Craig Halkett

The White Cockade

The White Cockade

Get him up top for rest of the season 

Biggest goal threat and able to get on the end of high balls 

Getd stuck in and will give Boyce more time and space 

Said it before, he’s our best striker. Absolutely lethal in the box and the only player we’ve got that knows how to attack a cross. Pity he can’t attack crosses with the same vigour at the other end of the park.

1 minute ago, amadjambo said:

Said it before, he’s our best striker. Absolutely lethal in the box and the only player we’ve got that knows how to attack a cross. Pity he can’t attack crosses with the same vigour at the other end of the park.

Agree. It's still mystifying Washington is classed as a striker, for me a striker scores goals.

44 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Get him up top for rest of the season 

Biggest goal threat and able to get on the end of high balls 

Getd stuck in and will give Boyce more time and space 

Actually not the worst suggestion , but it won’t solve the abomination of a defence , with only Dikamona or Smith possible replacements , all a little desperate, but when your down the bottom nothing goes for you 

1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Agree. It's still mystifying Washington is classed as a striker, for me a striker scores goals.

Yep. Washington has a bit of pace, good movement, and a terrific workrate. But lacks goals.

Im also bemused as to why we didn’t play more balls over the top yesterday. Lost count of the number of times Walker/Naismith/Clare and Washington were in the middle of the park unmarked and onside, screaming for a ball over the top, only to see us pass it slowly across the defence. We need to mix it up as we are far too predictable.

MarkDevriesScores4

Halkett was a bomb scare yesterday. As was Souttar. 2 of the hottest tipped young defenders in Scotland and we’ve ruined the pair of them. I know Craig got a goal but his defending was woeful. We have a real talent for taking good players and making them mediocre 

...a bit disco
9 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Halkett was a bomb scare yesterday. As was Souttar. 2 of the hottest tipped young defenders in Scotland and we’ve ruined the pair of them. I know Craig got a goal but his defending was woeful. We have a real talent for taking good players and making them mediocre 

Seems to have grown into Big Dave Vanaceks old shorts as well.

Captain Canada

I'd love to see Halkett's conversion rate stats. I can remember him missing a couple of chances this season but he's put away his only opportunity in plenty of games. 

It's a shame we've had to rely on him in the last 10 minutes so often though. 

34 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

He's bailed us out a few times with late goals.

Usually after he put us in the situation of needing a late goal due to his woeful defending.

50 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Don’t think he’s ever been deployed as a centre forward since he’s been here though 

44 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Seems to have grown into Big Dave Vanaceks old shorts as well.

If he keeps going the way he’s going,  he’ll soon be into Zeefuicks old shorts in no time 

...a bit disco
4 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

If he keeps going the way he’s going,  he’ll soon be into Zeefuicks old shorts in no time 

:lol:

Jambo in Bathgate

Stendel signalled for him to go up top. Thought we threatened more as he put the packed defence under pressure. I would play him with Boyce against St Mirren. 

1 hour ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

How have we done that?

Surely players must take responsibility for their own performances on the park unless played totally out of position.

Edited by JamboAl

35 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Usually after he put us in the situation of needing a late goal due to his woeful defending.

Win, win we would have Dikamona (more likely to win a header) at the back Halkett in attack.

He's never let us down up front. It's a pity we cant say the same about his defensive skills. 

Wouldn't be against him playing up top with Boyce. He's certainly able to bury a chance when it comes his way

Tom Hardy’s Dug

If that lad on loan from Barnsley ever recovers from man flu he could go in defence or DM with Smith back to CB with Halkett up top.

I agree - he seems like the only player in our team that can get on the end of a cross successfully.

The reason he gets his goals is because he's a centre half.Put him in as a striker and he'd be far more closely marked.Anyway ,nothing wrong with Naismith and Boyce as a pairing if only they were played that way instead of complicated interchange.i actually think this confuses us more than the opposition.

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Could he fill in for Haring in midfield?

Serious question, seems fairly similar. Would be worth trying Smith or Sibbick in at CB ?

No 

11 minutes ago, Four faces said:

The reason he gets his goals is because he's a centre half.Put him in as a striker and he'd be far more closely marked.Anyway ,nothing wrong with Naismith and Boyce as a pairing if only they were played that way instead of complicated interchange.i actually think this confuses us more than the opposition.

I don’t know what Naismith was told to do yesterday in the first half but he was terrible and practically playing in front of the back 4. All to get big bambi Uche in the team. Quite frightening really. 

1 minute ago, rick witter said:

I don’t know what Naismith was told to do yesterday in the first half but he was terrible and practically playing in front of the back 4. All t only gets in the wayo get big bambi Uche in the team. Quite frightening really. 

Ikpeazu only gets in the way.brainless

Scoring goals isn't our biggest problem just now.  In our last 6 games we have scored 15 goals. The only time we failed to find the net were the games against Ross County and Celtic. Our defence is the biggest cause for concern, and taking a central defender out to put him up front would only lead to us leaking more goals. Focus now needs to be tightening up the defence and when you have players of the calibre of Souttar and Halkett, two of the most highly rated young CDs in Scottish football, you'd be entitled tothink that this would be something that was easily fixed.

Yep a few set piece and late goals when desparate proves that Halkett has the attributes for a forward. 

Good for link up play, holding the ball up, running the channels and so on.

Fairly stupid idea. He gets chances in crowded penalty boxes at corners, as a striker he would have to create and position himself to develop his own chances. He's slower than a night at the theatre so all teams would do would be to stick a mobile defender on him and you'd be playing with a man down. Also, if you're playing a big striker up front they need to have some kind of positional awareness, and that is not his strengths. Leave him where he is, he's  not great but he's the best Hearts have right now, he'll still pop up with the odd goal at set pieces. Re-assess in close season.

The real problem is Levein bought the wrong Livi defender, he should have bought Declan Gallagher, but then Declan had been a bit of a bad boy previously, can't have that at the club, just nice laddies that won't cause any bother (mainly to the opposition).

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

He cannae run. 

He was never good enough to play for Hearts and should never have been signed. 

He certainly can’t play midfield. He struggles to run at CB never mind in midfield. Smith also struggled in midfield yesterday before he was moved back. I cant believe how many players we have signed who are so slow to move!!! Ridiculous. 
Halkett’s positive contributions have all been at the other end and not very much defensively. Definitely could do with losing half a stone too. 

1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

Scored 16 goals for livi over 3seasons 

Thats a better return than pretty much every striker we've signed in the last few years minus Naisy, Laff & Juanma. 

4 hours ago, pwphillips said:

Stendel signalled for him to go up top. Thought we threatened more as he put the packed defence under pressure. I would play him with Boyce against St Mirren. 

Kevin McKenna all over again 

7 hours ago, EIEIO said:

All of Levein's strikers can't score goals (Washington, Uche, Wighton, McLean).