Weather Forecast

TyphoonJambo

11 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

That is true but anybody should recognise that it is foolish to deliberately put yourself in harms way for no good reason. For example, different situation but, if the ground was covered but the weather forecast was for high winds and snow making travelling conditions dangerous it would be foolish not to postpone the game... even though the conditions at the ground would be perfectly playable. The point is was making, trying to, was that the safety of the public traveling to and from the game is what should be the arbiter of whether the game goes ahead or not... not whether the players could cope with the weather conditions.

It's only a yellow weather warning here which doesn't mean people are in danger. No way you can start postponing games for fan safety every time there is a yellow warning.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jock _turd

• The Real Maroonblood

• Morgan

• Mikey1874

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Come on man it's a bit of wind and rain there's no need to be so dramatic. We've always had weather like this it's only recently we've gone all American and started naming the systems as if its proper hurricanes coming in. If it was heavy ice and snow I'd agree but this? Nah. 

I agree but did you actually read my post?

"If safety is an issue, and it definitely is, the game should be postponed end of."

The point being made is that safety of travelling public is the priority. I did not say that the game should be postponed BUT if the bit in bold and underlined is true then the game should be cancelled .

Just now, Hungry hippo said:

It's only a yellow weather warning here which doesn't mean people are in danger. No way you can start postponing games for fan safety every time there is a yellow warning.

See bellow another who did not read my post properly.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm also in Spain and will be watching the game in the sun with copious amounts of alcohol, wouldn't mind my flight home tomorrow being cancelled for another couple of days though.

Thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

🍺🍷

5 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

To bd worse in the west. Heavy rain showers and a breeze in the east.  Game will be on 

50 mph during game

Keep the ball on the ground but if wind is consistent you can work out how to play in it. 

1 minute ago, jock _turd said:

"If safety is an issue, and it definitely is, the game should be postponed end of."

The point being made is that safety of travelling public is the priority. I did not say that the game should be postponed BUT if the bit in bold and underlined is true then the game should be cancelled .

Fair dos 👍 safety of the fans should be and is the priority and games have been cancelled in recent years due to it (ice being the main factor if memory serves). 

3 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

50 mph is okay for safety. Some outdoor venues like Princes  Street Gardens will probably be closed. 

Just watch out for anything coming towards your head. 

8 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Deleted my response as I was getting petty.

Edited by Hungry hippo

Just now, Hungry hippo said:

So what you meant was 'if safety is definitely an issue'. We read your post fine. What you wrote was that safety definitely is an issue.

Sorry you are right. Of course what I meant was if safety is an issue , and it has to definitely be and issue, the game should be cancelled... what happens on the pitch due to the weather is of no consequence.. that is my point. Games should only be called off if there is a danger to the travelling public not whether or not our 75m howitzer shell balls game plan will be effected by the conditions :lol:

2 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Sorry you are right. Of course what I meant was if safety is an issue , and it has to definitely be and issue, the game should be cancelled... what happens on the pitch due to the weather is of no consequence.. that is my point. Games should only be called off if there is a danger to the travelling public not whether or not our 75m howitzer shell balls game plan will be effected by the conditions :lol:

In some countries.

Buildings and infrastructure here are built to withstand winds. It's pretty safe. 

Edited by Mikey1874

26 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

You could make a case for it sure but it would have to be followed in all aspects of life including work and it wont happen.  Individuals should make their own decisions on travel.  I just think the modern phenomenon of naming "storms" , when in reality its a bit of wind and rain, leads to an overreaction in many quarters.  There is a daily risk for everybody and we should make our own decisions.  My decision is to go to the game and take a very small risk because I love watching my team.  If I'm dealt a bad hand then that's life.

Again I agree BUT if the authorities take the decision to postpone the game due to poor travelling conditions YOU do not have to make a decision the game is cancelled and you can go to the boozer at your own risk:lol:

24 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

50 mph during game

Keep the ball on the ground but if wind is consistent you can work out how to play in it. 

Won’t be though.  Forecast is for 15-20 mph wind with gusts up to 40-50mph. Nothing consistent in that. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

In some countries.

Buildings and infrastructure here are built to withstand winds. It's pretty safe. 

Then you could not possible be talking about the UK there could you did you see the devastation due to the last puff of wind the UK got? :laugh2: 

11 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

No worries JT.

6 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Then you could not possible be talking about the UK there could you did you see the devastation due to the last puff of wind the UK got? :laugh2: 

Mainly flooding 

Nucky Thompson
58 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm also in Spain and will be watching the game in the sun with copious amounts of alcohol, wouldn't mind my flight home tomorrow being cancelled for another couple of days though.

I’m in Lanzarote, been glorious here. Fly home tomorrow too

iwasthere1954
1 hour ago, jock _turd said:

Why are you so persistent in trying to put fans off going to the game. Post after post. Are you on commission

I'm 10 mins walk away and there are no great winds at present and of course its damp but no rain

No excuse get out, get there and the biggest trouble will be the blooming roadworks which seem designed to stop people reaching or travelling in Gorgie

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, sassenach said:

It doesn't feel too windy to me, but it's still blown me into Diggers :) 

It a hard life.

Life’s a breeze.

🍺👍

51 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Fair dos 👍 safety of the fans should be and is the priority and games have been cancelled in recent years due to it (ice being the main factor if memory serves). 

I can guarantee nothing would happen to me because of weather if I went to the game today, people need to take responsibility for themselves, it's not like the stadium is going to blow away or that.

1 minute ago, iwasthere1954 said:

Why are you so persistent in trying to put fans off going to the game. Post after post. Are you on commission

Again... I am not. I was replying to the OP who was suggesting the game should be postponed. My stance is you only cancel a game if there is a genuine safety risk.. which is not the case. I hope this clarifies ?

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, RudiHMFC said:

I can guarantee nothing would happen to me because of weather if I went to the game today, people need to take responsibility for themselves, it's not like the stadium is going to blow away or that.

Exactly.

AlphonseCapone

I wish we had summer football so folk would stop going on about the ****ing weather. People only started "worrying" about this shit as soon as they started naming wind. Genuinely can't remember grown men getting in a flap about weather a few years ago. Wind ffs. It's Edinburgh, it's always windy! 

Rant over. But for folk driving, there's temporary traffic lights at the Gorgie and Dalry Road junction and there's also road works on Calder Road just before Gorgie Road. Give yourself plenty time, traffic will be horrendous today. 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

I wish we had summer football so folk would stop going on about the ****ing weather. People only started "worrying" about this shit as soon as they started naming wind. Genuinely can't remember grown men getting in a flap about weather a few years ago. Wind ffs. It's Edinburgh, it's always windy! 

Rant over. But for folk driving, there's temporary traffic lights at the Gorgie and Dalry Road junction and there's also road works on Calder Road just before Gorgie Road. Give yourself plenty time, traffic will be horrendous today. 

Re the traffic....all this at the same time ?..conspiracy theory alert..just who is organising these !!

3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Re the traffic....all this at the same time ?..conspiracy theory alert..just who is organising these !!

****ing Levein

Dagger Is Back
4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Re Calder Road. On my way in now. Stuck for 20 minutes on the Calder Road before the prison. 

I’d be avoiding that area if at all possible later on

1 hour ago, jock _turd said:

I think people are missing the real point here... it is not about 22 people playing a game of football... it is about 15K plus people travelling to and from this game in safety! If safety is an issue, an it definitely is, the game should be postponed end of. Of course we know that won't happen but god forbid someone driving along the road and being hit by a falling tree or someone being hit by debris falling from a roof due to the high winds or maybe a train hitting a fallen tree in a rail track.  These are reason to postpone a football match not whether the over paid twats on the field can play in the conditions .

It is only a yellow weather alert, let's not get carried away

We are in winter, stormy season right now. Is the chance of a tree falling on you right now higher than the chance of being hit by a car crossing a road?

1 minute ago, kila said:

It is only a yellow weather alert, let's not get carried away

We are in winter, stormy season right now. Is the chance of a tree falling on you right now higher than the chance of being hit by a car crossing a road?

An interesting question... Just for the hell of it:laugh2: 

If you are walking on a tree lined pavement  and only ever cross a road at the appropriate road crossing.. YES :lol:

Just now, jock _turd said:

An interesting question... Just for the hell of it:laugh2: 

If you are walking on a tree lined pavement  and only ever cross a road at the appropriate road crossing.. YES :lol:

Just as well Edinburgh Council are obsessed with destroying trees then :(

Is it safe to get the tram into Haymarket or should I start walking from the Airport.

Not even going to risk one of the double deckers bus things. They're going round corners on 3 wheels.

Think this could be the end.

1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

Is it safe to get the tram into Haymarket or should I start walking from the Airport.

Not even going to risk one of the double deckers bus things. They're going round corners on 3 wheels.

Think this could be the end.

Had you down as the sort who'd have a limo driver and an xylospongium servant

2 minutes ago, kila said:

Had you down as the sort who'd have a limo driver and an xylospongium servant

I gave #victorian the day off.

Looking very much like the Motherwell v St Mirren game will be off, been pishing down relentlessly since 7am this morning.

Fixture congestion for St Mirren could work in our favour, they already have a replay v Motherwell taking up a midweek slot.

Just now, TypoonJambo said:

Totally agree, wumin love a strong, decisive kind of guy. Tell her to can it, get her nails done (nothing too fancy mind, doing the washing will wreck them anyway) and get yourself to the game. 

This approach worked fine with my 3 ex wifes. 

:biggrin:

7 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Wind's getting pretty bad here in West Edinbugh.

Yeah. The game will go ahead but it's not going to be pretty.

Was going to pick up tickets today but the mate (stays in Fife) doesn't fancy driving over, especially if the game is cancelled and work commitments mean he won't make a mid-week re-schedule. Oh well, need to look for a link IF the game is on. M'oan the He'rts! Fingers oot!

4 hours ago, SectionN said:

Weather isn’t going to be the best and I’ve heard a lot of temporary traffic lights in and around Gorgie/Saughton which has been causing havoc all week.

And roadworks at west approach. 

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

Yeah. The game will go ahead but it's not going to be pretty.

Indeed.

5 minutes ago, the general said:

it has certainly picked up in last 20 mins

Fearing for the neighbours trampoline.

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Your needing to change your name, mate :lol:

Try LightbreezeJambo

Not ideal, as last weekend proves your concern.

:biggrin2:

4 hours ago, SectionN said:

Weather isn’t going to be the best and I’ve heard a lot of temporary traffic lights in and around Gorgie/Saughton which has been causing havoc all week.

Roadworks in Sighthill too.   And West Approach Road, unless that one is finished.