We have another Cathro

Walter Kidd

The team he took over were in freefall, terrible to watch, unmotivated, slow, disinterested and lacking any positivity. He had little time in between games to really get his ideas across and was just a chance to see who he could rely on.

For me his term started properly after the winter break,so I ask

have we seen an improvement?  Yes

Have we been more entertained? Yes

Have we seen an increase in tempo? Yes

Do the players look motivated? Yes

Does the team look more positive? Yes

There will be blips, he needs time to get the team drilled but I fully believe he is making a massive difference already. 

As for the Cathro comparison, that is lazy and unjust, the only thing they have in common is they have "a philosophy of football" unfortunately for Cathro he lacked the basic skills to communicate it, had no leadership, no charisma and no strength of will to impose it. Our Daniel has all of that in abundance and it looks as though the players are buying into it

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Hearts1975

• GinRummy

• jake

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

We don't have 2 years though, do we? Two more results like Kilmarnock and we might not be able to recover ...

Because......?

13 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We'll be cut adrift at the bottom ... ?

We don’t have much choice but to stick with Stendel so we will see what happens. Here’s hoping for a couple of good results. 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We don’t have much choice but to stick with Stendel so we will see what happens. Here’s hoping for a couple of good results. 

Agreed. To make a managerial change now would be ridiculous. We just have to hope that we can overcome the defensive deficiencies of the Stendel system and start winning games against bottom six sides. Our only two victories this season have been against Hibs and Rangers, games where the crowd carries the players. We need to get behind the team for the upcoming games against Hamilton and St Mirren.

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Marooned??

Indeed!

56 minutes ago, KingRudi51 said:

I'm not impressed with what I've seen if I am honest, Rangers game aside.

I'm also not sure why so many are so desperate to defend him and sing his praises.

His record since coming in is appalling.

Perhaps the people singing his praises have actually noticed the difference in the way we play and are happier. I know I am.

We need results but seeing a Hearts team trying to win again is lovely.

1 hour ago, KingRudi51 said:

I'm also not sure why so many are so desperate to defend him and sing his praises.

How do you feel about the year before he arrived? Do you think it was an easy task to turn us around from a joint bottom of the league club to something better?

1 hour ago, Bozi said:

For me his term started properly after the winter break, so I ask have we seen an improvement?  Yes

Have we been more entertained? Yes

Have we seen an increase in tempo? Yes

Do the players look motivated? Yes

Does the team look more positive? Yes

There will be blips, he needs time to get the team drilled but I fully believe he is making a massive difference already. 

I agree but its results that matter in this relegation fight, on that front he is not really making any difference. Since the break it’s 2 points from 9 against the bottom six sides round about us. That simply will not get us out of trouble. Forget tonight but come Saturday we must get 3 points from this improvement, motivated, higher tempo, positive group of players...

Do people never tire of moaning about the manager. Just back him, whether we win, lose or draw; Whether we get relegated, escape or even win the Cup. It is the support in supporter...What we need to do is pretty effing obvious to me.

2 hours ago, KingRudi51 said:

1236240898_HobbitAlert.jpg.f3125844e12f51272337c09be0670124.jpg

Its an unpopular opinion, I just believe people are seeing what they want to believe to be true. There isn't really any evidence of us "playing better". 

The guy has had the worst start to his managerial career since he got the job. 

He inherited a decent squad bereft of confidence and he hasn't done anything to pick it up. We have never looked more frail at the back in all my time following hearts.  The gegenpress has been sussed and unless he gets alot of cash to get some new bodies in it isnt going to work. This team has been built around direct football. You cant change that in 3-6 months. Its a failure on his part not recognising this and It will ultimately be his fault if we go down. 

Guest ToqueJambo
20 minutes ago, KingRudi51 said:

Its an unpopular opinion, I just believe people are seeing what they want to believe to be true. There isn't really any evidence of us "playing better". 

He inherited a decent squad bereft of confidence and he hasn't done anything to pick it up. We have never looked more frail at the back in all my time following hearts.  The gegenpress has been sussed and unless he gets alot of cash to get some new bodies in it isnt going to work. This team has been built around direct football. You cant change that in 3-6 months. Its a failure on his part not recognising this and It will ultimately be his fault if we go down. 

No it hasn't. For direct football (I assume you mean front to back long ball football) you need a target man who scores goals and hold the ball up and speedy wide men to run onto long balls. We have none of those things. Aside from Berra our defenders all want to play football rather than punt it, and we have midfielders who want to keep it on the deck rather than just being runners. None of Naismith, Washington, Walker and now Boyce are suited to direct, long ball football.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 12/02/2020 at 08:03, Mr Elwood P said:

Not justified, simply compared. How else would you measure the current Hearts manager, other than against their predecessor(s)? Every Hearts striker is compared and contrasted to John Robertson. Naturally Daniel Stendel will be compared to Ian Cathro and Craig Levein, as they held the managerial position directly before him.

Not after 10 games surely? In his 3 seasons Levein started solidly, then was briefly excellent then was terrible. Stendel might do it the other way around given time. Stendel's 10-13 games or so should no more define him as a manager of Hearts than Levein's 10-13 at the start of last season.

Decisions around the goalkeeper position aside I think Stendel is getting more out of the players and delivering better football. I like how he seems to be trying really hard to build a better team spirit and connect with the players and fans. He also showed in the first half vs Celtic that we could play slightly more within ourselves and hold our won against celtic. We were undone by two goalie mistakes primarily and then experienced a familiar collapse at Celtic Park.

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, KingRudi51 said:

Gie yersel peace!

I'm 100 % behind him and will pass judgement in 12 months time.  Not only did he inherit several duds, he has also had to contend with the never ending injuries which dog us.  Sibbick has added a new touch to this by suffering from an illness.

Give the guy a proper chance.

10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not after 10 games surely? In his 3 seasons Levein started solidly, then was briefly excellent then was terrible. Stendel might do it the other way around given time. Stendel's 10-13 games or so should no more define him as a manager of Hearts than Levein's 10-13 at the start of last season.

Decisions around the goalkeeper position aside I think Stendel is getting more out of the players and delivering better football. I like how he seems to be trying really hard to build a better team spirit and connect with the players and fans. He also showed in the first half vs Celtic that we could play slightly more within ourselves and hold our won against celtic. We were undone by two goalie mistakes primarily and then experienced a familiar collapse at Celtic Park.

Incredible levels of positivity for the new manager. If Levein had overseen the last 10 games nobody would be taking any positives out of anything. It would be ‘only’ Falkirk and Airdrie, ‘easy draw’, ‘unacceptable’, ‘killing the club’ ... Tomorrow is make or break. We’ve got three international strikers, two international defenders a few very good young players. Goalkeepers aside I don’t think any bottom six team would not want the vast majority of ours players.

10 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Time to start a Stendel oot thread, keep it live for 2 years. 

It's the only way. 

Two years? That’s even more optimistic than @ToqueJambo ...

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Would prefer to judge him once he has put a settled side out for a run of games. However, given the precarious predicament we find ourselves in, he's more likely to field players who are already carrying injuries or who are not entirely fit, which in turn can lead to erratic performances and inconsistent results, which taken together  generally exacerbates the situation. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Incredible levels of positivity for the new manager. If Levein had overseen the last 10 games nobody would be taking any positives out of anything. It would be ‘only’ Falkirk and Airdrie, ‘easy draw’, ‘unacceptable’, ‘killing the club’ ... Tomorrow is make or break. We’ve got three international strikers, two international defenders a few very good young players. Goalkeepers aside I don’t think any bottom six team wouldn’t the majority of ours players.

Two years? That’s even more optimistic than @ToqueJambo

There was definitely not the same levels of positivity about levein during his horrendous run of results but some of the excuses were belters. My favourite, or one of them, was folk writing off the league cup group performances as ‘basically pre season games’😂 Another was players couldn’t cope with fan pressure 😀 that one was lapped up on here with everybody on jkb blaming each other.

as the big man said himself ‘it’s a good laugh isn’t it’

Edited by GinRummy

12 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

There was definitely not the same levels of positivity about levein during his horrendous run of results but some of the excuses were belters. My favourite, or one of them, was folk writing off the league cup group performances as ‘basically pre season games’😂 Another was players couldn’t cope with fan pressure 😀 that one was lapped up on here with everybody on jkb blaming each other.

as the big man said himself ‘it’s a good laugh isn’t it’

To be fair, the only thing thing that matters in cup football is being in the draw for the next round. We won a group with Dundee United in it, beat Motherwell and beat Aberdeen. Job done. Not sure it’s fan pressure but some players definitely struggle to play for ’bigger teams’. See it a lot at properly big teams like Rangers and Man U. Webster said himself he couldn’t handle the pressure at Rangers. We see it to a lesser extent at Hearts as well. Is that the size of the club or the demands of the fans though?

44 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

To be fair, the only thing thing that matters in cup football is being in the draw for the next round. We won a group with Dundee United in it, beat Motherwell and beat Aberdeen. Job done. Not sure it’s fan pressure but some players definitely struggle to play for ’bigger teams’. See it a lot at properly big teams like Rangers and Man U. Webster said himself he couldn’t handle the pressure at Rangers. We see it to a lesser extent at Hearts as well. Is that the size of the club or the demands of the fans though?

Some people were always very fair to Craig. The thing I agree with you most about the current situation is Stendel doesn’t have the time that Craig had. That’s just a fact. Hopefully that won’t matter but if he can’t get the job done it’ll be a shame because, one way or another, I think he’ll be gone. Would be nice to see what he could do with a pre-season behind him though.

Салатные палочки
12 hours ago, KingRudi51 said:

Well that is simply untrue.  

It should have been ten
13 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Friday night .....

it’s Daniel Stendel night ....

time to deliver ....

make or break....

HERO or ZERO????

Once the players step over the white line it’s up to them to deliver.

1 hour ago, It should have been ten said:

Once the players step over the white line it’s up to them to deliver.

Stendel has thrown the gauntlet down to the players. Let’s see if the are man enough and good enough to rise to it.

It should have been ten
4 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Stendel has thrown the gauntlet down to the players. Let’s see if the are man enough and good enough to rise to it.

Absolutely! 

• 2 weeks later...
Nicholas Brody

It's amazing how the more prominent posters on this thread have gone AWOL.

Even more so, the Levein backers are absolutely silent now.

Nucky Thompson

How to make an absolute tit of yourself :rofl:

The OP should be too embarrassed to post on this board again 

It should have been ten
3 minutes ago, Nicholas Brody said:

It's amazing how the more prominent posters on this thread have gone AWOL.

Even more so, the Levein backers are absolutely silent now.

I backed Levein and am absolutely loving Stendel!

It should have been ten
1 minute ago, Jamie86 said:

This, along with the "Get Lockie in there to sort them out!" nonsense, has to stop! 

This 

On 06/02/2020 at 16:11, Bridge of Djoum said:

Did I say otherwise? There are genuine concerns and justified criticism and there is trolling. Really easy to discern between the 2.

Reading through the thread and this post sums it up. You can see the guys who were genuinely worried we’d gone the wrong way with DS and you can see the tossers who were loving every minute of it.

Just now, GinRummy said:

Reading through the thread and this post sums it up. You can see the guys who were genuinely worried we’d gone the wrong way with DS and you can see the tossers who were loving every minute of it.

Kickback is always a good place when the Hibs have been put in their beds.

:groundhog:

4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Kickback is always a good place when the Hibs have been put in their beds.

:groundhog:

Will be an easier journey to Hampden now a few of them have decided they’re no going anymore. 😂. Maroon scarves flapping out car windows all the way along the M8. 

Sexton Hardcastle

Shame my thread calling out the doubters and little bitches was pulled by admin last night.

Get it right up you soft as shite twats. Scrambling for semi final tickets no doubt.