Stendel Train.

kingantti1874

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Correct I would be tempted to play Halkett upfront in the next couple of games, but we can't just get rid of Stendel's way of playing, I think if Toby had been playing today, we would have been more solid in the middle of the park, the guy has the balls to take the game by the scruff of the neck as shown in the rangers game. 

I know a man who would agree with you and who would be more than happy to do it if needed... he's skulking in an office somewhere if he even still has one 🤣

Even Halkett or Souttar at DM in front of Dikamona and Souttar/Halkett might work. We just need to stop leaking goals. If we can do that we have enough up front now to damage teams.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Spoleto

• Ethan Hunt

• The rat catcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HardcoreJambo
9 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

What will you do if we win?

Continue to back the team and manager. Stendel inherited are largely poor side from Levein and feel sorry for him. He's trying to resolve the situation. We have slowly picked up points and 'caught up' somewhat on both Hamilton and St Mirren. If we lose next week, we are in serious s**t.

Two games against Hamilton - 1 point.

Two games against St Johnstone - 1 point. 
Not good enough.

Today was totally unorganised. No width. Predictable build up play made it easy for them. Felt like a big step backwards.

If we lose next week I’d be calling for Robbo to come in and try and salvage this.

Nicholas Brody
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

The mistakes they made weren't tactical though. They were basic errors. 

The first one isn't wholly their fault. They both are last line of defence and should do better.

I think it's Boyce that loses out on the 1st ball from Zlamal kick, then there's 2 Bites at winning the 2nd ball, Smith was nowhere near it, he was too deep. 

The balls knocked forward, the boy out muscles Soapy, the ball runs through unread by neither Clare nor Smith who should both have done better, at this point they should still stop the cross. I don't know wtf Halkett is doing but he clearly doesn't read the play, hasn't noticed the boy because he's watching what is happening with the ball and makes no attempt to get in there between that cross. 

The 2nd is Hickey’s fault in the first place. His pass to Bobby was a shocker. Bobby should have maybe punted it but he's obv been told to keep possession and gives it to Soapy. Soapy could have passed it or gotten rid but he's wanted too long and got caught. Clare imo is unlucky, hangs out a leg but he's desperate to stop that chance which would never have happened if Hickey had played an easy ball in the first place. 

It had absolutely nothing to do with leaving them exposed. 

It was player errors today that cost both goals. Apart from that Hamilton barely got a sniff. 

This guy gets it.

1 minute ago, HardcoreJambo said:

Continue to back the team and manager. Stendel inherited are largely poor side from Levein and feel sorry for him. He's trying to resolve the situation. We have slowly picked up points and 'caught up' somewhat on both Hamilton and St Mirren. If we lose next week, we are in serious s**t.

So you’ll back him if we win and want him sacked if we lose, despite him inheriting a poor side from Levein. Ok then. Feck knows what you’ll do if it’s a draw 🤪

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I know a man who would agree with you and who would be more than happy to do it if needed... he's skulking in an office somewhere if he even still has one 🤣

Even Halkett or Souttar at DM in front of Dikamona and Souttar/Halkett might work. We just need to stop leaking goals. If we can do that we have enough up front now to damage teams.

We should never ever have got to that desperate situation though mate, if the guy you mention hadn't turned his nose up to Lafferty proven goalscorer, and Cummings proven goalscorer then we might not be in this mess, he signed the huddy that is Washington, Uche 😂, McLean, Kenna, the list goes on and on, I feel for Stendel big time if I'm honest ever heard the saying you can only piss with the cock you've got. 

Nicholas Brody
2 minutes ago, jblair182 said:

Not good enough.

Today was totally unorganised. No width. Predictable build up play made it easy for them. Felt like a big step backwards.

If we lose next week I’d be calling for Robbo to come in and try and salvage this.

We're still paying our last manager and assistant so there is absolutely no chance Stendel will be getting the sack. He'll be here till the end of the season whether people like it or not.

His preferred formation seems to be 4-2-3-1 or a variation thereof. I'd be tempted to give Damour another go on Friday and go with something like this. It's still attacking but feels like a better balance with Clare able to cover Smith at RB and Sibbick or Walker to support Hickey on the left. 

Zlamal

Smith

Souttar

Halkett

Hickey

Damour

Sibbick

Clare

Naismith

Walker

Boyce

Nicholas Brody

We should never ever have got to that desperate situation though mate, if the guy you mention hadn't turned his nose up to Lafferty proven goalscorer, and Cummings proven goalscorer then we might not be in this mess, he signed the huddy that is Washington, Uche 😂, McLean, Kenna, the list goes on and on, I feel for Stendel big time if I'm honest ever heard the saying you can only piss with the cock you've got. 

When you take a step back and just think about the players we've been lumped with, its frightening. 

Guest ToqueJambo

I'd rather have Uche and Washington than Lafferty and Cummings personally! Don't get the hard on some have for either of them. Lafferty's had one good season in how many now (with us, so credit to whoever signed him). Cummings is nowhere. Even Hibs don't want him.

3 minutes ago, jblair182 said:

Not good enough.

You somehow think that Inverness are just going to let Robbo go to help salvage our season?

So much deluded pish on here tonight.

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Throw in three defenders that cant defend and a non existent midfield its relagation stuff.

I might be one of the few people but I think Stendel may get it right on Friday and go from there and keep us up. Pinning my hopes on Sibbick really along with Bozanic/Damour in defence midfield roles on Friday. 

I am still optimistic but it took a dent today.

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, jblair182 said:

Not good enough.

Have wanted Robbo since Cathro and have a sneaky suspicion if we go down and Stendel walks (or, more unlikely, is sacked) he'll be getting a call. Might pass us on the way down though as he's dong well at Caley. Really want Stendel to succeed though and hopefully we can all back him. Changing manager every year does no good. If he can work out a way to balance defence and attack it could be exciting times - -basically what a lot of folk who drone on about "style" have been calling for.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
22 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Spot on you can have whatever manager you want, if players decision making isn't up to it this is what happens, Naismith had made the run and was screaming on it, and Hickey decided to turn back and pass it backwards then Bobby had the chance to clear it up the park, instead he passed it to Souttar who had a man up his arse, fecking bonkers decision making basic for fecksake. 

If you have your defenders on the half-way line and they make a mistake you're in trouble. That's a tactical decision my friend.  If you have defenders that are prone to ****-ups you don't leave them exposed and vunerable. Tactics will have to be changed or we're going down. Hopefully Stendel realises this and adjusts accordingly. 

Get to the summer and then he can implement his style fully. He won't though, just hope we pull through. If not Stendel will have to take full responsibility This team is better than 12th and should be winning more games. 

Nicholas Brody
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'd rather have Uche and Washington than Lafferty and Cummings personally! Don't get the hard on some have for either of them. Lafferty's had one good season in how many now (with us, so credit to whoever signed him). Cummings is nowhere. Even Hibs don't want him.

I would much rather have a player who scored 19 goals for us.

Cummings can get in the bin though.

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Can only pick what he has available to him mate, if these players can't handle the pressure of being in a relegation dogfight, then quite simply they dont deserve to play for Heart of Midlothian football club 👍

Spot on.

HardcoreJambo
4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

So you’ll back him if we win and want him sacked if we lose, despite him inheriting a poor side from Levein. Ok then. Feck knows what you’ll do if it’s a draw 🤪

Absolutely nothing wrong with my original post which you picked fault at. Managers are judged on results. As I said originally, I feel sorry for Stendel given its not the start of the season where he's had a summer to build a squad. Instead he's inherited a poor side from Levein. I'm not saying its his fault entirely. I made that clear. However next week if we lose, e are in big s**t and I'll be as  disappointed as everyone else. At that point I'll be wondering if removing him from his post is best for the club. These days managers get sacked for a bad run of 5 games. The results speak from themselves and they haven't been good enough. Arguing semantics with me doesn't change that.

Have said since he was first mooted on here that my worry was right manager at the wrong time.When he came in I thought this might be the case we would struggle but I hoped and still do we would just do enough to stay in the league.I also hoped if we did go down though that Stendel stayed and got to build the team how he sees fit and implement his style more on the team with a full pre season to work on everything.He was not my choice to get the job but now he has it I want him to stay beyond this season.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Nicholas Brody said:

I would much rather have a player who scored 19 goals for us.

Cummings can get in the bin though.

Well yeah, but he wanted to go to Rangers and didn't look like scoring 19 in his second season, and we got good money for him. That was a solid decision, made to look like a bad decision because all the forwards got injured just after he left. 

It's a distant memory now, but when he left Uche, McLean and Naismith were looking very good, with Lee and Haring playing well, and scoring, from midfield. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Edited by ToqueJambo

SectionDJambo

Before he was appointed, we didn’t want any of the Scottish dinosaurs. Any mention of some names, now being thrown around, were met with derision.

Most were delighted with a new approach from someone with a decent record, although not spectacular. We listened to anecdotes of how popular he was at Barnsley and the brand of attacking football, which was a utopia for us after the bore fest of recent years.

I’m still aboard, but he really needs to find some way of preventing us giving ordinary teams goals of a start. Our defending is pitiful and easy to score against. The number of goals we are scoring now should be enough to win games. They’re not because of our poor defensive play.

Don't think anyone could argue that the jury is out and that it isn't good enough so far, something like 0.7 points a game under Stendel is a disgrace and we are running out of time. 

Still, he's German and looks cool in the hearts jacket so some folk will still lap him up.

Nicholas Brody
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Well yeah, but he wanted to go to Rangers and didn't look like scoring 19 in his second season. It's a distant memory now, but when he left Uche, McLean and Naismith were looking very good, with Lee and Haring playing well, and scoring, from midfield. Seems like a lifetime ago.

His head was certainly turned but I definitely think he would have been more effective than Uche and McLean. I like Washington but don't think he's a very good goalscorer.

I would probably give my left nut for Lee and Haring in midfield right now. Actually I'd probably give it just for Haring.

Edited by Nicholas Brody

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

Before he was appointed, we didn’t want any of the Scottish dinosaurs. Any mention of some names, now being thrown around, were met with derision.

Most were delighted with a new approach from someone with a decent record, although not spectacular. We listened to anecdotes of how popular he was at Barnsley and the brand of attacking football, which was a utopia for us after the bore fest of recent years.

I’m still aboard, but he really needs to find some way of preventing us giving ordinary teams goals of a start. Our defending is pitiful and easy to score against. The number of goals we are scoring now should be enough to win games. They’re not because of our poor defensive play.

Time and time again, a fair few people brought up Robbo's name - to much derision. "No more ex-players", etc, etc. I liked the sound of Stendel the moment his name came up, but Robbo was the very obvious safe option capable of playing much better football than I think folk give him credit for.

I said after the result against der Hun to calm down, they have been honking since coming back from the break and there was an air of belief with Boyce arriving. But that's been very short lived and results quickly went back to normal. I won't go stat checking but it definitely has a feel that this team will concede even more goals since Stendel took the helm, that feeling is clearly there with the opponent. 

There's enough concern to question could this guy be trusted with a budget in the summer regardless what league the team finds it's self. Signings that would hit the ground running, at present they all look utter horse shite, maybe with Boyce the exception. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, VALDOS' said:

I said after the result against der Hun to calm down, they have been honking since coming back from the break and there was an air of belief with Boyce arriving. But that's been very short lived and results quickly went back to normal. I won't go stat checking but it definitely has a feel that this team will concede even more goals since Stendel took the helm, that feeling is clearly there with the opponent. 

There's enough concern to question could this guy be trusted with a budget in the summer regardless what league the team finds it's self. Signings that would hit the ground running, at present they all look utter horse shite, maybe with Boyce the exception. 

Boyce and Sibbick look very promising and what we need, Langer is raw but seems to have the tools for the Scottish game. Avidjaj looks like completely the wrong player for a Scottish winter though. Been said before January is a hard window to find players who can hit the ground running, as most available haven't been playing. That's why Boyce was a surprise. First player we've signed for a while, apart from Halkett maybe, who had been playing consistently and playing well.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

The mistakes they made weren't tactical though. They were basic errors. 

The first one isn't wholly their fault. They both are last line of defence and should do better.

I think it's Boyce that loses out on the 1st ball from Zlamal kick, then there's 2 Bites at winning the 2nd ball, Smith was nowhere near it, he was too deep. 

The balls knocked forward, the boy out muscles Soapy, the ball runs through unread by neither Clare nor Smith who should both have done better, at this point they should still stop the cross. I don't know wtf Halkett is doing but he clearly doesn't read the play, hasn't noticed the boy because he's watching what is happening with the ball and makes no attempt to get in there between that cross. 

The 2nd is Hickey’s fault in the first place. His pass to Bobby was a shocker. Bobby should have maybe punted it but he's obv been told to keep possession and gives it to Soapy. Soapy could have passed it or gotten rid but he's wanted too long and got caught. Clare imo is unlucky, hangs out a leg but he's desperate to stop that chance which would never have happened if Hickey had played an easy ball in the first place. 

It had absolutely nothing to do with leaving them exposed. 

It was player errors today that cost both goals. Apart from that Hamilton barely got a sniff. 

This in spades 

Every single goal that we lose now and because we are shipping so many I’m watching as to see if it is a tactical error or not. Call it paranoia, but it’s the first thing I try and decipher 

It’s still brain farts that are costing us the goals. It’s not the tactics. Individual errors. 

I want the attack philosophy to work. I’m still on train Stendel but we are in serious soap at the moment 

47 minutes ago, Coco said:

I think it is fair to be either seeing success (winning games), improved performances or changes to the style of play by now.

We've seen none of these things.  Yes the squad is a terrible indictment of Levein and MacPhee but it is now Stendel's and he is doing a terrible job.

Spot on Coco.

No evidence that the “principles of play” have been modified at all. If anything we are even more shambolic than under Levein and Cathro.

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Correct we now disappoint playing attacking football rather than just disappoint play defensive football.

Pretty much covers it. It’s like bad sex. Still sex 😀

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

have to say nearly off.

soft as shit at the back

pedestrian

predictable

daft needless fouls

players for some dog only known reason wont shoot from outside the box..

For me it's the midfield. We dont have one. I think if we did, everything else would fall into place, to an extent.

But we'd still be relegated. 

6 minutes ago, HardcoreJambo said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with my original post which you picked fault at. Managers are judged on results. As I said originally, I feel sorry for Stendel given its not the start of the season where he's had a summer to build a squad. Instead he's inherited a poor side from Levein. I'm not saying its his fault entirely. I made that clear. However next week if we lose, e are in big s**t and I'll be as  disappointed as everyone else. At that point I'll be wondering if removing him from his post is best for the club. These days managers get sacked for a bad run of 5 games. The results speak from themselves and they haven't been good enough. Arguing semantics with me doesn't change that.

Too many people wanting rid of someone for not immediately sorting out the cluster that Levein - by your own admission - left. What makes you think the next manager we employ would be able to drag us out the shit any better? 

And actually there is something wrong with your original post. It’s typical of the modern day football fan who wants instant improvement/success. The club was poisoned to its core but you wanted it changed immediately. Despite the fact that the manager was hamstrung with what he could do in the short time he’s been here you’re now hanging about the Grim Reaper waiting on the next defeat. Get a grip FFS. 

20 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

I said before the before the break resumed it was no good betting Rangers if we didn't beat the others.Rangers result now looking hugely important though.

Edited by vegas-voss

SectionDJambo
20 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Time and time again, a fair few people brought up Robbo's name - to much derision. "No more ex-players", etc, etc. I liked the sound of Stendel the moment his name came up, but Robbo was the very obvious safe option capable of playing much better football than I think folk give him credit for.

Yes

But most also said get John Robertson until the end of the season. He wasn't going to leave Inverness for that. We made our choice and now we just have to go with it and hope Stendel can hit a winning formula very soon.

2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Still up for having him here but yeah can't blame anyone for thinking he's not up to it. Doesn't help but I was reading a while ago that a big criticism of this new wave of exciting German coaches was that they're too big on attacking and have no idea how to get their teams to defend. Bundesliga is full of teams with this problem.

In Van Dyke, Robertson, Allison and Alexander Arnold Liverpool have arguably the best defence in the world right now. That's what it takes to play this system.

1 hour ago, VagabondJambo said:

I am completely with you on this!

Re Souttar and Halkett, I see them as “old-style” defenders, and they are struggling big-time to adjust to Stendelpress.  Look at them today!  Sideways and backward passing a la Levein era - and they just can’t cope with breakaway attacks OR even pressure cross-balls.

I look at Halkett and his lethargic and dispassionate demeanor, and am not seeking someone who previously captained a Premiership team.

Yes, Pereira has been a nightmare, however most goal concessions have initially been down to failures at the centre of defense.

Retaining Berra would have been a worse nightmare under the new system.

(I wish we had a Gogic!)

Stendel is the best and most exciting appointment Hearts have made in years.

Stendelpress IS our system now - forget Plan B or Plan C.

I believe the system will be successful, we will stay up, and we’ll be challenging at the top next season (Premiership, not Championship!).

There are no words.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Still up for having him here but yeah can't blame anyone for thinking he's not up to it. Doesn't help but I was reading a while ago that a big criticism of this new wave of exciting German coaches was that they're too big on attacking and have no idea how to get their teams to defend. Bundesliga is full of teams with this problem.

To be honest we'd be more than likely fine if our league was full of teams wanting to play the same style. That would make for a fantastically entertaining league with loads of high scoring games. The problem is our league is full of teams with no interest in playing any football whatsoever.

This was always going to be the problem with Stendel and we have to hope he has enough about him to recognise it and adjust how he sets us up accordingly. Levein went the other way. He played pressing and high tempo attacking only very rarely, with enough decent results from it that many people wanted him to do it more. He knew the dangers though even if he was too cautious a lot of the time. Neilson had the right balance for me from our recent managers.

Edited by ToqueJambo

45 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

You somehow think that Inverness are just going to let Robbo go to help salvage our season?

So much deluded pish on here tonight.

It's the entitlement that has got Hearts here. 

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Think he may be the right man at the wrong time.. we have gone for hoofball to try and play like Liverpool overnight

This is where I am at. 

I really like him and I think he could do very well once he's had a pre-season and brought in players suited to his style, however, we don't have the luxury of time right now.

Levein obviously shoulders some responsibility for our current position but Stendel must be equally so if he can't stop us going down with well over half a season in games available to him. 

I'm not saying we sack him, I just think he needs to adapt to our current situation rather than press on with a style that either isn't working, or, the players are not capable of executing it correctly. 

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, Jambo-Fox said:

‘Toffee Bob’! Player more times for Queens Park & Newcastle than Rangers!

Didn’t know that. I had just he’d played for Rangers. Anyway cheers for the info 👍

36 minutes ago, dazinho88 said:

This is where I am at. 

I really like him and I think he could do very well once he's had a pre-season and brought in players suited to his style, however, we don't have the luxury of time right now.

Levein obviously shoulders some responsibility for our current position but Stendel must be equally so if he can't stop us going down with well over half a season in games available to him. 

I'm not saying we sack him, I just think he needs to adapt to our current situation rather than press on with a style that either isn't working, or, the players are not capable of executing it correctly. 

Fully fit squad, excellent squad, totally backed in staff and players in the transfer window. 

If we go down, no chance he will bring us back up. His tactics are a million miles away from being what’s needed in that division.

Just now, Satchmo said:

If we go down, no chance he will bring us back up. His tactics are a million miles away from being what’s needed in that division.

What utter nonsense. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

It would either be lots of fun or a disaster going by the evidence so far. Neilson showed how to dominate that division and it's not by neglecting the defensive part of the game. It's about having better players in every position, being much fitter than most other teams and dominating possession.

2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Changed the game in our favour moving Smith back to right back and moving Clare further forward.

Some folk aren't happy unless they're unhappy.

Hardly rocket science. Should have started that way. Clare ain't no right back.

3 hours ago, brux said:

Bobby did a absolutely nothing wrong today 

Maybe because he had absolutely nothing to do?

• Maple Leaf locked this topic