Still dreaming whilst awake.

Vlad Magic

Does anyone here have experience of this phenomenon? Happens to me once or twice a year and it’s pretty unnerving.

Happened last night. The actual recollection of the dream isn’t that important. It’s what happens after I wake that’s pretty weird as I am awake but the thought processes attributed to the dream continue.

Last night I dreamt that I sabotaged a hole on a golf course when I thought no one was looking. I dream about golf a fair bit and documented this on other “dream” threads. This one however was very different and resulted in me waking up convinced I was in massive trouble for damaging the cup.

Back to the dream.

There is a big tournament on with all the big names playing. For some reason I decided to damage the cup on one hole and then replaced the pin resulting in it sticking out at a funny angle.

I then legged it to meet up with my dad to exit the course. I was collared from behind and questioned about what I had done resulting in a sticker being placed on my head marking me as the culprit!

The dream progressed for a fair bit to the car park where I was unable to reverse the car out from its parking spot. I think this was me trying to make my escape without punishment.

I woke up soon after this convinced I was in massive trouble. Honestly thought my phone was about to ring with authorities chasing me for what I had done.

I think I was still dreaming for a good 20 minutes after I woke up and had to talk sense to myself that it was impossible to have done what I dreamt.

This happened last year with a similar story. Waking up having dreamt I have done something and convinced I am culpable for it.

Its really quite unnerving during those 20 minutes because I am convinced I am still dreaming although my eyes are open and out of “sleep”.

Has anyone experienced the above and know anything about it?

Just speculating, but the part of your brain that is responsible for logic and rationality, the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, switches off during dreaming. It's possible that occasionally when you wake up that part of your brain is taking a little while to activate or get more up to speed, so you're able to continue to entertain the delusional, impossible stuff you dreamt about and it takes some mental effort for you to get yourself going to the point where you're making proper sense of things again.

6 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Just speculating, but the part of your brain that is responsible for logic and rationality, the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, switches off during dreaming. It's possible that occasionally when you wake up that part of your brain is taking a little while to activate or get more up to speed, so you're able to continue to entertain the delusional, impossible stuff you dreamt about and it takes some mental effort for you to get yourself going to the point where you're making proper sense of things again.

That makes perfect sense. I literally had to go through the irrationality of the dream and prove to myself that it was impossible.

Ive had vivid dreams before fairly regularly but wake up think to myself “wow that was a crazy dream” but able to go straight on with my day. Put kettle on, let dog out etc.

The ones described above are very different and require effort to stabilise rationality before I can go about my day.

19 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

That makes perfect sense. I literally had to go through the irrationality of the dream and prove to myself that it was impossible.

Ive had vivid dreams before fairly regularly but wake up think to myself “wow that was a crazy dream” but able to go straight on with my day. Put kettle on, let dog out etc.

The ones described above are very different and require effort to stabilise rationality before I can go about my day.

Yeah, the brain is a funny thing. I have had sleep paralysis before--I dreamt a bear was sitting on my chest, all of its weight pressing down, and it was getting ready to kill and eat me. My brain finally released from that after 30 or 45 seconds, and the pressure went away, and I realised it was because I was conscious, but most of my body was still paralysed like in sleep so I couldn't breathe easily that it felt like something was crushing my lungs--and the bear was the "dream" my brain had come up with to "explain" that sensation.

Biology, especially when it involves the brain, is never neat and tidy! :lol:

37 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Reading this again and it’s making more and more sense.

When I wake up I literally open my eyes and get straight up. I’m not one of those people that doze for a few minutes before getting up.

I literally wake up, open eyes and jump out of bed. I think what you said above makes perfect sense. Because of how I exit sleep and get straight out of bed, occasionally that part of my brain lags behind resulting in this phenomenon. 

Than you for explaining. 👍👍

I often suffer sleep paralysis which basically results in me waking up but frozen in bed. I then suffer all sorts of delusions, the worst being I see the devil sitting on a shelf above my cupboard. 

Takes a while to come out of it and I have to stay awake a good while before I come to the conclusion it was just another one of those episode. 

Might be similar to that what is happening with you. 

12 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I often suffer sleep paralysis which basically results in me waking up but frozen in bed. I then suffer all sorts of delusions, the worst being I see the devil sitting on a shelf above my cupboard. 

Takes a while to come out of it and I have to stay awake a good while before I come to the conclusion it was just another one of those episode. 

Ive read a good few posts on here describing sleep paralysis and what I experience is not that although there are similarities.

The “convincing yourself” part relates exactly to what I have to do however the convincing relates directly to the previous dream and not some sort of hallucination experience whilst being awake. In your case an apparition on the cupboard.

To add also. As mentioned in previous post I literally wake up and get straight out of bed. No paralysis in any way👍

Edited by Vlad Magic

1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

To add also. As mentioned in previous post I literally wake up and get straight out of bed. No paralysis in any way👍

Yeah. Different parts of the brain involved with the distinct experiences, but maybe related phenomena with depending on the person, different ones "coming online", if you like, in a different order and at a different rate.

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Yeah. Different parts of the brain involved with the distinct experiences, but maybe related phenomena with depending on the person, different ones "coming online", if you like, in a different order and at a different rate.

I think you are absolutely correct Justin.

In your opinion if I make an effort to change the way I exit sleep and “start” my day, do you think it’s possible to stop this happening?

Its not a big deal if I can’t as I know I can manage the few episodes that happen.

Would taking my time to fully awaken or perhaps even attempt to “doze” for a few minutes prevent this happening?

Just now, Vlad Magic said:

I think you are absolutely correct Justin.

In your opinion if I make an effort to change the way I exit sleep and “start” my day, do you think it’s possible to stop this happening?

Its not a big deal if I can’t as I know I can manage the few episodes that happen.

Would taking my time to fully awaken or perhaps even attempt to “doze” for a few minutes prevent this happening?

I honestly don't know and don't have the training to give you a sensible answer even if I'd done a lot more layman's research than I have. It couldn't hurt I guess, though because as you say it probably only happens once or twice a year you might get bored of hanging out or dozing in bed all those months where nothing happens :lol:

Although I will say in my experience that "dozing" sometimes causes my dreams to resume, so at least for me, I don't think that particular method would work--but everyone's brain is different of course!

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

I honestly don't know and don't have the training to give you a sensible answer even if I'd done a lot more layman's research than I have. It couldn't hurt I guess, though because as you say it probably only happens once or twice a year you might get bored of hanging out or dozing in bed all those months where nothing happens :lol:

Although I will say in my experience that "dozing" sometimes causes my dreams to resume, so at least for me, I don't think that particular method would work--but everyone's brain is different of course!

Again very sensible and appreciated 👍

Funny thing is, now, a few hours later I can think back and the whole episode seems completely illogical and impossible?

However at the time it’s very real and actually quite scary.

The brain really is a mysterious organ.

Again very sensible and appreciated 👍

:thumbsup:

Funny thing is, now, a few hours later I can think back and the whole episode seems completely illogical and impossible?

However at the time it’s very real and actually quite scary.

The brain really is a mysterious organ.

Haha yeah. Our dreams can be so outlandish because of that logical centre of the brain (the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex), being switched off during. Then when you wake up, it means nothing is checking your emotional centre (the amygdala) so it can freely up the adrenaline/fight or flight response and get you into a panic.

I have no doubt that the most creative fantasy authors and the like are able to minimise the effects of logic centre, at least to a degree, when they are imagining things to write about.

I dreamt very recently I was locked in a shop after closing with the sales assistant who looked identical to Monica Bellucci.

The noise from the new houses being built near me woke me up before the good part was just about to begin......I think I genuinely had tears in my eyes.

:sob:

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Either that or you actually did do all that in an alternative universe or an alternative timeline. ;) In another world, there are some very angry golfers after you!!!

6 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I dreamt very recently I was locked in a shop after closing with the sales assistant who looked identical to Monica Bellucci.

The noise from the new houses being built near me woke me up before the good part was just about to begin......I think I genuinely had tears in my eyes.

:sob:

Can we swap dreams please?

millerjames398

Night terrors, i used to get then a lot, terrifying, had witches on broomsticks flyin at me cackling away, and always a dark presence in the room, cant scream shout or move, thank **** ive not had one in a long time.

millerjames398
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Thats what i used to get, absolutely terrifying,  completely paralyzed to the bed🤯😂

Салатные палочки

I suffered from sleep paralysis when I was staying in a flat with my mate a few years ago.  I hadn't suffered from it before and I haven't experienced it since moving out.  Now I in no way believe in ghosts or paranormal activity but why did it only happen in that flat?  

it usually consisted of me falling asleep and having a mental dream.  One of the times there was a bunch of people having a party in my room, with me still lying in bed watching them.  They then all left and I heard the front door closing, which woke me up (or so I thought).  I was aware of everything around me and it all being as it should be, nothing distorted as you would imagine it would be in a dream. I could feel the covers on me and the cold air but I could hear footsteps coming towards my room and the door opening and some 8 foot creature coming into the room.  No idea what it was because it had a hood on but all I could see was it's green eyes glowing.  I was honestly absolutely sh*ting myself and tried to move but was stuck to the bed.  It took a good 10/15 seconds to get out of it and another minute or so to come round.  I laughed after it but at the time it was frightening.  

There has also been occasions where I have woken up and about 20mins later I have questioned whether I was still dreaming as I have visions of what I am doing happening before and I need to shake myself out it.  It's a weird feeling and I usually end up with a weird tingling all over my body.  That's pretty unsettling when it happens.  

I dreamt once that the ceiling was falling down in our bedroom, and I had to try and hold it up. Whilst still semi-sleeping, I stood on the bed and tried to reach up to stop it, then I woke up, but still I thought the dream was real for a short while (probably less that half a minute). Was standing on the bed to try and reach the ceiling, and calling out to my wife to wake up and trying to explain to her what was happening and that she needed to help me out. Gradually I realised it was all a dream.

She wasn't amused initially, then couldn't stop laughing...

Similar things have happened on other nights too, although funnily enough I haven't had it happen in a few years now after it being a fairly regular thing.

12 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I suffered from sleep paralysis when I was staying in a flat with my mate a few years ago.  I hadn't suffered from it before and I haven't experienced it since moving out.  Now I in no way believe in ghosts or paranormal activity but why did it only happen in that flat?  

it usually consisted of me falling asleep and having a mental dream.  One of the times there was a bunch of people having a party in my room, with me still lying in bed watching them.  They then all left and I heard the front door closing, which woke me up (or so I thought).  I was aware of everything around me and it all being as it should be, nothing distorted as you would imagine it would be in a dream. I could feel the covers on me and the cold air but I could hear footsteps coming towards my room and the door opening and some 8 foot creature coming into the room.  No idea what it was because it had a hood on but all I could see was it's green eyes glowing.  I was honestly absolutely sh*ting myself and tried to move but was stuck to the bed.  It took a good 10/15 seconds to get out of it and another minute or so to come round.  I laughed after it but at the time it was frightening.  

There has also been occasions where I have woken up and about 20mins later I have questioned whether I was still dreaming as I have visions of what I am doing happening before and I need to shake myself out it.  It's a weird feeling and I usually end up with a weird tingling all over my body.  That's pretty unsettling when it happens.  

Always happens after a heavy drinking sesh for me. When I am off it it rarely happens. 

Think I would learn

5 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Does anyone here have experience of this phenomenon? Happens to me once or twice a year and it’s pretty unnerving.

Happened last night. The actual recollection of the dream isn’t that important. It’s what happens after I wake that’s pretty weird as I am awake but the thought processes attributed to the dream continue.

Last night I dreamt that I sabotaged a hole on a golf course when I thought no one was looking. I dream about golf a fair bit and documented this on other “dream” threads. This one however was very different and resulted in me waking up convinced I was in massive trouble for damaging the cup.

Back to the dream.

There is a big tournament on with all the big names playing. For some reason I decided to damage the cup on one hole and then replaced the pin resulting in it sticking out at a funny angle.

I then legged it to meet up with my dad to exit the course. I was collared from behind and questioned about what I had done resulting in a sticker being placed on my head marking me as the culprit!

The dream progressed for a fair bit to the car park where I was unable to reverse the car out from its parking spot. I think this was me trying to make my escape without punishment.

I woke up soon after this convinced I was in massive trouble. Honestly thought my phone was about to ring with authorities chasing me for what I had done.

I think I was still dreaming for a good 20 minutes after I woke up and had to talk sense to myself that it was impossible to have done what I dreamt.

This happened last year with a similar story. Waking up having dreamt I have done something and convinced I am culpable for it.

Its really quite unnerving during those 20 minutes because I am convinced I am still dreaming although my eyes are open and out of “sleep”.

Has anyone experienced the above and know anything about it?

You were probably just dreaming that you were awake.😴

8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Before REM, the brain stem sends a message down the spinal cord to paralyse all the voluntary muscles to stop us damaging ourselves. Nobody really knows why some people get stuck in the paralysed state other than possible over stimulation before bedtime. Got this info from "Why we sleep" by Matthew Walker. That book and my bloody Fitbit have changed my sleeping habits (for the good).

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

I dreamt once that the ceiling was falling down in our bedroom, and I had to try and hold it up. Whilst still semi-sleeping, I stood on the bed and tried to reach up to stop it, then I woke up, but still I thought the dream was real for a short while (probably less that half a minute). Was standing on the bed to try and reach the ceiling, and calling out to my wife to wake up and trying to explain to her what was happening and that she needed to help me out. Gradually I realised it was all a dream.

She wasn't amused initially, then couldn't stop laughing...

Similar things have happened on other nights too, although funnily enough I haven't had it happen in a few years now after it being a fairly regular thing.

I had that same feeling that the roof was falling down once when I woke up, it was very unnerving but I put it down to an antibiotic I was on at the time which seemed to make by brain a bit funny ( nothing unusual there 🙂). I woke up once thinking an intruder was in the room and swung a punch at a coat hanging behind the door which in my half awake state looked like a shadowy figure. Lucky I was on my own that night so avoided the embarrassment. 

Another time I knocked the bedside lamp over as I tried to catch a cricket ball in a dream. 

6 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

Few Clowns on this thread need a check up from the neck up.

Nutters.

Are you still dreaming about me buying you a pint?  :) 

13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Are you still dreaming about me buying you a pint?  :) 

Aye, only when I'm asleep though, no like the loonies on here 🤣🤣🤣

I get night terrors.  Always about the thought of being with Noah Bumhole.    I also get day terrors sometimes.   Always when with Noah Bumhole.     I'll figure out the cause one day.    

After returning from a trip to Australia years ago, I had a dream there was a snake in my bedroom. When I woke up I was convinced it was real and dashed out the room and slammed the door shut. Took me around 30 secs to realise how ridiculous it was, but I was shitting it opening the door again!

For ages after I started secondary school.about 45 years ago, I wasn't sure if it was real or if I was only dreaming it. Now and again I remember that and wonder. What if....?

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

I get night terrors.  Always about the thought of being with Noah Bumhole.    I also get day terrors sometimes.   Always when with Noah Bumhole.     I'll figure out the cause one day.    

Bumhole is poatut.