Alan Burrows

ramrod

The guy we should be targeting as our new CEO to build for the future 

Reckon we could tempt him if we stay up . 

Personally I would happily keep Budge on the commercial/ financial side of things but we need a CEO to steer the ship imo . 

He's doing an amazing job with Motherwell. He seems a decent guy too and I'd be keen to have a guy like that running our club. 

You never know. He is a Motherwell fan though, and I suspect we'd need to offer a lot more money than we probably should to convince him to move. 

I'm sure Burrows is M'well through and through so I doubt he'd come to us unless we offer him a significant increase in salary, like well over double to treble might not even make him consider the move.

Jambof3tornado
4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Decent shout.

get rid of Budge altogether. 

This.  Borrows in Ann out. The Levein fiasco has forced this attitude. I'm grateful for what she did but the financial implications of various aspects of her tenure should be under closer scrutiny than they are.

I agree but not sure he'd come. He's a died in the wool 'Well fan. Heard an interview with him recently and he sounded like he was living the dream. And they're debt free, fan owned, money in the bank and sitting high up the league with a decent manager. Not sure he'd be too desperate to jump ship.

I'd be looking for someone with a bit more experience maybe. I mentioned this ages ago when Budge said a SD was a priority (which seems to have become less so), but Brian McClair would be my pick, ticks all the boxes for me and I believe (happy to be corrected) that he lives down Stockbridge way. If he was interested then I'd be having him in for a chat.

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

He's doing an amazing job with Motherwell. He seems a decent guy too and I'd be keen to have a guy like that running our club. 

You never know. He is a Motherwell fan though, and I suspect we'd need to offer a lot more money than we probably should to convince him to move. 

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I'm sure Burrows is M'well through and through so I doubt he'd come to us unless we offer him a significant increase in salary, like well over double to treble might not even make him consider the move.

That would definitely be an obstacle but with the right financial package it could work . 

These type of guys love the challenge and he may feel it's time for a new one . 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Football fans googling, or even caring about, potential CEOs. What a time to be alive.

Useful for the next time you employ the old ‘who would do a better job?’ defence for whichever failure you’re trying to defend this time.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Useful for the next time you employ the old ‘who would do a better job?’ defence for whichever failure you’re trying to defend this time.

I tend to back managers for longer than a few games or even a season that’s all. Sorry that offends you. Backed Neilson to the hilt while many - maybe you too - bumped their gums for months wanting him out. Wanted Robbo in twice now which probably would have been a good shout.

Edited by ToqueJambo

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Football fans googling, or even caring about, potential CEOs. What a time to be alive.

Are you saying FoH members should not be looking beyond Budge's reign?

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Still hoping Cwaigywaigy will get the gig? 

12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Appointing a CEO  is a must  if we want to move forward . 

Its something all Hearts fans should be discussing, especially FOH members Imo

Incidentally I don't think many clued up fans up here would need to google who Alan Burrows is tbh . 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, ramrod said:

Appointing a CEO  is a must  if we want to move forward . 

Its something all Hearts fans should be discussing, especially FOH members Imo

Incidentally I don't think many clued up fans up here would need to google who Alan Burrows is tbh . 

No biggie. Just funny. It’s managers and players that count. Budge has greatly improved us off the pitch and her forst two and a half years on the pitch were very good.

Can a new CEO match that?

On the pitch the CEO appoints managers with the board. It’s a lottery as we all know. There is no guarantee at all a new guy would get it right every time. Steve Robinson was a risk as he had no experience, like Neilson. It worked but who knows if it would work for burrows’ next appointment? Maybe he would appoint a dud?

The important thing is the CEO and board back the manager.

Change for change sake is not always good. Someone like budge who learns from mistakes is a better bet IMO.

Captain Canada
45 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You kinda have to care when you see the mess we're currently in. It matters who controls budgets and hires and fires managers. It also matters when the club is left on the brink of administration. 

_maroonplatoon

Used to be the media boy who put out teas and biscuits for the journalists, has no footballing brain about him, nor any business acumen either - avoid.

What has he done that means he deserves the role.

The simple fact is he has overseen a period where Motherwell sold their best players to clear their debt..he hardly had a thing to do with that.

If someone could point out his decisions which have meant he could clearly be seen to have improved the club then fine but mostly people get lucky to be there at the right time

I think that others in recruitment and management have done much more

GorgieFifeLife

Nah avoid. Looks like a used car salesman and doesnt look trustworthy.  I think he is very good at marketing himself and certainly talks a good game.

8 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

What has he done that means he deserves the role.

The simple fact is he has overseen a period where Motherwell sold their best players to clear their debt..he hardly had a thing to do with that.

If someone could point out his decisions which have meant he could clearly be seen to have improved the club then fine but mostly people get lucky to be there at the right time

I think that others in recruitment and management have done much more

From memory I'm sure he was named Scottish Footballs top CEO last year , probably all down to luck so best ignored. 

Guest ToqueJambo
32 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

You kinda have to care when you see the mess we're currently in. It matters who controls budgets and hires and fires managers. It also matters when the club is left on the brink of administration. 

We have a good one is the point. Every owner makes poor manager appointments. Backing them is the sign of a good owner.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We have a good one is the point. Every owner makes poor manager appointments. Backing them is the sign of a good owner.

It's looking like 3 bad ones in a row as it's stands . 

Regardless of that debate a lot of fans simply don't have confidence in Ann delivering on the football side of things going forward and it's hard to disagree with that point of view on the evidence of the last few years . 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, ramrod said:

It's looking like 3 bad ones in a row as it's stands . 

Regardless of that debate a lot of fans simply don't have confidence in Ann delivering on the football side of things going forward and it's hard to disagree with that point of view on the evidence of the last few years . 

She just has to deliver and back a manager and finance the academy. Stendel seemed a very good appointment to most of us.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Oh FFS. There is backing a manager and flogging a dead horse. CL was a dead horse from January last year and only the easiest cup run in the world gave him a minuscule amount of credibility. Her weak spot with him allowed him to blow our budget in the summer transfer window. 

And as for Robbo, please CL owned his arse twice last season. At least DS was an imaginative appointment. 

Captain Canada
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The facts are that we've underachieved on the pitch for some time now with this season looking like a catastrophic one. 

We've got a £400k hole in our revenue, a £900k pitch that's particularly poor, a bloated playing squad, no financial contingency for relegation, very few sell-outs and new facilities that are over budget and behind schedule. 

Budge has also done some amazing things and we should all be grateful for those, however, I think there's considerable room for improvement given the things mentioned. 

10 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Oh FFS. There is backing a manager and flogging a dead horse. CL was a dead horse from January last year and only the easiest cup run in the world gave him a minuscule amount of credibility. Her weak spot with him allowed him to blow our budget in the summer transfer window. 

And as for Robbo, please CL owned his arse twice last season. At least DS was an imaginative appointment. 

Spot on. 

1 hour ago, Captain Canada said:

Admin? 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

I’m talking about backing stendel. She has backed all the managers budget wise though.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

The facts are that we've underachieved on the pitch for some time now with this season looking like a catastrophic one. 

We've got a £400k hole in our revenue, a £900k pitch that's particularly poor, a bloated playing squad, no financial contingency for relegation, very few sell-outs and new facilities that are over budget and behind schedule. 

Budge has also done some amazing things and we should all be grateful for those, however, I think there's considerable room for improvement given the things mentioned. 

Swings and roundabouts isn’t it? Every Ceo will do some things well and aome bad, like managers and players. Some folk expect perfection in every role and position. Slightly unrealistic but there you go. The abuse Neilson got is a prime example.

4 hours ago, ramrod said:

The guy we should be targeting as our new CEO to build for the future 

Reckon we could tempt him if we stay up . 

Personally I would happily keep Budge on the commercial/ financial side of things but we need a CEO to steer the ship imo . 

Can you put a bit meat on the bone. What’s Motherwell's turnover? What’s the increase since he took over? What’s their projection for next year? What is his yearly salary at the moment? Thanks.

7 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Since it's so easy to run a football club why don't we just appoint Phil Turnbull as our new CEO if it worked so well for Motherwell

Lazy post

Sexton Hardcastle
8 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Since it's so easy to run a football club why don't we just appoint Phil Turnbull as our new CEO if it worked so well for Motherwell

Not if he still has that awful hairline.

Jambof3tornado
11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not sacking poorly performing managers is a bad sign.

As with players, managers etc, we need people who are used to working in an intense, high pressure environment. 

With all due respect, success for motherwell is a top 6 finish. There isnt the same pressure on them to succeed. 

On a side note, I was really impressed with burrows after seats were damaged by hearts fans at firpark. There was the usual social media outrage from motherwell fans and fans from other clubs. He replied that clubs would sort it between themselves and highlighted that numerous other clubs including his own had to pay for damage caused by fans. 

Guest ToqueJambo
11 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Not sacking poorly performing managers is a bad sign.

Cathro was sacked sharpish. Levein did get more time due to his position at the club and, probably, the injuries. Theres nothing to suggest Stendel, for example, would get more time than Cathro, if this form continues indefinitely.

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Cathro was sacked sharpish. Levein did get more time due to his position at the club and, probably, the injuries. Theres nothing to suggest Stendel, for example, would get more time than Cathro, if this form continues indefinitely.

I think Stendel will get next season too,  no matter the league. A SD must come in and we'll see where that takes us.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I think Stendel will get next season too,  no matter the league. A SD must come in and we'll see where that takes us.

Hope so. I like managers getting at least two seasons unless they are truly awful.

Jambof3tornado
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hope so. I like managers getting at least two seasons unless they are truly awful.

I just think giving him a proper window and preseason is important, whether we get relegated or not.

I'm in Stendels camp here. 

He's got charisma and personality. Players will buy into that. If the current ones don't, move them on. We've really not got any 'heroes' here. Massive let downs across the board. 

I suspect a summer to really drill in what he's wanting plus key players in key positions will see us turn a corner. I'm just obviously keen to see us retain premiership status because **** wasting a year in the league below.. 

On 16/02/2020 at 19:09, TheTrumpet said:

I agree but not sure he'd come. He's a died in the wool 'Well fan. Heard an interview with him recently and he sounded like he was living the dream. And they're debt free, fan owned, money in the bank and sitting high up the league with a decent manager. Not sure he'd be too desperate to jump ship.

I'd be looking for someone with a bit more experience maybe. I mentioned this ages ago when Budge said a SD was a priority (which seems to have become less so), but Brian McClair would be my pick, ticks all the boxes for me and I believe (happy to be corrected) that he lives down Stockbridge way. If he was interested then I'd be having him in for a chat.

Motherwell done all that ,  but yet gates of 5k or under?  Incredible   !

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

Motherwell finished 9th, 7th and 8th the last three seasons (2.5 of them under Robinson and, I assume, Burrows). 

They're having a good season - fair enough. It doesn't suggest they have a model we can follow or employees we should poach.

For context, Burrows might be the answer to all our problems but those results suggest he is having one good season. Budge has had 2.5, or 3.5 if you consider 6th and the cup final to be a decent season all things considered (taking into account the good start and all the injuries basically). If 'Well keep this up, then fair enough. Until then let's not get silly and ignore the fact that it's not been all doom and gloom under Budge.

17 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

Yip, that's why Burrows is rated.

If I were a betting man I'd say he'll go to Hibs if Dempster leaves at some point. They know each other well, pretty seamless handover and a mentor relationship. The interview with him he was pretty glowing re Dempster and her help to him when he began.

Edited by TheTrumpet