• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Francis Albert

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GinRummy

2 hours ago, kila said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-manager-daniel-stendel-reveals-why-his-team-will-attack-celtic-glasgow-1403505

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel reveals why his team will attack Celtic in Glasgow

German determined not to change his team's gameplan at Parkhead

Daniel Stendel wants Hearts to have a go at Celtic on Wednesday

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel will not change his attacking philosophy at Celtic Park because he believes his team can upset the Premiership champions.

Wednesday night's match pits bottom of the league against top and Stendel insists Hearts will go to Glasgow without fear to continue their intense, high-pressing gameplan.

The German is not daunted by the fact the Edinburgh club have not won a league fixture at Parkhead since April 2007. He feels taking the game to Celtic is the best approach rather than trying to defend for 90 minutes.

"Look at the expectations," he said. "You follow the scores on a Saturday and look for the Celtic game: Nil-nil, 1-0 Celtic, 2-0 Celtic. In the end, it is always a Celtic win because every team expects to have no chance. We do expect to have a chance and we want to play our style against Celtic.

"Sometimes it is different when we play other teams like St Johnstone or Kilmarnock. They used some bad situations in our concentration. Against Celtic, we know we cannot take one step back or we will have no hope, so I think that will be good for the focus of my players."

Stendel stopped short of saying teams believe they are beaten before kick-off away at Celtic. "I hope not but when you hope Celtic don’t score then you can be hoping for a long, long time," he continued.

"It’s difficult when you are only defending and hoping you get one or two chances. Every team would like to win but a lot of times teams just don’t want to lose. We want to try to win."

Hearts may be without centre-back John Souttar again as he continues recovering from an ankle knock. Whoever plays in central defence must rise to the challenge against Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard, who has 24 goals in 37 games this season.

"It’s a good contest for everyone on the pitch to say: ‘Against me he does not score. Against us he does not score,'" said Stendel.

"Everyone on the pitch needs to have the feeling that they are not alone. When it’s one-against-one, then maybe we are not the better team but if we can make it every time 11 v 11, I think we are better.

"This is a chance for us. Expectations are normally not so high and in our situation we must use every game to get points. The chance is not as high as in other fixtures but the game starts 0-0 and I want us to go for three points.

"I have had the question ‘is this game more important than that game?’ In our situation we cannot say things like that. We have tough games in the next 14 days and we need points wherever we can get them - even against Celtic away from home."

A 2-1 defeat of Rangers at Tynecastle Park last month offers evidence that, when Stendel's team clicks, they are capable of beating anyone.

"We need some special days," he admitted. "However, when we are concentrated and have the courage to do what we want, then we have a real chance. If not, then you just go to Glasgow, look at the stadium and go home with nothing. That cannot be our mentality.

"We know we are playing against the best team in Scotland, with a very good offence, but we have shown before that we can win against Rangers, so why not Celtic?"

Souttar will be touch-and-go for Wednesday, while Aaron Hickey is likely to miss out and Toby Sibbick remains sidelined by illness.

"It is a bit early but we hope John Souttar can play," said Stendel. "Aaron Hickey started training on the pitch - at the moment not with the team - so Saturday is the earliest for him."

Yas Daniel, intae them!

(OP - Can we get a point? WTF kind of Levein loser mentality is that shite?)

11 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Basically if we’re going to get beat we may as well try and win. 

The way it should always be.

Our previous manager tried to set his teams out to "contain" the old firm and we mostly got battered and it was pathetic to watch (OK a few wins in there but mostly battered).

New man, new way of thinking. I like this way.

2 hours ago, kila said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-manager-daniel-stendel-reveals-why-his-team-will-attack-celtic-glasgow-1403505

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel reveals why his team will attack Celtic in Glasgow

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel will not change his attacking philosophy at Celtic Park because he believes his team can upset the Premiership champions.

Wednesday night's match pits bottom of the league against top and Stendel insists Hearts will go to Glasgow without fear to continue their intense, high-pressing gameplan.

The German is not daunted by the fact the Edinburgh club have not won a league fixture at Parkhead since April 2007. He feels taking the game to Celtic is the best approach rather than trying to defend for 90 minutes.

"Look at the expectations," he said. "You follow the scores on a Saturday and look for the Celtic game: Nil-nil, 1-0 Celtic, 2-0 Celtic. In the end, it is always a Celtic win because every team expects to have no chance. We do expect to have a chance and we want to play our style against Celtic.

"Sometimes it is different when we play other teams like St Johnstone or Kilmarnock. They used some bad situations in our concentration. Against Celtic, we know we cannot take one step back or we will have no hope, so I think that will be good for the focus of my players."

Stendel stopped short of saying teams believe they are beaten before kick-off away at Celtic. "I hope not but when you hope Celtic don’t score then you can be hoping for a long, long time," he continued.

"It’s difficult when you are only defending and hoping you get one or two chances. Every team would like to win but a lot of times teams just don’t want to lose. We want to try to win."

Hearts may be without centre-back John Souttar again as he continues recovering from an ankle knock. Whoever plays in central defence must rise to the challenge against Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard, who has 24 goals in 37 games this season.

"It’s a good contest for everyone on the pitch to say: ‘Against me he does not score. Against us he does not score,'" said Stendel.

"Everyone on the pitch needs to have the feeling that they are not alone. When it’s one-against-one, then maybe we are not the better team but if we can make it every time 11 v 11, I think we are better.

"This is a chance for us. Expectations are normally not so high and in our situation we must use every game to get points. The chance is not as high as in other fixtures but the game starts 0-0 and I want us to go for three points.

"I have had the question ‘is this game more important than that game?’ In our situation we cannot say things like that. We have tough games in the next 14 days and we need points wherever we can get them - even against Celtic away from home."

A 2-1 defeat of Rangers at Tynecastle Park last month offers evidence that, when Stendel's team clicks, they are capable of beating anyone.

"We need some special days," he admitted. "However, when we are concentrated and have the courage to do what we want, then we have a real chance. If not, then you just go to Glasgow, look at the stadium and go home with nothing. That cannot be our mentality.

"We know we are playing against the best team in Scotland, with a very good offence, but we have shown before that we can win against Rangers, so why not Celtic?"

Souttar will be touch-and-go for Wednesday, while Aaron Hickey is likely to miss out and Toby Sibbick remains sidelined by illness.

"It is a bit early but we hope John Souttar can play," said Stendel. "Aaron Hickey started training on the pitch - at the moment not with the team - so Saturday is the earliest for him."

Just what I thought hed say. Play as a team, go for a win. Ann Budge chose the wrong manager if you want someone who will just try not to lose.

Governor Tarkin
52 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Basically if we’re going to get beat we may as well try and win. 

This. Every time.

**** Celtic and **** the Rangers

Gorgie Rules.

3 hours ago, kila said:

Am I being a bit overly worried about us basically just handing Celtic our gameplan ahead of the match?

2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Am I being a bit overly worried about us basically just handing Celtic our gameplan ahead of the match?

Won’t make a difference - they are too good for us just now 

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

They look to be cruising in every match I've seen them play.

When they have reserve players that cost more than their opponents entire squad it's not a level playing field.

Makes it even more of a joke when they complain about the "unfair advantage" when they get horsed in the CL

jack D and coke
On 09/02/2020 at 10:46, Redhelen said:

Think it could be risky not to play your strongest team. What if Celtic are below par? 3 points is 3 points regardless of who you play. Win against Celtic lose against Hamilton is the same as doing it the other way round 

Celtic just love giving us a doing. A lot of their fans hate us more than they hate the huns. 
I don’t think we should just chuck the game though either. Scrap for everything just now. 

Horatio Caine
50 minutes ago, Ramagio87 said:

Any word on Sibbick? Could really do with him in the middle.

Still nae weel apparently

Taking into account Souttar, Hickey and Sibbik may be out..

Zlamal

Clare Smith Halkett White

Langer Irving

Walker Naismith Washington

Boyce

Just now, sandyk said:

Taking into account Souttar, Hickey and Sibbik may be out..

Zlamal

Clare Smith Halkett White

Langer Irving

Walker Naismith Washington

Boyce

Really hope this is the side but i have a bad feeling Joel will be in goal (do we have to pay more of his wages if he doesn't play?) and also Stendel seems to like Henderson & Moore so wouldn't be surprised if they start too....

What is going on with Avdijaj?

Getting a bit peeved with the constant foaming about the goalie and how shite he is. You can see he is struggling a bit confidence wise and for a goalie that it is not great to try and get through this spell.

You win and lose as a team and there are many other players that need to "step up" to try and get out of this mess.

If/when we get pumped by this mob, let's not destroy the goalie, there are bigger games coming up.

Just now, Ramagio87 said:

Really hope this is the side but i have a bad feeling Joel will be in goal (do we have to pay more of his wages if he doesn't play?) and also Stendel seems to like Henderson & Moore so wouldn't be surprised if they start too....

What is going on with Avdijaj?

Avdijaj took a knock apparently last week.  Wouldn't start him in this match - still has to get some proper game time.  Think having Langer, Irving, Washington and Naismith doing the dirty work in the middle will allow Walker to give some creativity and feed Boyce some scraps.  Henderson/Moore have done OK against lesser opposition, but think this is a night to get stuck in.

Maybe we'll see a back 3 again

Bobby

Halkett      Dikamona      Smith

Clare           Langer          Irving           White

Walker        Boyce        Washington

Heart of Darkness

Get right in their faces, don't give them anytime on the ball to look for passes and run with the ball, and wind Brown up till he loses the head and gets booked or sent off.

Gorgie Rules!!

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Thought you were a Barnsley fan?

I read it as NIGHTMARE paraphrasing Stendel.

14 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Getting a bit peeved with the constant foaming about the goalie and how shite he is. You can see he is struggling a bit confidence wise and for a goalie that it is not great to try and get through this spell.

You win and lose as a team and there are many other players that need to "step up" to try and get out of this mess.

If/when we get pumped by this mob, let's not destroy the goalie, there are bigger games coming up.

So true. Sometimes players are able to shrug off the ridiculous scapegoat witch hunts too though, tbf. Look at the shite that some fans were throwing in Clare's direction before he turned it around. Hopefully Joel doesn't have to suffer it to quite the same extent as that.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

23 minutes ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Get right in their faces, don't give them anytime on the ball to look for passes and run with the ball, and wind Brown up till he loses the head and gets booked or sent off.

Gorgie Rules!!

Brown doesn’t get red cards 😩

Chances are we will get smashed.

So may as well go down fighting. No chance of causing an upset if we just sit back and let them come at us.

I was at the game on Sunday and they were very poor. Nothing about them stood out. 

Well worth having a go and seeing what happens.

If it ends up a hammering then so be it. At least we’ll be having a go.

Some may call that naive, well after watching us shit the bed constantly as soon as we get to Harthill and barely cross the halfway line in an ‘attempt’ to keep things tight, I welcome this approach.

DS isn’t going to change his ways. I suggest we all get used to it and embrace it.

Gorgie Rules.

37 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Chances are we will get smashed.

So may as well go down fighting. No chance of causing an upset if we just sit back and let them come at us.

I was at the game on Sunday and they were very poor. Nothing about them stood out. 

Well worth having a go and seeing what happens.

Were you in the Clyde end?

It's more than likely we will lose this game considering Celtic's current form and ours.   If we are to get beat then let's do so having a go rather than waving the white flag as we have done all too often in Glasgow.  

2 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

It's more than likely we will lose this game considering Celtic's current form and ours.   If we are to get beat then let's do so having a go rather than waving the white flag as we have done all too often in Glasgow.  

We do have to watch our goal difference though 

August Landmesser
5 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Were you in the Clyde end?

Have you ever been in the Hearts end?

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, The Roller said:

If it ends up a hammering then so be it. At least we’ll be having a go.

Some may call that naive, well after watching us shit the bed constantly as soon as we get to Harthill and barely cross the halfway line in an ‘attempt’ to keep things tight, I welcome this approach.

DS isn’t going to change his ways. I suggest we all get used to it and embrace it.

Gorgie Rules.

I’m not for getting a hammering tbh. Goal difference could be crucial. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

It’s risk and reward and clearly the gaffers way.

I’ve seen enough hammerings when trying to keep it tight not to worry about us having a go tomorrow.

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Give them problems up the other end and they will hopefully spend less time in our box. We've had a few skelpings playing the cagiest football imaginable so might as well have a go. I'm very worried though.

Just now, Barack said:

We could get beaten 5 or 6 sitting in. We have in the past.

If it's 5 or 6 having a go...🤷‍♂️

But we must keep eye on our goal difference 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, The Roller said:

It’s risk and reward and clearly the gaffers way.

I’ve seen enough hammerings when trying to keep it tight not to worry about us having a go tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

We could get beaten 5 or 6 sitting in. We have in the past.

If it's 5 or 6 having a go...🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Give them problems up the other end and they will hopefully spend less time in our box. We've had a few skelpings playing the cagiest football imaginable so might as well have a go. I'm very worried though.

Perriera though....

:sob:

4 or 5 nil Celtic.

Our keeper is Sunday league, our defence is inconsistent, midfield non existent and we are just starting to have strikers who look hungry.  Throw in a rookie manager and an owner that has turned us into a bunch of tree hugging fairies we are pretty ****ed.

jack D and coke
15 minutes ago, Barack said:

We can give them a game, if we cut out the utter stupidity.

Don't think we'll win, but I'll be surprised if Celtic actually take 5 or 6 off us.

🤞🏼

both teams to score and celtic to win seems a sensible bet if I was betting with the head. 

my heart says we nick and early goal and startle them and come away with a point! 

When we beat them 4-0 we pressed them constantly and they absolutely hated it. Couldn't deal with it, because they're so used to teams standing off to an extent and letting them control the game. When they couldn't control the game, their feathers were ruffled and they really didn't like it. So we may as well try and go down the same route - attack them, press them, see what happens. 

Nothing to lose. Anything other than a colossal pumping will be a decent result. 

Captain Canada

Makes total sense. Why invite a team onto you for wave after wave of attack? If the ball's in their half, they have something to think about at least. 

We can't afford just to write a game off because we're massive underdogs - if we did manage to sneak something it would be a massive boost before Saturday. 

It's refreshing to hear that this is the approach. Under previous managers, we've been beat before stepping off of the bus in Glasgow. Might aswell go down swinging.