• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gordon Zola

• daveydal

• Diadora Van Basten

• Governor Tarkin

Diadora Van Basten
16 minutes ago, jamborich said:

You'll know my boy then played in the same team..hopefully Jackie pulls through this nightmare used to play golf with his dad and Ralph Callachan

I played with Jackie at Salvesen as well. He’s holding the cup up on Darren Cameron’s shoulders. I was cup tied so am the only player wearing a white training top.

6D870A7B-1370-43D3-81D9-809BCA4B2D97.jpeg

5 hours ago, jamborich said:

You'll know my boy then played in the same team..hopefully Jackie pulls through this nightmare used to play golf with his dad and Ralph Callachan

I may well do jamborich, Jackie left Salveson at a young age, maybe went to Hutchie? Cant honestly remember,  it is 30 odd years ago.

Tommy Harrison played at the same time for us, Kev Thomas too but pretty sure Jackie had left by then.

5 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I played with Jackie at Salvesen as well. He’s holding the cup up on Darren Cameron’s shoulders. I was cup tied so am the only player wearing a white training top.

Jeezo! Jimmy Ferg and Scott Jamieson at front 😂 I'm not in the pic, **** knows where I was 🥴

15 minutes ago, daveydal said:

Jeezo! Jimmy Ferg and Scott Jamieson at front, Scotty started as goalkeeper, remember him sitting against post as we beat Panda? 27-0 at St Joseph's primary. Fergie trained with me at Rangers out at riccarton 😂 I'm not in the pic, **** knows where I was 🥴

Selkirkhmfc1874
10 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Shit! I'm awaiting brain surgery. Hope he pulls through.

Wish you well with your surgery buddy! Hope goes well and you make speedy full recovery 

Mr God Awful Ugly

I hope young Jackie gets through this.

He was always as pleasant as could be and up for a bit of banter when he worked in Skippers.

9 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Wish you well with your surgery buddy! Hope goes well and you make speedy full recovery 

Thanks. I'm awaiting surgery to insert a shunt to drain a large build up of fluid which is contributing to other problems. His sounds much worse.

Punks No Deid
6 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Awake and speaking I believe but still early days.

Excellent, I survived a brain haemorrhage in 2003 so my thoughts and prayers are very much with him and his family at this time. 

18 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:I played with Jackie at Salvesen as well. He’s holding the cup up on Darren Cameron’s shoulders. I was cup tied so am the only player wearing a white training top.

Haha.  I trained with this team for a while before leaving for pastures new. I remember Jackie Snr turning up to training once at the patch of grass where the old Broomhouse School used to be. 

Scott Jamieson was a good friend of mine growing up in the Calders. We used to go to see the JTs as well as dossing about together in the scheme.  Very good player. Fine left peg and a tough guy. 

I knew Jimmy Ferguson through Scott as he went to Tynecastle High with him and I went to WHEC. Another good JT and from what I remember, a classy player in his youth days.  Is that not Chris Jackson there too?  

13 minutes ago, Punks No Deid said:

Excellent, I survived a brain haemorrhage in 2003 so my thoughts and prayers are very much with him and his family at this time. 

Well said mate.

Diadora Van Basten
3 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Haha.  I trained with this team for a while before leaving for pastures new. I remember Jackie Snr turning up to training once at the patch of grass where the old Broomhouse School used to be. 

Scott Jamieson was a good friend of mine growing up in the Calders. We used to go to see the JTs as well as dossing about together in the scheme.  Very good player. Fine left peg and a tough guy. 

I knew Jimmy Ferguson through Scott as he went to Tynecastle High with him and I went to WHEC. Another good JT and from what I remember, a classy player in his youth days.  Is that not Chris Jackson there too?  

Yes Chris Jackson who went on to play with Hibs with Lee Robertson who went on to play Dundee United on his shoulders.

On 11/02/2020 at 06:10, daveydal said:

I may well do jamborich, Jackie left Salveson at a young age, maybe went to Hutchie? Cant honestly remember,  it is 30 odd years ago.

Tommy Harrison played at the same time for us, Kev Thomas too but pretty sure Jackie had left by then.

Stevie Dick 

On 11/02/2020 at 23:06, Diadora Van Basten said:

Yes Chris Jackson who went on to play with Hibs with Lee Robertson who went on to play Dundee United on his shoulders.

Sure Lee Robertson played for Rangers 

Diadora Van Basten
20 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Sure Lee Robertson played for Rangers 

Your right I think I am getting mixed up with Anthony Smith.

WorldChampions1902

Absolutely shocked by this terrible news. Such a young man as well. His age and level of fitness will give him the best chance of a full recovery and my thoughts are with him and his family. 

On 10/02/2020 at 23:29, Diadora Van Basten said:

Is that you Brian?

Fergie

On 11/02/2020 at 05:13, daveydal said:

Jeezo! Jimmy Ferg and Scott Jamieson at front 😂 I'm not in the pic, **** knows where I was 🥴

Davey Dalglish (Smith), is that you?

Fergie

On 11/02/2020 at 18:06, Debut 4 said:

What's your name Debut 4? Will probably know you.

Fergie

On 11/02/2020 at 22:13, BarneyBattles said:

Did the Jimmy Ferguson mentioned work at standard life? Looks familiar albeit a wee laddie but if he was early 20s mid 90s looks the same guy. Good lad. 

all the best to Jackie, don’t know him but have known his brother Stevie since school. Not that that makes any difference but hopefully it all works out. 

Scott Fobister??

Jimmy

On 12/02/2020 at 23:40, jamborich said:

Stevie Dick 

How's Stevie doing Richard? Last time I saw him was up the Mill a few years back. See him in the passing when i'm on the bus in Gorgie/Dalry.

Jimmy Ferguson

On 13/02/2020 at 14:56, Rudy T said:

He did! Think he ended up in Norway. 

You're right.

Lee stayed with Rangers all the way through, while everyone else fell away. Couldn't get into the first team as Walter Smith had Gazza, Laudrup, McCoist, Hately etc!!

His dad Bobby, decided to make up a portfolio of Lee and send it to every club around Europe. Think Molde or Brann Bergen took him over and he stayed there for years! Very good player.

On 10/02/2020 at 19:36, chester copperpot said:

Played with Jackie at school and for Edina under 15's. We won the Scottish cup that year and still regard him as a friend even now.

Not been in touch with him for a few years now but this news has been pretty devastating.

2-1 you beat us in the final at Dalkeith, Chester, if i remember rightly? One of the worst games I remember from a personal point of view!

Fingers crossed for Jackie. Hopefully he is on the mend.

chester copperpot
57 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

2-1 you beat us in the final at Dalkeith, Chester, if i remember rightly? One of the worst games I remember from a personal point of view!

Fingers crossed for Jackie. Hopefully he is on the mend.

2-0 mate. Was an awful game. Jackie couldn't play as one of our young coaches broke his leg in training!

14 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

2-0 mate. Was an awful game. Jackie couldn't play as one of our young coaches broke his leg in training!

Christ I remember that! Wish I hadn't played either, should have been subbed after 5 minutes, had an absolute nightmare from the first whistle, should have subbed myself. It didn't seem like a great game, but I just thought that was because I was useless?

What's your name mate?

chester copperpot
24 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

Christ I remember that! Wish I hadn't played either, should have been subbed after 5 minutes, had an absolute nightmare from the first whistle, should have subbed myself. It didn't seem like a great game, but I just thought that was because I was useless?

What's your name mate?

Will pm ya later mate

2 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

It is indeed mate Lee Roberts sent me the photo. 

How's Lee doing? Not seen him for over 30 years! Take it you still keep in touch?

Weird that we had a Lee Roberts and a Lee Robertson in the same team!

Diadora Van Basten
58 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

How's Lee doing? Not seen him for over 30 years! Take it you still keep in touch?

Weird that we had a Lee Roberts and a Lee Robertson in the same team!

He’s doing fine lives in London and works editing TV programmes. That was some team the football was exceptional just a shame the coach think it was Graeme left the team and afterwards became more physical. Still a good team though.

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

He’s doing fine lives in London and works editing TV programmes. That was some team the football was exceptional just a shame the coach think it was Graeme left the team and afterwards became more physical. Still a good team though.

That's good Brian, tell him I'm asking for him. Yes there were a few talented players in that team. Yeah the coach was Graeme Bryce, his pal Kenny and Jimmy Grealish. Graeme reported on the football for the News of the World later. 

Where did you go after Salvy? Think wee Jackie went to Edina and Gairdoch United before going to Dunfermline?

Diadora Van Basten
56 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

That's good Brian, tell him I'm asking for him. Yes there were a few talented players in that team. Yeah the coach was Graeme Bryce, his pal Kenny and Jimmy Grealish. Graeme reported on the football for the News of the World later. 

Where did you go after Salvy? Think wee Jackie went to Edina and Gairdoch United before going to Dunfermline?

I went to Deerpark at Dunbar then Musselburgh Windsor my claim to fame is that I started at Dunfermline on the same day as Jackie. We were the new boys and sat together on the YTS mini bus from the ground to the training ground. I packed it in after a couple of days and gave up football altogether at the end of that season to play rugby.

15 hours ago, Gordon Zola said:

Davey Dalglish (Smith), is that you?

Fergie

It is indeed Jimmy 👍

Forgot I was a year younger and stayed back while you, Jackie, Tommy etc moved up... 

I ended up in Salveson team with Kev Thomas, Gary Locke, Kev Locke, Paul Wethertson etc.. before moving to Edinburgh Thistle/Ainslie Park.

Hope alls good in the Fergie household ✌

Edited by daveydal

21 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I went to Deerpark at Dunbar then Musselburgh Windsor my claim to fame is that I started at Dunfermline on the same day as Jackie. We were the new boys and sat together on the YTS mini bus from the ground to the training ground. I packed it in after a couple of days and gave up football altogether at the end of that season to play rugby.

Still no update on Jackie. I hope no news is good news.

That's a big change Brian, guess you decided that football wasn't for you at that time. At least you gave it a bash and got to a decent level before deciding. Did Derek Laing play with you at Dunbar. Think we signed him from Dunbar at under 14s or 15s. I'm sure he ended up at Dunfermline too. Great centre forward.

13 hours ago, daveydal said:

It is indeed Jimmy 👍

Forgot I was a year younger and stayed back while you, Jackie, Tommy etc moved up... 

I ended up in Salveson team with Kev Thomas, Gary Locke, Kev Locke, Paul Wethertson etc.. before moving to Edinburgh Thistle/Ainslie Park.

Hope alls good in the Fergie household ✌

All good here Davie.

How you doing? Hope you and the family are doing ok.

Aye, I went down with you from Craiglockhart Primary to training with Salvy under 10's at Leith Primary School or Leith Academy. You would have been Primary 5 and me Primary 6, 1984 i think.

My first night there Jackie was there and Tommy Harrison and Big Jackie, he was a lovely guy, one of those guys that you have an instant respect for. Us older ones moved up to under 11s after that, Jackie, Tommy, Scotty, Leddy, Stevie Dick, Stevie Thomson, Struan Gordon, Oggy. Mind Dougie Hanley played too!! Big Juni Green contingent too. You stayed behind with Webby. Did Gary Juner and Keith Deuchars stay at your age group? Kevin Thomas, Gary Locke and and his brother weren't there when I moved up, they must've joined later?

We had a great season at 11's, won the league, 4 or 5 cups, got beat in the semi of the Scottish 0-1 away to Shotts (bassas) and got beat in a final 0-3 by Tynie at the Jack Kane Centre. World Cup Wullie (Pryde) thumped in a hat trick from all over the place in the pissing rain, I thought who the **** is this guy!

4 of that team, Scottie, Stevie Dick, Struan and myself played for Edinburgh Primary Schools in the same year and won the Scottish Cup. The first Edinburgh team to win it since Robbo, Mackay and Bowman 11 years before. It was the year of the teachers strike so that was the only cup there was to play in. Out of that team, Scotty, Stevie, Deek Beveridge, Craig (Jinky) Jamieson and myself all went to Tynie School. We got to a final and who did we play? Portie. Beat us 7-4 at Warriston, Jackie, Darren Cameron, Graham Soutar and wee Pele (Edina) all played. Possibly Chester Copperpot also? Think Jackie banged in a hatrick.

Keep fighting Jackie.

Diadora Van Basten
28 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

Still no update on Jackie. I hope no news is good news.

That's a big change Brian, guess you decided that football wasn't for you at that time. At least you gave it a bash and got to a decent level before deciding. Did Derek Laing play with you at Dunbar. Think we signed him from Dunbar at under 14s or 15s. I'm sure he ended up at Dunfermline too. Great centre forward.

Yes I played with Derek you just had to put the ball over his shoulder and it was like scoring a goal. He would knock the defender out the way out pace the defence and smash it home. I haven’t heard any more about Jackie since he was sitting up and talking about 5 days ago. His daughter did request privacy so I presume people are respecting this. What about yourself who did you end up playing for.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

All good here Davie.

How you doing? Hope you and the family are doing ok.

Aye, I went down with you from Craiglockhart Primary to training with Salvy under 10's at Leith Primary School or Leith Academy. You would have been Primary 5 and me Primary 6, 1984 i think.

My first night there Jackie was there and Tommy Harrison and Big Jackie, he was a lovely guy, one of those guys that you have an instant respect for. Us older ones moved up to under 11s after that, Jackie, Tommy, Scotty, Leddy, Stevie Dick, Stevie Thomson, Struan Gordon, Oggy. Mind Dougie Hanley played too!! Big Juni Green contingent too. You stayed behind with Webby. Did Gary Juner and Keith Deuchars stay at your age group? Kevin Thomas, Gary Locke and and his brother weren't there when I moved up, they must've joined later?

We had a great season at 11's, won the league, 4 or 5 cups, got beat in the semi of the Scottish 0-1 away to Shotts (bassas) and got beat in a final 0-3 by Tynie at the Jack Kane Centre. World Cup Wullie (Pryde) thumped in a hat trick from all over the place in the pissing rain, I thought who the **** is this guy!

4 of that team, Scottie, Stevie Dick, Struan and myself played for Edinburgh Primary Schools in the same year and won the Scottish Cup. The first Edinburgh team to win it since Robbo, Mackay and Bowman 11 years before. It was the year of the teachers strike so that was the only cup there was to play in. Out of that team, Scotty, Stevie, Deek Beveridge, Craig (Jinky) Jamieson and myself all went to Tynie School. We got to a final and who did we play? Portie. Beat us 7-4 at Warriston, Jackie, Darren Cameron, Graham Soutar and wee Pele (Edina) all played. Possibly Chester Copperpot also? Think Jackie banged in a hatrick.

Keep fighting Jackie.

Jamester :)

Things no too bad buddy, considering.

Aye, Keith Deuchers and Gary Juner stayed on for another year at 10s...Paul Crandles, Gary Cockburn, the Locke bros  and Kev Thomas all joined later, I'd be guessing what year...

Got sickened with Salvy by 14s, got asked by Tam Lambie to go along to Edinburgh Thistle who changed into Ainslie Park ( Kev Ward, Gogs Scott, Barry O'Donnell, Neil Russell, Stingray.. great team ) played with them til 18s, had a season at Tranent 21s, St Bernard's 21s then slowly depreciated and moved onto Saturday amateur with Tynecastle Star 😂 

Remember when i got scouted for Rangers, Danny Lee who was a tremendous midfielder, was asked if he would be interested in training at riccarton also... once the scout found out Danny went to St Thomas' ..well, let's just say Danny never made it to Riccarton , mental but not unusual in the 80s.

Anyway, sidetracking here, hope Jackie gets well soon ✌👍

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Yes I played with Derek you just had to put the ball over his shoulder and it was like scoring a goal. He would knock the defender out the way out pace the defence and smash it home. I haven’t heard any more about Jackie since he was sitting up and talking about 5 days ago. His daughter did request privacy so I presume people are respecting this. What about yourself who did you end up playing for.

Yes Brian, you just had to pop it in behind the centre halves and he was bursting onto it and banging it in the back of the net. Mind he scored a hat trick against tynie at forries all from through balls, beat them 4-0. Lovely guy too. Were you from out east lothian way? Did scatz the goalie play for you?

I ended up staying at salvy until the death, under 16s, think I was the only one to stay all the way through. Not sure when Tam left, maybe 15s. I maybe should have had a we change at some point. Got asked to go to Hutchie and tynie at under 12s but decided to stay. Tynie won the Scottish that year and we won nowt, apart from the Ayr tournament. Hutchie won the Scottish the next year! We had all the big names but maybe never blended as a team as well as we could. Think Jackie senior saw that and took Jackie away, he obviously knew what he was doing.

I trained with hearts, rangers, Dundee united and hibs up until 14s I think and Raith at 15s. Never had the right attitude to make it though, I never applied myself properly. Mind I played a game and Leeds were watching, they came back the next week and were asking if that was the same player they watched last week haha!

Somehow ended up at Falkirk at under 18s whilst playing for links utd. Played Dundee united at the old brockville in the bp youth cup and got beat 2-0, christian dailly and david hannah were playing for them. Dailly actually played centre forward, big Colin affleck our centre half was all over him, dailly went off injured and greeting! Beautiful greasy surface. Saw Paul sturrock sitting in the dugout, kept waiting for their left back to take a slightly heavy touch hit him with 2 or 3 old fashioned sliding tackles in front of sturrock. Came in at half time and Jim Jefferies came in and walked over to me, put his hand on my shoulder and said "you're having a great game son" couldn't believe it, felt ten feet tall. Think he maybe could have sorted me out. Maybe. Anyway a few weeks later got the train through to brockville for training, place was in darkness, had been snowing a wee bit. No one had told me training was off and I took the huff and chucked it as I thought they didn't want me. Found out later they were going to offer me a yts!!

Anyway, that's the difference between the players that make it and the players that don't. You have to have the right attitude. Wee Jackie had it in him, myself and others didn't.