We are not alone.... Maybe.

Greedy Jambo

8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

That's my guess.

Look at the road homo sapiens is going down.  We're at the start of the Sixth Extinction, and things are going to get worse, a lot worse, before they get better.  Once we've destroyed life in the oceans (already started), and once we've destroyed the rain forests (already started) we're going to have the challenge of surviving on 1/3 of today's oxygen.  I can't see there being much interest in extraterrestrial life if we're struggling to avoid extinction.

EDIT:  I'm a laugh a minute at a house party!!!

While I often think along those lines myself I also wonder if all intelligent life has to be like humans. We're aggressive, greedy, thoughtless. We have people in power right now who couldn't care less about the future of their own grandchildren provided they can make a profit right now.

But does everything have to be like that? One of our closest living ape cousins are the chimps. Now if you ever research anything about chimps you will discover that they're ranked as one of and perhaps the most aggressive and intolerant animals on the planet.

If one chimp group encounters another it's instant all out war. That's  the kind of evolutionary background we come from and it's obviously still a feature.

But consider another ape species had been the one to reach high intelligence first. The gorillas for example. Decades of research has indicated that in general they're far more peaceful than either we or the chimps are.

They're nothing like so easily aggravated as we are or the chimps are and have been noted to be tolerant of individuals from other groups. Chimps on the other hand would instantly attack and kill such an individual.

I think you get the idea. If the gorillas and not us had been the ones to achieve high intelligence we might see an entirely different world. If life proves to be pretty much everywhere I would still expect high intelligence to be far rarer.

Given that it appears to have happened here only once, happened just seconds ago geologically speaking, and that took billions of years. It's probably very rare even on planets teeming with life as Earth is.

But the numbers involved are so unimaginably vast that rare things are happening all the time in the galaxy and even more so in the universe. I can't believe high intelligence is unique to this particular little rock among countless trillions.

Edited by JFK-1

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• Unknown user

• Ulysses

• WorldChampions1902

Oh come on JFK, you're a great writer but not very exciting. 

I'd rather hear your views on who actually shot JFK than just stuff from books. 

8 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Oh come on JFK, you're a great writer but not very exciting. 

I'd rather hear your views on who actually shot JFK than just stuff from books. 

It's not bad if you read it in either a David Attenborough or Morgan Freeman voice.

This forum gets more special by the day. Needs to be preserved for centuries so future generations can study how radge folk were back in the 2010s and 2020s.

7 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

This forum gets more special by the day. Needs to be preserved for centuries so future generations can study how radge folk were back in the 2010s and 2020s.

What you mean all the rages trolling and posting OFF topic stuff.

This thread has again attracted the piss takers, trolls and the "look at me boys i am funny as feck eh"  trypes. 

Those kind of folk NEVER look deeper, are lazy and love spoiling any  serious discussion when  "credible"  sources are provided that they dont like.

After all they dont want their "wee green  men anal probe" jokes getting spoilt.

There is no fecking conspiracy here.

Astrophysics and its related disciplines has evolved and found out a lot since the "wee green men" jokes and ridiculed gangs of say 10/20 years ago. 

Are we alone, me personally, no.

Is there advanced intelligence life out there, yip. 

Have there been cases of a "surveillance" and "scientific"  only,( no contact),   agenda  in the past??  It's a possibility.

One thing that has been prevalent through some of the scientific  community is that "science" needs to maybe stop judging everything that it can't explain  on  only what science knows at present.  

Scientist Behind Venus Life Claim Describes It as “Crazy”.

"When I first learned of Jane's finding I simply didn't believe it."

The discovery of phosphine in the atmosphere of Venus — a colorless and odorless gas that researchers say is a possible sign of life — made a huge splash in science and space media yesterday.

Take this below;

The findings bolster the idea that microorganisms could survive in the planet’s atmosphere, despite the hostile conditions — a hypothesis that famed astronomer Carl Sagan put forward over 50 years ago.

Now FIFTY years ago.

But was it just hype — or is it really possible that organic life can survive there? In a new CNN opinion piece, MIT researcher and member of the international team that announced yesterday’s findings in the journal Nature Astronomy Sarah Seager writes that the finding forces a pair of extraordinary conclusions.

She wrote that “my takeaway is that it indicates there is something highly unusual going on to produce phosphine — either some completely unknown chemistry, or possibly some kind of microbial-type life.”

She is admitting that science as we currently know it today, and what it contains, in regards to the conditions of life being able to survive could very well be limited.

In short we dont know ALL there is to know about our own solar system never mind our own galaxy, one of thousands out there. And then there is the hypothesis (again from some credible scientific sources),  that the universe might be a fecking holograpic reality  emanating  from as yet and unknown.

When all the piss taking, fun, banter and jokes are put aside there is a very serious scientific side to the possibility of life existing not only beyond earth but nothing like we can even begin to imagine in our present state of evolution.

The days of  only the u tube conspiracy nut on this subject  taking it seriously are now limited. 

“Each explanation, somehow, seems equally crazy,” she added.

The phosphine detection, a project led by Jane Greaves of Cardiff University in the UK, came as a shock to Seager.

“When I first learned of Jane’s finding I simply didn’t believe it,” she wrote.

“The finding is so astonishing because phosphine should not be present in Venus’ atmosphere,” Seager argues. “Phosphine needs lots of hydrogen and the right temperatures and pressures to form — conditions found on Jupiter and Saturn but not at all on Venus.”

To Seager, it means that “our finding of phosphine gas now raises Venus as just one more place to take seriously in the search for life beyond Earth — maybe not so crazy after all.”

This is very telling;

The discovery made such a big splash, it drew the attention of NASA as well.

“It’s time to prioritize Venus,” NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine wrote in a tweet following the announcement.

:kirk:
Edited by maroonlegions

I don't think anyone around here has dismissed the possibility of alien life. On the contrary most including me appear to think it's likely. What they don't believe is that there is intelligent alien life visiting this planet.

Prioritising Venus in the search for extra terrestrial  life doesn't change that. They're not expecting to find spaceship building aliens there.

Edited by JFK-1

What's the chances of another planet that was lucky enough to have everything the earth has had. Especially a Moon that stabilises everything. 

AlphonseCapone
6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think anyone around here has dismissed the possibility of alien life. On the contrary most including me appear to think it's likely. What they don't believe is that there is intelligent alien life visiting this planet.

Prioritising Venus in the search for extra terrestrial  life doesn't change that. They're not expecting to find spaceship building aliens there.

Agree. Maroonlegions is very passionate about this subject and at times I think he over analyses folk having a bit of a laugh with laughing at the entire subjects credibility. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What's the chances of another planet that was lucky enough to have everything the earth has had. Especially a Moon that stabilises everything. 

Given the size of the galaxy, and the number of galaxies in the universe, I'd say the chances are pretty high.

Edited by Sydney

AlphonseCapone
41 minutes ago, Sydney said:

Given the size of the galaxy, and the number of galaxies in the universe, I'd say the chances are pretty high.

The drake equation suggests so. 

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

As the guys say above the chances are about 100% that there is a place like this.  But there may only be a handful of them and we will 99.99% never ever know of them due to the vastness of it all. 

What I think we have to remember though is that Earth with the moon, the tides, distance from the sun, it's tilt and the seasons etc is perfect for us Humans to live on.  Not because its perfect for people to live on but because humans have evolved to live in these conditions.  We only guess that these are the right conditions for life to exist because its all we know. A sample size of 1.

It could be that life and civilisation exists on a planet where the air, gravity and temperature are completely different to ours.  I understand the argument for liquid water being very important but again, that's based on all we know which isn't much.  There is life out there. 

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

A planet in the "goldilocks zone" - probably quite slim. 

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

As the guys say above the chances are about 100% that there is a place like this.  But there may only be a handful of them and we will 99.99% never ever know of them due to the vastness of it all. 

What I think we have to remember though is that Earth with the moon, the tides, distance from the sun, it's tilt and the seasons etc is perfect for us Humans to live on.  Not because its perfect for people to live on but because humans have evolved to live in these conditions.  We only guess that these are the right conditions for life to exist because its all we know. A sample size of 1.

It could be that life and civilisation exists on a planet where the air, gravity and temperature are completely different to ours.  I understand the argument for liquid water being very important but again, that's based on all we know which isn't much.  There is life out there. 

That's pretty much the Anrthropic Principle right there, the one which rebuffs creationists' view of our cosmic environment. I don't think the absence of the moon, tides and seasons would've stopped life evolving on earth. Perhaps humans wouldn't have evolved, but plenty other critters would have. Remember, we have a meteor impact to 'thank' for our existence. If the dinosaurs hadn't been wiped out by it, giving small mammals a unique evolutionary opportunity, we wouldn't be here debating it.

I think life, from simple to complex, is most likely ubiquitous throughout the universe. In every direction we probe, the ingredients of life - the 'stuff' we're all made of - is found in abundance. The equation could well be as simple as chemistry+physics+opportunity=life (C+P+O=L).

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Even if it's only one planet in a million, that means there are likely hundreds of millions of planets like ours in the Milky Way galaxy alone.  But the galaxy is a very big place, about 100,000 light years across and about 10,000 light years thick, so the chance of us contacting anyone else out there is exceedingly remote.

That's why, imo, the galaxy is probably teeming with life forms, but UFOs are not alien spacecraft.

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

A planet in the "goldilocks zone" - probably quite slim. 

Yip. There'll be life. But as the old saying goes. "Not as we know it, Jim" 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Yip. There'll be life. But as the old saying goes. "Not as we know it, Jim" 

Aye, there'll be planets with less gravity that support multi cellular life. Planets that are just water and seas with no land. Or covered in ice. All may support life. 

A planet with the exact same conditions, atmosphere, gravity etc... Probably very slim. 

I have seen speculation from scientists themselves that our moon is a big deal and that speculation is then extended to if not for the moon there may be no humans. That may be the case, who knows.

But it wouldn't mean there would be no life. If the moon weren't there the tides would be lower, not a problem to us or many other life forms. Maybe to some creatures which seem to operate by moon cycles. But they simply wouldn't have evolved in the manner they did.

The big one would be the stabilising effect the moon has on our planetary wobble which could dramatically effect the seasons.

The seasons could be unpredictable both in the timing of their occurrence and their duration. That would indeed be a nuisance for us but what would it mean to say life in the deep oceans? And keep in mind science currently thinks that the first life evolved in the seas. It would probably mean little at all.

The very reason they think it's likely to have developed in the seas rather than in 'some warm little pond' as Darwin speculated in origin of species is that sea temperature doesn't fluctuate much regardless of seasons. And especially so in the deep oceans.

From that my own speculation is that life on Earth would be different if we had no moon. But it would still be there. It would simply have evolved in a different manner into the different circumstances it was presented with. Exactly like all current life on Earth evolved into the circumstances it finds itself in.

There's a hypothesis that prior to the Cambrian explosion around 650 million years or so ago: there was a period lasting around 10 million years they call snowball Earth. During this period it's hypothesised that the entire Earth was covered in ice with maybe a slushy surface at best around equatorial regions. But no running liquid water on the entire surface.

Obviously a 10 million year Winter covering the entire Earth and with all the seas frozen would be a serious problem for anything living on the surface prior to the freeze. But below the ice the deep seas pretty much carried on as normal at a similar temperature and same lack of light it had always experienced.

And of course the life in it just carried on regardless then when the freeze eventually did thaw out life, as it always had, moved into the new environment. And 650 million years later here we are. Life can survive in all manner of environments.

Though there is one odd feature of physics a school science teacher once pointed out to me would have made an infinitely more dramatic difference than seasons do.

Most people are aware that when a substance is heated it expands, alternatively if cooled there's a  tendency for contraction. But there's one very weird and crucial substance that breaks those rules. Water.

This weird substance does the opposite to that which we see in others. If we freeze it rather than contracting it expands. As anyone who has ever put a can of beer in the fridge to cool then forgot it well knows. Now this is an important feature for life.

Think again of that snowball Earth period. The seas freeze over but because the surface water freezes first and does this weird expanding thing it's now lighter than water. So being lighter than water it floats on the surface creating a type of insulating blanket the cold outside cannot get through.

Suppose water did not do this. Suppose like everything else it contracted when frozen. Well if that were the case it would then be denser than water and rather than floating on the surface,  ice crystals would sink to the bottom.

The seas would entirely freeze from the bottom up and that would be an end game. That would be a situation there would never be any recovery from. Just a little food for thought. We're only here because water is so weird.

Edited by JFK-1

No Moon, no multi cellular life. Single or pluricellular, who knows, it's just the opinion of a humble roof Slater/Tiler/Roughcaster. 

Without the Moon, The Earth would not have slowed its spin and would be lying on its side, the way Uranus does. Whether these different settings of the earth would have been accommodating to life on Earth, who knows. Then factor in, the possibly that it may well have been quite a bit bigger, if the moon hadn't hit her. Well the mind boggles. 

Edited by ri Alban

Some still trying desperately to pass of their OPINION as more credible than  some scientific sources that do not rule out the POSSIBILITY of intelligent life way more advanced than us , and have advance teck and understanding 

so far advanced that some might have actually conquered space travel . 

:gok:

2 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Some still trying desperately to pass of their OPINION as more credible than  some scientific sources that do not rule out the POSSIBILITY of intelligent life way more advanced than us , and have advance teck and understanding 

so far advanced that some might have actually conquered space travel . 

I don't think any scientists rule out the POSSIBILITY of intelligent alien life. Most if not all would probably agree it's a possibility. I'm not a scientist but I would agree to that. What they do predominately rule out is intelligent alien life visiting the Earth. Which I also agree with.

You might find some scientist who disagrees with that, but it would be no different from finding a smattering of geologists and biologists saying they believe the Earth and all life on it are no more than 10,000 years old. There are some saying that but it's a fringe minority not the consensus.

And that's pretty much the same when it comes to aliens visiting the Earth. The scientific consensus is that's not happening. I think what this looks like is more akin to you trying to pass off your OPINION as anything like mainstream. When the scientific consensus is that it isn't.

Has anyone noticed that some of the planets seem a lot closer now? especially Jupiter. 

If i had the cash, I'd buy a house at the top of a hill with a sky roof and a large telescope. 

4 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Has anyone noticed that some of the planets seem a lot closer now? especially Jupiter. 

If i had the cash, I'd buy a house at the top of a hill with a sky roof and a large telescope. 

The planets all orbit the sun at different speeds, which means the length of their year (i.e. the time it takes to complete one orbit of the sun) varies.  Consequently, sometimes a planet will be on the same side of the sun as earth, other times that planet will be on the opposite side of the sun.

When it's on the same side as us, it's closer.  When it's on the other side, it's much further away.

5 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The planets all orbit the sun at different speeds, which means the length of their year (i.e. the time it takes to complete one orbit of the sun) varies.  Consequently, sometimes a planet will be on the same side of the sun as earth, other times that planet will be on the opposite side of the sun.

When it's on the same side as us, it's closer.  When it's on the other side, it's much further away.

How long do they spend on the same side as us? Cos this has been going on for a while. ha. 

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

How long do they spend on the same side as us? Cos this has been going on for a while. ha. 

Roughly half their year.  That's their year, not ours.

A couple of examples:  A year on Mars is 687 earth days.  A year on Jupiter is 12 earth YEARS!!!

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

Roughly half their year.  That's their year, not ours.

A couple of examples:  A year on Mars is 687 earth days.  A year on Jupiter is 12 earth YEARS!!!

Cool, so what do you know about the dark side of the moon?

3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Cool, so what do you know about the dark side of the moon?

It's only dark half the time.

After spending more than 5 minutes with the general public, I'm not even convinced there's intelligent life on this planet, never mind other ones. 

5 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Then you can wear your gimp suit in peace. 

::troll::

Just make sure the Aliens aren’t watching you from the other end of the telescope. 👀

16 minutes ago, tian447 said:

After spending more than 5 minutes with the general public, I'm not even convinced there's intelligent life on this planet, never mind other ones. 

Said the general public. 

:)

Not about alien visitations, but rather large space rock visitations. Which unlike alien visitations we know have always happened and are pretty much 100% certain to happen again. Simply a matter of time.

Life on Earth after Massive Comet impact 🔴 FULL Film Documentary

Documentary showing the consequences of meteorite impact in modern days. What may happen if a meteorite the same size as the one that killed the dinosaurs, would collide again with Earth.

Only half a moon out in the night sky but it's absolutely massive with a clouds visible above and below, surrounded by stars and planets. 

28 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Only half a moon out in the night sky but it's absolutely massive with a clouds visible above and below, surrounded by stars and planets. 

It can depend on how high the moon is in the sky and how it's framed so to speak. I left the house one morning and saw a full moon that was so large I thought it had to be falling on us. It was low in the sky, just above the horizon, and framed between two buildings.

Moon illusion

I'm going off on a tangent here, but

I was watching old footage of roswell interviews last night, people that have since passed, according to them, there was 2 crashes, in both cases the debris field was massive (couldn't have been a balloon) and one of the crashes there was 3 aliens, 2 dead and one alive ( i know it's hard not to just laugh and call bullshit) anyway... the description of the "aliens" was "small and wearing some sort of uniform" 

I've done a lot of debunking on 'real alien photo's" over the years but there was one that i couldn't get to the bottom of, it was an old black and white picture of a small alien wearing some kind of uniform. 

Guess what? i now can't find it for the life of me. 

I'll leave you with this probable bullshit one, while i look for it, this is one i came across that i've not seen a lot of. 

Probably a couple of kids in fancy dress, but very decent masks for the time of it!

Or most likely a film set. 

4cb7315b4810998ecc985f42ad3f782a.jpg

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Something i forgot to mention, the ship that was found crashed in 1947, it had what looked like big tubes of wires with lights on the end of them, swaying in the wind. 

Fibre optics anyone? 

Your high speed broadband came from outerspace mate. ha. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

3 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Something i forgot to mention, the ship that was found crashed in 1947, it had what looked like big tubes of wires with lights on the end of them, swaying in the wind. 

Fibre optics anyone? 

Your high speed broadband came from outerspace mate. ha. 

Aliens with technology beyond our understanding, a mastery of physics beyond our understanding, capable of crossing solar distances. But not technologically savvy enough not to crash on arrival. Do you believe that?

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Aliens with technology beyond our understanding, a mastery of physics beyond our understanding, capable of crossing solar distances. But not technologically savvy enough not to crash on arrival. Do you believe that?

Yes, you can be as technically savvy as you like, when you're entering another world, things can change. 

You really need to look outside the box,  If they're real, they're not from here, they could be 1000 years more advanced yet a bacon roll could kill them. 

9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You really need to look outside the box,  If they're real, they're not from here, they could be 1000 years more advanced yet a bacon roll could kill them. 

Well you definitely have different thoughts on it than I do. My opinion? It's not real, it's total fantasy, and nothing that would be advanced enough to cross stellar distances just to crash is remotely realistic. To do so would require physics we could only imagine. 

What I think is that we would be stone age in comparison to such technology. Yet we can put not even piloted but unmanned vehicles down on Mars safely. Infinitely more difficult than landing a manned craft.

We can look at any world and deduce exactly what the conditions there are. Gravity, surface pressures, atmospheric composition, anything. Last year Japan safely landed a probe called Hayabusa2 on an asteroid.

That probe collected samples then safely left the asteroid, expected to return to Earth with the samples on December 6th this year.

All with our comparatively stone age technology. But to each his own.

36 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Well you definitely have different thoughts on it than I do. My opinion? It's not real, it's total fantasy, and nothing that would be advanced enough to cross stellar distances just to crash is remotely realistic. To do so would require physics we could only imagine. 

What I think is that we would be stone age in comparison to such technology. Yet we can put not even piloted but unmanned vehicles down on Mars safely. Infinitely more difficult than landing a manned craft.

We can look at any world and deduce exactly what the conditions there are. Gravity, surface pressures, atmospheric composition, anything. Last year Japan safely landed a probe called Hayabusa2 on an asteroid.

That probe collected samples then safely left the asteroid, expected to return to Earth with the samples on December 6th this year.

I'm the same, most of the time I think it's fantasy dug shite, but when i can be arsed digging, there's usually something that makes me stop and think. 

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm moronic when it comes to all this but have always been fascinated by the subject.

We know nothing, albeit we try hard. In the vastness of the universe who's to say anything is impossible?

Even when it comes to the necessities for life, ok, for our "life" what we believe is necessary but I don't for a second think life could not evolve under completely different circumstances from ours.

Anyhow, "had a couple" but even without, could talk about this kind of shit all night, sadly for me, (and almost certainly, our species) will not be around long enough for even the most basic answer.

I know I'm right though. ;)

1 minute ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I'm moronic when it comes to all this but have always been fascinated by the subject.

We know nothing, albeit we try hard. In the vastness of the universe who's to say anything is impossible?

Even when it comes to the necessities for life, ok, for our "life" what we believe is necessary but I don't for a second think life could not evolve under completely different circumstances from ours.

Anyhow, "had a couple" but even without, could talk about this kind of shit all night, sadly for me, (and almost certainly, our species) will not be around long enough for even the most basic answer.

I know I'm right though. ;)

I don't think I have seen anyone on this topic suggest there is no life elsewhere in the universe. What many including myself say is that we don't believe there are or ever have been aliens visiting the Earth.