If Levein still in charge

Cynic

Personally I miss jake mulraney. Him and wighton could be tearing it up the now. We wouldn't be in a worse position with them anyway. 

Edited by Mauricio Pinilla

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• GinRummy

• Mr Elwood P

• Jambo-Fox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot is being made about Stendel and the last 3 games particularly. For me, a lot of the doubt has stemmed from the Kilmarnock game.

If you actually reversed the Kilmarnock and Rangers results, I don't doubt for a second people would be as anxious.

2 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

good point

well put it this way - we probably couldn't be any worse... plus more of a chance he would have fought to get Craig Gordon in earlier too

Please explain how we would have done that? given the club were not prepared to part with him?

Abduction maybe?

MarkDevriesScores4
3 minutes ago, Cynic said:

Where did I moan specifically?

"i stated this whole discussion is pointless and actually pretty negative."

There?

If you're not interested in a topic don't read it.

Fair enough. I’ll leave you reminisce about levein, Lazlo, Cathro etc. 

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Levein was sacked almost at the exact same time that the likes of Washington, Walker, Naismith, Halkett and Souttar all started to return from injury. It would have been nice to see this squad fully fit under Levein to see if we could replicate the form that saw us as league leaders last October. 

Most of those players were available for the Ross County match at home.  That 0-0 game where 6-0 wouldn't have flattered Ross County.  Don't think we had a shot on target that day. 

Levein should never be welcomed back to Tynecastle ever again after he leaves in the summer.  

Dusk_Till_Dawn

By my measurements, Stendel needs to win on Saturday to beat Levein's record over his 11 matches ....

True but Levein was in charge for years and led a significant decline over many months. Suggesting that Stendel’s poor record makes a case for Levein is like saying the coronavirus is a reason to bring back SARS.

48 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

If Levein was still in charge I’d very much doubt I’d bother with many games. His football made me angry, sad and I hated it. He was taking us down in my mind and damn near killing the club with his lottery winning contracts he threw about to jokers who couldn’t play football.

if we do go down, then I’ll still be glad that man is not in charge and hopefully out the club altogether (as Ann said)

This, all day long.

38 minutes ago, kila said:

And if he does will you finally admit Levein is a shitebag and no longer the love of your life?

Its good your at least giving him Valentines Day😍

8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

A lot is being made about Stendel and the last 3 games particularly. For me, a lot of the doubt has stemmed from the Kilmarnock game.

If you actually reversed the Kilmarnock and Rangers results, I don't doubt for a second people would be as anxious.

Are you kidding? If you reversed those two games, Stendel would have had no league wins from his first 8 game. We'd still be bottom of the league. Our points per game would still have been worse than under either Levein or McPhee this season. You wouldn't have been anxious with 1 win and 6 points from 10 league games, sitting bottom of the league in mid-February, and with just 12 games to go, just because the 2-1 win against Rangers was two games ago not four? The excuses being made for Stendel are getting to the point they are worse than under Levein. It just looks bad because of the order of the games? No, his results are a total horror show, whatever way you choose to dress them up.

And while some of the football has undoubtedly been more entertaining than under Levein, some of it has still been horrible. The home game to St Johnstone, the away game to Hamilton, the away game to Ross County, the away game to Falkirk, and the Celtic game last night have all been awful performances, every bit as devoid of entertainment as Levein teams used to serve up.

Perhaps the whole scenario is being played out in a parallel universe? Failing that it's all conjecture and speculation.

What I do know though is that I'm looking forward to games again and enjoying watching them. Points wise I firmly believe that a change between the sticks would have impacted our points tally positively in two of the last three games.

19 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

True but Levein was in charge for years and led a significant decline over many months. Suggesting that Stendel’s poor record makes a case for Levein is like saying the coronavirus is a reason to bring back SARS.

As far as I’m concerned, the only time Levein had a fully fit squad - that he had assembled, we were top of the Premiership and smashed our League Cup group to bits. I’d like to have seen him with all the current players fit and the addition of Boyce. 

32 minutes ago, oi oi said:

Current results are no better than under Levein but the football is far more entertaining now and we have more fans behind the manager. Had we kept the previous regime the toxicity around the place would be poisonous.

As close to bang on as you'll get. Close thread. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

As far as I’m concerned, the only time Levein had a fully fit squad - that he had assembled, we were top of the Premiership and smashed our League Cup group to bits. I’d like to have seen him with all the current players fit and the addition of Boyce. 

He’d have probably played Boyce as an extra midfielder, or not at all.

I’m massively underwhelmed by result under Stendel but he at least shows some ambition with his tactics. Nonetheless, this season has been utter wank.

Levein got us into this mess.  If he was manager any longer the destruction would reap deeper than just now which is unimaginable.  He was a poison on our club and it'll take a while for us to recover.

8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That League Cup group stage that saw us need a last minute equaliser against Raith and almost kicked out the competition for fielding an ineligible player, aye?

🤣

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
3 hours ago, Victor Mancini said:

We’d have set up for damage limitation against rangers, and probably have Wighton and McLean up top so for me the answer is no.

levein couldn’t buy a win in the past calendar year. 

We will win our next 2 games and move forward 

I hope you're right. 

Personally and it's only an opinion I don't think there is any chance we would have been relegated with Levein in charge . 

He would have played it safe and made sure we finished above Hamilton and a couple of others . 

1 minute ago, ramrod said:

Personally and it's only an opinion I don't think there is any chance we would have been relegated with Levein in charge . 

He would have played it safe and made sure we finished above Hamilton and a couple of others . 

Why didn’t he play it safe when he won only one league game this season? Could have kept him in a job after all. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Why didn’t he play it safe when he won only one league game this season? Could have kept him in a job after all. 

I think he was probably playing to safe at the wrong time  tbh . 

As it stands we need something in between Levein and Stendel . 

Daniel is far to gung-ho atm

Hes probably asking players to do things they aren't capable of  add to that  he needs to ditch the keeper and zonal marking. 

Levein would have had the nous to keep us up imo . Stendel could go either way unless he tightens it up at the back . 

1 minute ago, ramrod said:

I think he was probably playing to safe at the wrong time  tbh . 

As it stands we need something in between Levein and Stendel . 

Daniel is far to gung-ho atm

Hes probably asking players to do things they aren't capable of  add to that  he needs to ditch the keeper and zonal marking. 

Levein would have had the nous to keep us up imo . Stendel could go either way unless he tightens it up at the back . 

Agree with most of that bar levein keeping us up. 

48 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

That League Cup group stage that saw us need a last minute equaliser against Raith and almost kicked out the competition for fielding an ineligible player, aye?

🤣

The guy does nothing but defend Levein, best ignored. 

You can't predict results under Levein, we may have been better, we may not. Sliding doors. 

Best we leave his tenure in the past and concentrate on supporting the team through one of the biggest weeks we've had in recent years. 

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

8 points from 11 games, 10 in 15 games since. 

I think we may have been marginally better off

1. Shouldn't have started the season
  2. Too slow getting the new manager, plunged in during a heavy run of fixtures
  3. Choice of manager, on a learning curve, doesn't know the league and its players

These are the factors.

We cant even blame injury any longer, results are arguably just as poor now with a better set of resources

We have had injuries to Hickey, Smith, Sibbick , Souttar and Avdijaj all since the winter break. Still plenty players getting injured and missing several matches. Our players never seem to only miss one game. They are always out for longer. 

Jambo diehard

I'm just glad Leveins away, it's guesswork to try and think what might have been? I'm now all about the next 4-5 games, praying for at least two wins. Hamilton and St Mirren especially, the Hibs game will be a bonus with a win but would take a draw with our current form

pettigrewsstylist

Building a squad, this poor and with so little balls, over so many windows, with so many warnings, is a really, really unusual achievment.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, rick witter said:

We have had injuries to Hickey, Smith, Sibbick , Souttar and Avdijaj all since the winter break. Still plenty players getting injured and missing several matches. Our players never seem to only miss one game. They are always out for longer. 

Souttar was rested I'm sure on Saturday. 

Certainly Smith and Hickey are a miss, Hamilton have major problems,  I don't think it's an excuse for Stendel 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Souttar was rested I'm sure on Saturday. 

Certainly Smith and Hickey are a miss, Hamilton have major problems,  I don't think it's an excuse for Stendel 

Fair enough re Souttar. 👍🏻
Smith and Hickey we certainly have missed. I agree it’s no excuse the same as it was not an excuse for Levein. Stendel has to find a way to win with the players that are fit. He needs to stop tinkering and get a settled team on the park. 

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

🤣

No, the home run of winning consecutive games 5-0, 5-0 and then 4-2 ...

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Killie game was the bad one in many ways 2-3 rubbed it in with chances at end also" let's hope it's not going to be too costly .......🤞🇱🇻🇱🇻

28 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

So we’d have been better of with Levein and Berra then? Is that where we are now? 
This place man!

Arent they still both available?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Fair enough re Souttar. 👍🏻
Smith and Hickey we certainly have missed. I agree it’s no excuse the same as it was not an excuse for Levein. Stendel has to find a way to win with the players that are fit. He needs to stop tinkering and get a settled team on the park. 

Settled is the key word. Erratic for the situation we find ourselves in 

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:rofl:

This all day long

4 hours ago, kila said:

And we're entitled to tell you what we think of said opinion

😂

4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

You are. Still the biggest laughing stock, surpassing the team though, a notable achievement by anyone's standards

😂 superbly put...

sign big G again man , hes better than Boyce

1 minute ago, Redhelen said:

Arent they still both available?

Berra’s away on Loan thank **** but Levein is hanging about like a fart in a spacesuit 

It's a highly interesting question and impossible to prove either way.    Not honestly anyway.    Anyone attempting to state a proven answer is doing so dishonestly.    Either willfully or otherwise.

I think there is a real possibility that Levein remaining would have resulted in a better situation than we have.     But the crucial nuance to consider in the way this transpired is that I believe it is virtually certain that our current manager was not recruited with our current plight in mind.     I believe that there was an expectation that we would have been operating in a different position in the league table.     

Levein was left a little too long.    MacPhee didn't achieve enough.   MacPhee was left too long while the transition took place.    Stendel wasn't able to hit the ground running.    Throughout this,   the squad was culpable in seeming to neglect their duty.     

A complex set of circumstances and variables.    If you think you know all the answers then you're deluded or simply at it.

28 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No, the home run of winning consecutive games 5-0, 5-0 and then 4-2 ...

Oooh against the likes of Cowdenbeath and Cove Rangers. Hold me back! 

Mind you, might stand us in good stead for next season given the mess your cherished idol left us in.

🙄

15 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

but Levein is hanging about like a fart in a spacesuit 

Exactly...and until he is away completely there will always be an element of mistrust amongst the support.

The fact we are bottom is the fault of Craig Levein and Ann Budge, if we go down it's their fault and if we stay up then Stendel will have done very well.

The rot had set in waaay before Levein was axed, it was well past alarm bells or big flashing warning signs, the longer he stayed the harder it would then be to turn this season around.

Aw aye, and Levein is actually still at the club :rofl:

Edited by RudiHMFC

7 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Oooh against the likes of Cowdenbeath and Cove Rangers. Hold me back! 

Mind you, might stand us in good stead for next season given the mess your cherished idol left us in.

🙄

Don’t recall us beating Cove Rangers 5-0?

So you're saying we should've let him stay on because 18 months ago we had a 6 week purple patch? 

Depending on the specific surrounding circumstances of Stendel's management,   if we go down then he will also be partly to blame.    He was quite rightly given time,  support and goodwill,   as well as the recognition that he was handed a hard gig.     But if his choice of selections or his choice of tactics are highly likely to have contributed to a lack of points,    then he takes some blame for that.     

pettigrewsstylist
4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

So you're saying we should've let him stay on because 18 months ago we had a 6 week purple patch? 

Anyone who attended the games during said purple patch knows that several of them could easily have been losses.

4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I just think we sacked him at the exact wrong moment and we’ve appointed Stendel at the exact wrong time.

22 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Don’t recall us beating Cove Rangers 5-0?

Correct.  We only beat the Highland League side 2-1.  According to you we smashed them to bits though.

1 minute ago, Randy Marsh said:

Correct.  We only beat the Highland League side 2-1.  According to you we smashed them to bits though.

Can you read?

Nicholas Brody
20 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I just think we sacked him at the exact wrong moment and we’ve appointed Stendel at the exact wrong time.

You're right. He should have been sacked before a ball was kicked this season.

ScandinavianJambo
5 hours ago, Victor Mancini said:

We’d have set up for damage limitation against rangers, and probably have Wighton and McLean up top so for me the answer is no.

levein couldn’t buy a win in the past calendar year. 

We will win our next 2 games and move forward 

The thought if them up front makes me shudder 😳

5 hours ago, Cynic said:

Would we be in a worse position if Levein still in charge? Net effect of Stendel bottom of the league. Not defending Levein just asking how had Stendel improved us? 

Takes time to change to zonal Marking and pressing style . I admire his bravery in doing this and reckon it will work in time. 
I would rather stick pins in my eyeballs than watch the team under levein.