In Hindsight - Tommy Wright

Greedy Jambo

We should have just gave Tommy Wright a 1 year rolling contract. 

We're in a relegation battle and we need someone that knows the score and consistently has a team with a budget of pennies punching above their weight. 

When a team faces a relegation battle in the english premiership, they don't sign some new guy on the block with an attacking mind set, they sign sam allardyce.

Edited by Space Pirate

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• Mr Elwood P

• The Real Maroonblood

• Pasquale for King

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

We're in a relegation battle and we need someone that knows the score and consistently has a team with a budget of pennies punching above their weight. 

When a team faces a relegation battle in the english premiership, they don't sign some new guy on the block with an attacking mind set, they sign sam allardyce.

Hahahaha not a ****ing chance.

I don't think it'd matter who the manager is, the problems we have are deep rooted.

In that scenario though, would we still have convinced Boyce? Budge's 1 in 1 out would've still applied and he would've kept Berra on. Maybe could've convinced Kennedy though.

Edited by kila

Tommy Wright has been a fantastic manager for St Johnstone.  The stick he gets on here is ludicrous.  Alan Preston was saying on the radio that Levein's budget was six times Wright's!

I know everyone ****ing hates him but he probably would have steadied the ship and got more out of a team full of underachievers.

4 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

No. TR is fine for a team like St Johnstone; not for us.

St Johnstone are a far better team than us. 
What exactly do you mean by a team like St Johnstone as if we are better than them!! 

24 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

no way

15 minutes ago, rick witter said:

St Johnstone are a far better team than us. 
What exactly do you mean by a team like St Johnstone as if we are better than them!! 

St Johnstone will budget for a mid table finish and say a QF in the cup. Not compatible with what should be the ambitions of a club like Hearts.

Edited by Jambos_1874

Guest ToqueJambo

There are lots of things we should have done in hindsight - giving Neilson a new 3 year contract and improved transfer kitty for one, appointing Levein as temp caretaker only when he left for another - but hiring Tommy Wright is not one of them.

The golden rule for every ambitious manager looking to keep working but who knows they'll never reach the absolute top is to leave when your stock is high. Neilson, Stubbs, Alex Neil, Jack Ross at St Mirren, Steve Clarke all left after a good spell because in the next few months they knew they could easily be sacked and not be in so much demand. So if you get an approach you take it. Some managers keep doing that for a while until they have an inevitable bad few seasons. Mark McGhee was one I remember who did that a bit. Clubs always want to appoint someone on the up.

It's noticeable that even though Tommy Wright (and Steve Robinson) have had very good spells, winning a cup in Wright's case, neither seems to be rated highly enough for clubs better than their current ones to actually make a move for them.

Edited by ToqueJambo

10 minutes ago, stotty said:

Main complaint with previous manager was eye bleeding football, I fail to see how Tommy Wright would've addressed those complaints.

Each to their own. My main complaint was the utterly shite results. I don’t go to Hearts games for entertainment, and only care about how competitive we are. 

We all wanting attractive attacking football (well most of us) but Ann left it far too late to get rid of Levein and now we're ****ed. 

Tommy Wright would have been a better option. 

26 minutes ago, Coco said:

Tommy Wright has been a fantastic manager for St Johnstone.  The stick he gets on here is ludicrous.  Alan Preston was saying on the radio that Levein's budget was six times Wright's!

Preston pre match was saying that Pereira was 6ft 5" and he couldn't believe how small he made himself look in goal.

Richard Gordon checked and confirmed that he was actually only 6ft 2".

The last reported average wage bills were 48k for St Johnstone and 111k for us.

Notwithstanding we are massively underachieving and Wright is a good manager, Preston as far as I'm concerned, is a total slaver.

30 minutes ago, Coco said:

Nicholas Brody
Just now, Gards said:

Because we would have been better sticking with Levein than Wright,  That's why.

I'm so offended by what you just said yet completely agree.

2 minutes ago, Gards said:

Because we would have been better sticking with Levein than Wright,  That's why.

They guy that has pished copious amounts of money down the drain?

The guy that gave damour a 4 year contract?

The guy that signed Vanacek then called him rubbish?

Away ye go. 

32 minutes ago, Coco said:

If Preston told me it was dark outside I would look outside, he’s a slaver

TR may not be the right fit for us right enough.

We do seem to have preferred people who could comfortably have us punching below our weight of late.

Over 3 years and money behind us.

Preston is a slaver but he's not far off with regards to the wage difference between us and St Johnstone. 

Derek McInnis has came out and said we have a bigger budget than Aberdeen. 

I don't think you realise how much money we've spunked. 

Nicholas Brody
1 minute ago, Space Pirate said:

Preston is a slaver but he's not far off with regards to the wage difference between us and St Johnstone. 

I may be wrong, but was the £9 Million he was quoting not the entire staff costs for Hearts? As in everyone employed by Hearts. From cleaners, cooks all the way up to players and directors?

Hopefully someone can clear that up.

2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I can't be doing with this 'grass is greener' stuff.

The Hearts job is huge, more scrutiny, more wages, bigger decisions. 

And comes with big expectations. 

We are where we are. No point second guessing stuff. 

have an experienced manager, good signing policy, direction for what you're trying to achieve on the  pitch and we're easily a mid table team. Not sure we've got those basics at all at the moment

3 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I can't be doing with this 'grass is greener' stuff.

The Hearts job is huge, more scrutiny, more wages, bigger decisions. 

And comes with big expectations. 

We are where we are. No point second guessing stuff. 

Correct. The added factor for prospective managers - can they handle this as well as being a football manager.

Edited by Jim Panzee

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Well that's utter bollocks yet again from him! They've had 2-3 times our budget for much of the last 5 years, we're only starting to get close to them these last couple of windows. 

Even looking at his own job that's bollocks. Levein was getting what £185k for doing two jobs compared to his £700-900k! McInnes waved cash in front of Nail McGinn, Curtis Main, Matty Kennedy and others to get them when we were interested. Maybe he's sore we pipped him to Boyce.

Wright tells his players to dive, cheat, injure and abuse other players. He'd be happy to ruin someones career if it makes him look good. If you want that at Hearts you can **** off as well.

Psychedelicropcircle
52 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

GTF 

4 minutes ago, Nicholas Brody said:

I may be wrong, but was the £9 Million he was quoting not the entire staff costs for Hearts? As in everyone employed by Hearts. From cleaners, cooks all the way up to players and directors?

Hopefully someone can clear that up.

Yes.

And Aberdeen have a higher budget than us.

I think St Johnstone last time it was discussed has a 3-4m operating cost.

Edited by Jamboelite

In my lifetime, we have never had a manager who has outperformed in the way that TR has done at St Johnstone. People slag him on here because they want ‘glamour’ - well, look where that’s got us 🙁

Nicholas Brody
2 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Yes.

Thanks.

Were we not near the mark on wage costs for the team in Vlads time?

Done some quick maths and if we go with the £9,000,000 a year in player wages, it's £173,000 a week in player wages. 

Absolutely no chance.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Yes.

Aberdeen wages were £500k higher last season, this includes derek Mcinnes rumoured £800k per annum salary.. 

ON the pitch I’d be amazed if they are still spending more than us - reasonably sure next Account’s will show that we are clearly spending more

which is embarsssing tbh