Royal Bank of Scotland

OBE

Space Mackerel
16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sh Mack, we're just Terrorists who want to destroy Britland by making Scotland even shiter, by giving Scotland it's independence and full powers to change our policies to suit the size of our country and protecting our people by not going into wars that we don't want.

Some people really are drama queens on here eh. :lol: 

On 14/02/2020 at 20:42, Dagger Is Back said:

Worked with RBS for 19 years. Was a great place to work in those years.

Made loads of friends that I still have today. Met the trouble and strife.

All ruined in my mind by the greed and inflated ego of one Fred Goodwin.

I’m the same - loads of mates in ten years there and met the wife. 

Goodwin should still be serving time imo 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

One of the deals of the Union. Live with it. We need to live with the rest.

Are Scottish Bank cards and credit cards daft anaw. Do u accept them, or do we need to change to something more suitable for you. Do people outside of Scotland have bank accounts with these silly bank note printers. 

Anyway, why is it called the bank of England anyway?  And why should we use foreign notes, if you don't? And did a Scotsman not invent that place. Probably invented England anaw. Come to think of it, we invented everything!!!!!! Apart from Slaves, Apartheid and the Sewers. But I suppose you had build housing for Slaves and Scottish Unionists somewhere.

Check you getting your wee pants in a twist. Scottish people didn't invent nearly as much as you think.

17 hours ago, IronJambo said:

This is probably the daftest thing about Scottish banks printing notes. "Let's let all and sundry print money and then we can have no legal standing bank notes at all". Clever. 

23 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Well yes, that's the very reason. In turn, there's no reason whatsoever to give out a Scottish note in England. You'll get less at a currency exchange with Scottish notes and you may get someone in England, Wales, and the channel Islands etc that don't want a note that is unfamiliar and has no legal standing. 

Out of interest, what 'legal standing' are you referring to and why do you think it's so important? 

If you mean legal tender status then this has very little impact on real life. It's a technical term for settling debts in a way that can't be disputed. It has nothing to do with the acceptance of notes in shops. Shops are perfectly entitled to refuse to accept BoE notes, even I'm England. Indeed many places now only accept card. See https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender

21 minutes ago, dtgj said:

Out of interest, what 'legal standing' are you referring to and why do you think it's so important? 

If you mean legal tender status then this has very little impact on real life. It's a technical term for settling debts in a way that can't be disputed. It has nothing to do with the acceptance of notes in shops. Shops are perfectly entitled to refuse to accept BoE notes, even I'm England. Indeed many places now only accept card. See https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender

Despite how trivial it is and how meaningless it is in every day life isn't it insane that Scotland has put itself in a position where this can't be done with banknotes. The real implications being that Scottish "money" is worth less to a trader than it's fully legitimate counterpart. It's just a stupid charade that can only ever have potential to cause inconvenience. Pointless and self defeating.

Space Mackerel
39 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Despite how trivial it is and how meaningless it is in every day life isn't it insane that Scotland has put itself in a position where this can't be done with banknotes. The real implications being that Scottish "money" is worth less to a trader than it's fully legitimate counterpart. It's just a stupid charade that can only ever have potential to cause inconvenience. Pointless and self defeating.

Our survey SAYS!!! 

X X X

98FBA925-64EE-4FA0-AE71-2DBD2912C815.jpeg

1FADFE89-453A-4691-B52C-AFBA8F757DF9.png

28BB0EAD-28E8-46A6-B3E9-9D9E33C469E0.png

1 hour ago, Space Mackerel said:

Our survey SAYS!!! 

X X X

98FBA925-64EE-4FA0-AE71-2DBD2912C815.jpeg

1FADFE89-453A-4691-B52C-AFBA8F757DF9.png

28BB0EAD-28E8-46A6-B3E9-9D9E33C469E0.png

The top one is their buy price numnuts. To spell it out to you they want 0.924 Scottish pounds to give you a Euro. They only want 0.906 in real sterling for a Euro. 

Walter Payton
3 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Interestingly, it's not actually a situation that Scotland has put itself in- easy to understand why people think it's a Scottish/English thing, but it's actually to do with the age of the banks. There was a law passed in 1844 that prevented any new banks issuing their own notes (up until then, every bank had been entitled to do so). I believe it's only the BoS, RBoS and Clydesdale that have had continuous licences since before that date and are therefore the only UK banks allowed to do so- the last English bank issuing their own notes went under in 1921. There's 4 NI banks that can also issue Sterling. 

17 minutes ago, Bring on the Future said:

Interestingly, it's not actually a situation that Scotland has put itself in- easy to understand why people think it's a Scottish/English thing, but it's actually to do with the age of the banks. There was a law passed in 1844 that prevented any new banks issuing their own notes (up until then, every bank had been entitled to do so). I believe it's only the BoS, RBoS and Clydesdale that have had continuous licences since before that date and are therefore the only UK banks allowed to do so- the last English bank issuing their own notes went under in 1921. There's 4 NI banks that can also issue Sterling. 

Having permission doesn't mean it's sensible to stay in that position.

I think in the current day it is a Scottish/English thing. Whilst I think Scottish notes are daft I fully resent that the UK's Central Bank is called Bank of England. It's offensive to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. 

Psychedelicropcircle

Once told the RBS to **** off closed my accounts & joined NatWest, knew feck all until I opened a NatWest letter with the RBS logo on it 🤬😂

Samuel Camazzola
On 16/02/2020 at 09:11, IronJambo said:

With 3 different fives, tens, twenties and fifties, and RBS issuing hundred pound notes is it any wonder? I'll be honest, even I don't know what they look like and if they're meant to be paper or plastic.

Quite a daft question really. They can be accepted as a discretion in England but you're not supposed to hand them out. As in as change or from a bank. 

Clydesdale and BoS issue £100 notes. The BoS one features the Kessock Bridge as part of the bridge series which started several years ago. 

Polymer £20s to be introduced in coming weeks. 

Ulster Bank issue sterling notes too to add to any confusion some may have when handling these. 

27 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Clydesdale and BoS issue £100 notes. The BoS one features the Kessock Bridge as part of the bridge series which started several years ago. 

Polymer £20s to be introduced in coming weeks. 

Ulster Bank issue sterling notes too to add to any confusion some may have when handling these. 

I wouldn't know the kessock bridge if I fell off it 🤣

I accept them as payment as I do the NI notes as well. If they feel and look like money then I'm happy. 

Space Mackerel
58 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I accept them as payment as I do the NI notes as well. If they feel and look like money then I'm happy. 

Imagine not knowing where the Kessock Bridge is. :rofl:

Edited by Space Mackerel

12 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Imagine not knowing where the Kessock Bridge is. :rofl:

Can read and understand an currency exchange board though 😂 

The bridge is in kessock surely? Naw? Can't say I know or care what it looks like. Like a bridge maybe?

Space Mackerel
16 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Can read and understand an currency exchange board though 😂 

The bridge is in kessock surely? Naw? Can't say I know or care what it looks like. Like a bridge maybe?

Been to many away days up North?

Or even any at all? :) 

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

Not sure I believe you based on all your posting on this thread 😂 

2 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Been to many away days up North?

Or even any at all? :) 

Not since the 90's. We didn't have anywhere further North than Dundee to go back then though (sheepies aside). Brockville, Firhill, cowbowie, Broomfield, mcdiarmid, fester road.....  Used to go to pittodrie for most of our games in the early to mid noughties. Can't be arsed now. Don't think I'd go to a SPL game if I was paid, it's hard enough to sit through one on the telly.

If you want a bigger fan contest I'm sure you win. I'm not even running in the race but go you.

11 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Not sure I believe you based on all your posting on this thread 😂 

I might think it's stupid but that doesn't mean I'm going to act the ***** with those that have it in their wallet. I'm not going to be the inconvenience that they fear when they try to pay for something.

AlphonseCapone
9 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I might think it's stupid but that doesn't mean I'm going to act the ***** with those that have it in their wallet. I'm not going to be the inconvenience that they fear when they try to pay for something.

Fair enough but the bold is exactly why the legal tender stuff is nothing but a technical nonsense. 

1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Fair enough but the bold is exactly why the legal tender stuff is nothing but a technical nonsense. 

I agree, but it still exists. Whether just technically or not. It's not beneficial in any way. Some clown shouting at a Slovakian shop assistant in London that it's legal tender is just wrong, because 1) it isn't and 2) how the hell would the shop assistant know what it is?

On 16/02/2020 at 09:04, highlandjambo3 said:

RBS up here has a note posted on the machines inside the bank “English notes available”.  As the staff tend to buzz around the floor these days helping customers, I asked one of them if the RBS based in England had Scottish notes.......didn’t get an answer but, I did get a look like horns growing out of my head.

BoS has the very same thing inside the Musselburgh branch.

Space Mackerel
11 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Not since the 90's. We didn't have anywhere further North than Dundee to go back then though (sheepies aside). Brockville, Firhill, cowbowie, Broomfield, mcdiarmid, fester road.....  Used to go to pittodrie for most of our games in the early to mid noughties. Can't be arsed now. Don't think I'd go to a SPL game if I was paid, it's hard enough to sit through one on the telly.

If you want a bigger fan contest I'm sure you win. I'm not even running in the race but go you.

The Keswick Bridge was built well before the 90’s. :)

Anyway, here’s a TRILLION Scotch blabs, on record. 

On 16/02/2020 at 09:04, highlandjambo3 said:

RBS up here has a note posted on the machines inside the bank “English notes available”.  As the staff tend to buzz around the floor these days helping customers, I asked one of them if the RBS based in England had Scottish notes.......didn’t get an answer but, I did get a look like horns growing out of my head.

It would make sense not to have Scottish notes in RBS branches in England as English notes are readily acceptable across both borders but not Scottish ones in England.  English banks will accept Scottish notes paid into bank accounts.  It would only really be a problem for cash only tax dodging business trying to pay the most minimal amount of money through their accounts.

While the RBS ATMs in Scotland are designated RBS and BoE notes, the counter machines give out any UK bank notes nowadays.

When I started in RBS you were only ever allowed to hand out RBS or English notes.  It was a task every day the 'clean' at each denomination notes between

Super clean RBS 5s and 10s, then 10-20 to go into ATM

Clean RBS all to hand out at counter

RBS dirty to return

BoE clean (to hand out) or dirty to send back

BoS @ each denomination to be delivered by security firm to nearest BoS branch two or three times a week

Clydesdale as above.

Other banks

If I'd joined my local branch a year earlier there was no security firm runs and I'd have been one of the two members of staff that would have had to deliver the notes to BoS and Clydesdale by walking up the main street with 10s of thousands in readies in a briefcase handcuffed to my wrist.

That said it wasn't unknown for head cashiers to occasionally get cash orders wrong and the odd time staff still need to do a cash swap run.  Main culprit CB.

But that was all along time ago.  Many a cashless branch nowadays, if you can find or even need one.

3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

It would make sense not to have Scottish notes in RBS branches in England as English notes are readily acceptable across both borders but not Scottish ones in England.  English banks will accept Scottish notes paid into bank accounts.  It would only really be a problem for cash only tax dodging business trying to pay the most minimal amount of money through their accounts.

While the RBS ATMs in Scotland are designated RBS and BoE notes, the counter machines give out any UK bank notes nowadays.

When I started in RBS you were only ever allowed to hand out RBS or English notes.  It was a task every day the 'clean' at each denomination notes between

Super clean RBS 5s and 10s, then 10-20 to go into ATM

Clean RBS all to hand out at counter

RBS dirty to return

BoE clean (to hand out) or dirty to send back

BoS @ each denomination to be delivered by security firm to nearest BoS branch two or three times a week

Clydesdale as above.

Other banks

If I'd joined my local branch a year earlier there was no security firm runs and I'd have been one of the two members of staff that would have had to deliver the notes to BoS and Clydesdale by walking up the main street with 10s of thousands in readies in a briefcase handcuffed to my wrist.

That said it wasn't unknown for head cashiers to occasionally get cash orders wrong and the odd time staff still need to do a cash swap run.  Main culprit CB.

But that was all along time ago.  Many a cashless branch nowadays, if you can find or even need one.

I remember the note exchanges in Dalkeith. Two of us would walk along the High Street, one carrying a brown case stuffed with several thousand pounds of other banks notes, to the bank where the exchange was to take place. Those were the days. 😀

4 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

The Keswick Bridge was built well before the 90’s. :)

Anyway, here’s a TRILLION Scotch blabs, on record. 

What you going on about a bridge for?

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I remember the note exchanges in Dalkeith. Two of us would walk along the High Street, one carrying a brown case stuffed with several thousand pounds of other banks notes, to the bank where the exchange was to take place. Those were the days. 😀

Taking a real chance doing that in Dalkeith.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

No handcuffs?

Doubt it would be safer in Dalkeith compared to Castle Douglas.

Never at stage of 100s of thousands but high tens occassionally.

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

No handcuffs?

Doubt it would be safer in Dalkeith compared to Castle Douglas.

Never at stage of 100s of thousands but high tens occassionally.

Nope, no handcuffs. This was mid 70s. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Nope, no handcuffs. This was mid 70s. 

Mid to late 80s for me.

How the hell some of that stuff never got out...

Youngest male and male branch supervisor doing same trips, same time every week.

And no radges thought anything of it.

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

Mid to late 80s for me.

How the hell some of that stuff never got out...

Youngest male and male branch supervisor doing same trips, same time every week.

And no radges thought anything of it.

I was 18 and went with a guy who was late 50s. The girls weren't allowed to do it though. 😃

Space Mackerel
5 hours ago, IronJambo said:

What you going on about a bridge for?

I think the bridge chat is deed, and, any chat of you being a PHM too. :)

Anyway, I'm sure these "financial assets worth North of a Trillion" will be handy. Irrespective if you think Scottish money is "daft."

7 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I think the bridge chat is deed, and, any chat of you being a PHM too. :)

Anyway, I'm sure these "financial assets worth North of a Trillion" will be handy. Irrespective if you think Scottish money is "daft."

I quite like the bridge. Who built it? 

On 17/02/2020 at 13:10, IronJambo said:

The top one is their buy price numnuts. To spell it out to you they want 0.924 Scottish pounds to give you a Euro. They only want 0.906 in real sterling for a Euro. 

Its pointless trying to reason with separatists. They're not bothered if we were much poorer off post separation as its all about breaking apart the extremely successful British Union and being ruled over by the failing European Union instead.  They couldnt care less. 

Anyway back on track. I've had shares in RBS for many years now and despite the not insignificant losses Ive endured I'm confident a slow but sure recovery will take place within this decade. Their share price is still way too low for a bank of their size and stature. We need the left to be sidelined both here in Britain and across the pond for at least a decade or more which is pretty much likely given that they're in dissaray and totally unelectable. It'd be to all of our benefit too if extremist parties like the snp seen their share of votes decline and power sharing was the norm at Holyrood. 

20 minutes ago, Marsh said:

Never managed to buy Gogarburn Golf Club - good!

Sorry Marsh, can't resist. RBS has enough stubborn mud it can't shift.