The TV Licence.

Suso Santana

4 minutes ago, andrewjambo said:

I can't find any links that quote his £15m per year salary

I remember it being documented a couple of years ago. It's not a salary as it's not a direct payment to him, hence them being able to make it look like they only pay him a fraction of it.

It'll be out there, maybe just buried a bit deeper.

5 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I remember it being documented a couple of years ago. It's not a salary as it's not a direct payment to him, hence them being able to make it look like they only pay him a fraction of it.

It'll be out there, maybe just buried a bit deeper.

Still can't find any links.  He's paid circa £1.5m salary per year from the BBC (which is vastly over the odds as presenting motd is easy and plenty of others could do it) and in addition has a production company that's made a few documentaries for the BBC but I can't see the basis for claiming he's paid £15m per year.

13 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Value for money? Possibly. If there was no license fee would I pay extra to add it onto my Sky package? Probably not.

None of the above is the point though. I turn my TV on and use Netflix. I watch movies on Sky Cinema, I watch football on Sky Sports. I CHOOSE to pay for all that and if I don't pay for it then I don't get nasty letters or a court summons, they just don't let me watch it anymore.

The BBC are operating a non volountary subscription service in a time where it's possible for them to block their channels from those that don't want to pay. The TV license shouldn't be funding radio channels either. You don't need a TV license or a radio license to listen to the radio (domestically). 

This debate isn't about what the BBC provides. It's about a forced "subscription". It's literally a tax on TV. If the BBC was state run and impartial and the government actually called it a tax it would be more palatable.

Yep, spot on. I find it strange how there seems to be people on this thread who on the face of it appear to disagree with you, but have neglected to address the point I've highlighted above..

2 hours ago, andrewjambo said:

Still can't find any links.  He's paid circa £1.5m salary per year from the BBC (which is vastly over the odds as presenting motd is easy and plenty of others could do it) and in addition has a production company that's made a few documentaries for the BBC but I can't see the basis for claiming he's paid £15m per year.

I don't really care to be honest, we're not in a court of law in the middle of a fraud trial.

A poster said something that I agreed with and I remembered being documented. You can choose to take that at face value or demand evidence that nobody can be bothered looking for. 

I'm about to raise a glass to the NHS instead of worrying about what the BBC paid big lugs.

15 hours ago, FWJ said:

Does Sky have adverts?

If so we do all pay for it.

No we don't. We buy products from companies that buy advertising space from Sky. There's a huge difference. 

3 hours ago, FWJ said:

How do these companies pay for the advertising space?

I can see your argument, I just think it's a bit of a stretch for you to feel like you're paying for Sky. You must feel warm and fuzzy inside then as you're also helping pay a checkout girls rent and a packer at proctor and gambles horse riding lessons. You're paying everything for everybody. You probably own the home and education of every kid in China by your logic.

Just now, IronJambo said:

I can see your argument, I just think it's a bit of a stretch for you to feel like you're paying for Sky. You must feel warm and fuzzy inside then as you're also helping pay a checkout girls rent and a packer at proctor and gambles horse riding lessons. You're paying everything for everybody. You probably own the home and education of every kid in China by your logic.

Yup, but the point stands.

We all pay for commercial television.

(Unless you work very hard at avoiding companies who pay to advertise on TV / Radio.  There was a spell a few years back when people tried to avoid companies that were dishing out huge sums to the Tory party and these days some avoid companies involved in fossil-fuels etc)

I think of the BBC like public funding for libraries and galleries.

We might not all use them but they provide a need for the general public and allow niche and non commercial interests to be freely accessible. 

The licence fee funds the BBC TV channels, National Radio stations that cater for a wide range of interests and demographics, BBC News, World News, BBC Parliament,  CBeebies,  News and Sport on the internet,  BBC Sounds App, iPlayer,  local radio and regional news.

Netflix is great but Netflix is also 12BN in debt.

In short, the BBC is outstanding value for money.

4 hours ago, FWJ said:

Yup, but the point stands.

We all pay for commercial television.

(Unless you work very hard at avoiding companies who pay to advertise on TV / Radio.  There was a spell a few years back when people tried to avoid companies that were dishing out huge sums to the Tory party and these days some avoid companies involved in fossil-fuels etc)

Must be tough living your life with a chip on your shoulder with who has to pay what from their profits. Does it also bother you that you're funding big oil companies when you buy anything whatsoever?  Advertising is just a cost of them running their business, it's as big a necessity as power to their factories.

Eddie Stobart doesn't owe you anything because he sent a lorry up the M6 to put something in a shop that you bought and Sky don't owe you anything for airing a commercial that you didn't watch.

52 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Must be tough living your life with a chip on your shoulder with who has to pay what from their profits. Does it also bother you that you're funding big oil companies when you buy anything whatsoever?  Advertising is just a cost of them running their business, it's as big a necessity as power to their factories.

Eddie Stobart doesn't owe you anything because he sent a lorry up the M6 to put something in a shop that you bought and Sky don't owe you anything for airing a commercial that you didn't watch.

It’s not from their profits though - it’s a budgeted part of their expenditure, which is paid for by the prices they charge.

But it’s not me with any chips.  I’m happy to pay for a public service, and for the service they provide I think it’s very good value.  I also realise that commercial television isn’t “free”.

Also I’m not cool enough to boast about breaking the law.

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

We might not all use them but they provide a need for the general public and allow niche and non commercial interests to be freely accessible. 

The licence fee funds the BBC TV channels, National Radio stations that cater for a wide range of interests and demographics, BBC News, World News, BBC Parliament,  CBeebies,  News and Sport on the internet,  BBC Sounds App, iPlayer,  local radio and regional news.

The BBC is value for  money but that doesn't get away from the fact that subscription is enforced and people should have the choice over whether or not they wish to subscribe.

The BBC’s revenue from the licence fee is about £4b which is about the same as advertising revenue for ITV + Sky.  (Of course Sky get billions & billions more from subscriptions).

If the BBC were to be funded from advertising rather than a licence fee do you think companies would simply double their TV advertising budget (and increasing prices to accommodate this) or would they play BBC, ITV & Sky off each other to get the cheapest?  I reckon the latter - less money to go around, cheaper programmes - imports, repeats, soaps, trash.

No risk-taking, no experimental programming, nothing that might not make a profit.

No thanks.

edit:  The UK is hardly unique in having a TV licence

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

Edited by FWJ

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

It’s not from their profits though - it’s a budgeted part of their expenditure, which is paid for by the prices they charge.

You're still not paying for commercial television by buying a Mars bar, you're only paying for a Mars bar 

4 hours ago, Costanza said:

I'm not sure television shows constitute a need but I do agree with your point that there is value in the BBC as a public service. I'd argue that if that's the case it should be funded by normal taxes rather than forced subscription.

I do watch stuff on iPlayer because I'm paying for it anyway but if I could opt out of BBC services but still watch live sport via other providers (legally) then I would.

Edited by Taffin

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

I'm not sure television shows constitute a need but I do agree with your point that there is value in the BBC as a public service. I'd argue that if that's the case it should be funded by normal taxes rather than forced subscription.

I do watch stuff on iPlayer because I'm paying for it anyway but if I could opt out of BBC services but still watch live sport via other providers (legally) then I would.

That's a fair point regarding general taxation paying for it.

It is in my view,  a cultural need for the country and we'd be worse off without it but can see the other point of view 

Space Mackerel

There was actually a good debate on Newsnight, BBC2  last night about all this. I didn’t pay for the privilege  😊

Space Mackerel
4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I pay it because Sky TV grassed me in to them. 

Bloody Murdoch! He’s McCabe!

I took a day off work as they sent me a letter saying they were coming round.

Got the rolls and bacon in.

Ignorant basturts never turned up. 😕

Just now, Space Mackerel said:

I took a day off work as they sent me a letter saying they were coming round.

Got the rolls and bacon in.

Ignorant basturts never turned up. 😕

Without an invite and then they bump you? 

Cheeky feckerz!

Dont not invite them again!

I cancelled mine and gave the reason that i only use my tv to play games on my xbox (which is true)

They were fine with it and actually gave me a refund. 

Yet i still constantly get threatening letters through the door. 

I hate to think what the effects of that are to wee old women that can't affort a tin of beans. 

I've also had a hand delivered letter,  Heard the door bell, couldn't be arsed answering it, looked out the window and there was middle aged woman and man in a bog standard car, they also went to my neighbours door. 

Pricks. 

Just now, Suso Santana said:

I've also had a hand delivered letter,  Heard the door bell, couldn't be arsed answering it, looked out the window and there was middle aged woman and man in a bog standard car, they also went to my neighbours door. 

Pricks. 

Desperados FFS!

Probably costs the taxpayer, licence payer a hell of a lot less in tax per year than Amazon gets away with not paying.

There needs to be a complete review of how efficient the BBC really is and ensure 'financial' waste is limited as much as possible with a view to reducing the fee, but that will end up job losses as much as anything.

Really don't want it to go down advertising route.  There is some really damned decent stuff that you can watch uninterrupted on iplayer.  All4 for example is now up to 4 minutes on their advert breaks.  You can get round it by say streaming a series overnight when sleeping and watch later with no adverts.  But a hassle.  Not sure how much the non BBC broadcasters charge per month to go advert free.  Think ITV may  be around 7 quid.

Anyway the licence fee isn't the biggest concern to the BBC and the citizens of the UK just now.  It's this horrible government's pressure being but on them to no longer be impartial and move towards a 'state' tv model rather than a national broadcaster.

Edited by DETTY29

14 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

There was actually a good debate on Newsnight, BBC2  last night about all this. I didn’t pay for the privilege  😊

Naughty ☺️, the auld age pensioners should get it for free, this countries a joke.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Great BBC coverage of the game tonight. Well worth the licence fee eh? 

The muppets couldn’t even wipe the camera lens when needed.

Space Mackerel
11 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The muppets couldn’t even wipe the camera lens when needed.

That's got to be one of the most embarrassing outside broadcasts in years.

The Real Maroonblood
29 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

That's got to be one of the most embarrassing outside broadcasts in years.

I agree.

2 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Great BBC coverage of the game tonight. Well worth the licence fee eh? 

We should be grateful for the crumbs from the table, though. World-class broadcaster and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s bullshit is what it is and it’ll die a death. Subscribe or allow adverts otherwise the next generation or the one after will kill it dead.

14 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s bullshit is what it is and it’ll die a death. Subscribe or allow adverts otherwise the next generation or the one after will kill it dead.

Yup. Like a lot of things though, it has taken social media to do anything about it. 

The internet might have it's bad points but it definitely has it's pluses. 

I read somewhere that only in britain could you be sent to jail for not paying your TV licence and be able to watch TV for free in jail!!!

54 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I read somewhere that only in britain could you be sent to jail for not paying your TV licence and be able to watch TV for free in jail!!!

Hah, that's funny. 

They only threaten you with jail, not sure anybody has actually ended up there. 

They just want your money and will threaten you with all sorts to get it, and it has been working. 

They should be put in jail themselves .

The link i provided proves that they are at it. Just don't answer the door. 

The only time people get done is when they let them in and give them a signature. 

They will tell you it's for a new tv license or whatever, but it's basically an admission of guilt. So many naive people have been taken advantage of. 

Edited by Space Pirate

52 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Hah, that's funny. 

They only threaten you with jail, not sure anybody has actually ended up there. 

They just want your money and will threaten you with all sorts to get it, and it has been working. 

They should be put in jail themselves .

The link i provided proves that they are at it. Just don't answer the door. 

The only time people get done is when they let them in and give them a signature. 

They will tell you it's for a new tv license or whatever, but it's basically an admission of guilt. So many naive people have been taken advantage of. 

Quick google search uncovered this from a few years back https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/599049/TV-Licence-jailed-England-BBC-fee-Scotland-fines

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Quick google search uncovered this from a few years back https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/599049/TV-Licence-jailed-England-BBC-fee-Scotland-fines

Ha. It's bullshit mate. 

Scare tactics. 

Another reason to support independence right there. 

Edited by Space Pirate