We are not alone.... Maybe.

Greedy Jambo

I watched this a while ago and i've just watched it again. 

I find it hard to believe

but i also find it hard to believe that all these guys are lying. 

Take a look for yourself, Netflix. 

p14059673_v_v8_ab.jpg

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• Unknown user

• Ulysses

• WorldChampions1902

2 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

I watched this a while ago and i've just watched it again. 

I find it hard to believe

but i also find it hard to believe that all these guys are lying. 

Take a look for yourself, Netflix. 

p14059673_v_v8_ab.jpg

Maybe not lying, but possibly misled or misguided.

Some hard tangible evidence would be nice rather than grainy, blurry pictures and anecdotal stories.

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

https://www.sciencealert.com/that-newly-discovered-repeating-frb-has-been-tracked-to-a-really-puzzling-origin

Read a comment about this earlier that it was just Aliens congratulating Phillip Schofield for coming out

The story talks about unexplained Fast Radio Bursts from a galaxy 500 million light years away.  Even if those FRBs are from an intelligent species, it doesn't matter as the source is incredibly far away. If they were intelligent then, they are almost certainly extinct now.

500 million years ago, the most advanced creatures on earth were tiny and didn't even possess a spine. 

16 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The story talks about unexplained Fast Radio Bursts from a galaxy 500 million light years away.  Even if those FRBs are from an intelligent species, it doesn't matter as the source is incredibly far away. If they were intelligent then, they are almost certainly extinct now.

500 million years ago, the most advanced creatures on earth were tiny and didn't even possess a spine. 

Na, a Tesla could make it there in a couple of days.

Not convinced we will ever be visited by intelligent life. I honestly reckon that intelligent life is incredibly rare and any other life form with any degree of intelligence is so far away that ability to reach it would be impossible. 

23 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not convinced we will ever be visited by intelligent life. I honestly reckon that intelligent life is incredibly rare and any other life form with any degree of intelligence is so far away that ability to reach it would be impossible. 

Plus we are complete arseholes, who’d want to meet us? Probably sit in the dark in their space ships pretending they’re not in when we come knocking. They’ll have their very own “Arsehole Neighbours” thread. 

7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I had no idea hibs were around then, the things you learn on kickback.

Edited by whodanny

There is life out there but, like us, will have to see it out in splendid isolation.

Nearest star to us is just over 4 Light Years away. That’s travelling at 35,000 mph would take....72,000 years !

😎

22 minutes ago, Boab said:

There is life out there but, like us, will have to see it out in splendid isolation.

Nearest star to us is just over 4 Light Years away. That’s travelling at 35,000 mph would take....72,000 years !

😎

A pedant writes:  The nearest star to us is just over 8 light-minutes away.....😉

55 minutes ago, whodanny said:

I had no idea hibs were around then, the things you learn on kickback.

You'll have heard of Area 5-1 surely?

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, Boab said:

😎

Space is ****ing mind boggling. I love reading about it but it starts to get a bit overwhelming I think. There was a picture taken a few years ago that was a just a fraction of the sky and the amount of planets and stars and systems and universes in it just blew my mind. There simply must be life out there it’s literally impossible for there not to be but whether it’s all too far away or not is another thing. We need to learn how to use worm holes and stuff. That’s ****ing terrifying as well :lol: 

Its one of things that messes with my mind in that I’m going to be dead in a few more decades if I’m lucky and I’ll never know where this all goes. If we get off here in time and explore new worlds etc. 

kxkU7k8nrCvcR8l6pF2TLrEQhhjnVSLSrzc8bfjj

I've seen and read a lot of stuff on space but this is still the most humbling image I've seen. We are nothing. If aliens found us then fair play to them but there's probably more interesting stuff out there for them. 

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

kxkU7k8nrCvcR8l6pF2TLrEQhhjnVSLSrzc8bfjj

I've seen and read a lot of stuff on space but this is still the most humbling image I've seen. We are nothing. If aliens found us then fair play to them but there's probably more interesting stuff out there for them. 

When I used to take a smoke years ago I loved watching stuff about it. You’re mind goes places on weed that it just doesnt normally. 
Truly mind boggling. Like you say we’re just nothing. 

The most sensible approach for humans is to assume that there is life elsewhere rather than the other way around. The odds are stacked in favour of their being something out there.

The chances of us ever finding out though are pretty much 0.

33 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Space is ****ing mind boggling. I love reading about it but it starts to get a bit overwhelming I think. There was a picture taken a few years ago that was a just a fraction of the sky and the amount of planets and stars and systems and universes in it just blew my mind. There simply must be life out there it’s literally impossible for there not to be but whether it’s all too far away or not is another thing. We need to learn how to use worm holes and stuff. That’s ****ing terrifying as well :lol: 

Its one of things that messes with my mind in that I’m going to be dead in a few more decades if I’m lucky and I’ll never know where this all goes. If we get off here in time and explore new worlds etc. 

Scary indeed. Somewhere over the vast length of time, Someone out there  must have wondered the same but never had the time or technology to find out.

Fascinating but depressing !

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, gjcc said:

Plus we are complete arseholes, who’d want to meet us? Probably sit in the dark in their space ships pretending they’re not in when we come knocking. They’ll have their very own “Arsehole Neighbours” thread. 

This.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

It was their attack signal, Schofields their leader. 

We're all getting bummed to death. 

:nojustno:

Not again? :(

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Would that be where they left the Hubble telescope looking at a 'dark spot' (presumed empty) space in the sky for 100 hours and it came back with this (all of the blobs being galaxies):

5a1f1a2c3dbef482008b8ec4?width=1100&form

Edited by Ray Gin

Another question that needs to be asked is if there is intelligent life di we REALLY want to meet it? Stephen Hawking reckoned they would most likely be hostile and only interested in its resources and space. We only need to look at our own species for evidence of that trait in intelligent life. 

I I think we should leave well alone and concentrate our own efforts to build colonies on other planters ourselves and protect the only habitable planet we have ATM

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Would that be where they left the Hubble telescope looking at a 'dark spot' (presumed empty) space in the sky for 100 hours and it came back with this (all of the blobs being galaxies):

That’s the one yeah. Incredible. 
Mind blown. 

That'll be the one, definitely. Astonishing stuff. Doesn't even make sense. 

jack D and coke

Yeah it hurts my brain to think about the sheer scale of it.

It starts to overwhelm my brain when I think about it for too long. The explanations and scale just doesn’t seem real. How can anything possibly be this big...how can it have no end?😳

11 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

40 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Another question that needs to be asked is if there is intelligent life di we REALLY want to meet it? Stephen Hawking reckoned they would most likely be hostile and only interested in its resources and space. We only need to look at our own species for evidence of that trait in intelligent life. 

I I think we should leave well alone and concentrate our own efforts to build colonies on other planters ourselves and protect the only habitable planet we have ATM

I remember reading a thing Patrick Moore wrote about potentially contacting / being contacted by aliens.  His take on it was they would be so far advanced they would wait until we could ‘take it’ rather than freak out our civilisation.  He also reckoned they would be peaceful or at least not intentionally hostile since, if they were aggressive and with highly advanced technology they would have destroyed themselves before they developed interstellar travel.

11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

I'm more of the thinking we might have been but in ancient civilization times as I can't get my head round how they were able to build such structures and how we can't really figure out how they managed to do it.I think the Mayan God's might well have really just been visitors once.

Notice I say might in everything as I'm not totally convinced but anyway I think we have long been considered as a non threat and not worth bothering about if we have been visited and if they ever need our resources they will just come and take one day 😂

What if we're the most intelligent and advanced life in the Universe?

In the future, will we be abducting farmhand Hicks from other worlds, assisting them a la Star Trek or blowing them to smithereens?

Of course the Great Filter theory suggests we'll destroy ourselves before we become interstellar anyway.

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

I'm more of the thinking we might have been but in ancient civilization times as I can't get my head round how they were able to build such structures and how we can't really figure out how they managed to do it.I think the Mayan God's might well have really just been visitors once.

Notice I say might in everything as I'm not totally convinced but anyway I think we have long been considered as a non threat and not worth bothering about if we have been visited and if they ever need our resources they will just come and take one day 😂

That's the sort of stuff the Ancient Aliens documentaries on The History Channel covers. You get some of them on YouTube if you haven't watched them, and of course if your're interested.  It all sounds reasonably plausible, or at least it did until they started talking about stuff like alien involvement in the wild west and the American Civil War and Nazi Germany experimenting with alien technology.

38 minutes ago, Costanza said:

What if we're the most intelligent and advanced life in the Universe?

In the future, will we be abducting farmhand Hicks from other worlds, assisting them a la Star Trek or blowing them to smithereens?

Of course the Great Filter theory suggests we'll destroy ourselves before we become interstellar anyway.

Bagsy not doing the anal probes. 

30 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

That's the sort of stuff the Ancient Aliens documentaries on The History Channel covers. You get some of them on YouTube if you haven't watched them, and of course if your're interested.  It all sounds reasonably plausible, or at least it did until they started talking about stuff like alien involvement in the wild west and the American Civil War and Nazi Germany experimenting with alien technology.

Had watched a few years ago never seen the US or Nazi Germany ones though 😂

I've always believed just on pure logic. There's an infinite number of Galaxy's in the Universe, there's probably 300milion planets minimum in a Galaxy. There is probably multiple universes.

We can't be the only lucky ones to have a planet based in the "goldilocks zone". There has to be others.

31 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I've always believed just on pure logic. There's an infinite number of Galaxy's in the Universe, there's probably 300milion planets minimum in a Galaxy. There is probably multiple universes.

We can't be the only lucky ones to have a planet based in the "goldilocks zone". There has to be others.

I've always thought the same, but having looked into how utterly perfect everything had to fall into place for life to exist, not just on earth but through events on nearby planets, and even with those conditions how infinitesimally small the chance of life developing is, I'm not as convinced as I'd like to be. There's every chance we're the only ones. 

wentworth jambo
7 hours ago, Boab said:

😎

If you think that less than 100 years ago, travelling in a plane at 500 mph seemed as foreign to our forebears as travelling faster than light speed seems to us now. I'm not saying that in 100 years we will be travelling faster than light, but we cannot constrain our thoughts by the physcial constraints of today....the bigger question has to be, why hasn't another further advanced civilisation made contact ? A good point raised further up that if, they are that advanced, they may choose the right moment so as not to "freak out" our civilisation. The one certainty is that as time advances, we will achieve interstellar travel - either with technology that cuts the journey time or by mastering stasis / "hibernation" during travel.

alwaysthereinspirit
6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I think you could live another few centuries and still not have any real answers.

One fact for sure though is that Jack D is better with ginger.

Just now, wentworth jambo said:

If you think that less than 100 years ago, travelling in a plane at 500 mph seemed as foreign to our forebears as travelling faster than light speed seems to us now. I'm not saying that in 100 years we will be travelling faster than light, but we cannot constrain our thoughts by the physcial constraints of today....the bigger question has to be, why hasn't another further advanced civilisation made contact ? A good point raised further up that if, they are that advanced, they may choose the right moment so as not to "freak out" our civilisation. The one certainty is that as time advances, we will achieve interstellar travel - either with technology that cuts the journey time or by mastering stasis / "hibernation" during travel.

Can’t see it. The distances are so vast that it’s an impossibility imo. We may receive some kind of signal. Problem is, it might have been sent a million years ago.

Mind boggling indeed.

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I think you could live another few centuries and still not have any real answers.

One fact for sure though is that Jack D is better with ginger.

Ginger beer?

wentworth jambo
3 minutes ago, Boab said:

Can’t see it. The distances are so vast that it’s an impossibility imo. We may receive some kind of signal. Problem is, it might have been sent a million years ago.

Mind boggling indeed.

Agree 1 million light years is a huge distance in any terms, however, it feels huge due to current constraints i.e. never happening if we travel at 35k mph. If wormhole travel is perfected for example, in theory that huge distance / time, could be crossed in a far shorter period. We know at present that theory supports wormholes however don;t see it happening any time soon - but it absolutely could in the future. I'm with you though mate, it is mind boggling ! 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

There could well be countless planets in the Goldilocks zone, and those planets might be teeming with life.  But what kind of life could it be?

Our planet is 5 billion years old. For the first billion years there was no life.  For the next 3 billion years, life consisted only of single-cell organisms.  It then took a remarkable series of random events, including at least 5 mass extinctions of species, for an odd species of hairless apes called homo sapiens  to evolve. 

Even if there are many planets where life has evolved, the chances of there being a species similar to ourselves is vanishingly small ... with apologies to sci-fi lovers! 

alwaysthereinspirit
10 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Agree 1 million light years is a huge distance in any terms, however, it feels huge due to current constraints i.e. never happening if we travel at 35k mph. If wormhole travel is perfected for example, in theory that huge distance / time, could be crossed in a far shorter period. We know at present that theory supports wormholes however don;t see it happening any time soon - but it absolutely could in the future. I'm with you though mate, it is mind boggling ! 

1 light year is supposedly 6 TRILLION miles. Thats a crazy distance. Add that to your 1 million light years and it starts to sound impossible. 35,000mph is less than a million miles travelled in a day.

AlphonseCapone
17 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

There could well be countless planets in the Goldilocks zone, and those planets might be teeming with life.  But what kind of life could it be?

Our planet is 5 billion years old. For the first billion years there was no life.  For the next 3 billion years, life consisted only of single-cell organisms.  It then took a remarkable series of random events, including at least 5 mass extinctions of species, for an odd species of hairless apes called homo sapiens  to evolve. 

Even if there are many planets where life has evolved, the chances of there being a species similar to ourselves is vanishingly small ... with apologies to sci-fi lovers! 

All very true. But the problem is when we think about these things we are constrained by our own knowledge and experiences. Who is to say that intelligent life needs to be carbon based? There might be things out there we can't even comprehend currently.