We are not alone.... Maybe.

Greedy Jambo

Maybe an example of how we need to consider our parameters when looking for any form of alien life whether it be merely bacteria. Our usual thing when considering whether an alien planet would be suitable is mostly that would be too hot, that would too cold, etc.

Scientists who attached a strain of bacteria to the outside of the International Space Station have been stunned to find it survived for three years, in open space.

'Super bacteria' survives for three years outside space station

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• Unknown user

• Ulysses

• WorldChampions1902

On 25/08/2020 at 18:10, jake said:

Anyway everyone knows two planes brought down 3 buildings.

No Jake, 2 buildings hit by planes brought down surrounding buildings. It is not to hard to understand, unless your life depends on :conspiracy: To explain your life choices. 

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

No Jake, 2 buildings hit by planes brought down surrounding buildings. It is not to hard to understand, unless your life depends on :conspiracy: To explain your life choices. 

Na mate.

My life choices dont depend on it.

I just dont believe office fires caused this.

https://youtu.be/pJpqv3U1l7w

Just now, Bigsmak said:

Thats a bit harsh - especially when you are wrong. 

Aye you are right.The harsh bit.

Aussie tries to get me biting and it worked.

I dont believe office fires or falling rubble caused or could cause a building to fall in the way wtc7 fell.

And I'm gonnae leave it at that.

maroonlegions

Did life on Earth start in space? Study finds evidence of panspermia;

We could be aliens...:kirk:..

A new study from Japanese researchers confirms the possibility of panspermia, the possible spread of life throughout the universe via microbes that attach themselves to space bodies. The scientists showed that bacteria on the outside of the International Space Station can survive in space for years. The team also concluded that the Deinococcus radiodurans bacteria used in the experiment could even make the journey from Earth to Mars, hinting at the likelihood of our own extraterrestrial beginnings.

Panspermia: Research confirms that life can be spread by space-faring microbes

Are we alone??... like feck we are...:greggy:
Edited by maroonlegions

maroonlegions
11 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Maybe an example of how we need to consider our parameters when looking for any form of alien life whether it be merely bacteria. Our usual thing when considering whether an alien planet would be suitable is mostly that would be too hot, that would too cold, etc.

'Super bacteria' survives for three years outside space station

Yip. 

Could very well be off world intelligences with their very own consciousness that originates from their quantum level. 

After all one of the world's leading scientist Sir Roger Penrose thinks that a humans consciousness originates from a quantum level. 

Do our minds have quantum structures that give rise to consciousness? Sir Roger Penrose, one of the world's most famous scientists, believes this and can explain how he thinks it works.

Why a 'genius' scientist thinks our consciousness originates at the quantum level

maroonlegions

Habiltal new planets are popping up  all the time. THe list of these new worlds has grown since NASAs  Kepler space telescope was put into action.

UBC student discovers 17 new planets, including potentially habitable, Earth-sized world;

University of British Columbia astronomy student Michelle Kunimoto has discovered 17 new planets, including a potentially habitable, Earth-sized world, by combing through data gathered by NASA's Kepler mission.

Story Source:

Materials provided by University of British Columbia. Note: Content may be edited for style and length.

Journal Reference:

1. Michelle Kunimoto, Jaymie M. Matthews, Henry Ngo. Searching the Entirety of Kepler Data. I. 17 New Planet Candidates Including One Habitable Zone World. The Astronomical Journal, 2020; 159 (3): 124 DOI: 10.3847/1538-3881/ab6cf8

Probably no-one doubts that planets throughout the galaxy harbour microbes.  They fill every nook and cranny on earth, so undoubtedly they exist elsewhere too.

But it isn't certain that microbes will evolve into sentient creatures on other planets just because they did so here.  The evolution of life on earth contains many twists and turns and catastrophic events.  If any one of those many events hadn't happened, we would not be here. 

On 06/09/2020 at 12:46, Maple Leaf said:

Probably no-one doubts that planets throughout the galaxy harbour microbes.  They fill every nook and cranny on earth, so undoubtedly they exist elsewhere too.

But it isn't certain that microbes will evolve into sentient creatures on other planets just because they did so here.  The evolution of life on earth contains many twists and turns and catastrophic events.  If any one of those many events hadn't happened, we would not be here. 

I want to find those microbes because that alone could provide us with information of great importance. We're not going anywhere outside the solar system for probably at least centuries so i'm looking to Mars.

If we can find extant microbes there and they have DNA like the DNA every microbe, plant, insect and animal on Earth has that opens up a whole new can of worms.

The same DNA could not have independently arose twice. Where did it begin? Did it begin on Mars and travel to Earth in asteroids? Or vice versa?

There are no intelligent aliens visiting the Earth, never have been probably never will be. But that isn't to say they aren't out there somewhere. Or were out there somewhere.

We could even at some time detect an alien radio signal which came from an intelligent alien species that doesn't even exist anymore. Who knows. But I see no harm in looking despite the fact I have little confidence in finding anything intelligent.

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I want to find those microbes because that alone could provide us with information of great importance. We're not going anywhere outside the solar system for probably at least centuries so i'm looking to Mars.

If we can find extant microbes there and they have DNA like the DNA every microbe, plant, insect and animal on Earth has that opens up a whole new can of worms.

It certainly does.  The implications of alien DNA being similar to terrestrial DNA are staggering.

maroonlegions
8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

The same DNA could not have independently arose twice. Where did it begin? Did it begin on Mars and travel to Earth in asteroids? Or vice versa?

There are no intelligent aliens visiting the Earth, never have been probably never will be. But that isn't to say they aren't out there somewhere. Or were out there somewhere.

We could even at some time detect an alien radio signal which came from an intelligent alien species that doesn't even exist anymore. Who knows. But I see no harm in looking despite the fact I have little confidence in finding anything intelligent.

So who is controlling  some of the unknown objects that have over time been recorded or witnessed by Naval and military intelligences.

Until you look so much deeper at this you will naturally have your views. And with all due respect i had similar views once too.

There have been so many very credible individuals, much more credible than you, me or any fitbaw punter on here who have the ET hypothesis as one possible explanation for those UPA cases that defy explanation. Military Black opps yes, but none can rule out at present that some could very well be a ET intelligence WAY ahead of us in technology and scientific understanding. 

What science has now found out regarding  quantum mechanics and the so call "string theory"  could be nothing to what other intelligences have advanced on.

And what of the theory that its always been about a "no contact" just "reconnaissance"  missions   of observations from a scientific study by some ET intelligences???  

Current science does not know everything, and is not the be all and end all of just what this galaxy , never mind the millions of other galaxies, contain. If say a civilisation has overcome space travel then what does that open them up to. 

Also when you have serious credible astrophysicists stating that there is every possibility that we could be experiencing living in a galactic hologram  , then anythung is fecking possible..   

Would you want to land here, seriously , feck that this world is beyond the pale .

Gravity: We might have been getting it wrong this whole time;

"Scientific progress is serendipitous," he says. "It often happens in a way that you don't expect. That kind of development is still very hard to achieve by remote exchange.

link; https://phys.org/

If you would like to read more about previous projects to record scientific data about UFOs/UAP, see this section on our Scientific Resources page.

Physics from UFO Data
http://www.itacomm.net/ph/phdata_e.pdf.

Project for a network of automatic stations for UFO monitoring
Teodorani M. (2015). Full Paper

Instrumented Monitoring of Aerial Anomalies - A Scientific Approach to the Investigation On Anomalous Atmospheric Light Phenomena
Teodorani M. (2014). CAIPAN 2014 Workshop – CNES-GEIPAN (Paris, France), 8-9 July 2014.    Full Paper   |   (Presentation Slides)

Will leave the following quotes  below from very senior and powerful men from military to the head of the CIA.

1:“Behind the scenes, high-ranking Air Force officers are soberly concerned about UFOs. But through official secrecy and ridicule, many citizens are led to believe that unknown flying objects are nonsense.”
Former CIA Director, Roscoe Hillenkoetter, public statement, 1960. 

2:“My own present opinion, based on two years of careful study, is that UFOs are probably extraterrestrial devices engaged in something that might very tentatively be termed ‘surveillance’.”

Dr James McDonald before Congress, 1968.

3;“These UFOs are interplanetary devices systematically observing the Earth, either manned or under remote control, or both.”
“Information on UFOs, including sighting reports, has been and is still being officially withheld.”
Colonel Joseph J. Bryan III, founder member of the CIAs psychological warfare staff, advisor to NATO.

4:“This was no ordinary UFO. Scores of people saw it. It was no illusion, no deception, no imagination.”
Air MarshallAzim Daudpota, Zimbabwe speaking about a UFO sighting over the country in 1985.

5:“More than 10,000 sightings have been reported, the majority of which cannot be accounted for by any ‘scientific’ explanation, eg that they are hallucinations, the effects of light refraction, meteors, wheels falling from aeroplanes, and the like…. They have been tracked on radar screens… and the observed speeds have been as great as 9,000 mph. I am convinced that these objects do exist and they are not manufactured by any nation on earth. I can therefore see no alternative to accepting the theory that they come from an extraterrestrial source.”
Air Chief Marshall Lord Dowding, Commanding Officer of the RAF during WWII.

6:“I am convinced there was thought behind the thing’s manoeuvres.”
Lieutenant George Gorman, F51 pilot after being in a 30 minute dogfight with a small UFO in 1948.

7;“UFOs are real and they may come from outer space…photographs and various materials show scientifically that there are more advanced people piloting the saucers and motherships.”
General Kanshi Ishikawa, Chief of Air Staff, 1967.

8;“Air Force interceptors still pursue UFOs as a matter of national security to this country and to determine technical aspects involved.”
Major General Joe W. Kelly, 1957.

9;“It appears to be a metallic object...tremendous in size… directly ahead and slightly above… I am trying to close for a better look.”
Captain Thomas Mantell, USAF. These were his last words as he closed in on a UFO in 1948. Minutes later his plane was to crash and he was to lose his life.

10;“And don’t tell me they were reflections, I know they were solid objects.”
Lieutenant D. A Swimley, USAF in 1953 following the sighting of 8 UFOs that were confirmed on radar and witnessed numerous other people including commercial pilots and police officers.

11;“Headquarters wouldn't let us go after it and we played around a little bit. We got to watching how it made 90 degree turns at this high speed and everything. We knew it wasn’t a missile of any type, so then we confirmed it with the radar control station, and they kept following it, and then it crashed somewhere off between Texas and the Mexico border.”

“The Air Force has arrived at the conclusion that a certain number of anomalous phenomena has been produced in Belgian airspace. The numerous testimonies of ground observations….reinforced by the reports of the night March 30-31 (1990) have led us to face the hypothesis that a certain number of unauthorised aerial activities have taken place.

The day will undoubtedly come when the phenomenon will be observed with the technological means of detection and collection that won’t leave a single doubt about its origin.

This should lift a part of the veil that has covered the mystery for a long time; a mystery that continues to be present. But it exists, it is real, and that in itself is an important conclusion."
Colonel Wilfred De Brouwer, Chief of Operations for the Belgian Air Force in 1990 following a spate of sightings over the country witnessed by hundreds of people. Many of the sightings were confirmed on radar. 

And one of the best quotes for me is this one;

12;"It is impossible for any man-made machine to make a sudden appearance in front of a jumbo jet that is flying 910 kilometers per hour and to remain in steady formation paralleling our aircraft. ... Honestly, we were simply breath taken." 
Kenju Terauchi Japan Airlines pilot in 1986.

Edited by maroonlegions

3 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

So who is controlling  some of the unknown objects that have over time been recorded or witnessed by Naval and military intelligences.

Until you look so much deeper at this you will naturally have your views. And with all due respect i had similar views once too.

There have been so many very credible individuals, much more credible than you, me or any fitbaw punter on here who have the ET hypothesis as one possible explanation for those UPA cases that defy explanation. Military Black opps yes, but none can rule out at present that some could very well be a ET intelligence WAY ahead of us in technology and scientific understanding. 

What science has now found out regarding  quantum mechanics and the so call "string theory"  could be nothing to what other intelligences have advanced on.

And what of the theory that its always been about a "no contact" just "reconnaissance"  missions   of observations from a scientific study by some ET intelligences???  

Current science does not know everything, and is not the be all and end all of just what this galaxy , never mind the millions of other galaxies, contain. If say a civilisation has overcome space travel then what does that open them up to. 

Also when you have serious credible astrophysicists stating that there is every possibility that we could be experiencing living in a galactic hologram  , then anythung is fecking possible..   

Would you want to land here, seriously , feck that this world is beyond the pale .

Gravity: We might have been getting it wrong this whole time;

"Scientific progress is serendipitous," he says. "It often happens in a way that you don't expect. That kind of development is still very hard to achieve by remote exchange.

link; https://phys.org/

If you would like to read more about previous projects to record scientific data about UFOs/UAP, see this section on our Scientific Resources page.

Physics from UFO Data
http://www.itacomm.net/ph/phdata_e.pdf.

Project for a network of automatic stations for UFO monitoring
Teodorani M. (2015). Full Paper

Instrumented Monitoring of Aerial Anomalies - A Scientific Approach to the Investigation On Anomalous Atmospheric Light Phenomena
Teodorani M. (2014). CAIPAN 2014 Workshop – CNES-GEIPAN (Paris, France), 8-9 July 2014.    Full Paper   |   (Presentation Slides)

Will leave the following quotes  below from very senior and powerful men from military to the head of the CIA.

1:“Behind the scenes, high-ranking Air Force officers are soberly concerned about UFOs. But through official secrecy and ridicule, many citizens are led to believe that unknown flying objects are nonsense.”
Former CIA Director, Roscoe Hillenkoetter, public statement, 1960. 

2:“My own present opinion, based on two years of careful study, is that UFOs are probably extraterrestrial devices engaged in something that might very tentatively be termed ‘surveillance’.”

Dr James McDonald before Congress, 1968.

3;“These UFOs are interplanetary devices systematically observing the Earth, either manned or under remote control, or both.”
“Information on UFOs, including sighting reports, has been and is still being officially withheld.”
Colonel Joseph J. Bryan III, founder member of the CIAs psychological warfare staff, advisor to NATO.

4:“This was no ordinary UFO. Scores of people saw it. It was no illusion, no deception, no imagination.”
Air MarshallAzim Daudpota, Zimbabwe speaking about a UFO sighting over the country in 1985.

5:“More than 10,000 sightings have been reported, the majority of which cannot be accounted for by any ‘scientific’ explanation, eg that they are hallucinations, the effects of light refraction, meteors, wheels falling from aeroplanes, and the like…. They have been tracked on radar screens… and the observed speeds have been as great as 9,000 mph. I am convinced that these objects do exist and they are not manufactured by any nation on earth. I can therefore see no alternative to accepting the theory that they come from an extraterrestrial source.”
Air Chief Marshall Lord Dowding, Commanding Officer of the RAF during WWII.

6:“I am convinced there was thought behind the thing’s manoeuvres.”
Lieutenant George Gorman, F51 pilot after being in a 30 minute dogfight with a small UFO in 1948.

7;“UFOs are real and they may come from outer space…photographs and various materials show scientifically that there are more advanced people piloting the saucers and motherships.”
General Kanshi Ishikawa, Chief of Air Staff, 1967.

8;“Air Force interceptors still pursue UFOs as a matter of national security to this country and to determine technical aspects involved.”
Major General Joe W. Kelly, 1957.

9;“It appears to be a metallic object...tremendous in size… directly ahead and slightly above… I am trying to close for a better look.”
Captain Thomas Mantell, USAF. These were his last words as he closed in on a UFO in 1948. Minutes later his plane was to crash and he was to lose his life.

10;“And don’t tell me they were reflections, I know they were solid objects.”
Lieutenant D. A Swimley, USAF in 1953 following the sighting of 8 UFOs that were confirmed on radar and witnessed numerous other people including commercial pilots and police officers.

11;“Headquarters wouldn't let us go after it and we played around a little bit. We got to watching how it made 90 degree turns at this high speed and everything. We knew it wasn’t a missile of any type, so then we confirmed it with the radar control station, and they kept following it, and then it crashed somewhere off between Texas and the Mexico border.”

“The Air Force has arrived at the conclusion that a certain number of anomalous phenomena has been produced in Belgian airspace. The numerous testimonies of ground observations….reinforced by the reports of the night March 30-31 (1990) have led us to face the hypothesis that a certain number of unauthorised aerial activities have taken place.

The day will undoubtedly come when the phenomenon will be observed with the technological means of detection and collection that won’t leave a single doubt about its origin.

This should lift a part of the veil that has covered the mystery for a long time; a mystery that continues to be present. But it exists, it is real, and that in itself is an important conclusion."
Colonel Wilfred De Brouwer, Chief of Operations for the Belgian Air Force in 1990 following a spate of sightings over the country witnessed by hundreds of people. Many of the sightings were confirmed on radar. 

And one of the best quotes for me is this one;

12;"It is impossible for any man-made machine to make a sudden appearance in front of a jumbo jet that is flying 910 kilometers per hour and to remain in steady formation paralleling our aircraft. ... Honestly, we were simply breath taken." 
Kenju Terauchi Japan Airlines pilot in 1986.

The thing is if all of what you're saying above there were to be adopted as the standard of evidence for anything at all then you have have just proven ghosts, leprechauns, bigfoot, loch ness monster, and countless more.

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The mighty bacteria does it again. It survives in outer space on the space station. 

They're resilient little buggers.

I read a few years ago that some microbes can survive inside a blast furnace.

6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'd bet they'd smash covid, easy! 

Edited by ri Alban

It's at least suggestive that panspermia can't be off the table. But still comes back to the same old thing. Biogenesis isn't going to occur on an asteroid. It still has to take place on a planet.

In origin of species Darwin made a prediction he had no way of proving but suggested that future biologists would prove him right. Within a decade or so of publication the scientific arguments were over regarding the basic theory that all life had evolved. Darwin was accepted to be correct on that.

But his further speculation that all life on earth had the same origin was disputed right up to the 1950's. Biologists were split on the Darwin speculation of one origin. Some arguing that they thought biogenesis had likely occurred on multiple occasions with all extant life descending from separate events.

Darwin argued that though he thought biogenesis would indeed occur more than once. Following any example taking a grip to become widespread any further examples would be quickly consumed by the already evolved existing life.

The argument was settled once and for all around a hundred years after the publication of origin. As Darwin predicted future biologists on discovering genes and DNA proved that all life on earth has a single common source.

Thus Darwin sent generations of American creationists into an apoplectic fit of denying indisputable reality and hating him for pointing out that reality. Regarding which I have a little personal anecdote.

My wife comes from a family of fundamentalists in which creationism was accepted truth. Who cares about reality when you have bronze age mythology. She doesn't believe in creationism but she did for many years right into adulthood.

n uncle of hers was a pastor who ended up pastoring in England for some years when there were many American bases in England during the cold war.

Her parents visited the UK one time and met up with him. He took them to visit Westminster Abbey where Darwin is buried within and where he amused them no end by deliberately walking on Darwins grave but no others. So much for Christian respect.

Incidentally only one grave within Westminster Abbey is roped off with no one being allowed to walk on it. That's the grave of the unknown warrior.

800px-Tomb_of_the_Unknown_Warrior_-_West

AlphonseCapone
On 06/09/2020 at 13:07, maroonlegions said:

Did life on Earth start in space? Study finds evidence of panspermia;

We could be aliens...:kirk:..

A new study from Japanese researchers confirms the possibility of panspermia, the possible spread of life throughout the universe via microbes that attach themselves to space bodies. The scientists showed that bacteria on the outside of the International Space Station can survive in space for years. The team also concluded that the Deinococcus radiodurans bacteria used in the experiment could even make the journey from Earth to Mars, hinting at the likelihood of our own extraterrestrial beginnings.

Panspermia: Research confirms that life can be spread by space-faring microbes

Are we alone??... like feck we are...:greggy:

It's hard enough getting some racists to believe we all descended from Africa. Can't imagine how they'll react to be being told we're all from outer space! 

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'd bet they'd smash covid, easy! 

Wouldn't count on it. As hard as bacteria are, there are quite a few viruses that can take some of them down. It used to be a massive area of research before antibiotics came along. Might make a resurgence since humans have managed to mess that up too. 

19 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Cillit Bang will zap them.  Just ask Barry Scott.

Interesting ..

"In a surprising twist, scientists at MIT, Cardiff University, and elsewhere have observed what may be signs of life in the clouds of closer planetary neighbor, Venus."

"The astronomers, led by Jane Greaves of Cardiff University, detected in Venus’ atmosphere a spectral fingerprint, or light-based signature, of phosphine. MIT scientists have previously shown that if this stinky, poisonous gas were ever detected on a rocky, terrestrial planet, it could only be produced by a living organism there. The researchers made the detection using the James Clerk Maxwell Telescope (JCMT) in Hawaii, and the Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA) observatory in Chile."

‘I was very surprised - stunned, in fact’: International team of scientists finds evidence of potential life — a gas called phosphine that indicates microbes — on planet Venus.

Edited by maroonlegions

19 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Interesting ..

"In a surprising twist, scientists at MIT, Cardiff University, and elsewhere have observed what may be signs of life in the clouds of closer planetary neighbor, Venus."

"The astronomers, led by Jane Greaves of Cardiff University, detected in Venus’ atmosphere a spectral fingerprint, or light-based signature, of phosphine. MIT scientists have previously shown that if this stinky, poisonous gas were ever detected on a rocky, terrestrial planet, it could only be produced by a living organism there. The researchers made the detection using the James Clerk Maxwell Telescope (JCMT) in Hawaii, and the Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA) observatory in Chile."

‘I was very surprised - stunned, in fact’: International team of scientists finds evidence of potential life — a gas called phosphine that indicates microbes — on planet Venus.

I seen the news. So what  lives on Venus, exactly. Where  if a human being landed on the planet, the conditions would squash them like a tomato in a vice. 

Edited by ri Alban

A high chance of organisms living in Venus's clouds? Maybe there are floating cities in bubbles and an Earth probe will make them aware of our own awakening and invite some unwanted attention.

Either way, it's a nice reminder that there's a whole wonder above us when all we seem to do these days is stare downwards.

40 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I seen the news. So what  lives on Venus, exactly. Where  if a human being landed on the planet, the conditions would squash them like a tomato in a vice. 

Why you asking me what lives on Venus.

They think they have discovered "phosphine" IN THE CLOUDS ABOVE VENUS.  

Did you actually read the articule, looks like you did not.

Ok i will spoon feed you just this once .

Just stick to your SNP stuff..

Ok here is another link. 

"The Royal Astronomical Society has announced the discovery of phosphine gas in the clouds above #Venus.
The foul-smelling gas is found here on Earth, though typically only deep in swamps and bogs, the bowels of certain animals. It cannot be produced any other way (that we know of) except by these extremophile bacteria and microbes; creatures who, as the name suggests, thrive in extreme environments."

Edited by maroonlegions

42 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The gravity on Venus is about 90% of the gravity here on Earth.

This universe is getting stranger, no doubt about it ,and the so called "no alls" are in time ,in for one big wake up call. 

“This could be the beginning of a scientific revolution,” Munich Centre for Mathematical Philosophy mathematician Johannes Kleiner told the magazine."

The model, known as Integrated Information Theory (IIT), has long been controversial because it comes with an unusual quirk. When applied to non-living things like machines, subatomic particles, and even the universe, it claims that they too experience consciousness, New Scientist reports.

50 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yes no ones is disputing that. But my post was NOT about the surface of Venus.

It was about the gas clouds ABOVE Venus. Surely it aint that hard to understand.

Not even gonna pretend I'm close to understanding any of this but there seems to be some suggestion the simulation theory may be credible. 

4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Not even gonna pretend I'm close to understanding any of this but there seems to be some suggestion the simulation theory may be credible. 

Hope so. Hope i'm 'The One'. Trump is most likely the traitor Cypher.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

The pressure isn't. The atmosphere would squash you

Edited by ri Alban

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

The pressure isn't. 

But that pressure is created by the weight of the atmosphere. That weight doesn't exist if you're high up in the atmosphere. What's being suggested is that there are microbes floating high up. 

In addition life has been found in the very deep oceans where there is an enormous pressure. Even in high temperature environments around deep cracks in the ocean bed where lava is flowing out.

It's an extraordinary possibility - the idea that living organisms are floating in the clouds of Planet Venus. But this is what astronomers are now considering after detecting a gas in the atmosphere they can't explain.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54133538

5 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Interesting ..

If this finding is ever confirmed as being extraterrestrial life, even a very primitive form, it will be a monumental moment in human history.  But let's wait and see.  It could very well be another false alarm.

I remember when pulsars were discovered in the 60s.  The radio signals from them were so regular that they were initially called LGMs ... Little Green Men. :biggrin:

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

If this finding is ever confirmed as being extraterrestrial life, even a very primitive form, it will be a monumental moment in human history.  But let's wait and see.  It could very well be another false alarm.

I remember when pulsars were discovered in the 60s.  The radio signals from them were so regular that they were initially called LGMs ... Little Green Men. :biggrin:

Titan is the best bet, I think. But hey Mars may eventual show some life or evidence we originally came from there. Humans may actually be the little green men we've always dreamt about. 

Fun fact about Venus, it's the only planet in the Solar System which rotates in the opposite direction to it's orbital motion. If you could look down on the Solar System from above the planets would all be seen to be orbiting the Sun in an anti clockwise direction. And all but Venus rotating in that same direction.

This is because the gas/dust cloud the Solar System formed out of was rotating in that direction as it collapsed. The Sun and the planets simply continued spinning in that same direction and in the case of the planets ultimately orbiting the Sun in that direction.

This makes Venus a puzzle. It had to have been spinning in the same direction as everything else. But is now spinning in the opposite direction.

The best guess I have seen at how this could happen was a collision with a planetoid as the Solar System was shaking out and the planets clearing their orbits of remaining debris and proto planets.

And that in fact is our definition of a planet. An object above a certain size, bigger than an asteroid, which has cleared it's orbital neighbourhood of debris.

Which is why Pluto lost planetary status, it has not cleared it's orbit and in fact is one of a host of Kuiper belt objects. In addition our very own moon is larger than Pluto.

It's thought that some of the moons of the gas giants may have originated in the Kuiper belt.

On 08/09/2020 at 07:12, Maple Leaf said:

It certainly does.  The implications of alien DNA being similar to terrestrial DNA are staggering.

What a staggering coincidence that less than a week after we discussed the staggering implications of such a discovery a possible bio signature is discovered on Venus.

I'm presuming there will soon be frantic activity to organise a probe taking place. A race to be the first to possibly confirm one of the most important discoveries in human history.

If it's real I hope it isn't identical to Earth DNA. I want to see evidence of a separate abiogenesis event from that which occurred on Earth . That would be really staggering.

If that were the case we could probably begin to assume life is everywhere and likely to exist in more of the Solar System planets as well as those around other stars.

But if that's the case as the video I posted above discusses it may present a disappointing reality. Where is everybody? As they say it could suggest life is common but intelligent life never survives long enough to communicate or proliferate.

Edited by JFK-1

AlphonseCapone
15 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I consider myself fairly science literate and I read the abstract. I felt my brain overheat and I understood nothing.

13 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I consider myself fairly science literate and I read the abstract. I felt my brain overheat and I understood nothing.

When absorbing boundary conditions are used to evaporate a black hole in AdS/CFT, we show that there is a phase transition in the location of the quantum Ryu-Takayanagi surface, at precisely the Page time. The new RT surface lies slightly inside the event horizon, at an infalling time approximately the scrambling time β/2π log SBH into the past. We can immediately derive the Page curve, using the Ryu-Takayanagi formula, and the Hayden-Preskill decoding criterion, using entanglement wedge reconstruction. Because part of the interior is now encoded in the early Hawking radiation, the decreasing entanglement entropy of the black hole is exactly consistent with the semiclassical bulk entanglement of the late-time Hawking modes, despite the absence of a firewall.

By studying the entanglement wedge of highly mixed states, we can understand the state dependence of the interior reconstructions. A crucial role is played by the existence of tiny, non-perturbative errors in entanglement wedge reconstruction. Directly after the Page time, interior operators can only be reconstructed from the Hawking radiation if the initial state of the black hole is known. As the black hole continues to evaporate, reconstructions become possible that simultaneously work for a large class of initial states. Using similar techniques, we generalise Hayden-Preskill to show how the amount of Hawking radiation required to reconstruct a large diary, thrown into the black hole, depends on both the energy and the entropy of the diary. Finally we argue that, before the evaporation begins, a single, state- independent interior reconstruction exists for any code space of microstates with entropy strictly less than the Bekenstein-Hawking entropy, and show that this is sufficient state dependence to avoid the AMPSS typical-state firewall PARADOX.

Aye nae bother. 

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Titan is the best bet, I think. But hey Mars may eventual show some life or evidence we originally came from there. Humans may actually be the little green men we've always dreamt about. 

I agree about the oceans of Titan, and the fact that Mars shows evidence of water flow suggests that something could be there too.

We already have some little green men in the north side of Edinburgh, but I wouldn't exactly call them human. :wink:

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

But if that's the case as the video I posted above discusses it may present a disappointing reality. Where is everybody? As they say it could suggest life is common but intelligent life never survives long enough to communicate or proliferate.

That's my guess.

Look at the road homo sapiens is going down.  We're at the start of the Sixth Extinction, and things are going to get worse, a lot worse, before they get better.  Once we've destroyed life in the oceans (already started), and once we've destroyed the rain forests (already started) we're going to have the challenge of surviving on 1/3 of today's oxygen.  I can't see there being much interest in extraterrestrial life if we're struggling to avoid extinction.

EDIT:  I'm a laugh a minute at a house party!!!

35 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I agree about the oceans of Titan, and the fact that Mars shows evidence of water flow suggests that something could be there too.

We already have some little green men in the north side of Edinburgh, but I wouldn't exactly call them human. :wink:

:fth:

:rudiyas:

Edited by ri Alban