Naismith wants to play for Scotland ( edited)

Ex member of the SaS

Ex member of the SaS

Reports he hopes to have planted a seed in Clarke's head and will get picked for Scotland.

Personally think he should concentrate on playing for Hearts. He has his 50th cap and should call it a day especially as he is injury prone.

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, NB GIN said:

What bigger honour than playing for your country 

He makes a difference and Scotland are a better team with him in it

And if he's injured what then for Hearts?

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Reports he hopes to have planted a seed in Clarke's head and will get picked for Scotland.

Personally think he should concentrate on playing for Hearts. He has his 50th cap and should call it a day especially as he is injury prone.

Maybe you should relabel the thread 'wants to play for Scotland'? Every time we see a Naismith thread we imagine he might be injured.

FWIW If the prospect of more caps motivates Naismith to perform for Hearts that's fine by me (not that I have ever doubted his appetite or commitment).

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, 4marsbars said:

Maybe you should relabel the thread 'wants to play for Scotland'? Every time we see a Naismith thread we imagine he might be injured.

FWIW If the prospect of more caps motivates Naismith to perform for Hearts that's fine by me (not that I have ever doubted his appetite or commitment).

Sorry if I know how to I would , maybe the mods can do that.

A direct quote from Naismith -

"To be honest (Hearts) need to win games. That's the main focus. The Scotland thing will take care of itself."

Clearly concentrating on Hearts, and don’t really understand the Naismith criticism of late due to 2 poor games after playing a number of games in a short space of time after a lengthy injury. 

Clark has been keeping tabs on Naismith, wanted him fit and get game-time right throughout this seasons injury problems. I am delighted to see him playing so regularly and thought he maybe should've been dropped on a slippy plastic pitch at Falkirk but it seems he got though it in the end. He's still a big part of the Scotland set-up and his experience could be crucial in the next few games.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Noah Claypole said:

His current form doesn't warrant a place.

Tend to agree,  nowhere near his best right now but I expect him to bounce back 

Just now, karipidis said:

"To be honest (Hearts) need to win games. That's the main focus. The Scotland thing will take care of itself."

Clearly concentrating on Hearts, and don’t really understand the Naismith criticism of late due to 2 poor games after playing a number of games in a short space of time after a lengthy injury. 

Because his form of late hasn't been good enough and he's not above criticism. 

Simple really.

Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

You can say that about any player who's pickled from any club. He could quite easily get injured again playing for Hearts as much as playing for Scotland. It's a chance players' take as well as an honour to wear the national strip.

Edited by jambonian

Not got a problem with him playing for Scotland. Cringeworthy thread. 

That said, with Griffiths fit and back to form, I can't see Naismith leading the line anyway but should be in the squad. No bigger honour than playing for your Country. 

14 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

When you sign an international class player, it comes with the territory.

The Treasurer
22 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Like everyone else, I'm delighted he's back playing for us and his influence on those around him is clear to see, but his own form since the winter break has fallen way below the standard he sets for himself.

Thing is even if he isn’t playing at his best, he is still a goal threat, more so than the majority of other Scottish strikers, so for that alone if fit he will be in the squad. 

44 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

3 goals in 6 isn’t bad for a Scottish striker to be fair, especially one just returning from injury.  

Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

3 goals in 6 isn’t bad for a Scottish striker to be fair, especially one just returning from injury.  

In the craziness that is kickback this is not good enough

No issues with this at all. Playoffs at the end of March so a few good performances and helping us get up the table between now and then would be very welcomed.

He was excellent against Rangers and then very good against St Johnstone. Poor last couple games but think he’s probably played more games than expected, and sure he’ll be back to his best soon enough. 

fabienleclerq

I've no issues as long as he is playing for us regularly, can't be injured for us then in for Scotland like last time. 

If Naismith gets the call to start against Israel i will be delighted as it means he will have been doing the business for us over the next 8 games. 

4 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

He has a chance of helping Scotland to qualify for a major tournament and playing in it. 

Id rather he kept fit and focussed on helping Hearts avoid relegation!!

I would have hoped that the club would have a word with him and suggest that it is time to retire from the national team. I actually would have hoped this would have formed part of discussions when he was agreeing his new contract.

He wants to play for his country and to do so he will have to play very well for us. That’ll do me. 
Personally I’m not bothered too much about Scotland but we benefit here. The conspiracy theories not so long ago were fantasy stuff. Naismith is a total professional for club and country

6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I would have hoped that the club would have a word with him and suggest that it is time to retire from the national team. I actually would have hoped this would have formed part of discussions when he was agreeing his new contract.

why ? It gives him extra incentive to play well for his club so he is picked for Scotland 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

He wants to play for his country and to do so he will have to play very well for us. That’ll do me. 
Personally I’m not bothered too much about Scotland but we benefit here. The conspiracy theories not so long ago were fantasy stuff. Naismith is a total professional for club and country

only thing is he got injured last time out and missed how many? 

Just now, 1971fozzy said:

why ? It gives him extra incentive to play well for his club so he is picked for Scotland 

This, with bells and whistles. Spot on.

He needs to do this business for us or he won't get a look in. Potential Win/Win.

ToadKiller Dog

Last chance he will likely have to play in a major tournament if we make it ,so dont blame him.

If he want to play for Scotland he needs to hit form with us ,which can only benefit us .

Cant go around in fear of a player getting injured its part of the game .

N Lincs Jambo

It makes a welcome surprise for me to read about top players absolutely desperate to play for their country as opposed to making all manner of excuses to call off especially given how dugshite Scotland have been for too long to remember.

SN knows that the key to him getting selected is to do the business for us so win-won in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Tend to agree,  nowhere near his best right now but I expect him to bounce back 

6 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

Absolutely excellent against Rangers and Airdrie and suddenly he’s not playing at his best? I’ve been critical and negative recently, but I honestly can’t believe that anyone has judged any player, based on that Falkirk match!

Edited by Mr Elwood P

31 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Absolutely excellent against Rangers and Airdrie and suddenly he’s not playing at his best? I’ve been critical and negative recently, but I honestly can’t believe that anyone has judged any player, based on that Falkirk match!

Hasn’t been in as good form since Rangers game. Don’t see what’s wrong with stating that. 

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Can't play at all if he is injured.

26 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Hasn’t been in as good form since Rangers game. Don’t see what’s wrong with stating that. 

Scored against St Johnstone and the Falkirk game was a write off due to the weather ...

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Scored against St Johnstone and the Falkirk game was a write off due to the weather ...

His form was below that of the Rangers and Airdrie games v St Johnstone, and dropped further v Kilmarnock and Falkirk. It’s not a slight on the guy, and it’s not writing him off to point this out. I’m actually surprised that he’s kept such high standards of form up until now tbh. His form has dropped since Rangers though.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy
Spelling mistake

8 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

Scored against Airdrie, scored against Rangers and scored against St Johnstone...3 goals in 5 games.