Queensferry crossing

Hairdryer

The Old Tolbooth
11 hours ago, FWJ said:

Is it a problem with cable-stayed bridges in general?  AFAIK the Kessock Bridge hasn’t had this problem (or the Erskine)

Funny that it didn’t happen on the FRB either - I know the cables are on the outside of the FRB - but the wind could still blow ice off and onto the carriageway.

Just seems strange all round.

The FRB has been closed a few times due to the same problem mate, I know because I live in Rosyth and have been inconvenienced by this a few times over the last 12 years or so, also, the Severn Bridge is closed today as well due to bad weather. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• jack D and coke

• Boris

• Pans Jambo

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

The FRB has been closed a few times due to the same problem mate, I know because I live in Rosyth and have been inconvenienced by this a few times over the last 12 years or so, also, the Severn Bridge is closed today as well due to bad weather. 

FRB was closed for icing once in 50 years, and only for a short period.

other than 2015, when was FRB closed for two days or more........

I blame the SNP for the snow & the wind chill.
I also blame the SNP for the lack of snow for the skiing fratenity. 
I also blame them for the high winds and not putting folks lives at risk on the ferries. I think folks lives should be put at risk in 60mph + seas!

Its a bloody disgrace!

The Boris Bridge will cure all that though!

6 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Yes so if it’s easy in the morning but mobbed at night ? All the congestion can’t be from people out of town in that case ?

with the move to electric cars and zero road tax it won’t be long til the uk government moves to make up the shortfall which will be based on pay per mile and time of day. 

Well the traffic into town in the morning is bad and the traffic away from town at night is bad so a large proportion has to be from those that stay outside of Edinburgh. 

husref musemic
6 hours ago, Herbert said:

Well the traffic into town in the morning is bad and the traffic away from town at night is bad so a large proportion has to be from those that stay outside of Edinburgh. 

no, it's the approach roads and two lane bridge that slow everything. once past it moves freely.

28 minutes ago, husref musemic said:

no, it's the approach roads and two lane bridge that slow everything. once past it moves freely.

Aye,until it reaches Queensferry road,Corstorphine or the Calder road.Then it’s gridlock for all.The congestion in Edinburgh is largely due to traffic coming over the bridge,along the M8 or from the city bypass.

I usually drive over from Kirkcaldy to get to work in Edinburgh, though obviously have been on the train yesterday and today.

Normally I'll leave the house about 6:40 and get to my work in Edinburgh before 8am.

Leave at 4pm and home by back of 5.

If I leave later in the morning I then get caught up in the Edinburgh traffic, folk doing the school run etc.  To say the congestion is solely caused by commuters from Fife, West Lothian etc is a bit blinkered, imo.

That said, if the trains were cheaper, and had the capacity to seat everyone, then I'd happily use them more often.

For the record, born and bred Edinburgher.  Moved 4 years ago and have to say that Fife is a wonderful part of the world, friendly people, and I don't really miss Edinburgh that much at all.

30 minutes ago, Boris said:

I usually drive over from Kirkcaldy to get to work in Edinburgh, though obviously have been on the train yesterday and today.

Normally I'll leave the house about 6:40 and get to my work in Edinburgh before 8am.

Leave at 4pm and home by back of 5.

If I leave later in the morning I then get caught up in the Edinburgh traffic, folk doing the school run etc.  To say the congestion is solely caused by commuters from Fife, West Lothian etc is a bit blinkered, imo.

That said, if the trains were cheaper, and had the capacity to seat everyone, then I'd happily use them more often.

For the record, born and bred Edinburgher.  Moved 4 years ago and have to say that Fife is a wonderful part of the world, friendly people, and I don't really miss Edinburgh that much at all.

Sounds like you are well organised with your travel plans.

My uncle has a holiday home in cellardyke , love going there for wee holidays.

Space Mackerel
18 hours ago, Pistol1874 said:

I dared criticising the SNP for this development on Twitter and was informed by the mob that this is the first time that the bridge had been shut since it was opened.

Leaving aside the questions of whether it should have been shut for similar previously and why they still waited for ice to fall (and the risks which come with that), before they did close it, it does seem a problem with similar designs to this in other places too(less of a problem on the old one for whatever reason).

Does make you wonder why they chose this design and also, should we suffer less mild winters, how much of an issue this could become.

Not being a civil engineer, I know not the answer to either of those questions.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/archive/bridge-brilliance-falling-ice-10-08-2016/

jack D and coke

The Facebook and Twitter threads about this are so typical of this country now. I honestly think the unionist mps and supporters would be rejoicing if they’d kept the bridge open and someone had actually been killed. The same way these ghouls made mileage out some kid dying at that new hospital it’s a proper sad state of affairs. You’d think Nicola Sturgeon actually designed and built the ****ing thing herself. 

23 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The Facebook and Twitter threads about this are so typical of this country now. I honestly think the unionist mps and supporters would be rejoicing if they’d kept the bridge open and someone had actually been killed. The same way these ghouls made mileage out some kid dying at that new hospital it’s a proper sad state of affairs. You’d think Nicola Sturgeon actually designed and built the ****ing thing herself. 

As much as I despise Boris Johnson and all that he represents, it's hard to criticise a government for a change in weather.

That said, if shown to be negligent in preparation or response, then fill your boots.

So, equally, like you, I find the criticism of the Scottish Government quite bizarre really, but they have to learn lessons etc.

39 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Sounds like you are well organised with your travel plans.

My uncle has a holiday home in cellardyke , love going there for wee holidays.

Try to be H!

Cellardyke/Anstruther is bonny.

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Boris said:

As much as I despise Boris Johnson and all that he represents, it's hard to criticise a government for a change in weather.

That said, if shown to be negligent in preparation or response, then fill your boots.

So, equally, like you, I find the criticism of the Scottish Government quite bizarre really, but they have to learn lessons etc.

Of course they need to learn lessons of course they do but it’s the glee and the rejoicing every single time they have something to jump on. Something to hammer home how shit we are at everything. 
It really does my head in. 

5 minutes ago, Boris said:

I understand all that but what can the SNP do to stop ice and snow building up on hundreds of cables that are several hundreds of metres long then the sun melting said ice/snow and gravity doing its thing?

Other than closing the bridge for safety reasons I am not sure what lessons can be learned.

Wind is a different factor as they have barriers in place to cope with most winds but I am sure if an 85mph wind were to appear then all bridges would be closed.

10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Of course they need to learn lessons of course they do but it’s the glee and the rejoicing every single time they have something to jump on. Something to hammer home how shit we are at everything. 

Totally agree with you on that!

7 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I understand all that but what can the SNP do to stop ice and snow building up on hundreds of cables that are several hundreds of metres long then the sun melting said ice/snow and gravity doing its thing?

Other than closing the bridge for safety reasons I am not sure what lessons can be learned.

Wind is a different factor as they have barriers in place to cope with most winds but I am sure if an 85mph wind were to appear then all bridges would be closed.

I wasn't saying that at this point in time there was much that could be done.  If anything I was saying that blaming the Govt is irrational.

6 minutes ago, Boris said:

Totally agree with you on that!

I wasn't saying that at this point in time there was much that could be done.  If anything I was saying that blaming the Govt is irrational.

Yeah I didnt mean that to sound like I was having a go. Some folks on here blame the SNP if the weather changes! Incredible.

15 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Maybe people are getting tired of them making outlandish claims to woo the public before inevitable disappointment.

"Outlandish"?

Point to me where they said the bridge "would never close"?

Fairly sure they said it would close a lot less due to wind because of the side barriers. Think that has proven to be correct.

Nicola controlling the weather now?

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

"Outlandish"?

Point to me where they said the bridge "would never close"?

Fairly sure they said it would close a lot less due to wind because of the side barriers. Think that has proven to be correct.

Nicola controlling the weather now?

Anyone with half a brain would know that your post blaming the SNP was in jest.

Some are just to thick to see that.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Anyone with half a brain would know that your post blaming the SNP was in jest.

Some are just to thick to see that.

Not enough of these mate: 

:vrface:

Space Mackerel
55 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The Forth Road Bridge or Queensferry Crossing Facebook page is full of utter roasters. 

They must all be mentally unbalanced in some shape or form. 

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

The Forth Road Bridge or Queensferry Crossing Facebook page is full of utter roasters. 

:laugh:

46 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Maybe people are getting tired of them making outlandish claims to woo the public before inevitable disappointment.

:rofl:

Yet still the public elect and re-elect them time after time.

If you think this is disappointing, wait until all of those hoodwinked by Boris Johnson et al experience the inevitable disappointment.

Even Ruth Davidson could see the writing on the wall so she deserted the ship!

8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Isn’t it one of few things built recently that didn’t use PFI, had no help from the U.K. Governement (came out the block grant) and came in well under budget too? 

Unlike the trams project bud. utter farce.

Ainsley Harriott
17 minutes ago, Boris said:

:rofl:

Yet still the public elect and re-elect them time after time.

If you think this is disappointing, wait until all of those hoodwinked by Boris Johnson et al experience the inevitable disappointment.

Even Ruth Davidson could see the writing on the wall so she deserted the ship!

I know sad reflection on how easily manipulated scottish people are.

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Unlike the trams project bud. utter farce.

And the Scottish Parliament. Neither under SNP government. SNP finished the tram service yes but weren’t around at the inception. It was a Labour, conservative, Lib Dem coalition council. 
Government jobs all go way over in general. 
Watch what happens to this HS2. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I know sad reflection on how easily manipulated scottish people are.

That’s a two way street surely? Just because I disagree with you doesn’t make either of us right. 

43 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Everyone is mentally unbalanced because of facebook. 

Space Mackerel
22 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Isn’t it one of few things built recently that didn’t use PFI, had no help from the U.K. Governement (came out the block grant) and came in well under budget too? 

This very true. That’s why Unionists are utterly seething at it. 

They’re completely unbalanced individuals. 

Space Mackerel
4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Everyone is mentally unbalanced because of facebook. 

True also. I try and stay away from it as much as possible these days. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

This very true. That’s why Unionists are utterly seething at it. 

They’re completely unbalanced individuals. 

:laugh:

So people who support the SNP are defending what happened with the bridge and people who oppose the SNP are critical. Can they not just think for themselves?

Space Mackerel
4 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I doubt they were told that was an uncloseable bridge? Remember that time you said we would leave the UK and be  back in the EU within 5 years 😂😂😂😂

100 mph winds are enough to close it but most people with half a brain and a modicum of common sense would know that. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-weather-wind-speeds-would-17524602

12 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

So people who support the SNP are defending what happened with the bridge and people who oppose the SNP are critical. Can they not just think for themselves?

Folk thinking for themselves is old school. Now everyone's just told what to think by their little echo chambers on social media. 

2 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Yeah, I read that before posting.

Those bridges appear to be older than the QC and experienced icing issues and I believe were closed when icing sensors triggered a warning, rather than waiting until ice had started falling and had hit several vehicles.

At the very least, when choosing to build a similar bridge in a place where cold and wet temperatures feature periodically, it might have been expected that the sensors be fitted on the QC.
I know there are those who will condone all things SNP, as there are otherS who will criticise most that they do, the reality lies in the middle and it is reasonable, necessary in fact, to ask that responsibility is acknowledged by any and all governments to the extent that they err.

50 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

And the Scottish Parliament. Neither under SNP government. SNP finished the tram service yes but weren’t around at the inception. It was a Labour, conservative, Lib Dem coalition council. 
Government jobs all go way over in general. 
Watch what happens to this HS2. 

Think 100 billion has been quoted, thats just mad.

Edited by Harry Potter

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Think 100 billion has been quoted, that just mad.

Madness.

It may sound trivial but a couple who stay in Buckinghamshire are being kicked out of her house next month to help make way for this I would imagine there will be many more.

Space Mackerel
17 minutes ago, Pistol1874 said:

Yeah, I read that before posting.

Those bridges appear to be older than the QC and experienced icing issues and I believe were closed when icing sensors triggered a warning, rather than waiting until ice had started falling and had hit several vehicles.

At the very least, when choosing to build a similar bridge in a place where cold and wet temperatures feature periodically, it might have been expected that the sensors be fitted on the QC.
I know there are those who will condone all things SNP, as there are otherS who will criticise most that they do, the reality lies in the middle and it is reasonable, necessary in fact, to ask that responsibility is acknowledged by any and all governments to the extent that they err.

So basically every bridge in the world suffers from it and all the renowned experts in de-icing have yet to find a solution for this. 

Yet NS is responsible. 

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Think 100 billion has been quoted, thats just mad.

Watch it spiral way above that. Will the same people kick up such a fuss for something that we’re contributing enormously to that stops 250 miles short of our border? I’d doubt it tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

So basically every bridge in the world suffers from it and all the renowned experts in de-icing have yet to find a solution for this. 

Yet NS is responsible. 

Yeah, that’s what I said. 🤦🏻‍♂️