Jimmy Greaves at 80.

Angel eyes

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Thought he was dead. Genuinely pleasantly surprised the old dick isn’t. 

Had a serious stroke year or so ago his quality of life is severely restricted but he’s still on the go. Tottenham are having a tribute before their champions league game on Tuesday.

13 minutes ago, RobNox said:

In his autobiography he stated that the best player he ever played with was Dave MacKay

The same Dave MacKay that had the honour of being compared to Scott Brown on Sportsound earlier in the week? 😂

A huge part of my football Saturday in the 1980’s. Happy Birthday, Greavsie!

Nelly Terraces

Random/Boring Story KLAXON!!🔊

While on holiday there in 1999, I met Jimmy Greaves in the street in San Francisco & we had a short chat about our respective trips & about football. Great guy!

Been dining out on that one ever since!:D

1 hour ago, RobNox said:

In his autobiography he stated that the best player he ever played with was Dave MacKay

Terry Venables and Alan Mullery said the same. And I expect plenty of other English players of the sixties and early seventies would said the same or that he was the best they played against. 

59 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Had a serious stroke year or so ago his quality of life is severely restricted but he’s still on the go. Tottenham are having a tribute before their champions league game on Tuesday.

Good for them. Hope he has a decent standard of life. Think it was maybe his stroke that made me think he had kicked it.

38 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Random/Boring Story KLAXON!!🔊

While on holiday there in 1999, I met Jimmy Greaves in the street in San Francisco & we had a short chat about our respective trips & about football. Great guy!

Been dining out on that one ever since! :biggrin:

And why not, Nelly?  :thumbsup: 

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Used to take the p1ss out of Scottish goalkeepers........!

Who didn’t, plenty easy targets

The Greaves v Cruickshank show in a pre season game against Tottenham on a glorious day is one of my best Hearts memories.  It finished 1-1 but keeping them to a single goal required a truly world class performance from our Jim.

He thwarted Greaves in particular again and again.

When I think of that I'm amazed he didn't go down south for a huge fee.  Maybe it was his height that put prospects off.

2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

The same Dave MacKay that had the honour of being compared to Scott Brown on Sportsound earlier in the week? 😂

FFS

2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Someone must be at the wind up surely????? 

32 minutes ago, Aaron78 said:

Someone must be at the wind up surely????? 

I never heard it, but I’m sure I read on the Sportsound thread on here that Broonaldo was compared to MacKay and Billy Bremner early this week! 😳

Edited by Shaggy2

15 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

I never heard it, but I’m sure I read on the Sportsound thread on here that Broonaldo was compared to MacKay and Billy Bremner early this week! 😳

I know I shouldn't be surprised but you would hope that national media understood the history of our great game. Its not even like its up for discussion. Dave 

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Thought he was dead. Genuinely pleasantly surprised the old dick isn’t. 

Still alive but dick he is.

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

You loony!

:wink: 

You wonder if he’d played in that WC final in 1966 how different things might have been. Would they still have won it? I never saw him play but my Dad reckons he was the absolute dogs 

4 hours ago, Section Q said:

He refused to believe that Henry Smith was Scottish after a wonder performance at Parkhead in late 1983 (1-1 draw). 

The following week on S&G Henry, on the pitch at Tynie, showed his birth certificate to the camera and informed Greavsie that his teammates had a wee message for him. Cue Robbo, Jimmy B, Gary Mackay etc. turning around and doing a giruy gesture with one arm under the other. 

Wouldn't be allowed these days, I suspect. 

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

So did I. :)

Check You Tube out GT. Some quality uploads of it (full episodes). Was watching some with a few beers just recently. When you are an emotional soppy nostalgic ******* like me it gets you going. They have random episodes from random dates and it is great to watch the coverage from games at that time. I may also add that the coverage of Scottish football was immense and not just gratuitous like it all is now.

5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

So did I. :)

I mind he filmed The Saint when Scotland fecked up against Uruguay 86. And the time Cloughie was pissed and trying to belittle Greavsie. The Saint was raging but Greavsie just made a relax, I've got this, hand gesture.

Some striker!

Saint and Greavsie used to be my pre match fix in the 80s as a teenage kid before heading off to Tynie on a Saturday. 

Didn’t know much about him at that moment tbh but you live and learn as you get older. Since, I’ve learned and seen alot and the man was truly a fantastic football player.

In some ways maybe not lauded enough when pundits and players reminisce on various programmes over the year about former greats. 

I have a book somewhere in the house about the 100 best British players ever and Greaves commented on Dave Mackay’s entry. Basically calling him the best midfielder he’d ever played beside.  

8 hours ago, Aaron78 said:

I know I shouldn't be surprised but you would hope that national media understood the history of our great game. Its not even like its up for discussion. Dave 

They don't. It's very rare for him to make any greatest Scottish 11's.

Didn't play for one of 'them'.

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Check You Tube out GT. Some quality uploads of it (full episodes). Was watching some with a few beers just recently. When you are an emotional soppy nostalgic ******* like me it gets you going. They have random episodes from random dates and it is great to watch the coverage from games at that time. I may also add that the coverage of Scottish football was immense and not just gratuitous like it all is now.

I think I'd probably cry, tbh. :(

11 hours ago, Section Q said:

Was it not Alan Rough who was the Scotland keeper at the time? or was it Leighton?

The Real Maroonblood
12 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

The first sentence.

:rofl:

Always remember this line....

Ian St John......"ha-ha-ha! Aw Greavsie, you kill me!"

Jimmy Greaves...""yeh, well someone should, Saint!"

Always used to watch this back in the day, you knew it was Tynecastle day when Saint & Greavsie was on.

For a programme that was only on for half an hour or so they did cover Scottish football quite well as well.

SectionDJambo
10 hours ago, Aaron78 said:

I think, from the messages at the time during the week, that it was Chick Young and some other clown. Says it all, really.

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Always remember this line....

Ian St John......"ha-ha-ha! Aw Greavsie, you kill me!"

Jimmy Greaves...""yeh, well someone should, Saint!"

Always used to watch this back in the day, you knew it was Tynecastle day when Saint & Greavsie was on.

For a programme that was only on for half an hour or so they did cover Scottish football quite well as well.

The Saint and Greavsie show was a must not miss in it's day. Jimmy was a fabulous goal scorer and a great man by all accounts.

11 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Old School.

Also loved Saint and Greavsie.

Yes, one of the best football shows....

A great player and good laugh..

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Was it not Alan Rough who was the Scotland keeper at the time? or was it Leighton?

Poor Roughie...  So often the butt of jokes, not surprised if Greavsie commented......   :)

17 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Great when he played for West Ham. Shite everywhere else 😀

Must have changed his ideas then didn’t want to go to West Ham but Nicholson wanted Martin Peters and Greaves was part of the deal though Greaves Wasn’t for it but clubs had more power than players then. Clough wanted him at Derby County but he didn’t want to leave London so West Ham was better than nothing though regretted it.

18 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

The Greaves v Cruickshank show in a pre season game against Tottenham on a glorious day is one of my best Hearts memories.  It finished 1-1 but keeping them to a single goal required a truly world class performance from our Jim.

He thwarted Greaves in particular again and again.

When I think of that I'm amazed he didn't go down south for a huge fee.  Maybe it was his height that put prospects off.

In that game I remember Greaves doing a flying scissors kick from around the six yard line, he hit it beautifully, Cruikie in a pure reactions save pushed it over the cossbar. It drew a full minutes applause from the faithful.

Jim Cruickshank had a superb save from Greavsie in a pre season friendly when Jimmy played for Tottenham.  Great player and great patter on the Saint and Greavsie show which shows up the brain dead present day lot for what they are.