SFA Slammed

Kiwidoug

Just read that this person presented a blueprint for the game in Scotland 10 years ago but the SFA has done nothing about it.  He believes other countries have left us miles behind and the facts would back that up.

We've all read over the last year or so that two women, AB and Leann have attempted to shine a light on this but just been ignored.

The staggering decision re Keatings just leads me to believe that nothing will ever change under the governance of the current authorities.

It's worth reading McLeish's comments and it's utterly depressing.

4 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Just read that this person presented a blueprint for the game in Scotland 10 years ago but the SFA has done nothing about it.  He believes other countries have left us miles behind and the facts would back that up.

We've all read over the last year or so that two women, AB and Leann have attempted to shine a light on this but just been ignored.

The staggering decision re Keatings just leads me to believe that nothing will ever change under the governance of the current authorities.

Needs totally cleared out and their offices moved out of Glasgow.  It will never happen though. Far to many Old Firm lovers employed there. No matter how much they try to cover it up, the stench of corruption is never far away. They have no intention of being a part of any sort of meaningful reform of the governance of the game here and that's why at National level were are now a fourth rate football nation.

Millions of taxpayer money went into the funding of that report, which McLeish spent years compiling, only for the SFA to completely overlook everything.

A completely shambolic organisation from top to bottom, and the failures of the national team are exactly what they deserve.

Nothing in that report suits the old firm and thats why it’ll never change. 
The SFA disgust me.
I dont even watch Scotland games anymore. 

Nelly Terraces

'The McLeish Report' is used for wedging a door open in the SFA offices. 

It replaced the one the Dutch guy Rinus Michels did on how shite Scottish football was in the 70s.

Diadora Van Basten

I just thought the McLeish report was rubbish. If it had been good then more of it would have been implemented by now.

I think Iceland’s model would work far better for Scotland.

Салатные палочки

We haven't qualified for a major tournament for 22 years.  In that time Ireland, Wales, Iceland, Latvia and Finland have qualified for major tournaments.  

That alone should be enough for this corrupt joke of an organisation to be cleaned out from top to bottom.  

8 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I just thought the McLeish report was rubbish. If it had been good then more of it would have been implemented by now.

This bunch of backward thinking idiots think the Iceland model involves 50 pastry finger picky foods for a fiver. 

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Millions of taxpayer money went into the funding of that report, which McLeish spent years compiling, only for the SFA to completely overlook everything.

A completely shambolic organisation from top to bottom, and the failures of the national team are exactly what they deserve.

The report wasn't taxpayer funded. It was commissioned and paid for by the SFA. It didn't take years to compile. It was commissioned in May 2009 and part 1 was produced within 12months. Part 2 followed around 6months later. I very much doubt it cost the SFA millions of pounds.

I disagree that nothing happened as a result. The performance schools for example came out of that review and the strategy produced as a result. You might think that what followed was the wrong things or that they were the right things badly executed, but stuff did happen as a result.

I considered writing a thoughtful piece about how the SFA have been inadequate for as long as I can remember, the reasons for that, and how the OF fit squarely into the equation, but it probably sums up my opinions on our national football body better to simply say SFA, Wank, Wank, Wank.

Edited by redjambo

Brick Tamland

The fundamental flaw in Scottish football, and the fundamental flaw in Scottish football journalism, is that everything is set up to favour and pander to Sevco and Celtic.

It has always been like this but I think it has got worse over the last few years. The blind eyes and ears turned to the bigotry is atrocious, the made up stories, especially recently, around Sevco are just ludicrous - Morelos worth £5/10/20M, the Morelos car brakes shite, Hagi who couldn’t get a game at his own club is worth €100M, Michael Stewart getting binned by the BBC for calling out Jim Traynor, the treatment on sportsound of Austin McPhee, the photoshop gob of Rudi, the lack of reporting on the appalling child abuse at Celtic, the James Keating incident...I’m sure others could add hundreds of more examples like Davisgate and list all the shockingly biased decisions given against us and other teams. 
The SFA isn’t fit for purpose and is a national disgrace - how on earth did Malky McKay get a high level job despite being punted for being a racist from his last club? Probably because he previously played with Celtic. It is a corrupt, dysfunctional and backward association and needs completely changed from top to bottom. 
If it wasn’t for Hearts I really wouldn’t bother at all and have zero interest in the National team. 

Shooter McGavin

SFA have put me off the national team. We don’t deserve to be anywhere near a major tournament under their tinpot governance. 

They can't even try and help Steve Clarke prepare for one of the National Teams most important games versus Israel.

They have cancelled their fixture card andvtaken theirvteam to the North of England to prepare.

We do absolutely nothing other than not having a Sunday fixture before this game which is on Tuesday.

It is really hard to imagine that they care for any football outside of pandering to the old firm.

59 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Appreciate the reluctance to drag another thread into politics but i strongly feel that football is, or rather was, such a major part of the Scottish phsyche but it has been draggged into such a state that the average Scottish football fan no longer gives a rats ass whether the national team is playing. Look at the bounce in English national pride when they do well. Consider the dwindling number of kids playing at the weekend or in schools. 

A good football league, a good national team all have a positive effect on national health, pride and even output. 

Football was to us, what rugby is to the Welsh, it no longer is. With the footballing authorities constantly lubing their jacksies and accepting tanything the old firm rdesire to ram up it, the league has become a national embarrassment. For those reasons, not forgetting the obvious ineptitude and corruption, the government should get involved. But all just my opnion. 

Politicians don’t want to get involved as it has to deal with the sectarian/bigotry/racist, issues which abound in Scottish football.

The GFA have done hee haw about tackling these issues, & without raking over the coals again we only need to look at the liquidation of the Huns & subsequent re-admission, all under their watch as a glaring example of how one or both these clubs have historically escaped justice from our governing body.

You are right re the corruption which serves only two clubs, it’s been going on for decades & is entrenched. 

There is one guarantee though, nothing will change.

I can remember it being talked about a massive reform since the days of Roxburgh.Look at nations like Iceland and Belgium it's no fluke we have to come up with a plan.What exactly has Malky Mackay done as well apart from pick up a wage since become performance director or whatever it's called.

manaliveits105

Petr15 has been a revelation since he elbowed his way to the top though ay - doing his best to help the vermin and feck the rest but keep Peter Lawless happy - mans a doughnut.

letsmakesomenoise
11 minutes ago, Phage said:

Wage cap and foreign player limit please

Thats when it all went south for the National team; when we scrapped the four (I think?) foreign player limit.  Old firm (and others tbf) immediately stopped investing in home grown talent.

53 minutes ago, Boris said:

Links

Well done Boris, I had a quick look on the SFA website but couldn't see anything. 

I'll try and watch them later, thanks. 

👍

Nelly Terraces
1 hour ago, Brick Tamland said:

The fundamental flaw in Scottish football, and the fundamental flaw in Scottish football journalism, is that everything is set up to favour and pander to Sevco and Celtic.

It has always been like this but I think it has got worse over the last few years. The blind eyes and ears turned to the bigotry is atrocious, the made up stories, especially recently, around Sevco are just ludicrous - Morelos worth £5/10/20M, the Morelos car brakes shite, Hagi who couldn’t get a game at his own club is worth €100M, Michael Stewart getting binned by the BBC for calling out Jim Traynor, the treatment on sportsound of Austin McPhee, the photoshop gob of Rudi, the lack of reporting on the appalling child abuse at Celtic, the James Keating incident...I’m sure others could add hundreds of more examples like Davisgate and list all the shockingly biased decisions given against us and other teams. 
The SFA isn’t fit for purpose and is a national disgrace - how on earth did Malky McKay get a high level job despite being punted for being a racist from his last club? Probably because he previously played with Celtic. It is a corrupt, dysfunctional and backward association and needs completely changed from top to bottom. 
If it wasn’t for Hearts I really wouldn’t bother at all and have zero interest in the National team. 

Great post. Pretty much said every single thing I think about Scottish football. Especially the part about apart from Hearts I don't bother about anything regarding the game here & quite frankly the National side can GTF - it's a Glasgow Football Assoc side pure & simple.

As for the media - you merely have to give radio Scotland on a Saturday afternoon a listen as evidence to how poor it is, incessant chat about the old firm & grown men like Willie Miller & Chick Young squabbling like children in an attempt to score points over each other, or morons like Doddsy & Derek Ferguson giving 'expert analysis' - it normally lasts 3 minutes before I switch over to Radio 5 for professional football coverage. And talking of the media...

24 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

The SFA will think everything is great cause both Rangers and Celtic are doing all right in Europe

So will the Glasgow Broadcasting Corporation mate.

17 minutes ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

Thats when it all went south for the National team; when we scrapped the four (I think?) foreign player limit.  Old firm (and others tbf) immediately stopped investing in home grown talent.

Met McLeish socially a couple of times he's a big East Fife and Scotland fan ,  as well as a former pro in his youth. He cares about Scottish football more than me , I'm only interested in Hearts. He blames the top league sides for concentrating on their own youth academies at the expense of regional centres which would benefit all teams at all levels. His book highlights the demise of Scottish club sides in  Europe and the international sides failure to qualify for anything.  Whether his proposals would arrest this decline is debatable but he certainly cares and wants the status quo to change.

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

All about an old firm.1, 2. They really dont give a **** about anything else.

Not normally one to stick up for the GFA but a fair few on McLeish's suggestions have made their way into the Scottish Game, maybe not as quickly as he wanted but they have happened!

- Womens football to be integrated into Club Academies - starting to happen more now

- Season starting earlier with a winterbreak - happening

- Regionalisation of the lower leagues - not in the SPFL but has happened with the pyramid and for things like the League Cup group stage

- he wanted 2 top leagues of 10 with playoffs between premiership and championship and getting rid of the split - still have 12 premiership teams and the split but the playoffs were brought in between all divisions

A lot of Mcleish's report was bluster, things like 'we need to beat teams with a higher ranking than us more often', well yes but he didn't actually say how to achieve that.

2 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Didnt McLeish say the importance of the old firm is paramount to the Scottish game and everything should be done to support them... or something like that... 

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

They can't even try and help Steve Clarke prepare for one of the National Teams most important games versus Israel.

They have cancelled their fixture card andvtaken theirvteam to the North of England to prepare.

We do absolutely nothing other than not having a Sunday fixture before this game which is on Tuesday.

It is really hard to imagine that they care for any football outside of pandering to the old firm.

I think there are already far too many games moved to accommodate International football. I also think those that run International football seem to think it is more important than club football.  It's not. 

1 hour ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Great post. Pretty much said every single thing I think about Scottish football. Especially the part about apart from Hearts I don't bother about anything regarding the game here & quite frankly the National side can GTF - it's a Glasgow Football Assoc side pure & simple.

As for the media - you merely have to give radio Scotland on a Saturday afternoon a listen as evidence to how poor it is, incessant chat about the old firm & grown men like Willie Miller & Chick Young squabbling like children in an attempt to score points over each other, or morons like Doddsy & Derek Ferguson giving 'expert analysis' - it normally lasts 3 minutes before I switch over to Radio 5 for professional football coverage. And talking of the media...

So will the Glasgow Broadcasting Corporation mate.

Aye should have included them in my post 

11 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I think there are already far too many games moved to accommodate International football. I also think those that run International football seem to think it is more important than club football.  It's not. 

I am talking about a one off game that could help us qualify for a major championship for the first time in many years which could help the grass roots level of football in this Country.

2 hours ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

Very valid point here... the last time Scotland qualified for a major competition, the 3 foreigner rule was in play (ie. more home grown players getting a game.)

I remember (a few years ago) there was a program about the state of Scottish football and they interviewed Craig Brown. He stated that the SFA had approached him for his recommendations. One of which was this - after France were dumped out of the World Cup (cant remember the year) the French football authorities hired Gerard Houllier to make changes... he introduced some variation of the old '3 foreigner rule' to the French leagues, and within a handful of years France had won the Euros and World Cup again.

Needless to say, according to Craig Brown, this fell on deaf SFA ears.

2 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Very valid point here... the last time Scotland qualified for a major competition, the 3 foreigner rule was in play (ie. more home grown players getting a game.)

I remember (a few years ago) there was a program about the state of Scottish football and they interviewed Craig Brown. He stated that the SFA had approached him for his recommendations. One of which was this - after France were dumped out of the World Cup (cant remember the year) the French football authorities hired Gerard Houllier to make changes... he introduced some variation of the old '3 foreigner rule' to the French leagues, and within a handful of years France had won the Euros and World Cup again.

Needless to say, according to Craig Brown, this fell on deaf SFA ears.

Couldn’t be done under EU law....maybe next year. 😊

itsnomarooned
2 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Met McLeish socially a couple of times he's a big East Fife and Scotland fan ,  as well as a former pro in his youth. He cares about Scottish football more than me , I'm only interested in Hearts. He blames the top league sides for concentrating on their own youth academies at the expense of regional centres which would benefit all teams at all levels. His book highlights the demise of Scottish club sides in  Europe and the international sides failure to qualify for anything.  Whether his proposals would arrest this decline is debatable but he certainly cares and wants the status quo to change.

I don't really get this to be honest. We're all interested in Hearts but football teams don't operate in a vacuum and it's important to Hearts that the overall game in Scotland is strong, which includes all the clubs and entire set up.

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Not normally one to stick up for the GFA but a fair few on McLeish's suggestions have made their way into the Scottish Game, maybe not as quickly as he wanted but they have happened!

- Womens football to be integrated into Club Academies - starting to happen more now

- Season starting earlier with a winterbreak - happening

- Regionalisation of the lower leagues - not in the SPFL but has happened with the pyramid and for things like the League Cup group stage

- he wanted 2 top leagues of 10 with playoffs between premiership and championship and getting rid of the split - still have 12 premiership teams and the split but the playoffs were brought in between all divisions

A lot of Mcleish's report was bluster, things like 'we need to beat teams with a higher ranking than us more often', well yes but he didn't actually say how to achieve that.

None of that deals with the OF cartel of Scottish football. They are the cause of everything that’s wrong in the past, present, & future of our national sport.

18 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Couldn’t be done under EU law....maybe next year. 😊

...I know legislation no longer allows  the '3 foreigner rule', but it was in some other sort of form.. THB I can't really remember... but it was something along the lines of the number of French players that had to be included in a squad.. basically - cut back on the foreigners and use youth.

Seems to have worked for them.

4 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

Wow, what a post.

absolutely nailed it.

100%.... Scottish Football in a nutshell. 👍

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

...I know legislation no longer allows  the '3 foreigner rule', but it was in some other sort of form.. THB I can't really remember... but it was something along the lines of the number of French players that had to be included in a squad.. basically - cut back on the foreigners and use youth.

Seems to have worked for them.

England have a good rule that could be implemented here, but would the ugly sisters approve? 

C2259E19-D247-438D-8678-E9ADCC937678.jpeg

Pasquale for King

Great post. All Mackay seems to do is interfere with the coaches of the under age groups, and make an arse of himself at Largs when he opens his mouth and shows how clueless he is at coaching courses.

28 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

England have a good rule that could be implemented here, but would the ugly sisters approve? 

C2259E19-D247-438D-8678-E9ADCC937678.jpeg

...TBH I would prefer a minimum of 17 home grown and a maximum of 8 foreigners.

This is why Ingerlund can't win the World Cup... their teams are full of foreign players. France, Spain, Germany all have far more home-grown players in their respective first tier leagues, and fair much better. Not rocket science, really.

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

...TBH I would prefer a minimum of 17 home grown and a maximum of 8 foreigners.

This is why Ingerlund can't win the World Cup... their teams are full of foreign players. France, Spain, Germany all have far more home-grown players in their respective first tier leagues, and fair much better. Not rocket science, really.

They do have sone great young players coming through, not many managers though to use them properly. I had a look at Russia and they allowed more foreigners in teams recently, up from 6-8. It would appear most leagues have a minimum amount of home grown players in squads or teams, the ugly sisters can be the only reason we don’t do it here. 
Teams would also need to pay over £25k a year, are footballers classed as skilled workers 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔?

I can’t paste articles just now but this is a brilliant piece in the Financial Times.

8795096B-24CE-44D6-95F4-3718BDE37029.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They do have sone great young players coming through, not many managers though to use them properly. I had a look at Russia and they allowed more foreigners in teams recently, up from 6-8. It would appear most leagues have a minimum amount of home grown players in squads or teams, the ugly sisters can be the only reason we don’t do it here. 
Teams would also need to pay over £25k a year, are footballers classed as skilled workers 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔?

Absolutely. I do believe they actually compare themselves to (or wannabe) an  English Premiership team... and the rest of the SPL teams are just nobodies.

39 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I can’t paste articles just now but this is a brilliant piece in the Financial Times.

8795096B-24CE-44D6-95F4-3718BDE37029.jpeg

Not read the article yet... but from what you've posted,  I think this would be a good thing for Scottish Football. Both at league level and national. 👍

Not quite true.

Quotas of home-grown players sounds nice in principle but a look at Russia and Italy will show that it's counter-productive.

The "best" homegrown players get hoovered up by the richest clubs, leaving the rest of the league(s) with mediocre players they are FORCED to play in order to comply with the regulations.

The best homegrown players have vastly increased wages and transfer fees due to this demand and yet barely try a leg on the pitch.

They are dissuaded from travelling abroad to hone their craft as they earn more at home, in increasingly uncompetitive leagues.

Quite happy to do the bare minimum at home and rake in the cash.

Both nations have stagnated or regressed since nationality quotas were introduced.

If you think the Old Firm have strangled the development of Scottish youngsters in the past, it would only get worse under imposed nationality quotas.

They'd only raid the rest of the league even more than they already do for young talent or for your best first team Scottish players.

Edited by Cade

2 hours ago, itsnomarooned said:

I don't really get this to be honest. We're all interested in Hearts but football teams don't operate in a vacuum and it's important to Hearts that the overall game in Scotland is strong, which includes all the clubs and entire set up.

I meant it's  more the international team I have little interest in though I include watching Rangers and Celtic on TV and listening to the sycophantic pundits on sportsound. Obviously a strong more competitive league set up with a  pyramid structure is what we should be striving for.

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

Not quite true.

Quotas of home-grown players sounds nice in principle but a look at Russia and Italy will show that it's counter-productive.

The "best" homegrown players get hoovered up by the richest clubs, leaving the rest of the league(s) with mediocre players they are FORCED to play in order to comply with the regulations.

The best homegrown players have vastly increased wages and transfer fees due to this demand and yet barely try a leg on the pitch.

They are dissuaded from travelling abroad to hone their craft as they earn more at home, in increasingly uncompetitive leagues.

Quite happy to do the bare minimum at home and rake in the cash.

Both nations have stagnated or regressed since nationality quotas were introduced.

If you think the Old Firm have strangled the development of Scottish youngsters in the past, it would only get worse under imposed nationality quotas.

They'd only raid the rest of the league even more than they already do for young talent or for your best first team Scottish players.

In Scotland's case I disagree... as I said earlier, the last time Scotland qualified for a major competition, only 3 foreign players were allowed per league team ie. the Scottish league was largely made up of Scottish players.

You rightly point out that the best homegrown talent get hoovered up - but they always have/will, so no change there.

Surely if larger national quotas were introduced, this could only be a good thing for Scottish homegrown 'talent'.

6 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

I am connected to Rangers sadly for the next season and a half, I’ve said this many times on here. When I am no longer connected to Rangers I can dive deeper into what I’ve seen and heard over the past year and a half.

I was in the players lounge for 20 minutes last night after the game and spent no more than 5 minutes in the directors lounge, with a players agent for full disclosure. I saw two current premier league refs in said lounges. I also saw 3 current premier league managers/coaches/players on a jolly.