The rise and fall of The SNP.

8 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I prefer to use my own personal judgement when analysing education. My daughter is at Uni as are most of her friends and they had a brilliant education at both primary and secondary. 3 of my grandkids are at school and they love it. In my experience I don't think education is as poor as it's portrayed but then again anything the SNP do is bad for some. 

They're the government and make mistakes but it's not all negative.

So would I and I'd say the way kids are taught now, is extremely poor in comparison to how me and my sister were taught. 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's a fair comment and I'm glad your family have done well and enjoyed thier education, but the fugures point to a drop in education standards across the board under the SNP.

They probably have but I think, like many things in life, it's about getting a balance and adapting to changes. Education has changed so much due to becoming more digitally orientated. Kids are more adept with devices, computers etc and most I know are fairly switched on, so to speak.

Just now, Cruyff said:

So would I and I'd say the way kids are taught now, is extremely poor in comparison to how me and my sister were taught. 

I agree but education is changing all the time. It's more challenging in the classroom I would expect!

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Pisa :rofl:how did I know that was going to be rolled out.

Hiya John Swinney, hiya pal 👋

Actually i agree it's not the best comparison but the poster backing you up rolled it out first.

Nevertheless Pisa performance has been used by many as proof that the quality of Scottish Education is declining. What we have here is Scotland among the best in the world for educational outcomes that are given a higher priority in C for E. 

The Jim Scott research has been widely rubbished not least for it's methodology i'm more inclined to support Paterson's views which are more fundamental and probably more scathing. Nevertheless there is a question about what education is for and what form it should take and as far as i know there is agreement across all parties in Scotland as far as curriculum for excellence is concerned. Instilling more rigor into our assessment system was opposed by all parties apart from the SNP despite this having been frequently called for by the Tories and Paterson.

I'm not sure how much educational attainment has changed over the years, very little as far as i can see but generally very modest improvement. How this is translated into the SNP trashing education is the difficulty for me. Change has happened with the support of other political parties and educational professionals if they didn't like the idea why did they sign up to it in the first place?

The John Swinney comment is silly. 

14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's a fair comment and I'm glad your family have done well and enjoyed thier education, but the fugures point to a drop in education standards across the board under the SNP.

Where about?

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't want to be rude or pedantic but don't you mean my sister and i rather than "me and my sister" and isn't it just this sort of thing that children nowadays are not very good at leading many people to berate modern education.

10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Look a few posts up.

Which indicators do you think are the best to show that the SNP have messed up education?

3 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Which indicators do you think are the best to show that the SNP have messed up education?

The ones that show it.

Tories about to fall. Comm chief gone and Cummings is next. Boris must be about to be sacked by his party, anaw. 

All the while, the saviours of Scotland take us closer to independence. 

:jambobanana:

25 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I don't want to be rude or pedantic, but don't you mean my sister and I rather than "me and my sister", and isn't it this sort of thing that children are not very good at these days leading many people to berate modern education.

Indeed. 

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I prefer to use my own personal judgement when analysing education. My daughter is at Uni as are most of her friends and they had a brilliant education at both primary and secondary. 3 of my grandkids are at school and they love it. In my experience I don't think education is as poor as it's portrayed but then again anything the SNP do is bad for some. 

They're the government and make mistakes but it's not all negative.

Did you pay for their education?

The SNP could do a lot worse than have the two Northern Irish MPs at the very top. They are very good. Probably two of the best. 

Edited by ri Alban

Weakened Offender
8 hours ago, coconut doug said:

I don't want to be rude or pedantic but don't you mean my sister and i rather than "me and my sister" and isn't it just this sort of thing that children nowadays are not very good at leading many people to berate modern education.

😬😁😁

10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Tories about to fall. Comm chief gone and Cummings is next. Boris must be about to be sacked by his party, anaw. 

All the while, the saviours of Scotland take us closer to independence. 

:jambobanana:

Unfortunately, never has a man been so wrong about so many things in such a short space of time.

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Fortunately, never has a man been so wrong about so many things in such a short space of time.

:sadrobbo:

Lying about test and protect data,

3500 individuals who tested positive still to be traced

Nationalist in Hamilton says GIRFUY to her constituents

Bad day for the Nationalist party.

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The SNP could do a lot worse than have the two Northern Irish MPs at the very top. They are very good. Probably two of the best. 

Wtf you on about. 

14 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Nobody cares.

The tories spent Billions awarding dodgy contracts in order to line their own pockets...nobody cares.

They lied about Brexit and nobody cares.

Nobody...

Cares!

The SNP will win a record landslide victory in the elections next year in Scotland. Labour and tories will be decimated up here.

Nobody cares who says or does what in the SNP from now to then because everyone knows what the goal is. Independence.

Scots will vote SNP en-masse and then we kick on to Indy ref 2.

Nobody cares about the "Nationalist in Hamilton"...Nobody!

17 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Nobody cares.

The tories spent Billions awarding dodgy contracts in order to line their own pockets...nobody cares.

They lied about Brexit and nobody cares.

Nobody...

Cares!

The SNP will win a record landslide victory in the elections next year in Scotland. Labour and tories will be decimated up here.

Nobody cares who says or does what in the SNP from now to then because everyone knows what the goal is. Independence.

Exactly, and the unionists are fuming as they are totally helpless to stop it

Governor Tarkin
28 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

The fact that nobody cares is the bit that I find most worrying tbh.

17 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

I would imagine she will be resigning before the end of the day now that you have found her out.   

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

So do I.

Grenfell

Windrush

Brexit mistruths

Paedophile investigations

Misappropriation

The list goes on...

Nobody accountable and no front page headlines either!

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Exactly, and the unionists are fuming as they are totally helpless to stop it

This is the truth behind every SNP BAD snivelling post on here.

Edited by Pans Jambo

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Indeed. I'd vote Indy with some caveats but I wouldn't vote for the snp if you paid me. 

I'm pretty positive they'll be getting binned in May regardless as to whether there is a majority of support in the polls for Indy.

Just now, Cruyff said:

Indeed. I'd vote Indy with some caveats but I wouldn't vote for the snp if you paid me. 

I'm pretty positive they'll be getting binned in May regardless as to whether there is a majority of support in the polls for Indy.

Mate, your delusional. The SNP will win and win BIG. Record breaking BIG.

After Indy I wouldnt vote for them either but you have to look at the alternative

"Scottish" Labour :gok:

"Scottish" tories :facepalm:

"Scottish" "Liberal" "Democrats :cornette:

Greens :interehjrling:

Sad as it is, the SNP are the only show in town and the main vehicle that will take us to Independence REGARDLESS if they are useless as feck!!!

NOBODY CARES!!!

Governor Tarkin
37 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

So do I.

Grenfell

Windrush

Brexit mistruths

Misappropriation

The list goes on...

Nobody accountable and no front page headlines either!

Grenfell.

612.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format

Windrush.

9b7c265609c7cbf37876c6197c9c1fa3.jpg

Brexit mistruths.

_103521408_guardian.jpg

phpYCNLcLAM.jpg?width=700&quality=85&aut

Misappropriation

_111854504_feat-img.jpg RRkPVX6DT4aKLnG0QV3O_Mirror%201108.PNG

Nobody accountable and no front page headlines either.

:cornette_dog:

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Sad as it is, the SNP are the only show in town and the main vehicle that will take us to Independence REGARDLESS if they are useless as feck!!!

NOBODY CARES!!!

It's generally amusing to watch someone revel in their own ignorance and stupidity, but not this time.

Spitonastranger
17 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

You know the 3500 are people who have not responded to calls or texts to them, but don't let that get in your way. After last night a tourney and independence :) 

13 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Grenfell.

612.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format

Windrush.

9b7c265609c7cbf37876c6197c9c1fa3.jpg

Brexit mistruths.

_103521408_guardian.jpg

phpYCNLcLAM.jpg?width=700&quality=85&aut

Misappropriation

_111854504_feat-img.jpg RRkPVX6DT4aKLnG0QV3O_Mirror%201108.PNG

Nobody accountable and no front page headlines either.

:cornette_dog:

You know what I meant. All of that! ALL OF IT has now been "swept under the carpet" and nobody in power or in the media gives a feck anymore!

9 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's generally amusing to watch someone revel in their own ignorance and stupidity, but not this time.

So change my mind then Tarkin.

I think folk will vote SNP in their droves because:

1. They are the only show in town.

2. They are the party most likely to get us to Independence.

I will vote for them on that basis.

So because of that, I am "ignorant and stupid"? Is that right?

Are you going to vote Labour or tory because they "just need one more chance to get it right"?

32 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Mate, your delusional. The SNP will win and win BIG. Record breaking BIG.

After Indy I wouldnt vote for them either but you have to look at the alternative

"Scottish" Labour :gok:

"Scottish" tories :facepalm:

"Scottish" "Liberal" "Democrats :cornette:

Greens :interehjrling:

NOBODY CARES!!!

You're certainly right in the sense that there is no alternative but it is that level of ignorance SLab supporters had that finished them off.

The Scottish electorate aren't daft and I believe they do care about policy. It is just whether lndy is seen as the more important macro goal in the short term before we can get a Scotland that can fully focus on individual areas and policy.

The more the UK gov say no and continue on their rudderless path, the more likely people are to probably vote the SNP, purely  for a referendum. 

As someone who did support the SNP however, I believe that their ability to govern was equally as important and I personally think they are useless. My dislike for the SNP entirely relates to their supporters who are very much hands over ears and heads in the sand. 

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

So change my mind then Tarkin.

I think folk will vote SNP in their droves because:

1. They are the only show in town.

2. They are the party most likely to get us to Independence.

I will vote for them on that basis.

So because of that, I am "ignorant and stupid"? Is that right?

Are you going to vote Labour or tory because they "just need one more chance to get it right"?

Bet you couldn't name a single Scotttish Labour policy without google.

You are so fixated on independence that absoultely **** all else matters to you. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

You're certainly right in the sense that there is no alternative but it is that level of ignorance SLab supporters had that finished them off.

The Scottish electorate aren't daft and I believe they do care about policy. It is just whether lndy is seen as the more important macro goal in the short term before we can get a Scotland that can fully focus on individual areas and policy.

The more the UK gov say no and continue on their rudderless path, the more likely people are to probably vote the SNP, purely  for a referendum. 

As someone who did support the SNP however, I believe that their ability to govern was equally as important and I personally think they are useless. My dislike for the SNP entirely relates to their supporters who are very much hands over ears and heads in the sand. 

I think your last sentence is a bit unfair. I support them but only because of the trajectory I want to happen. In an Indy Scotland I know they will go the way of UKIP with their raison d'etre being fulfilled. Sure they may get one term after the event but they will surely splinter into different factions/parties.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Good post.

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Bet you couldn't name a single Scotttish Labour policy without google.

You are so fixated on independence that absoultely **** all else matters to you. 

Thats true. But then I WAS a Labour man a decade or so ago and I probably will be again...in an Independent Scotland.

Thems the facts!

The irony is if you want to get rid of the SNP....vote for them and vote for Scottish Independence. They will disappear like a fart in the wind after that.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

The irony is if you want to get rid of the SNP....vote for them and vote for Scottish Independence. They will disappear like a fart in the wind after that.

I wish I shared your optimism, bud. :D 👍

51 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I think your last sentence is a bit unfair. I support them but only because of the trajectory I want to happen. In an Indy Scotland, I know they will go the way of UKIP with their raison d'etre being fulfilled. Sure they may get one term after the event but they will surely splinter into different factions/parties.

That's just what I see on Twitter or on here. Don't get me wrong the SNP has done some good things too but if you put a macro goal of Indy over policies that affect peoples lives in the short to medium term, you're going to end up out of office. 

The entire Scottish constitutional philosophy is based on the "sovereignty of the Scottish people" and I think the SNP have forgotten their audience to be honest because they are so focused with that one thing.

There will be many people from both sides of the fence that maybe voted SNP last time and perhaps think, you need to look after the people first and foremost. If your record is patchy on Education, Healthcare etc.. places where lives are affected on a personal level, Indy may well be a secondary concern. 

I'd also add after Brexit and Covid,  folk are tired of listening to these constitutional wranglings, constant bickering, debates etc. Folk just want an easy life and a good standard of living. Right now you couldn't say that we have an easy life. Folk are losing their jobs, everyone's trapped inside their house. It's a nightmare. I've supported Indy since I was politically aware in my early teens but tbh, Independence isn't even on the radar at the minute.

So personally, I don't think it is a slam dunk that the SNP will win a majority at the next Scottish Parliamentary Elections. I think this one will be very much a case of 'which party can do what for me.'

Edited by Cruyff

1 hour ago, Spitonastranger said:

You know the 3500 are people who have not responded to calls or texts to them, but don't let that get in your way. After last night a tourney and independence :) 

It will be my 4th "tourney" Deity worshipper. What about you? 

58 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That's just what I see on Twitter or on here. Don't get me wrong the SNP has done some good things too but if you put a macro goal of Indy over policies that affect peoples lives in the short to medium term, you're going to end up out of office. 

The entire Scottish constitutional philosophy is based on the "sovereignty of the Scottish people" and I think the SNP have forgotten their audience to be honest because they are so focused with that one thing.

There will be many people from both sides of the fence that maybe voted SNP last time and perhaps think, you need to look after the people first and foremost. If your record is patchy on Education, Healthcare etc.. places where lives are affected on a personal level, Indy may well be a secondary concern. 

I'd also add after Brexit and Covid,  folk are tired of listening to these constitutional wranglings, constant bickering, debates etc. Folk just want an easy life and a good standard of living. Right now you couldn't say that we have an easy life. Folk are losing their jobs, everyone's trapped inside their house. It's a nightmare. I've supported Indy since I was politically aware in my early teens but tbh, Independence isn't even on the radar at the minute.

So personally, I don't think it is a slam dunk that the SNP will win a majority at the next Scottish Parliamentary Elections. I think this one will be very much a case of 'which party can do what for me.'

"Which party can do what for me" is exactly as it SHOULD be but as you know, we live in strange times.

You can never fully trust the polls. Well, not 2 or 3 on their own but when you get around 15 in a row from various companies all showing the same thing, you must realise its looking like the worm has turned.

As much as I enjoyed reading your post Cruyff, I think we will have to agree to disagree. I think it's a nailed on certainty however; we will both know in a matter of months I suppose.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Then your dislike is misplaced as far as JKB is concerned anyway. Almost every Indy supporter on here at least, is sick of the SNP but as is frequently pointed out by many, yourself included, there is no feasible alternative. At least indy makes us totally responsible for our actions and will concentrate minds imo.  Many at the top of the SNP don't want indy and it will be this that destroys them imo. There might be one last chance for them but i doubt it.

You really didn't think the SNP were going to be viable after Indy did you?

23 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

"Which party can do what for me" is exactly as it SHOULD be but as you know, we live in strange times.

You can never fully trust the polls. Well, not 2 or 3 on their own but when you get around 15 in a row from various companies all showing the same thing, you must realise its looking like the worm has turned.

As much as I enjoyed reading your post Cruyff, I think we will have to agree to disagree. I think it's a nailed on certainty however; we will both know in a matter of months I suppose.

Are the polls relating to Indy and who is seen as the most favourable leader?

Clearly NS has shown good leadership, she's in front of the cameras everyday. So that doesn't surprise me if she is seen as 'more popular'.

I understand the polls for Indy are around 55% in favour but neither of those things are relevant to whether the SNP get a majority imo. That's based on a referendum question. 

13 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Then your dislike is misplaced as far as JKB is concerned anyway. Almost every Indy supporter on here at least, is sick of the SNP but as is frequently pointed out by many, yourself included, there is no feasible alternative. At least indy makes us totally responsible for our actions and will concentrate minds imo.  Many at the top of the SNP don't want indy and it will be this that destroys them imo. There might be one last chance for them but i doubt it.

You really didn't think the SNP were going to be viable after Indy did you?

I think some folk pretend to dislike the snp but clearly their ardent defence of the snp on here suggests to me otherwise.

I don't think any of the parties (perhaps the Greens) are viable post Independence. Lab, Con, Lib are all unionist partisans and the snp are nationalists. None of them can continue in their current format post Indy.

If you look at the Rep. Of Ireland for example. Their economy has grown at a ridiculous rate of noughts since they've had a right of centre government. Something that perhaps would be beneficial to Scotland but it couldn't come under a party which is conflated by the same British Conservatism that exists at the moment. So i'd imagine a post indy Parliament would look very different. I'd hope so.

18 hours ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

Wtf you on about. 

He is extolling the virtues of Phillipa Whitford and Tommy Sheppard, and stating that the SNP should do more to have they two in the public limelight.

I have to say I agree, especially around Whitford. She seems to be a cracking MP.

Spitonastranger
2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

It will be my 4th "tourney" Deity worshipper. What about you? 

Deity worshipper,what you like, didnae answer the question though Boris Boy