Stendel Train.

kingantti1874

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Martin_T said:

It's a results based business and the results are not good enough.

Up until the first half of the St Johnstone game there was evidence of progress, however the last few games have been shambolic and it's at least in part to the tactical inflexibility of Stendel.

If you don't have the players to play a high line, don't play with one.

They look confused and at odds with themselves while making some really poor decisions 

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Spoleto

• Ethan Hunt

• The rat catcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

do you not think that should be recognised though and we find a way to manage it. 

You can’t just keep making the same mistakes again and again and again surely

6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Why does he leave them completely exposed?

Credit where due Clare eventually got the hook from right back. 

Worst defensive player I've ever seen. 

Smith also manages to make better cross balls. 

The style of play is not suitable and that is Daniel Stendel and Daniel Stendel alone. 

Stats are worse and that in itself is some sort of achievement. 

One win now in how many games?

10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

do you not think that should be recognised though and we find a way to manage it. 

You can’t just keep making the same mistakes again and again and again surely

The mistakes they made weren't tactical though. They were basic errors. 

The first one isn't wholly their fault. They both are last line of defence and should do better.

I think it's Boyce that loses out on the 1st ball from Zlamal kick, then there's 2 Bites at winning the 2nd ball, Smith was nowhere near it, he was too deep. 

The balls knocked forward, the boy out muscles Soapy, the ball runs through unread by neither Clare nor Smith who should both have done better, at this point they should still stop the cross. I don't know wtf Halkett is doing but he clearly doesn't read the play, hasn't noticed the boy because he's watching what is happening with the ball and makes no attempt to get in there between that cross. 

The 2nd is Hickey’s fault in the first place. His pass to Bobby was a shocker. Bobby should have maybe punted it but he's obv been told to keep possession and gives it to Soapy. Soapy could have passed it or gotten rid but he's wanted too long and got caught. Clare imo is unlucky, hangs out a leg but he's desperate to stop that chance which would never have happened if Hickey had played an easy ball in the first place. 

It had absolutely nothing to do with leaving them exposed. 

It was player errors today that cost both goals. Apart from that Hamilton barely got a sniff. 

*league stats only

Before Stendel

Goals per game scored 1.07

Goals per game conceded 1.73

Points per game 0.8

After Stendel:

Goals per game scored 1.33

Goals per game conceded 1.5

Points per game 0.58

:interehjrling:

Edited by Cade

Changed the game in our favour moving Smith back to right back and moving Clare further forward.

Some folk aren't happy unless they're unhappy.

5 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Can you explain why we have a better squad than most teams in the league please?

We've picked up the least amount of points since 2019 started. 

We are demonstrably the worst team in the league. No argument.

VagabondJambo
8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Still on the Stendel train. 

It's no Stendels fault that Souttar and Halkett are soft as shite and have the concentration levels of a 2 year old. 

I am completely with you on this!

Re Souttar and Halkett, I see them as “old-style” defenders, and they are struggling big-time to adjust to Stendelpress.  Look at them today!  Sideways and backward passing a la Levein era - and they just can’t cope with breakaway attacks OR even pressure cross-balls.

I look at Halkett and his lethargic and dispassionate demeanor, and am not seeking someone who previously captained a Premiership team.

Yes, Pereira has been a nightmare, however most goal concessions have initially been down to failures at the centre of defense.

Retaining Berra would have been a worse nightmare under the new system.

(I wish we had a Gogic!)

Stendel is the best and most exciting appointment Hearts have made in years.

Stendelpress IS our system now - forget Plan B or Plan C.

I believe the system will be successful, we will stay up, and we’ll be challenging at the top next season (Premiership, not Championship!).

2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Changed the game in our favour moving Smith back to right back and moving Clare further forward.

If only he had starred with this chamge like a good few on here have been wanting 

N Lincs Jambo
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Perhaps R S McColl??

Who at least was a footballer (played for oldco Rangers many moons ago).

14 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Got on at Waverley, got off at South Gyle. 

Remember the times jumping off at Haymarket.

2 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

We are demonstrably the worst team in the league. No argument.

Yep. Whist there are issues which he doesn't seem to rectify, this squad was built by someone else designed to play a completely different style. We had to get rid of folk so we could try bring others in. Years of poor management coming to bite us now. 

I think the job Stendel walked into was alot more difficult than most appreciate.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

have to say nearly off.

soft as shit at the back

pedestrian

predictable

daft needless fouls

players for some dog only known reason wont shoot from outside the box..

Off at 3 nil killie. 

He has no concept of how to defend in a game of football. 

3 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Yep. Whist there are issues which he doesn't seem to rectify, this squad was built by someone else designed to play a completely different style. We had to get rid of folk so we could try bring others in. Years of poor management coming to bite us now. 

I think the job Stendel walked into was alot more difficult than most appreciate.

Fair, but he is in charge now and has to find a way to keep us in the league. One win in 11 in this league is indefensible. Awful.

Ainsley Harriott
25 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

The games are more exciting, we’re scoring more goals but the results are nearly as bad

Correct we now disappoint playing attacking football rather than just disappoint play defensive football.

25 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Why does he leave them completely exposed?

Credit where due Clare eventually got the hook from right back. 

Worst defensive player I've ever seen. 

Smith also manages to make better cross balls. 

The style of play is not suitable and that is Daniel Stendel and Daniel Stendel alone. 

Stats are worse and that in itself is some sort of achievement. 

One win now in how many games?

I feel, especially on the tighter pitch, that the high press squishes the midfield into a almost non-existence. Also the back line should not be quite that high given the players we have right now and their fitness levels. Maybe more baby steps towards this philosophy needed (and a summer transfer window).

I do hope we see Stendel adapt more to Scottish football, especially the sort we'll be up against in the bottom six battles.

GorgieRules22
25 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

So it was the manager that was standing offside while looking along the line (Walker). The manager that didn't't follow up good crosses in the box? Aye right son. I think it shows you utter lack of understanding a lot more. 

It was the manager that started with around four or five strikers. The players look lost. The manager is showing that he is fairly clueless up to now.

Give me the positives I’m all ears.

12 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Who at least was a footballer (played for oldco Rangers many moons ago).

‘Toffee Bob’! Player more times for Queens Park & Newcastle than Rangers!

Gordon Ramsay
23 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Never seen you post anything other than negative. Maybe Hearts aren’t the team for you.

I'll post what I like 😂

I'm still on the train,. Surely there's a way we can be a bit tighter at the back and still score the goals!   I'd like to give him a couple of more transfer windows,. Providing we stay up of course, which I think we will,. Most likely through the play offs 

Guest ToqueJambo

Had one about Clare. now Cathro. Still waiting for an apology about Robbie Neilson. An awfy lot of people in denial about wanting rid of one of our most consistent managers - who could have us both scoring goals and being tight defensively - at a time when we needed a consistent manager. Maybe this winning points malarky isn't that easy after all?

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

have to say nearly off.

soft as shit at the back

pedestrian

predictable

daft needless fouls

players for some dog only known reason wont shoot from outside the box..

Have never really got on it. Keep going to games with  my fingers crossed that this will be the game where I can see that he has a winning way and has got the message over to the players.  Sadly 11 games in there is no sign of progress, two of his four signings look to be a lot worse than what we had, one seems to be struggling illness wise and the other is now crocked. Stendel’s inability to realise that a football team needs a solid midfield  is baffling. A 19 year-old isn’t going to keep us in games on his own. 
His inability to make the right substitutions is also a worry. Boyce was struggling after 15 minutes today yet he played the full game and by start of second half was clearly no better than 50% fit to play. Yet two further substitutions made and Boyce stays on. Anyone saying it was 11 v 10 today wasn’t watching. It was 10 v 10 with Boyce a bystander due to injury yet no-one in our dugout spotted it or even worse, they ignored it. 
Hope I’m wrong but can’t see us winning enough games with this style to ensure we can stay up. 

It should have been ten
4 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

I'll post what I like 😂

Oh you do like some things 😱

1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Doubt he will stay if relegated. 

Wouldn’t want him to. Think that’s the deal anyway. Everyone else he has brought in, except Boyce, only has a contract until June. And Boyce almost certainly has a relegation clause in his contract. 

Guest ToqueJambo
17 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

I like Stendel and want him to do well, but players like Naismith, Washington, Halkett, Walker, Souttar, Boyce, Hickey, Smith and Clare are more than capable of playing that system at this level. For the jobs they need to do, Irving, Uche and Sibbick also should be up to it, with some energetic youngsters like Henderson and Moore in reserve. He has all the tools he needs. He just needs to park any idea of a footballing philosophy until summer and set us up to win 3 pts whatever way we can. 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I like Stendel and want him to do well, but players like Naismith, Washington, Halkett, Walker, Souttar, Boyce, Hickey, Smith and Clare are more than capable of playing that system at this level. For the jobs they need to do, Irving, Uche and Sibbick also should be up to it, with some energetic youngsters like Henderson and Moore in reserve. He has all the tools he needs. He just needs to park any idea of a footballing philosophy until summer and set us up to win 3 pts whatever way we can. 

Based on what?

2 managers have failed to do well with this squad. 

We've appointed him, I'm happy to give him more time. 

52 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Still on the Stendel train. 

It's no Stendels fault that Souttar and Halkett are soft as shite and have the concentration levels of a 2 year old. 

This is currently me. 

Couldn’t understand a word he was muttering in post match interview  BBC Scotland .When asked difficult questions  rambled nonsense  when asked about Hamilton boss comments ( that theyd have got all the points if they kept 11 on pitch ) his English became well clear 

DS must start communicating better to team soon  as we’re well on course to crash 

34 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Smith played right back almost every week and was our best player in first half of season. Can’t understand why Stendel moves our best defender out of defence when clearly, playing his pressing game, we will be more exposed at the back than normal.  We were crying out for one or two decent midfield players in January and could clearly have got McGeouch and/or Docherty had we gone after them. But no, we went after Langer, Avdijaj and Sibbick. Midfield will be the reason we are relegated if we are. We are expecting a 19 year-old in his debut first team season to carry the entire creative weight on his shoulders with no runners beside him. It’s just basic tactical shambles. 

Still on the train but a few more platforms and I might not be.

He hasto sort us out defensively. It's killing us how poor we are currently at the back. 

Would like a bit more pragmatism now, stay up,  and then have a summer and pre season transfer  lwindow to move fully to his style.

Ricardo Quaresma
47 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Can you explain why we have a better squad than most teams in the league please?

We've picked up the least amount of points since 2019 started

Liedown 3

US 6

Hamilton 2

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma
Bold Italics

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Based on what?

2 managers have failed to do well with this squad. 

We've appointed him, I'm happy to give him more time. 

It's a much better squad than our league position. Certainly much better than the teams down there with us. The problem is they're used to relegation battles and are prepared for it every season. It's new for us and these players. It's the manager's job to get on top of that.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's a much better squad than our league position. Certainly much better than the teams down there with us. The problem is they're used to relegation battles and are prepared for it every season. It's new for us and these players. It's the manager's job to get on top of that.

Our squad is rotten. There's about 4 players good enough to play for Hearts.

Awful management over the last 3 years. 

Edited by Ari Gold

I think it is fair to be either seeing success (winning games), improved performances or changes to the style of play by now.

We've seen none of these things.  Yes the squad is a terrible indictment of Levein and MacPhee but it is now Stendel's and he is doing a terrible job.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

Our squad is seriously overrat

You can only compare it to the other teams. We shouldn't be anywhere near bottom with these players.

43 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The mistakes they made weren't tactical though. They were basic errors. 

The first one isn't wholly their fault. They both are last line of defence and should do better.

I think it's Boyce that loses out on the 1st ball from Zlamal kick, then there's 2 Bites at winning the 2nd ball, Smith was nowhere near it, he was too deep. 

The balls knocked forward, the boy out muscles Soapy, the ball runs through unread by neither Clare nor Smith who should both have done better, at this point they should still stop the cross. I don't know wtf Halkett is doing but he clearly doesn't read the play, hasn't noticed the boy because he's watching what is happening with the ball and makes no attempt to get in there between that cross. 

The 2nd is Hickey’s fault in the first place. His pass to Bobby was a shocker. Bobby should have maybe punted it but he's obv been told to keep possession and gives it to Soapy. Soapy could have passed it or gotten rid but he's wanted too long and got caught. Clare imo is unlucky, hangs out a leg but he's desperate to stop that chance which would never have happened if Hickey had played an easy ball in the first place. 

It had absolutely nothing to do with leaving them exposed. 

It was player errors today that cost both goals. Apart from that Hamilton barely got a sniff. 

Spot on you can have whatever manager you want, if players decision making isn't up to it this is what happens, Naismith had made the run and was screaming on it, and Hickey decided to turn back and pass it backwards then Bobby had the chance to clear it up the park, instead he passed it to Souttar who had a man up his arse, fecking bonkers decision making basic for fecksake. 

11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We're more than set up to win 3 points. 

This is what we wanted. Play to win. That is exactly what he does and we are a better football team for it. It’s the players. It was the players when Levein was incharge that let him down as well. 

Individual errors are costing us points and have done all season. He changed the GK today who cost us points and today it was basic errors from others rather than the keeper that cost us.

How can you legislate for that? 

If we didn't make such stupid mistakes, we probably take 7-9 points from games v St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Hamilton. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Spot on you can have whatever manager you want, if players decision making isn't up to it this is what happens, Naismith had made the run and was screaming on it, and Hickey decided to turn back and pass it backwards then Bobby had the chance to clear it up the park, instead he passed it to Souttar who had a man up his arse, fecking bonkers decision making basic for fecksake. 

Nerves are a bog factor here IMO. I'm a ball of nerves watching these games, can't imagine playing in them. Stendel needs to identify the players up for the fight and willing to be brave and pick them.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

We're more than set up to win 3 points. 

This is what we wanted. Play to win. That is exactly what he does and we are a better football team for it. It’s the players. It was the players when Levein was incharge that let him down as well. 

Individual errors are costing us points and have done all season. He changed the GK today who cost us points and today it was basic errors from others rather than the keeper that cost us.

How can you legislate for that? 

If we didn't make such stupid mistakes, we probably take 7-9 points from games v St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Hamilton. 

I agree. We've given away so many soft goals the last 18 months not just Stendel's time. Playing to win is about much more than attacking though.

Governor Tarkin
49 minutes ago, VagabondJambo said:

I am completely with you on this!

Re Souttar and Halkett, I see them as “old-style” defenders, and they are struggling big-time to adjust to Stendelpress.  Look at them today!  Sideways and backward passing a la Levein era - and they just can’t cope with breakaway attacks OR even pressure cross-balls.

I look at Halkett and his lethargic and dispassionate demeanor, and am not seeking someone who previously captained a Premiership team.

Yes, Pereira has been a nightmare, however most goal concessions have initially been down to failures at the centre of defense.

Retaining Berra would have been a worse nightmare under the new system.

(I wish we had a Gogic!)

Stendel is the best and most exciting appointment Hearts have made in years.

Stendelpress IS our system now - forget Plan B or Plan C.

I believe the system will be successful, we will stay up, and we’ll be challenging at the top next season (Premiership, not Championship!).

:jj:

43 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'm on it. I'll enjoy the ride.

34 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Mental.

Just mental :lol: 

26 minutes ago, JamboCampbell said:

I am in first class and loving it

:pleasing:

We're in a position where we cannot afford passengers, and neither Langer nor Avdijaj are currently up to the rigours of the Scottish game, yet Stendel has given them a chance ahead of others. Perhaps he finds it easier to communicate his ideas to them and they give him a positive response,  but we have others who are in better physical condition and who should be up to speed with the game. 

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Nerves are a bog factor here IMO. I'm a ball of nerves watching these games, can't imagine playing in them. Stendel needs to identify the players up for the fight and willing to be brave and pick them.

Can only pick what he has available to him mate, if these players can't handle the pressure of being in a relegation dogfight, then quite simply they dont deserve to play for Heart of Midlothian football club 👍

Still backing Stendel. 

It's not been great but the guy won automatic promotion at the first time of asking last season. No mean feat when many other clubs were better resourced and in what was an arduous 46 game campaign. That suggests, to me anyway, that we have a good coach.

Avoiding relegation is hardly mission impossible. We need a few wins and I think we'll get them, and the required points, to make us safe. 

Next season, with his own squad tailor made for his style of play, we'll perhaps see the attacking, winning football Barnsley fans enjoyed last season. 

1 hour ago, HardcoreJambo said:

I normally give new managers and players a decent amount of time before truly judging them and voicing my opinion on whether they should remain at the club etc. I feel that under different circumstances (not in a relegation battle/ start of a new season) he could have done a better job. Hamilton would have beaten us today had it not been for the red card. Another week and we are sill bottom. St Mirren away is going to be tough. If we lose there then we are going down. I'll probably be calling for Stendels to be sacked next week if we lose.

What will you do if we win?

I never got on the train but hoped it would do well. Next season it will be stopping at exciting new stations like Arbroath and Alloa whoever is driving it.

Wee question (admittedly hypothetical):- Would we have a better chance of staying up if Stendel left now and Naismith was player manager for the rest of the season? Not really suggesting it but I remember someone on a previous thread saying that if Stendel left we would have to turn to Levein.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Can only pick what he has available to him mate, if these players can't handle the pressure of being in a relegation dogfight, then quite simply they dont deserve to play for Heart of Midlothian football club 👍

It certainly wasn't the game for Avidjaj to come into or for Naismith playing some sort of deep midfielder role. This was a get the ball in the box as often as possible kind of day. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, deejtee said:

I never got on the train but hoped it would do well. Next season it will be stopping at exciting new stations like Arbroath and Alloa whoever is driving it.

Wee question (admittedly hypothetical):- Would we have a better chance of staying up if Stendel left now and Naismith was player manager for the rest of the season? Not really suggesting it but I remember someone on a previous thread saying that if Stendel left we would have to turn to Levein.

Naismith has hid for the last four games. We would have a better chance of staying up if he stepped up to the plate.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

It certainly wasn't the game for Avidjaj to come into or for Naismith playing some sort of deep midfielder role. This was a get the ball in the box as often as possible kind of day.

Correct I would be tempted to play Halkett upfront in the next couple of games, but we can't just get rid of Stendel's way of playing, I think if Toby had been playing today, we would have been more solid in the middle of the park, the guy has the balls to take the game by the scruff of the neck as shown in the rangers game. 

• Maple Leaf locked this topic