Samsung Trade in / Early upgrade programme

hughesie27

Got an email from Samsung promoting their early upgrade programme which sets you up on a 24 month payment plan for their new phone. Each 12 months when they bring out a new phone you can upgrade for "free". You sign up to a new 24 month plan and you send them your phone back which effectively pays off the last remaining year on the original contract. 

Obviously this isn't taking into account the cost of your SIM plan which is separate.

They will also pay you for your old phone. I have an S10+ in perfect condition and they are claiming they will give me £310 for it. That's enough to pay off my current phone + sim plan.

I've managed to find a 5G SIM only deal with 02 for £8p/m (after cashback claims) 20GB data.

Basically the sums work out that I'll actually save money upgrading to the new Galaxy S20+ than sticking to my current plan for a year.

Question is does anyone have experience of that upgrade programme and has anyone sent Samsung their phone and actually got the advertised price?

Cheers!

I've pre ordered the s20+. Vodafone gave me £15 a month of my contract to trade in my s9 (which is effectively £360). Doesn't help with your question directly, but shows companies do value older phones if you're taking something new from them.

14 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

I've pre ordered the s20+. Vodafone gave me £15 a month of my contract to trade in my s9 (which is effectively £360). Doesn't help with your question directly, but shows companies do value older phones if you're taking something new from them.

Good to know ta.

Another aspect I thought of was what their attitude is towards if you lose the phone in the first year and replace it through insurance, would they accept a device with a different IMEI number.

I do the one through Apple and it’s better. All done face to face, so no dicking about with sending your phone back and hoping you get the price you want. 

That and it includes insurance in the price. 

28 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I do the one through Apple and it’s better. All done face to face, so no dicking about with sending your phone back and hoping you get the price you want. 

That and it includes insurance in the price. 

That's a good service. Samsung's going to cost me £49.75 per month for the phone, insurance and 20GB 5G sim.

I checked and they will accept a replaced model from your insurance company.

Not sure about insurance as I get that through my bank account.

My new Vodafone contract will be £51.90 for 24 months s20+ and the earbuds+. Unlimited everything and spotify (and 5g where I can get it). I was happy with that, given it's the s9 I'm trading in.

Edited by Do The Dance

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'm moving out to the sticks and will not be able to get fast fibre broadband yet...

Looking to get my wifi through a 4G Broadband Router for my SKY Q and Smart TV streaming etc. 

Anyone else in the same situation? 

EE offer this and you can check on their website for the 4G map they have to see if you will.get signal.

Think 4G tops out around 60mb/s

5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

👍

Cheers Hughesie.

I am a big EE fan but take their 4G map with a BIG pinch of salt and test before committing. The map shows me in 4G but I don't get a signal at all in my flat and have to use wi-fi calling.

Edited by Taffin

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I am a big EE fan but take their 4G map with a BIG pinch of salt and test before committing. The map shows me in 4G but I don't get a signal at all in my flat and have to use wi-fi calling.

Edinburgh seems to have a noticeable problem with signal strength. I work in the city centre and my signal with O2 is horrendous. 

Polwarth in general is a massive black spot as well. 

15 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Edinburgh seems to have a noticeable problem with signal strength. I work in the city centre and my signal with O2 is horrendous. 

Polwarth in general is a massive black spot as well. 

Try being on Three in Glasgow. Zero coverage at all in the city centre, it's painful.

I've been advised by phone 'experts' in my works IT, that Vodafone is the carrier you need if mainly near city centres. But my wife is on EE and seems to get good coverage almost everywhere.

48 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Are O2 decent in Edinburgh/East Lothian?

I work right beside Waverley Station in a new build office (less than 15 years old) and have a dreadful time with signal. 

It can say I have 3/4 bars but will take forever to load a webpage. I was with Vodafone before and they were miles better. 

53 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I work right beside Waverley Station in a new build office (less than 15 years old) and have a dreadful time with signal. 

It can say I have 3/4 bars but will take forever to load a webpage. I was with Vodafone before and they were miles better. 

Could be the office? I used to get no data connection/extremely slow inside but as soon as I was in the carpark 4G

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Could be the office? I used to get no data connection/extremely slow inside but as soon as I was in the carpark 4G

It’s no better once I step outside. My signal shows 4G but just won’t load anything at that speed. 

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

It’s no better once I step outside. My signal shows 4G but just won’t load anything at that speed. 

That's annoying, would do my head in 😠😠

19 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

That's a good service. Samsung's going to cost me £49.75 per month for the phone, insurance and 20GB 5G sim.

I checked and they will accept a replaced model from your insurance company.

Sounds like you should just keep the mint condition phone you already have.

43 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Sounds like you should just keep the mint condition phone you already have.

And spend more money?