Dennis The Menace

Crete

jack D and coke

Think so? First bit of bad weather we’ve had for a couple of years tbh. Winters used to last from November to March. It just rains now. Seasons seem to have disappeared. 

It's been like the warmest 'winter' ever recorded. Get used to much higher average temperatures with the odd freak storm surge cos that's how it's going to be from now on. 

7 hours ago, been here before said:

Mind when the weather just used to be shite? Or windy...or wet.. or whatever.

Now we give names to the weather.

I'm sure if we named the last storm, it wouldn't be Ciara. :D

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm sure if we named the last storm, it wouldn't be Ciara. :D

Aye, it was a strange name.

Means clear or light.

Those Met guys are taking the piss !

Up until the weekend just there, it's been pretty pleasant and mild in 2020 so far. 2019 didn't end too badly either.

As for wind, it's been pretty mad the last few days, but as an Edinburgh native, you just kind of get used to it.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I take the one after Denis will be named Gnasher?

It would have to be Enasher, surely?

:) 

40 minutes ago, chubby1973 said:

BBC News - CalMac crew praised for berthing lurching ferry at Ardrossan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-51522580

Never knew you could handbrake turn a boat. 

Quote from captain "it was a wee hit choppy" 

Real drama that and the airline pilots crabbing their planes onto the runways, amazing stuff. I bet they were loving it compared to the routine berthing/landings.

On 11/02/2020 at 20:48, Crete said:

Dennis The Menace arrives on Friday for another wild storm.

What a terrible winter we are having. 💨❄🌧

My mother in law said its been ok, obviously trying to wind me up again.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, chubby1973 said:

A number of cars there (including a Volvo) sitting with their brake lights on. Surely that's a time to use the handbrake at the very least? If I'd been in that queue, my car would have been the one with the reversing lights on.

2 hours ago, The Roller said:

Worst winds so far.

It’s wild.

Put our bin at the side of the house earlier for the collection tomorrow. Thought it was sheltered enough as it was between two houses but the wind blew it forward about 3 meters and it blew over. Was just outside in my jammies righting it and picking up the recycling. 

We've not had a proper winter in Bath for over 5 years now. Personally I'm delighted. At my age it fecking hurts when I slide on my arse.

14 hours ago, Hairdryer said:

Dennis isn’t a name you would associate with a storm

It's more a fire engine kind of name.

Салатные палочки
16 hours ago, chubby1973 said:

Never mind a handbrake turn, I would be trying to make a three point turn in that queue! 

Салатные палочки
16 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Real drama that and the airline pilots crabbing their planes onto the runways, amazing stuff. I bet they were loving it compared to the routine berthing/landings.

FR24 has been interesting the past few days, loads of planes scribbling their wee luminous lines all over the screen.  Was watching Dublin airport last night, the weather must have been pretty bad.  At one point there was about ten planes holding due to go-arounds. 

11 hours ago, Helzibob said:

Put our bin at the side of the house earlier for the collection tomorrow. Thought it was sheltered enough as it was between two houses but the wind blew it forward about 3 meters and it blew over. Was just outside in my jammies righting it and picking up the recycling. 

That’s what I like to hear someone keeping the place tidy no matter what the weather is.

1 hour ago, Crete said:

That’s what I like to hear someone keeping the place tidy no matter what the weather is.

LOL, I must have been some sight running up the street collecting the cans blowing about in the wind.

4 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

FR24 has been interesting the past few days, loads of planes scribbling their wee luminous lines all over the screen.  Was watching Dublin airport last night, the weather must have been pretty bad.  At one point there was about ten planes holding due to go-arounds.

I'm tempting fate here, but never been involved in a go-around and never want to. I'm full of admiration for their skills that are predominantly redundant until the likes of Dennis turns up. fascinating viewing.

Салатные палочки
36 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

I'm tempting fate here, but never been involved in a go-around and never want to. I'm full of admiration for their skills that are predominantly redundant until the likes of Dennis turns up. fascinating viewing.

I think being involved in one because of a runway incursion or something might be interesting. But knowing that it's due the wind, you know you're going to have to go through it all again and maybe again and then on the fourth attempt its either land or divert.  

Got to put our trust in the pilots I suppose.  

51 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I think being involved in one because of a runway incursion or something might be interesting. But knowing that it's due the wind, you know you're going to have to go through it all again and maybe again and then on the fourth attempt its either land or divert.  

Got to put our trust in the pilots I suppose.  

Aye, and how much gas is still in the tank.

6 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

I'm tempting fate here, but never been involved in a reach around and never want to. I'm full of admiration for their skills that are predominantly redundant until the likes of Dennis turns up. fascinating viewing.

That one change of word gives this post an entirely different complexion.... 

Dennis sounds an interesting character! 

18 hours ago, Crete said:

Good job he still wears his jammies.

He could have ended up on the sex offender's register.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Good job he still wears his jammies.

He could have ended up on the sex offender's register.

Bin dipping would take on an entirely new meaning. 

My fence is still standing, a wee drill and screws did the job, result.

Thoughts for the poor folk in England and anyone else badly hit by the storm.

18 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Climate change.  We are doomed!

I know you're likely being sarcastic but..

Could be that it is winter time and we are just having a particularly bad one? These climate activists would say the same if it was pouring down snow or nice and mild. There is no pleasing the feckers 

Cue greta thunberg showing up at my door giving me the evil looks and telling off for not caring enough. 

No doubt climate change is a thing and more needs to be done but I think the severity is being over exaggerated. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

14 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

That one change of word gives this post an entirely different complexion.... 

Dennis sounds an interesting character! 

Tweeks like that can be ruinous for guys that adore the female form...but very funny. :thumbsup:

Салатные палочки
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

I know you're likely being sarcastic but..

Could be that it is winter time and we are just having a particularly bad one? These climate activists would say the same if it was pouring down snow or nice and mild. There is no pleasing the feckers 

Cue greta thunberg showing up at my door giving me the evil looks and telling off for not caring enough. 

No doubt climate change is a thing and more needs to be done but I think the severity is being over exaggerated. 

Me and my mate used to laugh when this line was used on the news.  If you listen to the news you will hear it at least once a night.  Scottish news in particular.  

"Campaigners today demanded more to be done about X and Y" 

No one ever says "Like what?".  They just leave it out there for viewers to nod and go "yes....yes!  more does need to be done".  

16 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Me and my mate used to laugh when this line was used on the news.  If you listen to the news you will hear it at least once a night.  Scottish news in particular.  

"Campaigners today demanded more to be done about X and Y" 

No one ever says "Like what?".  They just leave it out there for viewers to nod and go "yes....yes!  more does need to be done".  

The thing is what the UK can do about it is nothing TBH. The top 5 polluting countries are China, US, India, Russia and Japan and apparently the account for over 60 percent of the worlds carbon emissions. If they cut their emissions in half the world would probably be fine  

I mean, that's what makes fighting it impossible and will only take a climate disaster of epic proportions worldwide before it is tackled globally. 

More DOES need to be done but i do not think anyone actually knows what. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Салатные палочки
8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The thing is what the UK can do about it is nothing TBH. The top 5 polluting countries are China, US, India, Russia and Japan and apparently the account for over 60 percent of the worlds carbon emissions. If they cut their emissions in half the world would probably be fine  

I mean, that's what makes fighting it impossible and will only take a climate disaster of epic proportions worldwide before it is tackled globally. 

More DOES need to be done but i do not think anyone actually knows what. 

I should have added that I wasn't having a dig at you.  It was more to do with people who use it but don't have the answers, like probably 90% of climate protesters and Extinction Rebellion.  

3 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I should have added that I wasn't having a dig at you.  It was more to do with people who use it but don't have the answers, like probably 90% of climate protesters and Extinction Rebellion.  

👍👍

Everyone knows what needs to be done. No one will make the sacrifices to pull it off and I include myself in that. As for that nonsense i8 post, storms and heavy rainfall are a symptom of climate change. Its not just going to be a bit warmer all the time. 

Rising temperatures globally means more energy in weather systems which means more frequent and worse storms in the winter.

Most of the heaviest polluting nations are working hard to address the issue.

USA is resisting because the USA is a moron.

India hasn't got a hope in hell as government control ends at the city boundary of New Delhi.

Japan and China are pushing renewables hard and there are very stiff fines for breaching pollutant levels (citizens also face fines for not recycling properly).

EU's been putting limits on energy use for ages. Lower wattage vacuums and lightbulbs etc means less energy demand which means less energy produced which means less power plant pollution.

A few small steps quickly adds up if enough people do them.