Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Lovecraft

Amazing stuff.

Who is your favourite prog rock band?  Anyone know any decent heavier rock ones?

Pink Floyd are one of my favourite bands ever, but I just don't see them as prog rock.  Yeah, their early stuff was more prog rock, but not after Atom Heart Mother.  Not sure how I would class them.  Psychedelic rock?

.........and then God gave us The Ramones........

I never got the elaborate indulgent nature of the ELP "type" of prog band, but listen to more modern what may be called "prog" Fields of the Nephilim albums "The Nephilim" and " Elyzium" have a definate concept prog like feel to them, also Secret Machines have been a favourite of mine but I'm much more of a Ramones man.

You cant deny the talent of the musician's in the 70's prog bands but i think they could've expressed this in less than 20 minutes per song!

Mastodon have gone a bit prog since their early metal albums.

The band Budgie, had a lot of Elements of Prog Rock in In for the Kill and Bandolier. I think Rush were heavily influenced by them but they are defo hard rock. 

Black Mountain have a good few prog tunes

I’ll second Mastodon. Leviathan is ******* skull crushingly heavy prog. Concept album about Moby Dick

Edited by Jamhammer

13 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Amazing stuff.

Who is your favourite prog rock band?  Anyone know any decent heavier rock ones?

Pink Floyd are one of my favourite bands ever, but I just don't see them as prog rock.  Yeah, their early stuff was more prog rock, but not after Atom Heart Mother.  Not sure how I would class them.  Psychedelic rock?

For me, ELP are everything bad about prog rock, and Genesis everything good 🙂

Pink Floyd I'd classify as the greatest band ever, who like Rush, are bands who had prog albums, rather than be being  prog bands.

On a side note, King Crimson's guitarist was on stage with Al Murray last year. Great double act  :rock2:

I listen to pretty much any kind of music but for some reason prog has never been something for me. I like period of King Crimson when Adrian Belew joined them.