Quality of squad?

Cynic

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We started the season with Haring, Whelan and Damour as centre mids. On paper that should have been brilliant. Haring has never recovered from his injury. Whelan was good for a few weeks. Damour has never got going. Don’t think anyone said they were bad signings at the time. 

They're all water carrier/defensive type midfielders. Our problem is a complete lack of dynamism in there and neither Whelan nor Damour were ever going to address that.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

What has last season got to do with this season? all teams look stronger, we are weaker.

You would never think of the exceptional amount of injuries though?

25 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We started the season with Haring, Whelan and Damour as centre mids. On paper that should have been brilliant. Haring has never recovered from his injury. Whelan was good for a few weeks. Damour has never got going. Don’t think anyone said they were bad signings at the time. 

No I agree. Haring is quality and we’ve missed him. Both Whelan and Damour had pedigree but I don’t think any player has disappointed as much as Whelan. He was great for Villa but not the box to box mid we’ve been crying out for and just seemed to lose interest. 
Im well used to signing players I expect to do well here and it’s not just a Levein phenomenon either

Sutton, Wyness, Sammon, Reilly, et al did well elsewhere but failed here.

Kilmarnock, Aberdeen even Livingston have recruited better than us. It really needs to be addressed.

Edited by Jamhammer

15 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

No I agree. Haring is quality and we’ve missed him. Both Whelan and Damour had pedigree but I don’t think any player has disappointed as much as Whelan. He was great for Villa but not the box to box mid we’ve been crying out for and just seemed to lose interest. 
Im well used to signing players I expect to do well here and it’s not just a Levein phenomenon either

Sutton, Wyness, Sammon, Reilly, et al did well elsewhere but failed here.

Kilmarnock, Aberdeen even Livingston have recruited better than us. It really needs to be addressed.

Livingston have got Craig Sibbald, Scott Robinson and Marvin Bartley in midfield. Both them and St Johnstone just scoop up cast offs from other Scottish Premiership teams; which is why our squad should be comfortably mid table at the very least. Us and Aberdeen often compete for the same signings so don’t think their recruitment is necessarily that much better?

Tommy Wright, Stephen Robinson, Gary Holt would bite your hand off for our squad of players. Hell, I bet even Derek McInnes would swap a good few of his for ours. 

Yet here we are, after 3 years of shite we are staring at relegation. Tells it’s own story really. 

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I agree with this. Stendel has basically taken a squad of players and had to start from scratch. He likes to play football in a different way and I genuinely believe it will be very good when he gets it working on a regular basis. The one thing I cannot determine is whether he understands it yet but in Scotland playing over the top of the opposition rather than around it is a big thing and to combat that the defence has to be retained as well. Up here you cannot play all out attack with 8 players or so. Under the previous management over the top was the way we tried to play often and it didn't work, players are having to change what has been battered into them for too long. Our midfield has to learn from the beginning again because the past way of getting the ball and either playing it sideways or backwards doesn't fit into Stendel's attacking ideas. I think someone further up the page mentioned just going back to something like a 4-4-2 formation and that is probably the way to do it for the remainder of the season. I think Stendel could have a busy close season, with the only problem being that if by then we have dropped down a division will players want to come to us. We have no divine right to remain in the top division we have to play to keep that position and then look to build on that.

Agree. We must remember he got thrown into a highly pressured situation too.

He wasn’t taking on a mid table side who were underperforming and going into a less pressured environment.  The pressure was instant and he’s went all in with implementing his style rather than tip toeing over the weeks and feeling his way in....he hasn’t got the time for the latter.  

36 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Tommy Wright, Stephen Robinson, Gary Holt would bite your hand off for our squad of players. Hell, I bet even Derek McInnes would swap a good few of his for ours. 

Yet here we are, after 3 years of shite we are staring at relegation. Tells it’s own story really. 

Why would they want any of ours? Aberdeen are third in the league. The others are well placed for the budgets they have. Aberdeen don't need any of our players, the others couldn't afford their wages and on the evidence of the league table don't need them.

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That's not our job mate....

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Livingston have got Craig Sibbald, Scott Robinson and Marvin Bartley in midfield. Both them and St Johnstone just scoop up cast offs from other Scottish Premiership teams; which is why our squad should be comfortably mid table at the very least. Us and Aberdeen often compete for the same signings so don’t think their recruitment is necessarily that much better?

And yet they are sitting 21 points and 9 places above us. They don't seem to get half as many failures as we do. I know it's not an exact science and I know their support view Curtis Main like we did Sammon but there were a few on here wanted him. Every window we need a clear out and mass recruitment and it has to stop at some point. We need to be in a position where we are recruiting perhaps 3 players who will improve the squad. We've been crying out for a Hartley/Cameron type midfielder and a left back for years . Now have to add in a Goalkeeper and at least one winger.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

You could write a book. 

Huge holes in centre midfield 

No settled team 

No settled system 

3 managers 

Injuries 

All contributors to a cluster**** of epic proportions. 

11 games to go, very possible 7 could be away .

I don't see us having the spirit to get out of it. 

Squabbling every game,  booing from the stands. 

We may well have on paper one of the best squads, but there's no collective on the field or in the stands. 

Hard to see a way out since our star players have made very little progress