Having a Younger Boss.

ri Alban

Watching a report on the news about how young folk are being promoted because of there online skills, before more experience employees who still use pen and paper. 

Just wondering if this has happened to any Kbackers and if they are raging or not?

I'm a subcontractor with younger site supervisors and contract managers,  but they're stressed out their nuts dealing with site agents etc...  So no rage from me. (Just leave me in peace!)

You?

Captain Sausage

I’m 30 and I have a team of 12 who report into me. Only 3 of them are younger than me. Generally, I find that treating people with respect gets you pretty far. 

Some of the guys in my team have 30+ years experience in their field - they’re experts at what they do. I’ll never question their knowledge, just sometimes try to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. But just not being a dick seems to help. 

1 minute ago, Captain Sausage said:

I’m 30 and I have a team of 12 who report into me. Only 3 of them are younger than me. Generally, I find that treating people with respect gets you pretty far. 

Some of the guys in my team have 30+ years experience in their field - they’re experts at what they do. I’ll never question their knowledge, just sometimes try to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. But just not being a dick seems to help. 

Good advice.

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You mean he kent how to turn it off and on again?

If suggest that someone that age being promoted signifies that they want him long term, or that he has pics of senior managers they don’t want published! You need a bit of character to be a young (er) boss (actually helps for all ages). Look at Cathro - no charisma, poor results. 

It was the older employees own fault. They obviously refused to educate themselves in the relevant skills,(old school pencil and paper) forcing the employment of this young man. Can't really complain.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Watching a report on the news about how young folk are being promoted because of there online skills, before more experience employees who still use pen and paper. 

Just wondering if this has happened to any Kbackers and if they are raging or not?

I'm a subcontractor with younger site supervisors and contract managers,  but they're stressed out their nuts dealing with site agents etc...  So no rage from me. (Just leave me in peace!)

You?

My team leader is 10 years younger. He's a good guy even though he kissed ass to get to his position. That's one thing I won't do. Having said that, if you want to get on in a job, kissing ass is one thing you'll have to do.

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You mean he kent how to turn it off and on again?

If suggest that someone that age being promoted signifies that they want him long term, or that he has *pics of senior managers they don’t want published! You need a bit of character to be a young (er) boss (actually helps for all ages). Look at Cathro - no charisma, poor results. 

* No it wasn't Darren Fletcher. :D

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

My team leader is 10 years younger. He's a good guy even though he kissed ass to get to his position. That's one thing I won't do. Having said that, if you want to get on in a job, kissing ass is one thing you'll have to do.

I just promote and demote myself, depending on my mood. Subcontracting is a demotion compared to when I'm doing my own jobs, and it's better money doing my own jobs. 

Self employment has its good sides.

Edited by ri Alban

When I worked in debt collection, I was the team leader of a team of 10 - 12, most were older than me (I was in my early 20's). None of them had any issue with it, as far as I knew. It was all about ability and I was a tremendous debt collector and a decent trainer.

It's good that the days of being promoted for long service are almost over. It should always be ability (and attendance).

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

When I worked in debt collection, I was the team leader of a team of 10 - 12, most were older than me (I was in my early 20's). None of them had any issue with it, as far as I knew. It was all about ability and I was a tremendous debt collector and a decent trainer.

It's good that the days of being promoted for long service are almost over. It should always be ability (and attendance).

Did you enjoy being a debt collector?

I could and would never do that job personally.

Working for an multi national company I've found that it's much less of an issue with UK and German colleagues, they tend to look at how good someone is and not bother about age as much, Italians and Americans (too an extent) are much more hierarchical in nature so their noses seem much more put out of joint if they have to report to someone younger even if that person is more experienced in a certain field.

1 hour ago, Tynieman said:

Did you enjoy being a debt collector?

I could and would never do that job personally.

The money was amazing but my conscience took a beating. But someone has to do it, separating the can't pay to the won't pay was the best approach.

Back in the day we'd even find out what pub someone was in, phone there looking for them. I mind speaking to a guy and convinced him to get his brother to pay £4k off by credit card at 8pm at night, when they were in the pub. Calls weren't recorded either so if people were cheeky, you could go right through them. Nasty tactics and you can't do that now, it's all very much a customer service approach nowadays.

There was certainly job satisfaction but it takes it toll on you over the years and I had to get out. The difficulty was the bonuses were so good (usually a grand a month extra on your wage, after tax!), you'd struggle to find a job to beat the pay, so you're kind-of stuck in job.

We’ve both had experience of this and found it to mostly not to be a problem, but on two occasions (one for each of us) it most certainly was!

My boss is 14 years younger than me.

Best boss I have ever had. Hes brilliant.

Worked for far too many arseholes and even worse, Americans. Brutal.

My gaffer is a lad in his 30's from Wales. Brand new.