Stendel has heard too many excuses

H2

Pressure is now on stendel to get it right. He’s the manager and needs to get the players to perform. We should have everyone back training and confidence/determination should be there. Tactics are key and as I keep saying, Stendel  needs to balance what he believes in with Scottish football; relegation battle; and players we have. Not rocket science. We have time to work together and prepare for battle as that is what it is. 

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• GinRummy

• Ethan Hunt

• Pasquale for King

18 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43838627

It was 20 games. Levein also liked the fact he couldn’t run. When Levein made the famous “It was a good laugh eh” quote nobody knew at the time he was actually referring to his idiotic signing policy.

Levein tried to get SM a few times over the years. Stubbornly, he still went after him even though he clearly wasn’t good enough at his age. Why buy a player who you think can only manage 10-20 games? Get a player who is young enough and fit enough to play as and when required. 

I think we're just Shit.

Like really Shit, no team ethic, no fight, no real strategy and I seriously don't think the players really care that much. 

I hope Daniel stays on though, clears the decks and puts some sort of strategy in place for the future. 

We've become a decent sized club with a very good revenue stream and the previous "management team" couldn't handle it. 

I think Daniel can given time. 

It’s time Stendel looks within and realise that his tactics and press do not work when we don’t have the players to do it. All it takes to counter it is a simple long ball into either channel as our back line and midfield are all over the place. 

1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

I think we're just Shit.

Like really Shit, no team ethic, no fight, no real strategy and I seriously don't think the players really care that much. 

I hope Daniel stays on though, clears the decks and puts some sort of strategy in place for the future. 

We've become a decent sized club with a very good revenue stream and the previous "management team" couldn't handle it. 

agreed. The team has no idea how to deploy his tactics properly. Fitness seems to be an issue as we press for 20 mins then look knackered. A good preseason geared up for his tactics with the right players and it could work. 

Don’t think the idea of McLean was a bad one. He was reliable back up for St Johnstone for a while and was signed to be the same for us. Just wasn’t meant to be relied on as heavily as he was. 

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Don’t think the idea of McLean was a bad one. He was reliable back up for St Johnstone for a while and was signed to be the same for us. Just wasn’t meant to be relied on as heavily as he was. 

Correct.

5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I think we're just Shit.

Hope so. Agree with everything except the last line, which I hope is true, but just far from certain imo.

2 minutes ago, Jamie3lb said:

agreed. The team has no idea how to deploy his tactics properly. Fitness seems to be an issue as we press for 20 mins then look knackered. A good preseason geared up for his tactics with the right players and it could work. 

Disagree about fitness, we come on strong at the end of games and none of our players start every week. So they're always fresh.

They're just not interested in playing for Heart's every week and going the extra mile, not one of them unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Hope so. Agree with everything except the last line, which I hope is true, but just far from certain imo.

You've taken a dislike to the manager that I'm struggling to get, its maybe no more than pedantry because every one else seems to like him....what am i saying,  yes, course it's that 😀😀😀

I like his honesty and honestly think Klopp would struggle with our current gutless performers. 

10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

This is old ground, but those players were mostly signed as squad players and they were elevated to first picks due to the injury situation. Levein himself said he signed McLean to come off the bench and play 10 or so games I think it was. White was a cheap punt. Wighton was a punt - cheap or very expensive depending on who you believe. The others were solid squad signings IMO. The keepers I'll give you but I think the error there was to give up on Zlamal and Doyle too quickly. Pereira was a panic signing and it was too much to expect a 19 year old goalie to suddenly be a commanding No. 1. Did we learn nothing from promoting Jack Hamilton too early?

Pereira is 23, he's more than old enough. Agree he was a panic signing though. 

2 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

You've taken a dislike to the manager that I'm struggling to get, its maybe no more than pedantry because every one else seems to like him....what am i saying,  yes, course it's that 😀😀😀

I like his honesty and honestly think Klopp would struggle with our current gutless performers. 

I like him and I want him to succeed. The constant poor results are getting difficult to just ignore though. 

5 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I like him and I want him to succeed. The constant poor results are getting difficult to just ignore though. 

I don't believe anyone's ignoring it, it's unrealistic to expect miracles with the shower of Shit currently wearing the shirt atm though 😭😭😭😭😭

23 minutes ago, AGoodLaugh said:

Pereira is 23, he's more than old enough. Agree he was a panic signing though. 

19 years old , 6'5" (according to Preston) a true jkb myth

12 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I don't believe anyone's ignoring it, it's unrealistic to expect miracles with the shower of Shit currently wearing the shirt atm though 😭😭😭😭😭

There are extenuating circumstances, there is no denying that. I don't entirely blame Stendel either; the players are letting everyone down badly. I'd also prefer he had a shot at showing us what he can do in the Premiership next season, not another wasted season in the Championship blowing away shite like Alloa and Morton. He needs to get us safe this season, and then we can see what he do with his own players next season.

42 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Teams that come back from 2-0 down have fight and do care .

Fs we have plenty problems why do people want to invent more ?

6 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

There are extenuating circumstances, there is no denying that. I don't entirely blame Stendel either; the players are letting everyone down badly. I'd also prefer he had a shot at showing us what he can do in the Premiership next season, not another wasted season in the Championship blowing away shite like Alloa and Morton. He needs to get us safe this season, and then we can see what he do with his own players next season.

This is the bottom line. Get safe and it’s all good and a rebuild in the close season. 

pettigrewsstylist

If he can't take this squad and gain one more point than Hamilton/ St Liedown,  over 22 games, then im afraid i wouldnt want him spending any more of  our cash, without 2nd line approval from a DOF type authority.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

MarkyMark 1874

The current team either don't understand the high press or are incapable of playing that system, either way, it's time to call a halt to it, before it's mathematically impossible for us to survive in the SPL . Revert to a bog standard 442 or 433 our current squad are more than capable of beating every team round about us at the bottom.

2 weeks off in the summer, then try practicing the high press until the start of next season, but, I'd give it 5 or so games, if it's still not working, scrap it or DS !

There is no way with the squad we have we should find ourselves stuck at the bottom !

But, it's all well and good playing the high press in Germany, where players there are brought up with it, but, outside of Germany. How many teams play the high press every week successfully ?  

8 minutes ago, MarkyMark 1874 said:

The current team either don't understand the high press or are incapable of playing that system, either way, it's time to call a halt to it, before it's mathematically impossible for us to survive in the SPL . Revert to a bog standard 442 or 433 our current squad are more than capable of beating every team round about us at the bottom.

2 weeks off in the summer, then try practicing the high press until the start of next season, but, I'd give it 5 or so games, if it's still not working, scrap it or DS !

There is no way with the squad we have we should find ourselves stuck at the bottom !

But, it's all well and good playing the high press in Germany, where players there are brought up with it, but, outside of Germany. How many teams play the high press every week successfully ?  

The current squad have shown they are incapable of playing any system or even basics of football.

MarkyMark 1874
2 minutes ago, Jambomb said:

The current squad have shown they are incapable of playing any system or even basics of football.

Sorry mate, disagree with you, DS has insisted on playing this high press every week !

When a system of playing gives the opposition a 2 goals start every week, it's time to look at this system, and at least pause it until we can move away from the bottom of the league ! 

30 minutes ago, MarkyMark 1874 said:

Sorry mate, disagree with you, DS has insisted on playing this high press every week !

When a system of playing gives the opposition a 2 goals start every week, it's time to look at this system, and at least pause it until we can move away from the bottom of the league ! 

we’ve played under three managers with the same squad and had similar results with different styles.

i think very few goals conceded have been due to high press,  most down to individual stupidity 

37 minutes ago, MarkyMark 1874 said:

The system doesn’t give teams a two goal start. The goalkeeping and the total lack of understanding in our new central defensive partnership, along with naive defending from Sean Clare has cost us. 

So far, the evidence is that DS isn’t a very good manager. He’s been outsmarted by both Tommy Wright and Brian Rice. He seems to lack the ability to organise or motivate the team and his lack of knowledge of Scottish football is shining through. Apart from that, everything’s great 🙁

Austin MacGlee
5 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Pressure is now on stendel to get it right. He’s the manager and needs to get the players to perform. We should have everyone back training and confidence/determination should be there. Tactics are key and as I keep saying, Stendel  needs to balance what he believes in with Scottish football; relegation battle; and players we have. Not rocket science. We have time to work together and prepare for battle as that is what it is. 

This is where I'm at. There is still time but decision making has to be spot on from every individual involved on match days.

1 hour ago, S Form said:

So far, the evidence is that DS isn’t a very good manager. He’s been outsmarted by both Tommy Wright and Brian Rice. He seems to lack the ability to organise or motivate the team and his lack of knowledge of Scottish football is shining through. Apart from that, everything’s great 🙁

He wasn’t outsmarted by Brian Rice. I was pissed and watching a dodgy stream of st Johnstone game so can’t comment on that one. 

So, being outsmarted is going through a period when you are trying to totally change our playing style and mentality?   

I’ll take the outsmarted stuff when it’s a good Hearts team you expect better from but being gazumped out of the blue.

5 hours ago, GinRummy said:

This is the bottom line. Get safe and it’s all good and a rebuild in the close season. 

Correct.   That’s the test for him.

Of course, a manager has to be be versatile and deal with different scenarios but this wasn’t really of his own doing.  In 98-99 it was JJs team. Started well then had a mare that threatened relegation. 

He knew his players though. Through the toil he’d have tried every trick in the book to see if something worked out, or made players play a different way. It was far from a shite team. It was a team in a rut but with hindsight you can see the manager and players were still together, they knew each other and wanted to fight.  

Edited by Debut 4

12 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Correct.   That’s the test for him.

Of course, a manager has to be be versatile and deal with different scenarios but this wasn’t really of his own doing.  In 98-99 it was JJs team. Started well then had a mare that threatened relegation. 

He knew his players though. Through the toil he’d have tried every trick in the book to see if something worked out, or made players play a different way. It was far from a shite team. It was a team in a rut but with hindsight you can see the manager and players were still together, they knew each other and wanted to fight.  

I think it’s only since Xmas that we’ve seen some signs that the team cares (for want of a better word) and are showing signs of the sort of team unity that could potentially pull us out of this similar situation. Typically that has coincided with Pereira’s abject form and the other issues at the back. I do think, given time DS would fix it, though obviously, we don’t have time. 

Edited by GinRummy

6 hours ago, Jamie3lb said:

It’s time Stendel looks within and realise that his tactics and press do not work when we don’t have the players to do it. All it takes to counter it is a simple long ball into either channel as our back line and midfield are all over the place. 

Spot on.

The players we have can't play his system.

He needs to realise this and go to plan B sooner rather than later 

Just now, Madjambo21 said:

Spot on.

The players we have can't play his system.

He needs to realise this and go to plan B sooner rather than later 

What system can these players play?

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

The system doesn’t give teams a two goal start. The goalkeeping and the total lack of understanding in our new central defensive partnership, along with naive defending from Sean Clare has cost us. 

When was Sean Clare defending? made up p***!

😉

2 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

When was Sean Clare defending? made up p***!

😉

😀 kind of my point. I do think he could learn but it’s an expensive lesson for us atm.

23 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

What system can these players play?

Whatever system shores us up at the back.

Think Smith has to play right back with Claire right mid for starters.

Smith is more likely to help when teams counter attack us.

We can't keep gifting goals away and trying to play catch up.

2 nil down to Hamilton at home was shocking. If they didn't go down to 10 men it would have been all over

4 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Whatever system shores us up at the back.

Think Smith has to play right back with Claire right mid for starters.

Smith is more likely to help when teams counter attack us.

We can't keep gifting goals away and trying to play catch up.

2 nil down to Hamilton at home was shocking. If they didn't go down to 10 men it would have been all over

We played the most defensive system in the league, latterly under CL and still lost or drew every game. 

Smith must play in defence.

Gifting goals won’t stop by changing the system. It might help a bit but inevitably we’ll score less as well. 

Agree.

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

We played the most defensive system in the league, latterly under CL and still lost or drew every game. 

Smith must play in defence.

Gifting goals won’t stop by changing the system. It might help a bit but inevitably we’ll score less as well. 

Agree.

Levein was too defensive I agree.

I feel we are just to easy to score against. If the team all press and do there jobs the system works but I feel some player can't do it.

Not got stats but I wonder how many goals have come from counter attacks against us.

If we could get the balance right we will survive and have next season to look forward to 👍

8 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Levein was too defensive I agree.

I feel we are just to easy to score against. If the team all press and do there jobs the system works but I feel some player can't do it.

Not got stats but I wonder how many goals have come from counter attacks against us.

If we could get the balance right we will survive and have next season to look forward to 👍

I don’t disagree. We could maybe tweak the system a bit but right now it’s individual errors and sometimes by 2-3 players during one opposition move that is costing us. Unless we cut that out I just can’t see us staying up.

18 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t disagree. We could maybe tweak the system a bit but right now it’s individual errors and sometimes by 2-3 players during one opposition move that is costing us. Unless we cut that out I just can’t see us staying up.

Finger crossed we make it out this mess and get back to being a top team again next season 🤞🤞🙏🙏

5 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Finger crossed we make it out this mess and get back to being a top team again next season 🤞🤞🙏🙏

Hope so. Seems a long way away right now. 

This defence conceded goals under Levein too including 7 in 3 home games against Hamilton Motherwell and Aberdeen.

The defence being poor is not a new thing under Stendel. It’s clear we aren’t helping ourselves but it’s been the same all season. Stendels tactics only heighten their inadequacies.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Mort said:

This defence conceded goals under Levein too including 7 in 3 home games against Hamilton Motherwell and Aberdeen.

The defence being poor is not a new thing under Stendel. It’s clear we aren’t helping ourselves but it’s been the same all season. Stendels tactics only heighten their inadequacies.

Indeed they did, at least we are scoring goals now. Smith at RB will help defensively but cost us offensively, but as long as there’s enough people in forward positions he will have more options than he used to have. 

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed they did, at least we are scoring goals now. Smith at RB will help defensively but cost us offensively, but as long as there’s enough people in forward positions he will have more options than he used to have. 

I agree about smith but still feel, with the form of Souttar and Halkett we need him more centrally. The only times we’ve looked solid all season is when Smith has played in central defence. 

5 hours ago, MarkyMark 1874 said:

What utter nonsense. The system isn’t the reason we have been conceding goals. We had a keeper that didn’t save anything, absolutely nothing. And we have had players making absolutely howling mistakes.

The system IMO is the only reason we have been scoring goals and putting up a fight.

8 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

sorry I disagree totally on this Maclean, Whelan and Hughes etc were not good back ups. Backups should be people who can push the players who are currently playing in the same position as them and this serves to keep these players at the top of their game. The players then had a no need to try mentality( who is going to replace them) and this has got us into this position we currently find ourselves.  I don’t blame the player like Maclean I blame Levein. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I agree about smith but still feel, with the form of Souttar and Halkett we need him more centrally. The only times we’ve looked solid all season is when Smith has played in central defence. 

Quite possibly, we could do with him at RB, CB and CH. I don’t think either of those two could moan about being dropped. Rangers will thankfully only play one striker which definitely helped the two CBs last time. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

What utter nonsense. The system isn’t the reason we have been conceding goals. We had a keeper that didn’t save anything, absolutely nothing. And we have had players making absolutely howling mistakes.

The system IMO is the only reason we have been scoring goals and putting up a fight.

6 minutes ago, Rods said:

sorry I disagree totally on this Maclean, Whelan and Hughes etc were not good back ups. Backups should be people who can push the players who are currently playing in the same position as them and this serves to keep these players at the top of their game. The players then had a no need to try mentality( who is going to replace them) and this has got us into this position we currently find ourselves.  I don’t blame the player like Maclean I blame Levein. 

Spot on guys.

57 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

In the league we are averaging the same number of goals a game under Stendel as we were before he arrived this season. But maybe that stat is utter nonsense too.

5 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

In the league we are averaging the same number of goals a game under Stendel as we were before he arrived this season. But maybe that stat is utter nonsense too.

Yeah it is. Utter shite. You could see the players weren’t on board the first 3 or 4 games which were just a continuation of our goal drought. They then started to ‘get it’ against Aberdeen and have scored in every game since bar Celtic away. Stats without context are pretty misleading. 

Edited by GinRummy