Plan vs Celtic / Rest Naismith?

A_A wehatethehibs

A_A wehatethehibs

Well it wasn’t pretty (tbh on the TV I couldn’t even see if it was pretty or not) but we’re through in the cup. You get the sense there’s not much celebrating, all eyes are on the league at Hearts, we want to be a premiership side when we go to Hampden for the cup final.

Last few games, I’ve felt Naismith has not been playing too well. You can see he’s actually looked a bit leggy and tired at times. He clearly is trying to lead by example in buying into Stendell, doing a lot of running and pressing, but what’s more important is goals, his finishing in front of goal that’s what gets us points in the bag.

With Boyce in the building and Uche Walker Washington all fit, plus young bucks Henderson, McDonald and Moore all full of running, plus the fact that a win is not expected, I think we could maybe look at resting Naismith vs Celtic? Or possibly use him from the bench to come on to score a famous winner if we can keep the scores level? We could even go with Uch-Washington front 2, put a shift in, then bring both Boyce and Naismith on as fresh legs.

Think we need to try something a bit different to spring a surprise on a Wednesday night game at Parkhead. I know there’s a lot of folk whinging about the keeper but for me, it’s all about the other end of the pitch where it’s a squad effort to win games. Chucking one dodgy keeper in for another isn’t going to make that much difference to results imo. Especially against Celtic, Bobbys high profile clangers against them still make me shudder.

Thoughts? Any tactical wizards out there, What’s the plan for Wednesday? 

Certainly think Naismith has been poor recently,  Walker has played well and deserves a start.  Naismith does bring leadership on the pitch though, so if he’s fit, I’d be wary of dropping him in a game where experience will be needed.  He had an ice pack on his knee when subbed against Falkirk, we may have no choice but to rest him.

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
13 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Well it wasn’t pretty (tbh on the TV I couldn’t even see if it was pretty or not) but we’re through in the cup. You get the sense there’s not much celebrating, all eyes are on the league at Hearts, we want to be a premiership side when we go to Hampden for the cup final.

Last few games, I’ve felt Naismith has not been playing too well. You can see he’s actually looked a bit leggy and tired at times. He clearly is trying to lead by example in buying into Stendell, doing a lot of running and pressing, but what’s more important is goals, his finishing in front of goal that’s what gets us points in the bag.

With Boyce in the building and Uche Walker Washington all fit, plus young bucks Henderson, McDonald and Moore all full of running, plus the fact that a win is not expected, I think we could maybe look at resting Naismith vs Celtic? Or possibly use him from the bench to come on to score a famous winner if we can keep the scores level? We could even go with Uch-Washington front 2, put a shift in, then bring both Boyce and Naismith on as fresh legs.

Think we need to try something a bit different to spring a surprise on a Wednesday night game at Parkhead. I know there’s a lot of folk whinging about the keeper but for me, it’s all about the other end of the pitch where it’s a squad effort to win games. Chucking one dodgy keeper in for another isn’t going to make that much difference to results imo. Especially against Celtic, Bobbys high profile clangers against them still make me shudder.

Love your optimism there.

19 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good post and one I would agree with apart from the keeper bit. We've all forgotten that Zlamal is a dodgy keeper who makes clangers. Time out the team has restored him to the "decent" category.

That's the impression I'm getting anyway.

Should also add that hopefully our support don't send Naismith down the Berra route and start shouting about him being finished.

Edited by graygo

He's definitely not playing very well and looks like the armband is a bit of a burden, you can only moan your tits off if your on top of your game or Mickey Stewart syndrome might kick in.

He's stated himself in the past that he's needed time to get over injuries so maybe a bit of that creeping in. 

He'll come good again when the midfield gets used to the tactics employed and it starts functioning better. 

A_A wehatethehibs
26 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Naismith scored against Rangers and St Johnstone, just in case anyone has forgotten.

He may have got a goal but he didn’t play well against St Johnstone, nor Kilmarnock or Falkirk. Just looks a bit tired, for me we need to use the squad to help Naismith. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Thought mcdonald and walker looked sharp when they came on, would like to see both of them play a part at the weekend.

31 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Naismith scored against Rangers and St Johnstone, just in case anyone has forgotten.

He did,  and played pretty well in these games but Celtic is a tough ask and he's still got knee problems by the sound of it. Personally I would rather see him rested or on the bench for that match, we're unlikely to be getting anything from Parkhead anyway. A lot will depend on whether Sibbick is fit for a midfield position.

Thought Naismith played a slightly deeper role last night and towards the end of the Killie game. He looks better further forward.  Certainly wouldn't be dropping him.

Rest Naisy and Boyce . 

Go with Misho in behind Uche . 

Connor on one flank Walker on the other . 

Playing both them on Wed would be a massive mistake , they both need freshened up for the next coulple of weeks . 

1 hour ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

sssshhhhhh they’ll never believe you

22 minutes ago, gorgie rools said:

Thought Naismith played a slightly deeper role last night and towards the end of the Killie game. He looks better further forward.  Certainly wouldn't be dropping him.

100%
played deeper yet some expect him to score 2 every game , or have the legs of a 20 year old Olympian despite playing 2 games every week since the January restart.

He needs a rest, yet some on the match day thread yesterday didn’t realise that’s why he was subbed. He’s not a machine

August Landmesser

Unless we're relegated with two games left, we will still be a Premiership side by the time of the cup final.

Season finishes on May 24th, cup final is on May 9th.

Was about to post this. Poor lately? Quantify lately. Yesterday? Last 2 games?

Not against giving him a rest this week but a rest to fill up his tank, nothing more.

I feel our lineup next Sat v Hamilton will be revealing. Got to feel that'll be what Dan feels is our first XI. Guess depends on fitness of the likes of Hickey, Sibbick and Donis, right enough. But the keeper situ and three from Walker/Washington/Ryo/Moore/Hendo/Washington/Naismith/Uche/Mcdonald.

Then there's the choice between Irving, Sibbick, Langer and Smith. Or Smith back to RB Clare further up.

Next Sat is when we find out where we are.

Can see Walker starting. 

We are in a process of improving everything (mentality being one)and while others keep writing this game off, I hope Stendel’s mentality keeps seeping into this team and they are set and ready to go.

Believing in themselves, being competitive and giving it a go. 

Considering that I’d play Naismith even for his presence in cajoling the side.  Let it be the beginning of a proper mental approach to matches instead of a submission prior to games. 

I'd play Uche, who usually plays very well against Celtic, and Washington on Wednesday with Boyce and Naismith on the bench.

Saturday is a must win game and chasing shadows for 90 minutes at Celtic Park isn't great preparation

3 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

I'd play Uche, who usually plays very well against Celtic, and Washington on Wednesday with Boyce and Naismith on the bench.

Saturday is a must win game and chasing shadows for 90 minutes at Celtic Park isn't great preparation

Uche does usually play ok against them. Good point. 

Only way to beat the old firm is to attack,  and with Stendel we will. 

To state the obvious,  sitting back invites wave after wave of attack, if that doesn't work, the referee will give them a helping hand. 

Was just thinking that. How exactly has he been poor?

Chance of our game being postponed because of the storm so it would be rearranged. Could be a blessing as it would give us more time to prepare for Hamilton on the back of a win and a clean sheet.

100% rest Naismith.

He is our most important player and we need him fit. If he plays against Celtic there's a big chance he'll miss the far more important Hamilton game and even if he did play his impact may be far less. At Celtic Park it's all about running so happy to let someone like Washington or Henderson do all that instead.

It would take an absolutely astonishing type of miracle for our current team to get anything in this game. We can’t defend, so going up against the best attack in the league points to a drubbing. I’d rest anyone with the slightest of niggles.

Edited by jambmoz

I agree with the main point. Walker can rile Brown to the extent he called (and ridiculously got way with calling) him a cheat in public a couple of years back. Pedantry forces me to point out that the cup final is two weeks before the last league game so we better still technically be a Premiership team!

Scottie Wanshot.
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

we had One Shot At goal forby the penalty, against bloody Falkirk, they missed four good chances,  what on earth is wrong with our team, I could play in goal against Celtic and would do a better job that slippy baws Pereira. he's  a bloody joke.  

Paisley Jambo

I’d rest Naismith as Hamilton and Saints games are but Celtic isn’t.

We aren’t in a position to throw games but we’ve got to prioritise.

Uche and Meshino sounds a decent call. I’d also start Pierra as it will be the test if he continues in goal or not. Personally I don’t think he should.

It should have been ten
2 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

THIS

The zoomers are out in force as per though 😴

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, gorgie rools said:

100% needs to play further forward. No way would I drop him.

Jambof3tornado

We need to pick our fights so if that means resting those key players v celtic so be it.

Hopefully we wont make it too easy though.

Bite your arm off for a point.

MarkDevriesScores4

I don’t think Naismith has been poor at all. I don’t get where that is coming from.

if he’s fit, we play him. Sick of going to Glasgow and surrendering on the M8 on the way there ffs.

Rest Naismith for sure. He has played a lot and need him for Hamilton

Wouldn’t press them too high. Edouard, Christie, Forrest could kill us if we do it wrong.

I’d start with a back 3 again. Would like Halkett on the left and Souttar on the right. If Sibbick is fit then put him in midfield with Irving to give some protection. 

Boyce up top. Then Washington and Walker supporting. Try to stop their midfield and full backs playing. Frustrate them and hope Walker, Clare, Washington can hit on the counter and get the ball to Boyce in the box. Never know... 

No chance.  He was taken off after an hour with Wednesday’s game in mind.  Anyone thinking Stendel is prioritising the Hamilton game over the Celtic game is miles off.  He’s not that kind of coach.  It’ll be strongest team available on Wed, then on Thursday morning he’ll be preparing his strongest team for Hamilton. 

I would play Uche and Washington against Celtic.  Give Walker another 25 minutes sub appearance.

This with a view to a Boyce, Naismith and Walker front 3 in our relegation 'dogfight' games 

27 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Rest Naismith for sure. He has played a lot and need him for Hamilton

Wouldn’t press them too high. Edouard, Christie, Forrest could kill us if we do it wrong.

I’d start with a back 3 again. Would like Halkett on the left and Souttar on the right. If Sibbick is fit then put him in midfield with Irving to give some protection. 

Boyce up top. Then Washington and Walker supporting. Try to stop their midfield and full backs playing. Frustrate them and hope Walker, Clare, Washington can hit on the counter and get the ball to Boyce in the box. Never know... 

Sounds sensible. I like a back three because it seems a flexible formation, 5 at the back with four in front of them when defending and three at the back when we have the ball. A point would be a great outcome for us.

Takeshi kovac
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Best team in every game. We're in a battle for our lives. 

This is where im normally at but we need our best team for Saturday. Rest Naismith put walker in for him and keep him fresh for the weekend

3 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Spot on.

I would rest Naismith, we need to beat St Mirren and Hamilton no points dropped, Naismith is vital for that. We could well go to Celtic put up a show and get beat 2-1 means nothing it’s still zero points. Worse Naismith could be crocked and we’ve lost him for the two important games.

I go (depending on fitness)

Zlamal 

Dikamona Souttar Halket 

Garuccio  Smith Sibick Hickey

Walker 

Boyce Washington 

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

THIS

The zoomers are out in force as per though 😴

So did he play well second half St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Falkirk?

If he starts on Wednesday, then again vs Hamilton, that’ll be 5 starts in a fortnight for a 33 year old player who has been out half the season 

Naismith looked leggy last night, on a stupid plastic pitch in horrible conditions. No one looked particularly fast. 

It’s good question 

But Stendel doesn’t or won’t see this as a dead rubber and will go out to win 

On the other hand he has been open and said certain players have been rested when back from injury and looked tired or out of sorts 

So we have to trust what Stendel sees in training 

I would rest him - had an ice pack on his knee when he came of.

The massive games are against Hamilton then St Mirren

It should have been ten
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

So did he play well second half St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Falkirk?

If he starts on Wednesday, then again vs Hamilton, that’ll be 5 starts in a fortnight for a 33 year old player who has been out half the season 

Wasn’t the worse player on the park for us so yes ‘zoomers’

Rest Naismith for this game. Would be happy with;

Zlamal

Souttar Smith Halkett

Clare Sibbick Irving White

Washington Boyce Walker