Junior Jambos Signing Event

Batistuta87

Took the wee man (5) to the signing event today, he was obviously delighted to meet his heroes.

One or two observations I had about the players and their demeanor. Should say that almost everyone said hello, most asked how are you/what's happening etc.... 

Table 1 Brandon/Cochrane/Moore: looked genuinely happy to be there, chatted away, spoke plenty to the kids, gave stickers and stuff to kids.

Table 2 Damour/Pereira/Stendel/White: Damour didn't say much, Pereira very polite and chatty, spoke to kids a lot, gave high fives etc, Stendel didn't say much, said hello, signed what he was given, moved on. White had a laugh and a joke, asked kids how they were, plenty chatting, arranged photos, and seemed a big personality. 

Table 3 Walker/Halkett: Walker said hello, took photos, that was about it, Halkett never said much either. 

Table 4 Boyce/Naismith: Boyce had his kid with him, was distracted with her which is fair enough but said hello how are you etc, very polite, Naismith happy to chat away and take photos etc.

Table 5 Haring/Garuccio: Both lovely guys, chatted away to adults and kids, looked through books, asked who the kids were looking forward to see, asked whose number was on the wee man's back etc - both looked happy to be there.

Table 6 Washington/Zlamal: Both sound, chatted away, asked how we were, who the wee man's favorites were, gave him extra stickers/cards, happy taking photos etc. Washington particularly nice. 

Table 7 Siebert/Meshino: Seibert chatted away a little, Meshino either doesn't speak any English or wasn't interested, didn't say a word. 

Table 8 Hickey/Irving: Hickey probably one of the most professional out of everyone! Chatted away, took photos, happy chatting to kids etc, remembered my kid from a previous encounter at a reserves game. Irving had a laugh and a chat with me while Hickey chatted with kids, both good guys. 

Table 9 Henderson/Langer: both exchanged the usual pleasantries and were polite and chatty enough, more so Henderson, 

Table 10 Avdijaj/Bozanic: both very chatty and friendly, had a bit of banter with both, both great with the kid - best table 

Table 11 Smith: was on his own with his wee boy, joked with him about babysitting duties, chatted away to the wee man

Table 12 Dikamona/Sibbick/Uche/Clare: Dikamona said hello how are you etc, Uche not interested, had his phone out, barely spoke, the wee man turned to show him his name and number on his top and he sort of blindly scribbled on it (which he wasn't asking him to do, he was just showing his number, telling him he was his favorite etc but he wasn't listening or didn't hear, wee man is happy getting his top signed either way). While there was nobody at his table I think I saw him ask Clare how long was left or something like that. Smiled for photos and signed stuff etc but honestly looked like he had somewhere else to be! Sibbick friendly and polite, obviously over this virus that's kept him out. Clare seemed a proper nice guy and was smiling, laughing, joking with everyone, including kids, happy to take photos etc. 

I know it's not easy doing these things as players, having to smile and nod, sign stuff and pose for pictures with a few hundred people all at once, but expected a little more enthusiasm from some. Noticeable absence of Souttar. Not sure why he wasn't there. Maybe just wasn't there when we were but didn't see him. 

Got a nice signed ball now though, currently taking pride of place on the wee man's chest of drawers! 

Edited by Batistuta87

Uche came across as a nob after the last home game last season too when he blanked every kid there asking for his autograph/photo/a second of his attention, so that doesn’t come across as a huge surprise. 

Did Pereira drop the pen? Seriously, lovely to hear that most of them were decent guys. Footballers get a bad press, rightly so  at times but most of them are decent guys, the ones I've met anyway*. Glad your kid had a good time.

*(With a couple of notable exceptions.)

been here before
7 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Took the wee man (5) to the signing event today, he was obviously delighted to meet his heroes.

One or two observations I had about the players and their demeanor. Should say that almost everyone said hello, most asked how are you/what's happening etc.... 

Table 1 Brandon/Cochrane/Moore: looked genuinely happy to be there, chatted away, spoke plenty to the kids, gave stickers and stuff to kids.

Table 2 Damour/Pereira/Stendel/White: Damour didn't say much, Pereira very polite and chatty, spoke to kids a lot, gave high fives etc, Stendel didn't say much, said hello, signed what he was given, moved on. White had a laugh and a joke, asked kids how they were, plenty chatting, arranged photos, and seemed a big personality. 

Table 3 Walker/Halkett: Walker said hello, took photos, that was about it, Halkett never said much either. 

Table 4 Boyce/Naismith: Boyce had his kid with him, was distracted with her which is fair enough but said hello how are you etc, very polite, Naismith happy to chat away and take photos etc.

Table 5 Haring/Garuccio: Both lovely guys, chatted away to adults and kids, looked through books, asked who the kids were looking forward to see, asked whose number was on the wee man's back etc - both looked happy to be there.

Table 6 Washington/Zlamal: Both sound, chatted away, asked how we were, who the wee man's favorites were, gave him extra stickers/cards, happy taking photos etc. Washington particularly nice. 

Table 7 Siebert/Meshino: Seibert chatted away a little, Meshino either doesn't speak any English or wasn't interested, didn't say a word. 

Table 8 Hickey/Irving: Hickey probably one of the most professional out of everyone! Chatted away, took photos, happy chatting to kids etc, remembered my kid from a previous encounter at a reserves game. Irving had a laugh and a chat with me while Hickey chatted with kids, both good guys. 

Table 9 Henderson/Langer: both exchanged the usual pleasantries and were polite and chatty enough, more so Henderson, 

Table 10 Avdijaj/Bozanic: both very chatty and friendly, had a bit of banter with both, both great with the kid - best table 

Table 11 Smith: was on his own with his wee boy, joked with him about babysitting duties, chatted away to the wee man

Table 12 Dikamona/Sibbick/Uche/Clare: Dikamona said hello how are you etc, Uche not interested, had his phone out, barely spoke, the wee man turned to show him his name and number on his top and he sort of blindly scribbled on it (which he wasn't asking him to do, he was just showing his number, telling him he was his favorite etc but he wasn't listening or didn't hear, wee man is happy getting his top signed either way). While there was nobody at his table I think I saw him ask Clare how long was left or something like that. Smiled for photos and signed stuff etc but honestly looked like he had somewhere else to be! Sibbick friendly and polite, obviously over this virus that's kept him out. Clare seemed a proper nice guy and was smiling, laughing, joking with everyone, including kids, happy to take photos etc. 

I know it's not easy doing these things as players, having to smile and nod, sign stuff and pose for pictures with a few hundred people all at once, but expected a little more enthusiasm from some. Noticeable absence of Souttar. Not sure why he wasn't there. Maybe just wasn't there when we were but didn't see him. 

Got a nice signed ball now though, currently taking pride of place on the wee man's chest of drawers! 

Its nice your boy is happy with his ball but I cant help get the feeling there's something a little bit sad about critiquing and providing a review of the players performance at an event like this.

Tbf some people ( and players) are better and more comfortable talking to children than others. Still it's nice that they do this and the kids love the autographs. I'm thinking my young un will be too old probably at our next open day or else will go with his mates. 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

Wow an exclusive players dragged out to a junior signing event and not that chatty.😂

When most of them have done f-all on the Saturday is it too much to ask them to spare a couple of hours to make some kids happy.

Strange that Stendel sat with perhaps the 3 biggest outcasts in the team.

Surprised about Uche tbh. When he first signed, he was at a lot of these signing sessions and nights with the fans and genuinely thought he seemed quite happy to engage. Perhaps he's just a bit petulant and in a huff because of Saturday's result.

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Its nice your boy is happy with his ball but I cant help get the feeling there's something a little bit sad about critiquing and providing a review of the players performance at an event like this.

Hardly a 'critique' - merely an observation as to how they acted, who had a bit of personality and who couldnt be arsed. If I wasn't there myself I'd have been interested to know who was engaging and fun and who wasn't, as it gives a clue about who cares about being at the club and who doesnt! 

10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Hardly a 'critique' - merely an observation as to how they acted, who had a bit of personality and who couldnt be arsed. If I wasn't there myself I'd have been interested to know who was engaging and fun and who wasn't, as it gives a clue about who cares about being at the club and who doesnt! 

Not really. More an insight into the personality of a player. Some like doing and/or are good at that sort of stuff and some don’t/aren’t. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I was once at a Huddersfield Town players night out when the then captain, Peter Clarke, had the bouncers remove a disabled man and his entourage from the bar. When I say remove I mean Clarke was standing shouting at them telling them to “**** off”. It shouldn’t surprise you to learn that football players often hate their own fans and or hate playing for said club. Number 14 that currently plays for Killie is desperate to go back to QPR, he hates it up here and hates Killie. Liam Miller also of Killie, cut short his loan move from Liverpool due to the same reasons. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear/see that players don’t want to be hanging around kids/families and the club on their days off, sitting bottom of the league.

Not having a pop at you Batistuta87, glad your wee boy had a ball. Just wanted to put some context into these events from a players perspective. 

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Surprised about Uche tbh. When he first signed, he was at a lot of these signing sessions and nights with the fans and genuinely thought he seemed quite happy to engage. Perhaps he's just a bit petulant and in a huff because of Saturday's result.

Uche has had a different demeanour this season and probably would have been happy to go in January. Obvious that stendel doesn't rate him and getting hooked at half time on Saturday didn't help his mood

1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

Uche has had a different demeanour this season and probably would have been happy to go in January. Obvious that stendel doesn't rate him and getting hooked at half time on Saturday didn't help his mood

Think Stendel seems to see him as just an impact player who you can throw on late in the game. Uche and Levein seemed to have a good relationship, so I think that's had an effect too.

I think a lot of clubs like Barnsley are really promoting the players in the community bit as it helps the club and the town. As you know we have a lot of young players ( maybe too many!) and they engage with the younger fans on social media too. 

been here before
34 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

So you've taken a freebie even for Junior Jambos where wee bairns can go along and get a top or ball or whatever signed by their favourite journeyman player, critiqued it then turned it into some assessment of to who cares about being at the club?

Jeezo

Id love to have played pro football, playing for Hearts the stuff of dreams but spending a chunk of my Sunday afternoon with other peoples bairns doing the same thing 100s of times, being asked the same quretions 100s of times and having some lunatic parent carry out an assessment of my demenour to post online sounds utter shit. Means nothing about my feelings about the club though.

I think most of us are capable of watching games to suss that sort of stuff out.

Crazy stuff man, crazy.

Edited by been here before

Салатные палочки

For the money they earn, it shouldn't be an issue for them coming in on a Sunday for a signing event and having a laugh with the kids.  

37 minutes ago, been here before said:

So you've taken a freebie even for Junior Jambos where wee bairns can go along and get a top or ball or whatever signed by their favourite journeyman player, critiqued it then turned it into some assessment of to who cares about being at the club?

Jeezo

Id love to have played pro football, playing for Hearts the stuff of dreams but spending a chunk of my Sunday afternoon with other peoples bairns doing the same thing 100s of times, being asked the same quretions 100s of times and having some lunatic parent carry out an assessment of my demenour to post online sounds utter shit. Means nothing about my feelings about the club though.

I think most of us are capable of watching games to suss that sort of stuff out.

Crazy stuff man, crazy.

You've got me all wrong - it was a superb wee day and I am hugely appreciative that the club arranged it and that the players took part.

I've kept it positive and where there was a lack of interest/engagement I've tried to suggest an understandable explanation - I.e. Meshino / no English. Don't think I can make an excuse for Uche though - to be on his phone, looking at his watch, to be overheard asking how long they had left of an hour's signing some stuff for some kids... I'm sorry but that's pretty poor. 

Playing pro football is every wee boy's dream - If I was lucky enough to do it I would absolutely love being that guy who makes kids happy, and who could make someone's day just by taking 10 seconds to say hello or sign an autograph. 

1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

I was once at a Huddersfield Town players night out when the then captain, Peter Clarke, had the bouncers remove a disabled man and his entourage from the bar. When I say remove I mean Clarke was standing shouting at them telling them to “**** off”. It shouldn’t surprise you to learn that football players often hate their own fans and or hate playing for said club. Number 14 that currently plays for Killie is desperate to go back to QPR, he hates it up here and hates Killie. Liam Miller also of Killie, cut short his loan move from Liverpool due to the same reasons. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear/see that players don’t want to be hanging around kids/families and the club on their days off, sitting bottom of the league.

Not having a pop at you Batistuta87, glad your wee boy had a ball. Just wanted to put some context into these events from a players perspective. 

I get it, 100%, sitting signing 500 footballs and calenders wouldn't be a lot of fun, but imagine being the guy who makes a kids day by giving him a high five, making him laugh, and giving him a lifelong memory of meeting a hero. Most seemed to relish in it and appeared to be having a good time, a couple didn't. That's all I was saying.

11 minutes ago, jamboman9 said:

Hearts have posted photos on their Facebook page.

Photo of Uche.

Well,if a picture paints a thousand words. 🤷

Haha - hadn't seen that - but aye, Maybe some folk will understand what I'm getting at when they see it...

Edited by Batistuta87

14 minutes ago, jamboman9 said:

Hearts have posted photos on their Facebook page.

Photo of Uche.

Well,if a picture paints a thousand words. 🤷

Just looked at the pics! Wow he looks completely miserable especially in comparison to everyone else including guys like damoir who are out of favoir.  Not a happy man!

10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Haha - hadn't seen that - but aye, Maybe some folk will understand what I'm getting at when they see it...

👍

We met Uche at the Oriam a couple of weeks ago as he was coming out the Bistro, couldn’t have been nicer and spent a good bit of time chatting with my 6yo, handshake and high fives.  By far the most engaging of all the players that came out the bistro that day.

1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

Just looked at the pics! Wow he looks completely miserable especially in comparison to everyone else including guys like damoir who are out of favoir.  Not a happy man!

👍

Pretty much everyone else was class it has to be said - White, Bozanic, Garuccio, Pereira, Washington, Hickey, Irving, Cochrane, Haring, Clare and Avdijaj were particularly awesome to meet, even for me as a big 33yo kid! 

1 minute ago, Jambomb said:

We met Uche at the Oriam a couple of weeks ago as he was coming out the Bistro, couldn’t have been nicer and spent a good bit of time chatting with my 6yo, handshake and high fives.  By far the most engaging of all the players that came out the bistro that day.

Good  stuff 👍

Hopefully just an off day yesterday 

Gordon Ramsay
47 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

You've got me all wrong - it was a superb wee day and I am hugely appreciative that the club arranged it and that the players took part.

I've kept it positive and where there was a lack of interest/engagement I've tried to suggest an understandable explanation - I.e. Meshino / no English. Don't think I can make an excuse for Uche though - to be on his phone, looking at his watch, to be overheard asking how long they had left of an hour's signing some stuff for some kids... I'm sorry but that's pretty poor. 

Playing pro football is every wee boy's dream - If I was lucky enough to do it I would absolutely love being that guy who makes kids happy, and who could make someone's day just by taking 10 seconds to say hello or sign an autograph. 

Wouldn't worry mate. There is only one person here who sounds like a lunatic and it isn't you. 

Cheers for that. Enjoyed reading it. 

Thanks for the "review" so to speak. I personally find it interesting. The players don't want to be in the position we find ourselves in, they are probably embarrassed about it, they know the fans in front of them are making judgments of how they have performed. Yet they still try be polite and up beat. Would be very easy for them all to act like uche.

13 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Wouldn't worry mate. There is only one person here who sounds like a lunatic and it isn't you. 

Cheers for that. Enjoyed reading it. 

👍

3 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Thanks for the "review" so to speak. I personally find it interesting. The players don't want to be in the position we find ourselves in, they are probably embarrassed about it, they know the fans in front of them are making judgments of how they have performed. Yet they still try be polite and up beat. Would be very easy for them all to act like uche.

3 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

👍👍

20 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Craig Levein was skulking around in the corridors chatting to John Soutter. 

verb
gerund or present participle: skulking
  1. keep out of sight, typically with a sinister or cowardly motive.

😂😂

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:
verb

😂😂

😂

19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:
verb

😂😂

Word of the day 

I went to the signing they had at the club store in November. Haring and Pirera could not have been nicer to the kids, friendly, chatty and genuinely interested. Walker was leaving about 30 minutes after it started...and uche looked like someone had shat on his cat.

The boy genuinely couldn’t be more grumpy or disinterested if he tried. I understand that getting your pictures taken a few times isn’t a great way to spend an evening but at least put on a brave face.

5 hours ago, been here before said:

Jeezo

Crazy stuff man, crazy.

Tbh the only ‘crazy’ post on this entire thread is this ‘crazy’ overreaction.

queensferryjambo
8 hours ago, Locky said:

Yeah odd. The events I went to Uche seemed the most outgoing and one of the nicest of the players. Possibly not all players are comfortable with meeting fans when we are in such a poor state on the park.

To be fair everyone has good days and bad days - you never know what family situation a player might not be at due to club commitments.

A few years ago at the sponsors night lots of people posted about Walker being rude and on his phone all the time I was at the same night and thought he was great with the kids.

Everyone's perspective on their own part of the evening I suppose.

1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

Yeah odd. The events I went to Uche seemed the most outgoing and one of the nicest of the players. Possibly not all players are comfortable with meeting fans when we are in such a poor state on the park.

To be fair everyone has good days and bad days - you never know what family situation a player might not be at due to club commitments.

A few years ago at the sponsors night lots of people posted about Walker being rude and on his phone all the time I was at the same night and thought he was great with the kids.

Everyone's perspective on their own part of the evening I suppose.

Correct. Maybe his burd was giving him a hard time 😂 but he was well crabbit.

2 hours ago, sprinbox98 said:

I went to the signing they had at the club store in November. Haring and Pirera could not have been nicer to the kids, friendly, chatty and genuinely interested. Walker was leaving about 30 minutes after it started...and uche looked like someone had shat on his cat.

The boy genuinely couldn’t be more grumpy or disinterested if he tried. I understand that getting your pictures taken a few times isn’t a great way to spend an evening but at least put on a brave face.

Yeah they were the same yesterday; Pereira was excellent, Haring was comparing glasses with my wee boy and invited him for a photo etc, you sort of had to ask the rest for photos but one or two were pro-actively getting kids round their side of the table for pics and stuff.

Avdijaj and Bozanic were the highlights for me. Just something about them - really nice guys, chatted to both myself and my little lad, invited him round for photos. Just very welcoming and seemed like they had all the time in the world to speak to people.

Edited by Batistuta87

queensferryjambo
54 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Correct. Maybe his burd was giving him a hard time 😂 but he was well crabbit.

Maybe :)

Forgot to add glad that your lad had a good time as well. 

These nights are all about the young supporters. 

50 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Maybe :)

Forgot to add glad that your lad had a good time as well. 

These nights are all about the young supporters. 

Thanks mate - absolutely, amazing that they get to meet their heroes! Hopefully something he remembers when he's my age because I remember meeting Rousset, Locke, Adam etc when I was about his age!!