Ayia Napa

Cigaro

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I was over there in 2001. I took a grand for 2 weeks. Was ok at the time but I've no idea if it is much more expensive than it was back then.

If it is anything like Ibiza is nowadays you'll need to take more than that.

A grand?!

I took ?500 to Zante for a fortnight and the drinks there are expensive as hell.

Trying to compare it to that.

A grand?!

I took ?500 to Zante for a fortnight and the drinks there are expensive as hell.

I spent a grand in Zante last year.

Yikes.

I took 700 last year, came back with 100. We drank alot before we went out tho. Your first week is cheaper tho cos the PRs take u into the bars and give you good deals. The free shots are proper shots aswell.

How expensive is it when you get over there?

:confused:

When you going? How long for? Are you a family? Group of guys?

I have a wee apt. in central `Napa, and go 4-5 times a year EVERY year, with a view to moving permanantly. I know it better than Leith.

My first post. I am a Hobo, who likes to see both sides of the divide, not here to wind-up anyone, but can offer loads of info on how to get the cheapest nights out, best resturaunts, cheapest beers, best beaches, taxi prices, bike-hire, money-changing etc.

Happy to answer anything.

A grand?!

Quadruple that and hit a proper party island like Ibiza, you wont regret it.

When you going? How long for? Are you a family? Group of guys?

I have a wee apt. in central `Napa, and go 4-5 times a year EVERY year, with a view to moving permanantly. I know it better than Leith.

My first post. I am a Hobo, who likes to see both sides of the divide, not here to wind-up anyone, but can offer loads of info on how to get the cheapest nights out, best resturaunts, cheapest beers, best beaches, taxi prices, bike-hire, money-changing etc.

Happy to answer anything.

Cheers for the response.

Going in July, first 2 weeks. Its a group of guys and a few couples.

Cash is going to be pretty short (not too short but shortish compared to a grand!) so any info is greatly appreciated.

How does it compare price wise to the likes of here and Zante?

Travel agents said Cyprus was approx 25% cheaper than Greece.

Cheers for the response.

Going in July, first 2 weeks. Its a group of guys and a few couples.

Cash is going to be pretty short (not too short but shortish compared to a grand!) so any info is greatly appreciated.

How does it compare price wise to the likes of here and Zante?

Travel agents said Cyprus was approx 25% cheaper than Greece.

NP. First up. Hotel or Self-Catering? Car? Ages of party?? Then I can start.

A grand?!

Same here. Went with ?400 and came back with about ?50.

Ok assuming it`s self catering, Don`t be buying provisions in `Napa supermarkets. Get a taxi to "Paralimni" 3 miles away, (nearby town `bout 9 Euro`s each way)

There are two big supermarkets "Kokkinos" or "Carrefour" the booze is cheap as hell. (e.g. bottle of Stella in `Napa around ?1.50.....Paralimni around 79p.)

Ham, cheese, bread etc. for late night snacks, `bout half price too.

Drink the local beer, Carlsberg, Keo, Leon all acceptable. About ?1.50-?2.00 a pint. British beers are too expensive.

Drink the local spirits, Keo whisky, Vodka, Brandy etc. Half the price.

As a poster above mentioned, the "Shot" deals are excellent. I thought they would be watered-down. THEY ARE NOT.

Clubs are expensive price-wise, get tanked-up in the Apt. first. (on your cheap booze you bought in nearby Paralimni) Then hit the town.

Don`t try asking around for "Illegal" substances.......a) it`s crap, B) it`s expensive, c) Zero tolerance, and under-cover cop/clubbers/dealers everywhere.

Eating out/beaches I will come to.......but have to do something. BRB.

Anymore details/questions you have would be helpful to me in order to help you.

A grand?!

I wouldnt compare what youll need to what Gavin Miller spent mate.

What Gav failed to inform you is that he has a chronic drinking problem.:dribble:

Ok assuming it`s self catering, Don`t be buying provisions in `Napa supermarkets. Get a taxi to "Paralimni" 3 miles away, (nearby town `bout 9 Euro`s each way)

There are two big supermarkets "Kokkinos" or "Carrefour" the booze is cheap as hell. (e.g. bottle of Stella in `Napa around ?1.50.....Paralimni around 79p.)

Drink the local beer, Carlsberg, Keo, Leon all acceptable. About ?1.50-?2.00 a pint. British beers are too expensive.

As a poster above mentioned, the "Shot" deals are excellent. I thought they would be watered-down. THEY ARE NOT.

Clubs are expensive price-wise, get tanked-up in the Apt. first. (on your cheap booze you bought in nearby Paralimni) Then hit the town.

Don`t try asking around for "Illegal" substances.......a) it`s crap, B) it`s expensive, c) Zero tolerance, and under-cover cop/clubbers/dealers everywhere.

Excellent thanks.

Restaurant wise, how cheap is it?

For a two week SC break how much would you reccommend?

Excellent thanks.

Restaurant wise, how cheap is it?

For a two week SC break how much would you reccommend?

Don't worry about money mate, Take what you can afford, Divide it by the number of nights you are there and make it last.

You'll have a great time, Not stayed in Ayia Napa, Was in Protaras a couple of years back and in Paphos the year before that.

Spent the day in Ayia Napa (The waterpark is excellent) and like anywhere, There are expensive clubs/pubs/restaurants and less expensive ones.

For the first time in my life I recommend you take the Hobos advice, He sounds like he's on the ball.

Don't worry about money mate, Take what you can afford, Divide it by the number of nights you are there and make it last.

You'll have a great time, Not stayed in Ayia Napa, Was in Protaras a couple of years back and in Paphos the year before that.

Spent the day in Ayia Napa (The waterpark is excellent) and like anywhere, There are expensive clubs/pubs/restaurants and less expensive ones.

For the first time in my life I recommend you take the Hobos advice, He sounds like he's on the ball.

Thats the plan either way.

I'm confident I'll be fine though.

Great advice, hobo or not.

The Hobo returns, Beaches round `Napa.

Beautiful, with LOUD sounds....."Nissi beach". Water-sports, day-time clubbing, topless Scandies, 1 Mile (?2 odds in a cab) is a total blast! Tip though, the beach bars are dear, take a Kool-bag, make yer own. Or pop back to the main drag, 300 yards, get a round half price, and head back to the sand. It`s a magic beach, walk out almost half a mile, Pelicans swim by, waist-high water, and you can still see yer toes.

"Sandy Bay". Quieter, reserved, chill material, superb for hangover recovery. Just under a mile out. Worth it.

Just say these above names to the cab driver, and yer there.

As said above, the Waterpark is freakin` brilliant. `bout ?16 quid a skull, a bit dear for booze `n burgers.........but utterly SUPERB! Do it more than once.

Take yer Kool-bag, full of beers, hire a locker, and "visit" yer bag now and again. ;)

Grub next. Compiling as we speak. Can`t believe I`m collaborating.........:eek:

Hope yer writing this down.

Holy-Moly, after reading your posts in the past, I`ll take that as a back-handed grudgingly made compliment. We`re not all "Reptiles" as is so well put here.

I just hope the guy has a good (cheaper) time........in a nice wee part of the planet. I won`t have a footie dig, but I`d love to. ;)

Food-wise........Le Casa De Napa, excellent Italian, 2 peeps, wine, beer, Main course, pudding.......Approx. ?25. Better than anything here.

Go Greek! Taverna-type Resturaunts. Not just Greek food, steak, pizza etc. Add wine......about ?15 for 2.

Check outside menu`s as they undercut each other BIG time.

Kebabs to die for opposite "The 15th cent. Monastory" right in the middle of town. "2.50 each.........however 1 is enough for 2. ;)

K.F.C. is cheap, McDonalds also, but Kebabs are the dogs proverbials. (honest Mister)

Japanese resturaunt. "Hokkiado" is only for a treat, but cooked in front of you with an unbelievable chefs show thrown in. (need to book 24 hours in advance)

Los Banditos, the best Mexican I have EVER had, cheap, superb, fun! A must do. Best to book, as there are queues, but it is brilliant!

River Reggae........An all night outdoor club, swimming at 5 in the morning to Marley suit you? Get down there. ?2 in a cab. There is a funny smell hangs over there, you may be lucky. I was, and am. Funky as it gets. A Must!

Highlander Bar, or Craigs Bar for Kareoke, and fun-a-plenty........Weedgie Alert though. Great boozers all the same.

Pole-dancing? More? 2 places.......ask a cabbie. ;)

Romeo`s, on Nissi Avenue is also the best breakfast known to man. (cheap too) "Lager with your eggs sir?" No Problem.

Anything else?

Oh, if you like seafood......MARKOS fish rest. down by the harbour is cheap, and excellent! They fish overnight, and bring the catch to the place at 7:00 every morning. Sea Bass. `nuff said.

Don`t drink at pool bars ................except this one. "The Senator". Looks posh, but it is great. Buy a couple of cheap beers, and they are, and use the facilities all day. Ace, clean pool. Totally sound. Again, say the name to a cabbie.

Do Agia Napa like a local. ;)

Think I`m done now.

Anything else, man?

Why are you a Hobo, don't you have any self respect?

Thanks anyway, Hobo-ism, is in my blood. Way it is, dude.

I won`t ever rip anyone here, but will be ripped apart I`m sure.

I`m a guest, after all.

My self-respect is well intact thanks. It`s a 3+ generation family thing. I`d never change it. Sorry.

Was there in 200 and it was all pretty even cash wise. Meals 3 course are ok. Drinks were as you pay here. It was a fortnight i was there too.Spent alot of money i did

Listen to the Travel Agent :P

Listen to the Travel Agent :P

Difference is, I`m not selling. Just sharing advice. :)

Your going in August you say? Insist on Air-Conditioning. Or the humidity at night might just spoil your party. It can be unbearably 100+ at 3 in the morning with no breeze. If you are SC, works out about ?3 a day for them to activate it. Best money you will spend.

Awesome mate. No ripping off me thanks to this.

Its getting booked now, unfortunately I'm not there:confused:

Was wary of the idea at first, but now I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Cheers again.

Awesome mate. No ripping off me thanks to this.

Its getting booked now, unfortunately I'm not there:confused:

Was wary of the idea at first, but now I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Cheers again.

Been booked, ?503 from Glasgow 2nd-16th.

Sal Mary hotel. Any opinions or tips there?

Been booked, ?503 from Glasgow 2nd-16th.

Sal Mary hotel. Any opinions or tips there?

Aye, don`t be a sheep like the other tourists. Pool Bar/Rest. prices overly expensive. Just use it as somewhere to crash out.

It`s good, clean, basic and central too.

Find "The Senator" It ain`t far. All they ask is that you don`t bring your own food or peeve. Theirs is cheap enough, and you get the sun/pool all day.

As above, buy all your food/booze in Paralimni. It`s not a pretty place, but your just visiting. ;)

Write down all info above, and you will shave about 40% off yer spending.

Duty-Free. Buy out of town too, Airport`s a rip-off.

I smoke a popular "Regal" brand here. At the airport they are ?27 a carton. Out of town........?19-20. Get yer bevvy there too. Blue label etc. around ?6-7.

Re. Nightlife, some clubs open at 8 in the morning, so a 24 hr party is easy.

BTW, Hellenic Bank or Bank of Cyprus hole-in-the wall machines will work with your standard bank card or visa. (no commision)

The quoted prices may vary slightly, as Cyprus has just gone Euro this month.

Enjoy.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I wouldnt compare what youll need to what Gavin Miller spent mate.

What Gav failed to inform you is that he has a chronic drinking problem.:dribble:

Harsh............but fair!

Aye, don`t be a sheep like the other tourists. Pool Bar/Rest. prices overly expensive. Just use it as somewhere to crash out.

It`s good, clean, basic and central too.

Find "The Senator" It ain`t far. All they ask is that you don`t bring your own food or peeve. Theirs is cheap enough, and you get the sun/pool all day.

As above, buy all your food/booze in Paralimni. It`s not a pretty place, but your just visiting. ;)

Write down all info above, and you will shave about 40% off yer spending.

Duty-Free. Buy out of town too, Airport`s a rip-off.

I smoke a popular "Regal" brand here. At the airport they are ?27 a carton. Out of town........?19-20. Get yer bevvy there too. Blue label etc. around ?6-7.

Re. Nightlife, some clubs open at 8 in the morning, so a 24 hr party is easy.

BTW, Hellenic Bank or Bank of Cyprus hole-in-the wall machines will work with your standard bank card or visa. (no commision)

The quoted prices may vary slightly, as Cyprus has just gone Euro this month.

Enjoy.

Awesome mate.

Much appreciated. I've copied the thread into a Word document so I have it all there.

Read a few reviews of the hotel, not great ones, but TBH if its got the basics thats all it needs.

One last thing, when I went to Turkey I was advised against taking a Greek strip etc. Any no no's like that?

Awesome mate.

Much appreciated. I've copied the thread into a Word document so I have it all there.

Read a few reviews of the hotel, not great ones, but TBH if its got the basics thats all it needs.

One last thing, when I went to Turkey I was advised against taking a Greek strip etc. Any no no's like that?

Do NOT take a Turkey top. I`d give you 3 mins. MAX.

Haha ok. So no Galatasaray top then?

That would be a bit like walking up and down Leith Walk with a FTH shirt on. x100.

Sorry dude, Cypriot hospital food I know nothing about. :)

That would be a bit like walking up and down Leith Walk with a FTH shirt on. x100.

Haha ok. Note taken.

I'm sure my mate will be able to find out about the food. Hypochondriac.:ninja:

I'll let you know!;)

Highlander Bar, or Craigs Bar for Kareoke, and fun-a-plenty........Weedgie Alert though. Great boozers all the same.

Avoid getting Irn Bru though, ****in dear. :P

Laganas.

:wacko:

Laganas and now Ayia Napa.

Aren't we the party animal? :eek:

Again, Have spent the day in Laganas, I was based in Argassi, The best holiday I've ever had.

Enjoy Cyprus when the time comes.

Again, Have spent the day in Laganas, I was based in Argassi, The best holiday I've ever had.

Didn`t you find Protaras a bit, "manufactured" false, soulless even. As in, it WAS manufactured, quite literally.

Apparantly Famagusta council are trying to divert all the Tourist Ravers out there within the next 3 years to make Ayia Napa a more "serene" town.

Fine by me, but not so sure Protaras is the answer.

Paphos is freakin` great, for families etc. But I think ripping the soul out of `Napa could be a mistake. They are also building a massive golf resort in between `Napa and Protaras. You`ve obviously been around the island. Any thoughts?

Didn`t you find Protaras a bit, "manufactured" false, soulless even. As in, it WAS manufactured, quite literally.

Apparantly Famagusta council are trying to divert all the Tourist Ravers out there within the next 3 years to make Ayia Napa a more "serene" town.

Fine by me, but not so sure Protaras is the answer.

Paphos is freakin` great, for families etc. But I think ripping the soul out of `Napa could be a mistake. They are also building a massive golf resort in between `Napa and Protaras. You`ve obviously been around the island. Any thoughts?

I'm certainly no expert:), I've spent a week based in Paphos and the following year i spent a week based in Protaras where we visited Ayia Napa for the day.

I can see what you mean regarding Protaras, As with anything though it depends on what you're looking for, As it turned out the week we spent there was ideal for what we were looking for (A lazy week around the pool etc)

As for Paphos, You're right, It is ideal for families, Loads to do etc.

I would be interested in this Golf resort though.

That sounds right up my street.....

Not in the slightest. :laugh:

Archived