Can you swim?

Tazio

4 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

My favourite swimming story.

I was born with Scoliosis and wore back braces from 9 months till I was 12 and got it operated on. Because of my braces I was quite strong in my shoulders as a kid as bending at the back was difficult. I enjoyed swimming and was pretty decent due to my strong shoulders.

I attended the midlothian football teams swim gala when I was 10 or 11. I was in the breaststroke final but ended up almost missing it as we never heard it announced. We had to rush and my Dad had to take my brace off at the side of the pool in front of all the other parents who had obviously never seen such a thing. As I walked round to the start parents were wishing me well and telling me just to try my best and not worry about the result which I thought odd. Anyhoo I blitzed the competition and raced to victory resulting in loads of folk cheering and my Dad overheard someone who had tears in her eyes shouting " I cant believe the wee spastic won!"

Obviously not laughing at you Kaiser but i did pish myself laughing at this bit. 

11 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Obviously not laughing at you Kaiser but i did pish myself laughing at this bit. 

Think my Dad was laughing too much to correct her.

:gok:

At my primary we used to go to Victoria (Vicky) Baths down near the bonded distillery in Leith. The swimming teacher, named McDonald, was very intimidating and a grumpy old git who used to arrive on a massive motorbike for what was the late 70's and was clearly not even remotely interested in coaching the kids. He would just say something along the lines of "OK, everybody, 25 widths front crawl" or whatever and then vanish for the rest of the lesson. My brother swears that one of the kids in his class replied "What about me Sir, I can't swim" to which he replied "Errr, you just do 15"!! 

Never do it other than when on holiday once a year and do quite enjoy putting a few lengths in. No fear of water, but would not like to depend on my abilities in a water based emergency situation. 

Got caught in some strong waves one year at the beach trying to get out the water and it was like being stuck in a washing machine. Not enjoyable experience and made me very wary of sea swimming unless it’s perfectly calm waters.   

2 hours ago, graygo said:

It's further up the page.

I wish I didn't keep losing me birds. :) 

It's a different one to that one, graygo. It was set in an indoor pool, with a flapper girl and 1920s music (iirc). It may even have been live action rather than a cartoon.

Got my badges in primary at Doc Bells in the 90's. Actually don't think ive been swimming since I was about 18. I'd probably be to embarrassed to go to the Commie and attempt a length of the pool, maybe I've forgotten. 

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My dad couldn't swim, someone threw him in a pool when he was young, like yourself.

The best I ever managed to get him into water was up to his chest in a pool on holiday, him holding onto the side with one hand and onto me with the other, trust me it was a major achievement even getting him into a pool in the first place, far less going up to his chest.

After he'd done that, he was quite happy to do it by himself, still held onto the sides but didn't need me to hold onto him.

Go for it, never too late or old to learn, I'm sure there will be classes for non-swimmers to learn how to swim at the leisure centre.

Thanks bud, im going to see about lessons.

12 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Only learned to swim in my 20s. Had a real fear of open water before a guy at work offered to help me, and another bloke, overcome the fear. A couple of visits to the Commonwealth Pool and I could swim,  slowly and not very efficiently.

Before this, I used to feel I was missing out on fun, if on a beach holiday. Now I only swim on holiday and can pick it up again easily.

I had a couple of visits to the sauna at the Commie. That was enough for Me!

I learnt to swim at Wester Hailes baths aged about 7. I represented my school and was in a swimming club. I haven't swum for about two years but I wouldn't have any hesitation.

I once swam about two miles out off the west coast of Ireland. Far enough that I could hardly see the beach. Probably not a very clever thing to do since I was ages from safety if anything happened.

11 hours ago, indianajones said:

I shouldn't have done but I did too :qqb006:

Just couldn't imagine myself ever forgetting. If I didnt swim for another 20 years years I reckon I would still jump in and away I would go. 

Something that has become second nature for me. 

19 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

was thrown in the deep end at donaldsons school when i was in the cubs, that gave me

the fear, now live 200 yds from drumbrae leisure centre, thinking about lessons.

Would love to be able to swim.

I had a lesson but I failed miserably and it ended pretty quickly. The first thing they asked me to do was hold my breath and duck under the water, which I couldn't do, so it went no further!

I need hypnotherapy, or something like that. 

7 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I had a lesson but I failed miserably and it ended pretty quickly. The first thing they asked me to do was hold my breath and duck under the water, which I couldn't do, so it went no further!

I need hypnotherapy, or something like that. 

Thing is bud i love boats so ive no real fear of water, unlike flying , but that duck in the pool at a young age

is maybe a wee factor, 

18 hours ago, redjambo said:

It's a different one to that one, graygo. It was set in an indoor pool, with a flapper girl and 1920s music (iirc). It may even have been live action rather than a cartoon.

Ah ok.

Bridge of Djoum

Put a few lengths in last night. 

then went for a swim. 

On 05/02/2020 at 08:23, Bridge of Djoum said:

You've been treading water here for years.

Treading water? He's been lower than Jacques Cousteu 

On 05/02/2020 at 12:54, allyby said:

Never known myself not to be able to Swim, I was practically brought up in Port Seton Pond, was able to dive of the high dive at 7 years old, remember that place fondly esp the midnight bathing and getting a hot cup of Bovril with my bus money and ended up walking home to Tranent instead of using Terry Wiles Bus, happy days.

You’re a better man than me jumping of that high dive. Fond memories of the Pond Hall which was adjacent where during the Glasgow Fait it resembled the gunfight at Ok corral. Terry Wiles busses took me from the Pans to Tranent in the 50s on a Sunday when we all visited my Granny. Happy 😃 days.

14 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Put a few lengths in last night. 

then went for a swim. 

:laugh: