, as a whole, to collapse as well. That is the corner the government has painted itself in to. 

I cant (and dont) want to argue with that.

1 hour ago, Fun Boaby said:

How would an independent  Scotland  solve these housing issues?

Obviously it depends on what government we choose

9 hours ago, GinRummy said:

If the Scotgov decided to build new social housing in great numbers, someone would still need to build them, buy the raw materials, have the workforce to physically build them. Plent employment.

House pricing NEEDS to suffer. The whole sytem needs a ‘reset’. Because of greedy land owners, shyster banks giving almost free money away and a severe lack of social housing alternatives, the house prices have been artificially inflated. It was engineered to be like this.

Theres a new build 3 bed end terrace going in Longniddry for amonst £400K. Its mental!

Used to be the maximum you could buy a house was 3.5 X your annual salary. So if you were on £26K you would be looking at houses in the £90K - £100K range. You cant even get a bed-sit for that now!

That 3 bed end terrace is over 15 X that average salary. Ridiculous!

Needs changed. As does the rip-off private rent market.

Edited by Pans Jambo

9 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Fully agree. It was done to take the burden away from the state to fund social housing. All it’s done is benefit private landlords and developers. Rent control and making all landlords provide decent liveable conditions should be paramount. 

37 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

If the Scotgov decided to build new social housing in great numbers, someone would still need to build them, buy the raw materials, have the workforce to physically build them. Plent employment.

House pricing NEEDS to suffer. The whole sytem needs a ‘reset’. Because of greedy land owners, shyster banks giving almost free money away and a severe lack of social housing alternatives, the house prices have been artificially inflated. It was engineered to be like this.

Theres a new build 3 bed end terrace going in Longniddry for amonst £400K. Its mental!

Used to be the maximum you could buy a house was 3.5 X your annual salary. So if you were on £26K you would be looking at houses in the £90K - £100K range. You cant even get a bed-sit for that now!

That 3 bed end terrace is over 15 X that average salary. Ridiculous!

Needs changed. As does the rip-off private rent market.

20 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Fully agree. It was done to take the burden away from the state to fund social housing. All it’s done is benefit private landlords and developers. Rent control and making all landlords provide decent liveable conditions should be paramount. 

Agree with both of you. Radical change is needed. 

Seymour M Hersh

So the wee Calvanist in Bute House is now cancelling Hogmanay. I wonder how much she's hoping that this pandemic crushes the pub industry in Scotland? After all we are a nation of raging alcoholics according to the SNP. 

Governor Tarkin
On 21/11/2020 at 22:05, GinRummy said:

It didn't have to be.

The failure to replace local authority housing was the real crime.

Governor Tarkin
On 22/11/2020 at 09:01, Des Lynam said:

All it’s done is benefit private landlords and developers. 

Disagree. Loads of ex council housing around me and it's all been improved massively. Extensions, loft conversions, driveways, etc. A lot of folk who would never have had an opportunity to shape their own family home are in a much better place.

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Disagree. Loads of ex council housing around me and it's all been improved massively. Extensions, loft conversions, driveways, etc. A lot of folk who would never have had an opportunity to shape their own family home are in a much better place.

A few individuals > Society in general

17 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

So the wee Calvanist in Bute House is now cancelling Hogmanay. I wonder how much she's hoping that this pandemic crushes the pub industry in Scotland? After all we are a nation of raging alcoholics according to the SNP. 

More pish sprouted by folk who just CANNOT SEE whats happening here.

PEOPLE ARE DYING!!!!!

OK, Lets throw the doors open and have a big party!!!!

BTW, Pubs are open in East Lothian because we all wear our masks and wash our hands....just like we were asked to.

Did the SNP also create the Covid pandemic?

I dont think the SNP have stated that we are all "raging alcoholics" but Scotland's relationship with alcohol has been well documented since Labour was in power!

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Pans Jambo said:

A few individuals > Society in general

WTF are you on about?

Des said the ONLY folk to benefit were developers and landlords - I provided an example of people who have benefited who are not developers or landlords.

Why don't you argue against that fact?

The SNP are a one trick pony who rely on their position on independence for votes.

If any other party had their record of government they'd be out on their arse at the next election.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

WTF are you on about?

Des said the ONLY folk to benefit were developers and landlords - I provided an example of people who have benefited who are not developers or landlords.

Why don't you argue against that fact?

Im not.

I actually bought a council flat back in the day but I realise now what a disaster that was for society in general. My daughter wont get on the property ladder until shes about 30 if shes lucky.

We should NEVER have sold the council housing stock and Labour should have built a new one for every one they sold at the time.

I didnt see it at the time but it was the biggest con Thatcher foisted upon us. Kidding us on it was great to own your own house then taking a massive wedge when you pass it onto your kids or taking it all together when you have to go into a private care home.