Stendel has heard too many excuses

H2

Geoff Kilpatrick

Thank God I have half of this thread on ignore. The quoted posts were bad enough.

Anyway, Stendel is right and those arseholes in that dressing room who think they are on a cushy number need told.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• GinRummy

• Ethan Hunt

• Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Thank God I have half of this thread on ignore. The quoted posts were bad enough.

Anyway, Stendel is right and those arseholes in that dressing room who think they are on a cushy number need told.

Love the ignore button. You probably have me on it too 😱🤔🙈🤪😆.

Edited by Pasquale for King

14 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Why would you assume he hasn't addressed it with the players also? It's not one or the other. I'd be inclined to think he's mentioned it in the media because he has had that conversation.

I can understand why he didn't have the conversation previously, you'd come in and naturally assume professional football players didn't need told about the predicament they were in. If anything, he's been naive at appreciating just how pathetic these lads are. 

I'd say most posters are quite rightly placing most of the blame on Levein and the players but are also accepting that Stendel bares a small part of responsibility as well. 

As I say, I disagree that was an issue. The reason I highlighted it was because someone asked for my thoughts on Stendel's comments on the players. My point was that the players not 'getting it' wouldn't reflect well on him either. If it was the issue, but he has dealt with it with the players, then clearly that isn't the reason we're failing to win games.

There are plenty of posters, many on this thread, who will come up with all sorts of bizarre excuses for why nothing is Stendel's fault and refuse to acknowledge he has made a single mistake. There is an entire thread on why if we get relegated we shouldn't blame Stendel. More importantly, if that article is to be believed, Stendel doesn't accept that our style on Saturday contributed to our problems. That is a worry for me, as it was clear to me that playing the full backs so advanced and trying to play the ball out from the back were contributing factors to the goals we lost.

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Doesn’t suit some people’s agenda though.

We know the reason why don’t we. Sad really.

24 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

:2thumbsup: spot on 

So you are in the "if we go down, we go down", as long as we back Stendel 100% camp too. I really don't get that perspective. My number one concern is that Hearts stay up. Guess that's why I deserve the face palms. It's me that has the weird views.

12 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Yes, apologies you go in for high quality debate like "You’re not a Hearts fan either". That wasn't on the Sun thread and was to a different poster. Seems your not entirely accurate either, so maybe time to drop the holier than thou persona, it doesn't suit you. Tell you what, when you have the decency to read my posts when you want replying to me, then I'll start worrying about whether you called someone "not a Hearts fan" or "a Hibs fan".

Oh FFS!!

The post you are referring was replying to someone who had replied to a poster called The Trumpet. The Trumpet is on my ignore list. I’m on very, very safe ground when I said he’s not a Hearts fan because, by his own admission, he’s not. So for clarity, he is NOT a Hearts fan. The Trumpet, is a Trumpet, but he is not a Hearts fan.

Given your childish behaviour in your last sentence then is clear your balls haven’t dropped to be man enough to admit you are wrong. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not yet!

King Of The Cat Cafe
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can't decide whether it would be a good thing or a bad thing if there was some section on the site we could go to see who has us on ignore.

Obviously I do not have you on ignore: us kings should stick together ;)

38 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Totally agree with first paragraph.

In relation to the rest we might be completely wrong, maybe Stendel isn’t the right man for the job longer term. But we are at least willing to give the man chance, and in my case especially given the cluster our club was, and to a far lesser degree still is. 

Agreed.

11 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Oh FFS!!

The post you are referring was replying to someone who had replied to a poster called The Trumpet. The Trumpet is on my ignore list. I’m on very, very safe ground when I said he’s not a Hearts fan because, by his own admission, he’s not. So for clarity, he is NOT a Hearts fan. The Trumpet, is a Trumpet, but he is not a Hearts fan.

Given your childish behaviour in your last sentence then is clear your balls haven’t dropped to be man enough to admit you are wrong. 

Nope, wrong again. The post I quoted had nothing to do with The Trumpet. It was on the Stendel Train thread. I acknowledged I was wrong that you call people Hibs fans. I won't ask you to acknowledge you were wrong to claim it was only one poster. I don't really care.

You tell people you didn't read their whole post, or that they aren't a Hearts fan, or that their balls haven't dropped and you think it is other people that are being childish???

We clearly disagree on Stendel. I'm fine with that.  I'd rather stay up than keep Stendel. You'd rather keep Stendel than stay up. I don't understand that mentality but happy to accept we disagree. I'm out.

7 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Nope, wrong again. The post I quoted had nothing to do with The Trumpet. It was on the Stendel Train thread. I acknowledged I was wrong that you call people Hibs fans. I won't ask you to acknowledge you were wrong to claim it was only one poster. I don't really care.

You tell people you didn't read their whole post, or that they aren't a Hearts fan, or that their balls haven't dropped and you think it is other people that are being childish???

We clearly disagree on Stendel. I'm fine with that.  I'd rather stay up than keep Stendel. You'd rather keep Stendel than stay up. I don't understand that mentality but happy to accept we disagree. I'm out.

Night, night!!

1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Nobody will look back on this Friday in years to come and talk about it’s massive importance. It feels pretty big at the moment, but things always do when you are living them.

Sorry I have to disagree with you.. people still talk about that Motherwell game with Tommy McLean in charge where we had to win it to stop relegation.. people still talk about the relegation party derby but I think this is part of the problem. The Apathy amongst so many hearts fans and the arrogance that were too big to go down etc!! Well, we’re not too big, we deserve to get relegated. We’ve been absolutely Honking  for 18 months with no sign of us being able to win one match let alone string 2 wins together.. we’ve not won out of Edinburgh in god knows how long.. what we need is players fans and everyone associated with the club to roll the sleeves up and dig in and fight our way out of this mess.. starting in Paisley on Friday! Make no mistake, this is an absolutely monumental game for Heart of Midlothian.. in fact it’s bigger than that! 

13 minutes ago, jambotony said:

Sorry I have to disagree with you.. people still talk about that Motherwell game with Tommy McLean in charge where we had to win it to stop relegation.. people still talk about the relegation party derby but I think this is part of the problem. The Apathy amongst so many hearts fans and the arrogance that were too big to go down etc!! Well, we’re not too big, we deserve to get relegated. We’ve been absolutely Honking  for 18 months with no sign of us being able to win one match let alone string 2 wins together.. we’ve not won out of Edinburgh in god knows how long.. what we need is players fans and everyone associated with the club to roll the sleeves up and dig in and fight our way out of this mess.. starting in Paisley on Friday! Make no mistake, this is an absolutely monumental game for Heart of Midlothian.. in fact it’s bigger than that! 

So conversely if we win it will it still be a massively important game in the history of Heart of Midlothian that people remember? Even if we still get relegated?

If memory serves me right we could have went down if Motherwell beat us. That is not the case with this game.

Everyone knew we were getting relegated the season of the relegation party. It’s remembered and talked about because of the complete and utter arse the Hibs fans made by thinking they would be the side to beat us and send us down. Party hats, balloons, invites, and low and behold they get relegated as well. Remembered for them Hibsing it more than anything else.

We have been pish poor fo over 18 months. That is ultimately the type of form that has lead to this situation. Do we need to beat St Mirren, yes, absolutely. Does it matter how we do it, absolutely not.  Will people really remember this game either way, maybe.

Ultimately if we are going to be relegated people will remember the actual game when it was confirmed, not some win or loss four or five weeks earlier.

Edited by Ethan Hunt

I trust Stendel to get things right and believe he will.  He could have done with much better luck regarding injuries and now illnesses but many of our rivals are similarly hit.

Crybaby players, if there are any, will be cut loose and we can only hope we can eliminate the basic defensive errors.

I think he sent the wrong message in the way he treated Berra. That was the club captain, someone who had respect and experience. While he might not have been playing at his best and on the decline, it would have been smart to have him on your side for the dressing room. 

4 hours ago, jambotony said:

That would be all well and good, except I absolutely think it’s possible we could go down. Still does not make it “our biggest game of modern times” though. Sorry... unless “modern times” refers to this season, maybe?

14 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

That would be all well and good, except I absolutely think it’s possible we could go down. Still does not make it “our biggest game of modern times” though. Sorry... unless “modern times” refers to this season, maybe?

Important game, no doubt, but far from our biggest game of modern times :lol:

By that reckoning, it's the biggest game since last Saturday.

We desperately need to win it, but still desperately as much not to lose it.

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Not if you weren’t born at the time.

That's irrelevant though as it's the Heart of Midlothian history of important games not an individuals. 

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Important game, no doubt, but far from our biggest game of modern times :lol:

By that reckoning, it's the biggest game since last Saturday.

We desperately need to win it, but still desperately as much not to lose it.

Exactly Tommy. Some absolute nonsense spouted on here at the moment.

6 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Yes, bashing Stendel because results have been an utter disaster since he came in and he doesn't seem able to recognise the mistakes he is making that are contributing to that. Given the dire situation we are in, I think we should have sacked him on Saturday evening. His main complaints about the player in that article seem to be that the players don't understand the situation the club are in. If that is the problem, that seems to me like the kind of thing it is the responsibility of a manager to get across to them.

Unlike you I back Hearts being successful over backing Stendel, so I doubt we're going to find much common ground. I can't get on board with this mentality of "if we go down, we go down" just as long as we all back Stendel and we get the privilege of watching him manage us in the Championship . My agenda is to see Hearts stay in the Premiership at all costs. If I was in Budge's shoes, I'd say it is less of a risk to replace Stendel now than to keep him on at hope something turns up. If you want to call that a "bash Stendel agenda" I have no real issue with that.

So which manager could step in right away and do the job? Not disagreeing with you because I don't know the situation regarding jobless managers in Scotland.  But dont say Warnock cos every football supporter in the uk seems to say him and there's no way he's going anywhere!

It should have been ten
5 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

So you are in the "if we go down, we go down", as long as we back Stendel 100% camp too. I really don't get that perspective. My number one concern is that Hearts stay up. Guess that's why I deserve the face palms. It's me that has the weird views.

You honestly think changing the manager now would make a difference to the outcome of the rest of the season. Gie yersel peace seriously. 

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I think he sent the wrong message in the way he treated Berra. That was the club captain, someone who had respect and experience. While he might not have been playing at his best and on the decline, it would have been smart to have him on your side for the dressing room. 

Berra had no respect left from the stands and that much was clear. We needed a strong leader on the pitch and he was anonymous this season. 

Berra could’ve stayed part of the squad. It was he who spat the dummy out and trained with the reserves.

Edited by kila

The Mighty Thor

I still can't make my mind up whether this is a decent interview with a salient point about the players needing to pick up 

Or

A huge poor workman blames tools piece. 

We'll probably know by 10pm Friday night. 

6 hours ago, weehammy said:

1998 cup final and 1986 at Dens were ahead of all the above (and this Friday).

This. 

Even the semi final vs Falkirk in 98 at ibrox. 

Aberdeen at tynecastle to qualify for champions league. 

Beating Motherwell to avoid relegation away back in the 80's

Kids are really showing their age here. 

7 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Some realism from Stendel there that some of his fanatical supporters on here could do well to pay attention to.

"results decide whether you are good or not"

This is the key one. His results have been so bad he is lucky to still be in a job. None of this nonsense about how much we've supposedly improved and that we just need to wait to implement his style in the championship. Results are all that matter to decide if he has been a success or failure.

"We have more quality than a lot of other teams in this league"

Perhaps now we can put this nonsense to bed that Hearts have the worst squad in the league and we couldn't possibly expect that across 22 games we'd manage to collect a point more than Hamilton after Stendel was appointed..

"I think when you watch the last game it’s not a problem of style"

But this is what worries me. It was a question of style on Saturday. The first goal from playing with our fullbacks so advanced they were basically midfielders and the penalty from a determination to play out from the back rather than ever just clearing our lines. It really concerns me that Stendel doesn't see this. I really fear we are going to get a repeat of the kamakzi tactics on Friday.

If he continues to play the way we have been , thread bare at the back at times , with the players at his disposal, we will continue  to be picked off , even by the Shite in our league and  ultimately we WILL be relegated. 

7 hours ago, Spellczech said:

How can it be the reverse? These players have to justify their wages. They are a disgrace. 

Yes.  He uses the word 'professional' quite a lot in that interview.  reminding the players that this is their job and is what they get paid well to do.  I know if I consistently turned up at work, having been told what to do, only to make an arse of it, I probably wouldn't have my job.

21 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

This. 

Even the semi final vs Falkirk in 98 at ibrox. 

Aberdeen at tynecastle to qualify for champions league. 

Beating Motherwell to avoid relegation away back in the 80's

Kids are really showing their age here. 

I’m 40. I disagree with you. It happens.

7 hours ago, TheTrumpet said:

Yes, but Stendel needs them.

And they’ll need clubs next season, but if we get relegated nobody will touch them.  They can all kiss their international careers goodbye as well.

The Treasurer
6 hours ago, Spoleto said:

It's not the players that have put piss poor tactics in place. 

In Stendel we trust ?????

The same players that were shite under Levein

the same players that were shite under McPhee

the same players that are shite under Stendel

a wee pattern there don't you think

8 hours ago, TheTrumpet said:

I think this maybe follows on from the gossip about dressing room unrest. Stendel appears to be a straight-shooter, and that is maybe unsettling a few of the Hearts players who have been living in the Levein comfort bubble. In all honesty I think Stendel is playing a dangerous game, he needs these players to perform for him. It's all well and good saying '**** them, they deserve all they get.' but he needs these players to continue to buy into the game plan. If players down tools then that'll be the end of Hearts in the SPL and Stendel as well I suspect.

Friday night is the biggest game in Hearts modern history, can they defeat St Mirren? Can they pull themselves back from the brink? Stendel needs every player on board to fight the good fight, press hard, and not chuck the ball into the net (put the gloves down Joel, you aren't playing for Hearts again.)

Hearts = our

They = we

The crucial thing is that Stendel isn't openly discussing HIM stepping up his game.     He clearly thinks his approach will work.    It might.    It might not.     It might not be the players' fault alone.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Geoff boasting again about the number of posters he has on ignore.    He's the most tedious character on here.    The irony.

I know. It’s his most common topic of conversation. We all know he always presses the wee “reveal comment” anyway button though. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Hearts = our

They = we

Quite how obvious the inconsistencies need to be, I’ve no idea. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The crucial thing is that Stendel isn't openly discussing HIM stepping up his game.     He clearly thinks his approach will work.    It might.    It might not.     It might not be the players' fault alone.

Stendel admits that he himself is under pressure and that all the preparation in the world doesn’t matter when things don’t go according to plan on the pitch.

He added: "It is normal in this club. I expected more from me, especially in the results.

“What we do and how much we work, the quality in our work is good. We are not happy about the results and the results decide whether you are good or not.

Takes 2 to tango. Yes, players have to get finger out and perform. However, stendel needs to get real with us and Scottish football and go with some appropriate tactics 

5 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Stendel admits that he himself is under pressure and that all the preparation in the world doesn’t matter when things don’t go according to plan on the pitch.

He added: "It is normal in this club. I expected more from me, especially in the results.

“What we do and how much we work, the quality in our work is good. We are not happy about the results and the results decide whether you are good or not.

Considering our results it’s hardly an enlightening moment of reflection from him admitting that is it  ? Crucially he believes the training and system is good and correct way to go. Well he better be right and hope it clicks very soon or it will be us that suffer not him while he gets his 3rd sacked pay off in a row. 

7 hours ago, Spoleto said:

It's not the players that have put piss poor tactics in place. 

In Stendel we trust ?????

Your not getting your old job back.

In fact you will probably not get a job in football again.

There is always gardening but try not to f... it up

2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Given the league placings it's not even the biggest game of the month; that was against Hamilton just last week.

**** the Daily Record. Will not click on that weegie scum rag.

As I skimmed down this thread are we honestly saying a league game v St Mirren is our biggest game in modern times

:vrface:

To be fair, it could be. Ladies and gentlemen this is after our '5 year plan'. What a farcical club Levein and the golden girl have made us.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

**** the Daily Record. Will not click on that weegie scum rag.

As I skimmed down this thread are we honestly saying a league game v St Mirren is our biggest game in modern times

:vrface:

To be fair, it could be. Ladies and gentlemen this is after our '5 year plan'. What a farcical club Levein and the golden girl have made us.

The guy credited with creating the copy & paste feature has just passed away. You are a lasting tribute to his work, a mind numbing boring one but a tribute none the less.  

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Considering our results it’s hardly an enlightening moment of reflection from him admitting that is it  ? Crucially he believes the training and system is good and correct way to go. Well he better be right and hope it clicks very soon or it will be us that suffer not him while he gets his 3rd sacked pay off in a row. 

It isn’t, but it is an acknowledgment that he does need to do better, so he did comment on his own performance, only if it was fleetingly. 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Given the league placings it's not even the biggest game of the month; that was against Hamilton just last week.

I can’t believe it’s even being debated tbh. Any Hearts supporter would tell you it isn’t. The Trumpet on the other hand, is here to enlighten us all about the club we support... a club who’s fans on here are all “rightwing arseholes”.

Just now, Paolo said:

It isn’t, but it is an acknowledgment that he does need to do better, so he did comment on his own performance, only if it was fleetingly. 

How do you improve when you are rigid in your philosophy ? The personnel isn’t improving so Unless the improvement involves change to his beliefs we are struggling. 

4 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I can’t believe it’s even being debated tbh. Any Hearts supporter would tell you it isn’t. The Trumpet on the other hand, is here to enlighten us all about the club we support... a club who’s fans on here are all “rightwing arseholes”.

I wasn't planning on heading up for the St Mirren game but I suppose I'd better now...don't want to miss the open top bus parade on the Saturday should we win.

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I wasn't planning on heading up for the St Mirren game but I suppose I'd better now...don't want to miss the open top bus parade on the Saturday should we win.

Absurd isn’t it. 

8 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

A popular opinion for many. Not for me however. 1998 comes after 2012 and before 2006 final for me. That’s if we can even call 1998 “modern times”? I certainly wouldn’t call 1986 modern times.

Both were bigger than this Friday is though, no arguments there.

I suppose it comes down to both the context and the fact subjectivity plays a huge part in how we view football. I'm not disagreeing with you about the importance of the games you have mentioned, I remember the final in 86 like it was yesterday. Bloody Aberdeen fans stoned our bus after winning 3 - 0. Couldn't get my head around that.  I digress, the point I am trying to make is that your views on the posters affiliation to another team are almost irrelevant in this situation. He may be at the wind up, but I can honestly understand the sentiment.

This Friday is a huge game in respect of Hearts remaining in the SPL. With eleven games left, we need to start winning now. Being cut adrift with limited confidence in the squad and injuries cropping up left right and centre does not instil me with confidence. Is this the most important game in the context of relegation in recent history, I would say yes it is. As I said, it's all about context.