Brit awards

Shanks said no

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Just saw that tit swaggering about with the Buckfast bottle.    What a tosser.     Can't ****ing stand his voice anaw.

I don't mind him. His music is shite but I would rather someone just acted like themselves instead of trying to be someone they're not. 

4 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I don't mind him. His music is shite but I would rather someone just acted like themselves instead of trying to be someone they're not. 

That's interesting though.   Is he being who he is when he strolls around with a Buckfast bottle?    I doubt it.      Generally I find his sort of demeanour as a bit contrived.    Plastic belligerence.

The thing to remember about the Brit Awards is its an industry event to promote artists and inevitability utter shite.

I would say that Foals are worth a listen:

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

That's interesting though.   Is he being who he is when he strolls around with a Buckfast bottle?    I doubt it.      Generally I find his sort of demeanour as a bit contrived.    Plastic belligerence.

Ach I'm not sure. Perhaps it is quite contrived. I do think he is a young lad enjoying his time in the spotlight. Let's face it his music isn't the best and there's not much room for manoeuvre. He should enjoy it while it lasts. Unless your making a political statement or you're making ground-breaking music and  you have a reputation to uphold, then you might as well enjoy yourself. 

I would hate to see the state I would be in given some fame and fortune. 

:olly:

3 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Ach I'm not sure. Perhaps it is quite contrived. I do think he is a young lad enjoying his time in the spotlight. Let's face it his music isn't the best and there's not much room for manoeuvre. He should enjoy it while it lasts. Unless your making a political statement or you're making ground-breaking music and  you have a reputation to uphold, then you might as well enjoy yourself. 

I would hate to see the state I would be in given some fame and fortune. 

:olly:

Fair enough.    I just live in an obsolete Utopia where the genuine music heroes made ground breaking music and there was no contrived art to their persona.

Genuine headcase or gtf.    

22 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The 2020 Brits winners in full
British male: Stormzy
British female: Mabel
British group: Foals
Rising star: Celeste
Best new artist: Lewis Capaldi
Best song: Lewis Capaldi – Someone You Loved
Best album: Dave – Psychodrama
International male: Tyler, the Creator
International female: Billie Eilish

Not ashamed to say I don’t know who half of them are

I won't be watching The 'Shits' until A Flock Of Seagulls get a lifetime achievement award - long overdue.

Tanglimara FTW!

AlphonseCapone
9 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's a couple of folk on the thread saying they like Billy Eilish, might check him out. 

First of all, quickly discovered it was a female not a guy. 

And took a few listens to some songs but ended up liking her. Downloaded quite a few tunes. 

Thread does come across a bit like a bunch of grumpy old men moaning that music ain't what it used to be.

Having said that, I have my 10 year old daughter to thank for knowing at least some of the acts.  The Mabel lassie is Neneh Cherry's daughter - one for you older guys.

I'd sum it up by saying that I could appreciate a couple of the acts but wouldn't by music by any of them.  Capaldi is just dire with his basic paint by numbers approach to song writing and then trying to sound like an even less unintelligible Adele.

I thought Celeste's performance was pretty damn good.  I liked the Dave performance - well, I could appreciate it as an example of its kind - but felt he kinda shot himself in the foot at the end of his award by 'sha''ing out' to his 'boyz inside', though no doubt they have been imprisoned for doing nothing.

The laddie Styles gave a decent performance but again, not my cup of tea.

Billy Eilish is the pop rave at the moment.  She's only 18 and she's a bit quirky.  Seemed a bit of an odd choice for a Bond theme, but I like it in its very understated way.  

39 minutes ago, Haken said:

Thread does come across a bit like a bunch of grumpy old men moaning that music ain't what it used to be.

Having said that, I have my 10 year old daughter to thank for knowing at least some of the acts.  The Mabel lassie is Neneh Cherry's daughter - one for you older guys.

I'd sum it up by saying that I could appreciate a couple of the acts but wouldn't by music by any of them.  Capaldi is just dire with his basic paint by numbers approach to song writing and then trying to sound like an even less unintelligible Adele.

I thought Celeste's performance was pretty damn good.  I liked the Dave performance - well, I could appreciate it as an example of its kind - but felt he kinda shot himself in the foot at the end of his award by 'sha''ing out' to his 'boyz inside', though no doubt they have been imprisoned for doing nothing.

The laddie Styles gave a decent performance but again, not my cup of tea.

Billy Eilish is the pop rave at the moment.  She's only 18 and she's a bit quirky.  Seemed a bit of an odd choice for a Bond theme, but I like it in its very understated way.  

It's her brother that does the music, the magnificently named Finneas O'Connell. Not sure where their family's from though, wish they'd give some sort of clue.

There's no doubt she's been styled and groomed by companies with dollar signs in their eyes but she's a likeable lassie and it's good to hear something a wee bit different. Not different enough to be really really interesting but, you know.

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I agree with posters who suggest this thread is a bit grumpy old men. Though that could probably be applied to  all of JKB😀

:spoton:

That's what I like about it.

21 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

A message? Really?

Some nobody going on stage throwing defamatory accusations around, telling every white person that votes a certain way how racist they are then ****s off in his limo to his penthouse to snort Charlie of a hookers breast?

It's the same old robotic hashtag pish with absolute no originality of thought.  The boy (who I did not know existed until this morning) clearly does not posses one of his own original thoughts.

Pretty relevant what he had to say. Especially what he had to say about Johnson given the recent employment of Andrew Sabisky. Although I’d imagine you’re the type to agree with a lot of what he’s said. Dave’s album is an incredible piece of work, covering a lot of societal issues relevant to today. You missed a trick though not mentioning his brother who’s in jail for murder. Not one of your better rants. 

1 hour ago, Koolkeith said:

Pretty relevant what he had to say. Especially what he had to say about Johnson given the recent employment of Andrew Sabisky. Although I’d imagine you’re the type to agree with a lot of what he’s said. Dave’s album is an incredible piece of work, covering a lot of societal issues relevant to today. You missed a trick though not mentioning his brother who’s in jail for murder. Not one of your better rants. 

I never knew 'Dave' existed until about 28 hours ago.  I know nothing of his 'music' or his family.

And yes,  I agree with a lot of what Boris Johnson says and my vote is his.

Edited by i8hibsh

It's hardly surprising that a fan of a 60s boyband chooses to find issues with today's yoof.   Bit ironic that 50% of that band of 50 years ago openly 'preached' love and understanding for their fellow man.

9 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Always a good tactic to mouth off at this kind of self-congratulatory gathering. Seems to have gone to plan for ‘Dave’, whoever he is, due to the press coverage he received. 

Exactly, no one would be talking about him otherwise.

3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Exactly, no one would be talking about him otherwise.

How did he win a an award, if no-one was talking about him?

13 hours ago, weehammy said:

Always a good tactic to mouth off at this kind of self-congratulatory gathering. Seems to have gone to plan for ‘Dave’, whoever he is, due to the press coverage he received. 

I don’t think you know what you’re taking about to be honest. He rapped for about 5 minutes, covering a number of topics and had 1 or 2 lines about Boris, which are accurate. It was the media who chose to pick up that line, because they know folk like you would get all excited about it. I’m not sure what age you are, but you’re probably not his target audience. And if you’re not into music in a big way you’re unlikely to know him. Although he’s pretty well known already. He won the Mercury Prize last year and best album at the Brits and there was big coverage in the summer after he got a lad up on stage at Glastonbury to rap with him. The ‘I don’t know who he is’ comment is just lazy and ignorant. Go and listen to his album or do some research. Did you even watch his performance?