Greavsie

Shanks said no

Shanks said no

New film about Jimmy Greaves shown on BT Sport late last Night

https://sport.bt.com/football/greavsie-the-bt-sport-film-charts-the-rise-fall-and-rebirth-of-jimmy-greaves-S11364432129481

I would highly recommend it, some great football action from the 60’s and numerous mentions and clips including Dave Mackay 

The White Cockade
22 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

New film about Jimmy Greaves shown on BT Sport late last Night

https://sport.bt.com/football/greavsie-the-bt-sport-film-charts-the-rise-fall-and-rebirth-of-jimmy-greaves-S11364432129481

I would highly recommend it, some great football action from the 60’s and numerous mentions and clips including Dave Mackay 

He was an unbelievable finisher

Stayed cool and passed the all into the net 

My half sister

I watched it last night, it was outstanding, the man has a great story to tell, not all positive but he comes over as a decent guy. I read his book many years ago and his fight with the bottle is an inspiration to others.

1 hour ago, My half sister said:

I watched it last night, it was outstanding, the man has a great story to tell, not all positive but he comes over as a decent guy. I read his book many years ago and his fight with the bottle is an inspiration to others.

Hibs still fighting with the bottle season on season.

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, graygo said:

Jimmy Grieves from Peebles?  😁

Nah, this was a documentary about Jimmy Greaves from Manor Park, London

However, feel free to merge Mods

Met him a couple of times in the "King Harold" in Harold Wood, Essex.  Great fun but he could hardly stand!  

Just like Gerd Muller though, he knew how to score in the six yard box.

Just finished watching it after recording it. Didn’t realise how a top player he was and that spurs side from the 60s with ofcourse our own Dave Mackay, good watch

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Would be worth £500m in today’s market.  Nobody would come close.  What a player.

I disagree, the Lawman was just as deadly.

Watched it on Tuesday after champs league,  he was superb tho there must have been some shenanigans as to why he wasnt in the 66 team.

Sadly Denis Law an Ian St John looking ancient,  but were all catching up 😪

6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I disagree, the Lawman was just as deadly.

Greavsie is the all time record goal scorer in top flight English football.  Denis Law is joint 26th.

Can't wait to see it. My memory of Greavsie was watching him on Saturday morning with the Saint. 

This is a classic episode, the goal at the Airdrie v Falkirk game is a hoot!

(And that theme music, please)

7 hours ago, rory78 said:

Greavsie regularly commented during "Saint and Greavsie" on any topic Hearts were mentioned in that he loved the colour of our tops 👍

Loved that TV show.

35 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Greavsie is the all time record goal scorer in top flight English football.  Denis Law is joint 26th.

Law was still as deadly as him.

6 hours ago, dryJTlaw said:

Watched it on Tuesday after champs league,  he was superb tho there must have been some shenanigans as to why he wasnt in the 66 team.

Sadly Denis Law an Ian St John looking ancient,  but were all catching up 😪

Wasn’t it Greaves that was injured, resulting in a call up for Geoff Hurst? I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that Hurst was a late call up.

It should have been ten
13 hours ago, rory78 said:

Greavsie regularly commented during "Saint and Greavsie" on any topic Hearts were mentioned in that he loved the colour of our tops 👍

Cracking show, nowt comes close to it on tv sport now. 

7 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Would be worth £500m in today’s market.  Nobody would come close.  What a player.

Seeing the state of the pitches back then just imagine how good him and those in the same class would be on the pitches nowadays 😱 

It should have been ten
13 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Wasn’t it Greaves that was injured, resulting in a call up for Geoff Hurst? I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that Hurst was a late call up.

Correct 👍🏼

8 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Just think of some the players from back in the day, having the protection the likes of C. Ronaldo and Wee Messi have today. They'd be a joy to watch.

The likes of Greavsie, Wee Diego, Best, Zico and Platini. Defenders would piss their pants at the thought of trying to stop them. :D Some bang average players get away with fraud these days.

6 hours ago, Deodato said:

Can't wait to see it. My memory of Greavsie was watching him on Saturday morning with the Saint. 

Theme tune just reminds of the best World Cup ever. Mexico 86.

9 hours ago, Deodato said:

Ultra nostalgia.  Loved those two.  Proof that you can be knowledgeable about football and funny at the same time without stooping to offending folk or pestering women. 

4 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

He missed the semi but was fit for the final. Ramsay had to choose between him and Hurst

13 minutes ago, dryJTlaw said:

He missed the semi but was fit for the final. Ramsay had to choose between him and Hurst

He missed the quarter final too. He never forgave Ramsay for not picking him for the final.

17 minutes ago, dryJTlaw said:

Thanks. Knew he hadn’t been left out entirely. That was one lucky manager. Two goals that likely wouldn’t have stood these days. VAR would rule out the 3rd and no goal would stand with, “people on the pitch!”

He scored from further away than just the 6 yard box! Some of his shots were ferocious other goals more subtle. There was one scene in the documentary where Dave Mackay leapfrogs the goalie when a goal is scored - it may even have been Dave that scored. Fantastic player.

I remember bumping into Saint and Greavsie in Bratissani’s in Newington. Spoke to them quite a bit and They had been at Tynecastle for a game and Jimmy had a soft spot for Hearts and loved our stadium. 

Shanks said no
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

He missed the quarter final too. He never forgave Ramsay for not picking him for the final.

what I didn’t know until I watched the documentary was that he had hepatitis in 1965 and only got back playing in early 1966. There were doubts he would last 90 minutes plus extra time (no subs allowed)

• 1 month later...
The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Been admitted to hospital he won’t have the strength to fight if anything serious.

How do you know he won’t have the strength?

Get well soon Greavsie.

Get well soon Greavsie and hope you recover. Loved their show back in the day and one of the few genuine Englishmen on tv sports that I like. 

John Findlay
54 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Been admitted to hospital he won’t have the strength to fight if anything serious.

Get well soon Jimmy Greaves