Disappointed.

busby1985

Not going to lie. Am disappointed that Stendel has changed the formation instead of addressing the real issue, the keeper. We should’ve stayed in the same formation just changed the personnel. Anyone for Joel, Smith for Langer, Walker for Henderson. Our biggest problem under Levein was the constant changing of the message and game plan. Wednesday was a set back but the shape didn’t cost us, individual errors did. We can’t rock up to Celtic Park and play that formation, we were battered pillar to post by a League one side. 

Positives, we are into the next round. Clare continues to impress. Walker looked sharp. Was good to see MacDonald. 

Edited by busby1985

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Mr Elwood P

• graygo

• busby1985

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

We were battered by the conditions more than we were Falkirk to be honest.

Yeah the weather played it’s part, no doubting that but Falkirk hit the wood work 3 times and had two great, clear cut chances that better teams would’ve taken. Horrible conditions, horrible park but still disappointed in nearly every aspect of how we played and set up. We won tho, something we probably wouldn’t have a few months back. 

Just now, Noah Claypole said:

I think we should trust the manager. 

Won't be holding my breath of course. Sadly.

I do trust the manager, just hope that his trust in Joel pays off. 

Glad to hear that he has said he won’t be playing that system again. 

The conditions, the pitch, it being a cup tie, it was hard to gain control. It was fast and furious stuff. We're lucky to get through but no one gives a shit about the 5th round when your names on the cup. 

We shouldn't have played it and shouldn't try it again. It's something you implement Pre season and really you need certain types of players to play it. We need consistency in shape and selection. 

We'll get well beaten by Celtic, but so will many teams. We won't play them or Rangers again this season, so these games will not define our season. If we keep it respectable, fine. Goal difference could be crucial. We need to be realistic

3 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

We'll get well beaten by Celtic, but so will many teams. We won't play them or Rangers again this season, so these games will not define our season. If we keep it respectable, fine. Goal difference could be crucial. We need to be realistic

Seriously **** that. We need to do everything we can to try and get something from the game. It’s obviously unlikely we’ll get anything but we have to fight for every point like our lives depended on it. 

To be fair to Pereira, I doubt Bobby or Doyle would have bailed Dikamona out with that botched backpass. And in the conditions having someone who can get some distance on a kick was important.

Fortunately Falkirk had no shots on target 

36 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Seriously **** that. We need to do everything we can to try and get something from the game. It’s obviously unlikely we’ll get anything but we have to fight for every point like our lives depended on it. 

the odds of us getting anything are huge. What we do need is for the support to have realistic expectations for Wednesday. Of course we may get something (like the 2012 semi) but if the game goes to form we won’t. The huge tests come the following 2 games as they are 6 pointers

55 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Yeah the weather played it’s part, no doubting that but Falkirk hit the wood work 3 times and had two great, clear cut chances that better teams would’ve taken. Horrible conditions, horrible park but still disappointed in nearly every aspect of how we played and set up. We won tho, something we probably wouldn’t have a few months back. 

You must have noticed the stark difference when we changed the shape and had Walker on. After that, it was all us again.

The game against Celtic, I'll settle for anything that doesn't deplete confidence tbh. 

AlphonseCapone
7 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Joel did ok tonight in abysmal weather conditions. Of course that won’t suit some. Clean sheet and all that.

He done OK because Falkirk didn't really hit the target. He still managed to fumble 3 times. 

1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

Not going to lie. Am disappointed that Stendel has changed the formation instead of addressing the real issue, the keeper. We should’ve stayed in the same formation just changed the personnel. Anyone for Joel, Smith for Langer, Walker for Henderson. Our biggest problem under Levein was the constant changing of the message and game plan. Wednesday was a set back but the shape didn’t cost us, individual errors did. We can’t rock up to Celtic Park and play that formation, we were battered pillar to post by a League one side. 

Positives, we are into the next round. Clare continues to impress. Walker looked sharp. Was good to see MacDonald. 

Trouble is Busby who replaces Joe?

Not Bobby.

So who?

JP tumbled 3 times and got his angles wrong for the second shot that returned off the post, thankfully though nobody gets anything for hitting the metalwork. 

It was good to see him actually get off the ground to watch the ball come back off the bar, small steps, maybe some day he will actually get a good hand to a similar shot and turn it over the bar.. Not holding my breath BTW.. 

The Future's Maroon

Sometimes I wonder if folk on here have ever kicked an actual ball in a game of football?

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

I think we should trust the manager. 

Won't be holding my breath of course. Sadly.

That's the key point. Trust the manager, he's one of the best we've had in a long time in my opinion. You can see the runs off the ball etc the work ethic in the team is good and the players are happy, Stendel's done that. But our players always pick the safe option on the ball, that let Falkirk in. That changed a little bit second half

As for Pereira he did fine, a fumble aside he had a calm game 

3 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Tbh he is beginning to look like a rabbit in headlights . Tonight’s team selection was very random. He needs to realise that experience will get us  out of the mess we are in not kids. Tonight’s performance was embarrassingly bad regardless of weather conditions. 

pettigrewsstylist

The majority of these players are just are not good enough for Scotlands top flight it seems. 

Little point looking for lots of other excuses. Not like its been going on for a fortnight.

Parttimer1874
1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

The majority of these players are just are not good enough for Scotlands top flight it seems. 

Little point looking for lots of other excuses. Not like its been going on for a fortnight.

The majority? That’s just nonsense. Of that starting 11 last night, who isn’t good enough for the Scottish top flight? 

8 hours ago, busby1985 said:

I think the keeper is part of the problem, we have huge problems at wing back. They can’t defend. We are really missing Hickey. 

Joel is an average GK but he's not fully to blame, the whole team is a defensive unit.  

We put ourselves under unnecessary pressure at times by not keeping the ball higher up the park.  Boyce is good at this but Naismith and Washington toiled when, as international strikers, should be strolling through games like last nights.  It wasn't until Walker, Henderson and McDonald came on that we started to use the ball better in the final 3rd.

all that said, we won, its all that matters.  We move on to Wednesday.  Every game is a cup final now and if we don't treat them that way, we will go down.

1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Like who? 

I’ll give you Joel, Dikamona and potentially Garrucio. 2 of which are stand-ins anyway. 

majority 😂

1 minute ago, DS98 said:

Like who? 

I’ll give you Joel, Dikamona and potentially Garrucio. 2 of which are stand-ins anyway. 

majority 😂

Garrucio was poor last night and clearly not back to full match fitness. He’ll do ok when he’s up to speed. 

1 minute ago, DS98 said:

Like who? 

majority 😂

Even Dikamona is decent enough as a backup at this level. 
Yes, he was honking in the first half but that was due to the role he was asked to play. When we moved to a back 4 he was fine.

8 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

We were battered by the conditions more than we were Falkirk to be honest.

Both teams were battered by the conditions

I have a feeling that Zlamal will start on Wednesday.  Joel was probably put in against Falkirk so as to not totally shatter his confidence.  However, although he kept a clean sheet, his handling was awful.  I don’t think he done enough to keep his place and think Zlamal with get another chance now.

5 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Tbh he is beginning to look like a rabbit in headlights . Tonight’s team selection was very random. He needs to realise that experience will get us  out of the mess we are in not kids. Tonight’s performance was embarrassingly bad regardless of weather conditions. 

I fear the same. 

Come on Daniel prove my fears and doubts wrong. 

Edited by hearts00

Joel flapped the ball into the six yard box a couple of times. OK conditions were awful but his inability to catch a ball makes him no good.

We were lucky. But the cup is all about luck. 

46 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

I have a feeling that Zlamal will start on Wednesday.  Joel was probably put in against Falkirk so as to not totally shatter his confidence.  However, although he kept a clean sheet, his handling was awful.  I don’t think he done enough to keep his place and think Zlamal with get another chance now.

Yeah you might be right. 

Feel bad for Joel as conditions can’t have helped him either but thought he parried/dropped/floundered with the ball again a few times and was fortunate to keep a clean sheet. 

Dikamona’s back pass though 😱 can’t blame Joel for that kinda defending error. Did well to clear it. 

Oddly enough,  In some ways I think it’s good Stendel changed it about, then changed back. Plus the honesty of him about it afterwards. 🤷‍♀️

We won. No harm done, are through in the cup.

and hopefully we’ll have learned more as a result of last night. Wednesday will be completely different set of circumstances obviously, and I trust Daniel to respond to that. 

6 minutes ago, kila said:

Joel flapped the ball into the six yard box a couple of times. OK conditions were awful but his inability to catch a ball makes him no good.

We were lucky. But the cup is all about luck. 

👍

The important things from our perspective were 1. To win the tie and 2.To do that at the first time of asking. We did that. It was not pretty and the weather actually suited Falkirk more than us.  Let’s get concentrating  now on getting our league position improved and look forward to the next round if the cup.

9 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Weather was shocking Drew , we are through, thats the important factor.

Gordon Ramsay

Every game we play we seem to totally lose our heads for a 15 minute spell. It's worrying and needs to stop ASAP if we have any chance of staying in this league. 

The conditions were horrendous last night but I have to say I thought it was a pretty poor performance from us. Didn't really create anything from open play apart from Hendersons miss when they were tiring. 

One thing I did notice is we didn't play any long balls. Encouraging but if you don't have the players to unlock defences it just ends up going back the way and this happened a fair few times last night. 

Edited by Gordon Ramsay

8 hours ago, NLTFTh said:

JP tumbled 3 times and got his angles wrong for the second shot that returned off the post, thankfully though nobody gets anything for hitting the metalwork. 

It was good to see him actually get off the ground to watch the ball come back off the bar, small steps, maybe some day he will actually get a good hand to a similar shot and turn it over the bar.. Not holding my breath BTW.. 

I noticed again at the chance Falkirk had in the first half when Dikamona midjudged the header, his position was so close to the near post, that a half decent shot across the goal would have beaten him, as May's did at St Johnstone. 

For a keeper, there just seems to be so much of the basics lacking

Adam_the_legend
1 hour ago, Getintaethem said:

I hope that’s the case. JP is not only a terrible shot stopper but he can’t catch the ball. If your GK fumbles an unchallenged ball into the box it’s time for a new GK. 

To be fair, a Cup tie against a League 1 team is the exact time to try a change of formation.  It didn't work, and Stendel knows it. 

I'd rather experiment with it at Falkirk rather than at Parkhead! 

20 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I’m more disappointed that in 13 years of being on JKB and after 1000’s of posts you’ve made £0.00 in donations @busby1985

£1 for every sensible post I post going forward 😂 

20 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Weather was shocking Drew , we are through, thats the important factor.

It was, didn’t effect Falkirk tho. 

We are through and I am happy. Keeper dropped the ball like 3 times and for the 2nd shot that hit the post, his positioning was outrageously bad. Dikamona was awful but settled after the formation change but to be honest, I think it was more cause Falkirk ran out of steam. Langer and Irving slowed the game down too much and we went backwards or sideways far too often like the Levein days. Langer is obviously new to the game up here but needs to be quicker. We are supposed to play high press attacking football, we’ve only seen that against Rangers. The intensity to our play isn’t there. Was evident for about 30 minutes on Wednesday but the press wasn’t. We are being turned super easy because we are playing a high line with no pressure being applied to the ball. If we play anywhere near that level against Celtic, free scoring Celtic, we will lose very heavily. 

11 minutes ago, tian447 said:

To be fair, a Cup tie against a League 1 team is the exact time to try a change of formation.  It didn't work, and Stendel knows it. 

I'd rather experiment with it at Falkirk rather than at Parkhead! 

I agree with this. His comments afterwards acknowledged what didn’t work as well which gives me hope. 

My suspicion is that the players themselves were largely responsible for the tactics and shape last night and the second half against Killie. The manager has been quick to distance himself from both performances.

10 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

£1 for every sensible post I post going forward 😂 

It was, didn’t effect Falkirk tho. 

We are through and I am happy. Keeper dropped the ball like 3 times and for the 2nd shot that hit the post, his positioning was outrageously bad. Dikamona was awful but settled after the formation change but to be honest, I think it was more cause Falkirk ran out of steam. Langer and Irving slowed the game down too much and we went backwards or sideways far too often like the Levein days. Langer is obviously new to the game up here but needs to be quicker. We are supposed to play high press attacking football, we’ve only seen that against Rangers. The intensity to our play isn’t there. Was evident for about 30 minutes on Wednesday but the press wasn’t. We are being turned super easy because we are playing a high line with no pressure being applied to the ball. If we play anywhere near that level against Celtic, free scoring Celtic, we will lose very heavily. 

Know where you’re coming from but keep the faith in Stendel. He seems to get our predicament and I think he’ll approach the Celtic game differently- as he’ll have to. 

9 hours ago, ramrod said:

I'm absolutely delighted, why ? Because we're through   The end ....

Not easy to catch a wet ball in that wind yesterday, did you see the rugby?

Sorry, quoted the wrong post.

Edited by graygo

10 hours ago, busby1985 said:

We definately rode our luck,another poor perfomance,plenty of possession with no end result.Not convinced DS is the answer,need to be given time though,first division looking more likely.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Garrucio was poor last night and clearly not back to full match fitness. He’ll do ok when he’s up to speed. 

This guy is never a footballer. He's dreadful, truly dreadful whether fully fit or otherwise. He was an absolute stand out as the worst player on the pitch last night by a country mile. Not even good enough for the bench unfortunately