Justin Fashanu - Football hall of fame

davemclaren

Now I know the reason he left the USA was never proven in a court of law but are we just supposed to kid on it didn't happen. I certainly haven't forgotten about it.

1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

Now I know the reason he left the USA was never proven in a court of law but are we just supposed to kid on it didn't happen. I certainly haven't forgotten about it.

Why would you have to forget about it?

38 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Alex Young? 

I had a very quick scan of their list of inductees and I didn't see him in there - he was the other one I immediately thought of. But I did see Dave Mackay's name.

51 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Why would you have to forget about it?

I don't have to, I just do. 

Sorry for having a memory 😭

SectionDJambo

I remember this from when I sat in the old enclosure many years ago.

Justin was playing for Airdrie, against us. There was a stoppage in play, causing him to be standing just in front of our area, near the side of the pitch. A guy behind us shouted something derogatory at him, which he clearly heard, as did everybody else in the vicinity. Justin looks round, in the direction where he knows this comment has come from, a gives a look which ensures no further comment from our man in the crowd. Nothing else is said or done.

The next season, Justin has signed for Hearts, and in his first home game, is standing just across from our area again. He has a look round in the direction of our, not so vocal today, Hearts fan. The guy in the crowd then pipes up, "aye, I'm still here, Justin", in a quite sheepish tone. Justin smiles, and hoots of derision and mirth come from all around the guy. And all is well again.

SectionDJambo
4 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

He was before I really got into football.

Was he any good and what type of player was he?

We got him at the end of his career. He was a big guy, with no little skill to go with his physique. We didn't have a particularly good team at the time, so he wasn't part of a side liable to do that well. He had certainly been a good player in his younger days in England.

If my memory is correct, Wallace sacked him for him going public on a relationship he said he had had with a Conservative politician. I think the politician denied it, making it all rather murky in the press. A very unfortunate end to his time with us.

He was a very, very good striker. His personal life sadly killed his career. Played in a time when to be an openly homosexual football player was just not possible and, I think trying to keep that side of his life secret until the latter stages of his career tortured him. There's a very good doc about him that shows what a dick his brother John was at the time. Past his best when he came to us but had been a top player

Tokyo Drifter

Only saw him play for us a couple of times but thought he was decent. Very sad end. Different times, though sadly not as different as they ought to be.

Bazzas right boot
57 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Only saw him play for us a couple of times but thought he was decent. Very sad end. Different times, though sadly not as different as they ought to be.

Mm, he was utter shite for us imo. 

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

He was a very, very good striker. His personal life sadly killed his career. Played in a time when to be an openly homosexual football player was just not possible and, I think trying to keep that side of his life secret until the latter stages of his career tortured him. There's a very good doc about him that shows what a dick his brother John was at the time. Past his best when he came to us but had been a top player

A very well produced documentary which was produced by his niece Amal, mentioned in the linked article above. 

He was a tremendous prospect but his personal life took its toll on his career. The amount of racist and homophobic abuse he suffered was awful.  His brothers lack of support for him probably played a part (as well as the pending court case) in him taking his own life. 

My memories of him at Hearts were that he was nowhere near as effective for us as he was for Airdrie. 

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Saw him play for us a few times as well and thought he was distinctly average. Built a career on the back of one fantastic goal. 

Weakened Offender

There were people at the time who suggested he was bumped off after getting close to high up, very dodgy men who liked young lads. 

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

A very well produced documentary which was produced by his niece Amal, mentioned in the linked article above. 

He was a tremendous prospect but his personal life took its toll on his career. The amount of racist and homophobic abuse he suffered was awful.  His brothers lack of support for him probably played a part (as well as the pending court case) in him taking his own life. 

My memories of him at Hearts were that he was nowhere near as effective for us as he was for Airdrie. 

👍 sad carry on and not that long ago either. 

Playing wise, from our point of view, One of those guys who as @Jamhammer said was unfortunately well past his playing best by the time he was in a hearts shirt. 

4 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

We got him at the end of his career. He was a big guy, with no little skill to go with his physique. We didn't have a particularly good team at the time, so he wasn't part of a side liable to do that well. He had certainly been a good player in his younger days in England.

If my memory is correct, Wallace sacked him for him going public on a relationship he said he had had with a Conservative politician. I think the politician denied it, making it all rather murky in the press. A very unfortunate end to his time with us.

Uche?

He was rotten for us.

He also went to the papers with stories that were untrue.

Under age sexual abuse also getting investigated before his death.

Why would they allow him to be in the hall of fame.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Thommo414 said:

Uche?

He was a much better footballer than Uche. Even though he was well past his best when we got him, he had a presence on the pitch. 

Салатные палочки
10 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Mm, he was utter shite for us imo. 

This is how I remember him. 

He looked good in a dead rubber game v. Airdrie. Not sure if he was signed on the back of that but I thought he was shite. 

Салатные палочки
6 hours ago, benny said:

He was rotten for us.

He also went to the papers with stories that were untrue.

Under age sexual abuse also getting investigated before his death.

Why would they allow him to be in the hall of fame.

Call me cynical but it must be because he was black and openly gay. Certainly can't be because of his footballing ability. 

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Call me cynical but it must be because he was black and openly gay. Certainly can't be because of his footballing ability. 

He did score an iconic goal. 

Never went to trial, so the consensual part will probably never be known. The underage bit on the other hand is something that would not have been an issue in Scotland today,, as the age of consent is 16. 

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

1st £1 million player?

We also had Keegan.

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

He did score an iconic goal. 

For Norwich v Liverpool. I remember watching it on Match of the Day. 

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I thought that but for a hall of fame some of the stuff he did was shocking.

Surely they could have waited until they got a better alternative.

A rather tasteless anecdote from Clough's autobigraphy  (I read this 20+ years ago, so not necessarly 100% accurate)

Moaning about wasting a million quid on him, he pulled him into is office for a chat

Wiki

In his autobiography, Clough recounts a dressing down he gave Fashanu after hearing rumours that he was going to gay bars. "'Where do you go if you want a loaf of bread?' I asked him. 'A baker's, I suppose.' 'Where do you go if you want a leg of lamb?' 'A butcher's.' 'So why do you keep going to that bloody poofs' club?"'[

9 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

A rather tasteless anecdote from Clough's autobigraphy  (I read this 20+ years ago, so not necessarly 100% accurate)

Moaning about wasting a million quid on him, he pulled him into is office for a chat

Wiki

In his autobiography, Clough recounts a dressing down he gave Fashanu after hearing rumours that he was going to gay bars. "'Where do you go if you want a loaf of bread?' I asked him. 'A baker's, I suppose.' 'Where do you go if you want a leg of lamb?' 'A butcher's.' 'So why do you keep going to that bloody poofs' club?"'[

Isn’t it great that he had all that support as a kid and then a young man? There’s people who advocate going back to the days where this is the attitude we took to people that don’t match our own ideas of what a person should be. Sometimes being a bit more politically correct and showing empathy towards others is no bad thing. 

Still, poofs, weaklings, snowflakes etc, eh? 🙄