O Donnell of killie

cardboardcutout

2 hours ago, Paisley Jambo said:

Our scouting under Levein, when Killie signed O’Donnell, was too inept to identify decent players. 

Correct.  We got Danny Amwanka instead.

13 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

He very much is Celtic minded. Attended a catholic primary school in Wishaw. Met him a couple of weeks ago. 

So is Hickey and Boyce, doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things. 

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

No, we got Michael Smith the same season Killie signed ODonnell.

He plays centre midfield or centre half as much as right back because the signings he has to cover in have been pap or crocked. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Paisley Jambo said:

Our scouting under Levein, when Killie signed O’Donnell, was too inept to identify decent players. 

when Killie signed ODonnell, we signed Smith, Lafferty, Berra and Jon Mclaughlin as well as the duds some choose to remember instead.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He plays centre midfield or centre half as much as right back because the signings he has to cover in have been pap or crocked. 

Not when we signed him, and doesnt that just reinforce what a good signing he’s been?

Edited by ToqueJambo

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not when we signed him, and doesnt that just reinforce what a good signing he’s been?

Yes, he has been a good signing.  Unfortunately he can’t play in his natural position though because other signings have been shite. 

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

when Killie signed ODonnell, we signed Smith, Lafferty, Berra and Jon Mclaughlin as well as the duds some choose to remember instead.

The glory days.  👍

When they beat us 3-2, two weeks ago I said to my mate that he was a player. 

Strolled up and down the right and mopped up anything our attack could throw at him, Big and strong with it. 

57 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Unfortunately for us, the duds way out number the good signings you mention.  Hence our current league position.

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I think he’s utter shite to be honest.  Always their weakest player when we play them.  

I can’t remember their weakest player as they always seem to pump us. 

Would improve us right now in our current state but he’s not a great player. 

Good athlete and looks like a football player but he’s destined for a life in English lower Leagues. Consistently the weakest link in Scotland games. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Yes, he has been a good signing.  Unfortunately he can’t play in his natural position though because other signings have been shite. 

Thats not the discussion

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Unfortunately for us, the duds way out number the good signings you mention.  Hence our current league position.

Not that season they didn’t

5 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Can't keep up, so he's great now? Last time I checked on here he was slated but that was when he was playing for Scotland and it's cool to slate anyone who plays for Scotland.

Strolled it against us. Reminds me of Patterson. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, cardboardcutout said:

Exactly the type of player we need, strong , quick and athletic with great delivery and can defend too!

Been saying this for weeks since I heard he was out of contract in the summer.

alwaysthereinspirit
19 hours ago, cardboardcutout said:

Exactly the type of player we need, strong , quick and athletic with great delivery and can defend too!

Would he be interested in the Championship?

Can we afford to pay Premier league salaries in the Championship?

Paisley Jambo
On 16/02/2020 at 20:34, ToqueJambo said:

I understand your point although O’Donnell still with Killie but Smith only one of four still with us. Levein signings not long term enough to have a sustained impact. You could say Lafferty and McLaughlin used club until a better offer came along.

I could have scouted Berra and Lafferty so no pats on the back to Craig there.

For each of the decent players you have highlighted I could name at least 5 duds Levein signed since taking control when Neilson left.

Our signing/player turn over policy under Levein has been a complete disaster. I’m sure nobody could argue against that.

Guest ToqueJambo
16 minutes ago, Paisley Jambo said:

I understand your point although O’Donnell still with Killie but Smith only one of four still with us. Levein signings not long term enough to have a sustained impact. You could say Lafferty and McLaughlin used club until a better offer came along.

I could have scouted Berra and Lafferty so no pats on the back to Craig there.

For each of the decent players you have highlighted I could name at least 5 duds Levein signed since taking control when Neilson left.

Our signing/player turn over policy under Levein has been a complete disaster. I’m sure nobody could argue against that.

Of course we've signed duds and successes, like every season. The discussion was why didn't we sign ODonnell when Killie did. We signed a better player in the same position IMO, and someone who has turned out to be very adaptable. Levein seems to get all the stick for the bad signings and zero credit for the good ones.

Paisley Jambo
3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Of course we've signed duds and successes, like every season. The discussion was why didn't we sign ODonnell when Killie did. We signed a better player in the same position IMO, and someone who has turned out to be very adaptable. Levein seems to get all the stick for the bad signings and zero credit for the good ones.

Levein did our club a great deal of harm over the period from November 2016 until he was removed from his post in November 2019. He is the architect of our present position. Budge also at fault for not removing him far earlier and for poor decisions since he was relieved of his duties.

I am afraid you will get no credit for Levein from me. That’s just my opinion,  but if you feel that Levein deserves credit for the occasional acceptable signing out of numerous ones, then you are entitled to do so.

6 hours ago, Paisley Jambo said:

Levein did our club a great deal of harm over the period from November 2016 until he was removed from his post in November 2019. He is the architect of our present position. Budge also at fault for not removing him far earlier and for poor decisions since he was relieved of his duties.

I am afraid you will get no credit for Levein from me. That’s just my opinion,  but if you feel that Levein deserves credit for the occasional acceptable signing out of numerous ones, then you are entitled to do so.

I was an ardent Levein out but I just don't get the above thinking. He's out now and there's a long, long list of things to beat him with; why try and add to it by arguing we should have signed O'Donnell instead of Smith?!?

I think our needs at right back will depend on the sort of keeper we sign. If we get a good confident sweeper keeper, Smith back to right back is a no-brainer for me. However if we don't get a sweeper keeper and just get a traditional shot-stopper (not saying I want him, but like Gordon), then I would deploy Smith as a sweeper, and sign a new right back. O'Donnell would be a perfect signing in that case. 

Guest ToqueJambo
14 hours ago, Paisley Jambo said:

If you conflate the position of DoF and manager and assume as DoF he made the final decision on signings (which is not the case), then you definitely have a point. I wish he'd stuck with the DoF job or Academy Director. It was a mistake of Budge to give him any more than a caretaker manager role while DoF and a mistake of his to take it on. As manager, the fact is he steadied the ship after Cathro (let's be honest, another manager would have got more credit for that and reaching a cup final the following season taking into account all the injuries) and started well the next season but obviously failed overall. I don't see it as black and white unless you're one of the people who seems to have a serious dislike for Levein no matter what he does.

Anyhow, back on topic Smith is better than O'Donnell, now and when they both signed for us and Killie.

Edited by ToqueJambo