Alan Burrows

ramrod

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Motherwell finished 9th, 7th and 8th the last three seasons (2.5 of them under Robinson and, I assume, Burrows). 

They're having a good season - fair enough. It doesn't suggest they have a model we can follow or employees we should poach.

For context, Burrows might be the answer to all our problems but those results suggest he is having one good season. Budge has had 2.5, or 3.5 if you consider 6th and the cup final to be a decent season all things considered (taking into account the good start and all the injuries basically). If 'Well keep this up, then fair enough. Until then let's not get silly and ignore the fact that it's not been all doom and gloom under Budge.

Well punch well above their weight considering 2/3rds of the town is old firm catchment area,

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Hectormasson said:

Well punch well above their weight considering 2/3rds of the town is old firm catchment area,

They are this season yes. And they did a while back under McCall. All the smaller clubs do it now and then.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

They are this season yes. And they did a while back under McCall. All the smaller clubs do it now and then.

When is it our turn , must be soon surely ? 

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Delivering fan ownership is arguably easier at a smaller club.

He delivered fan ownership, cleared a lot of debt, and kept them in the SPL with one of the smallest budgets in the league. No mystery benefactors pumping in millions each year, all their own money. Less of the smaller club nonsense, what they have achieved is to be applauded. Look at where this 'smaller' club is in the league table. 

Edited by TheTrumpet

2 minutes ago, ramrod said:

As soon as Hearts hire a proper football manager they will be in the top 5. No sooner.

Just now, TheTrumpet said:

He delivered fan ownership, cleared a lot of debt, and kept them in the SPL with one of the smallest budgets in the league. No mystery benefactors pumping in millions each year, all their own money and. Less of the smaller club nonsense, what they have achieved is to be applauded. Look at where this 'smaller' club is in the league table. 

Motherwell are also producing top youth talent and performing at a high level in the SPL.

Comparatively speaking we're massively under performing. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, TheTrumpet said:

He delivered fan ownership, cleared a lot of debt, and kept them in the SPL with one of the smallest budgets in the league. No mystery benefactors pumping in millions each year, all their own money and. Less of the smaller club nonsense, what they have achieved is to be applauded. Look at where this 'smaller' club is in the league table. 

As did Budge. It's weird how some see mystery benefactors as a bad thing? Who got those benefactors and why don't other clubs have them if it's so easy? Yes I know how the league table looks. It's not really a surprise in Scotland to see smaller clubs above bigger clubs. It happens pretty much every single season. As I said, now and then Well, St J, Ross County, Livi or whoever have a great season or maybe two. Most of the time they don't finish above us, but sometimes they do.

Just now, OTT said:

Motherwell are also producing top youth talent and performing at a high level in the SPL.

Not just producing youth but picking up great young players from down south. Just flogged a player to Stoke for 1.75 million. That is the way to go for all clubs in Scotland.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

We we were doing great in the league a couple of season ago and fans wanted Neilson out. We were also top of the league last season for a very decent amount of time. So there's that.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, OTT said:

The salient point is  both on and off the field Burrows is delivering .  Budge has done a decent job off the park but her tenure on the footballing side has been getting steady worse collimating in the  absolute horror show we are now in . 

I have zero faith in her turning it round on the park and in my opinion we're in desperate need of a CEO whether it be Burrows or whoever . 

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

As did Budge. It's weird how some see mystery benefactors as a bad thing? Who got those benefactors and why don't other clubs have them if it's so easy? Yes I know how the league table looks. It's not really a surprise in Scotland to see smaller clubs above bigger clubs. It happens pretty much every single season. As I said, now and then Well, St J, Ross County, Livi or whoever have a great season or maybe two. Most of the time they don't finish above us, but sometimes they do.

I think the situations between Hearts and Motherwell are quite different. What Hearts have achieved is terrific, the fans rallied round and paid up, but they kind of had to, it was that or bye bye Hearts. Motherwell did it because they could, they had a bit of help from wealthy supporters, who they have now paid back, and they did it without fanfare. I am seriously impressed with them. Continuing funding may be the issue, for Hearts and Motherwell, Scottish football clubs generally rely on being backed occasionally by the owner, FoH may fill that gap but it needs people to keep contributing.

Re the mystery benefactor, it's a tricky one, currently it's legal but without it, or if the MB decides to pull the funding, where does it leave Hearts? Also, both Rangers and Hearts may struggle under FFP, if the SFA had signed up for it. Plenty people slagging off Man City and saying well done Uefa for kicking them out of Europe, yet Hearts are doing pretty much the same thing. The clubs wage bill is being artificially inflated by mystery donations, this is exactly why FFP was introduced, to stop clubs living outwith the money that the club itself can generate.

Anyhow, Burrows has done a great job, Budge less so.

3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

The salient point is  both on and off the field Burrows is delivering .  Budge has done a decent job off the park but her tenure on the footballing side has been getting steady worse collimating in the  absolute horror show we are now in . 

I have zero faith in her turning it round on the park and in my opinion we're in desperate need of a CEO whether it be Burrows or whoever . 

Spot on. Budge just doesn't have the necessary skills to run a football club, that is painfully obvious. Not having a go at her, she's done the best she could, but her decision not to appoint a serious Sporting Director has been a huge problem for the club.

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We we were doing great in the league a couple of season ago and fans wanted Neilson out. We were also top of the league last season for a very decent amount of time. So there's that.

So that's our lot then , circa 10 weeks of decent football in  4 season since  Budge gave the go ahead to sack Robbie , inc a possible / probable  relegation with an anual wage bill of 9 mill . 

Marvellous stuff . Makes all the shit worth in now I think about it . 

Paisley Jambo
On 16/02/2020 at 18:57, ramrod said:

The guy we should be targeting as our new CEO to build for the future 

Reckon we could tempt him if we stay up . 

Personally I would happily keep Budge on the commercial/ financial side of things but we need a CEO to steer the ship imo . 

Agree totally 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, ramrod said:

So that's our lot then , circa 10 weeks of decent football in  4 season since  Budge gave the go ahead to sack Robbie , inc a possible / probable  relegation with an anual wage bill of 9 mill . 

Marvellous stuff . Makes all the shit worth in now I think about it . 

No idea what you're on about. These things go in cycles. Mercer had several very shit years before 2 or 3 great years, including some very shit decisions. Buying Pettigrew and Addison for a lot of money without having the money to pay for them stands out in those early years. He did make a very good manager appointment in Doddie, but that took a long time to pay off as well. Sacking or removing everyone around during bad times isn't always the answer. Budge made a great start. Then two bad manager appointments, although Levein as caretaker would have been a better middle ground. Now she's trying to rectify it and has backed Stendel very well so far. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Motherwell finished 9th, 7th and 8th the last three seasons (2.5 of them under Robinson and, I assume, Burrows). 

They're having a good season - fair enough. It doesn't suggest they have a model we can follow or employees we should poach.

For context, Burrows might be the answer to all our problems but those results suggest he is having one good season. Budge has had 2.5, or 3.5 if you consider 6th and the cup final to be a decent season all things considered (taking into account the good start and all the injuries basically). If 'Well keep this up, then fair enough. Until then let's not get silly and ignore the fact that it's not been all doom and gloom under Budge.

Are you conveniently leaving out the fact Burrows also had a Scottish Cup final and in that same season finished only a point behind Budge's Hearts?