The TV Licence.

Suso Santana

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Glottis said:

Because it's right.

The BBC is ****ing fantastic despite how shit the Scottish sport section of it is.

The documentaries are second to none.

Occasionally decent drama

The rest shite.

It's amazing value for money.

BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4, BBC Scotland, Alba, CBBC, Cbeebies, News, Parliament, S4C, iplayer plus all the radio channels (10 national, 6 regional and 40 local) plus the BBC owns half of the UKTV network (Alibi, Dave, Drama, Eden, Gold, W and Yesterday)

18 TV channels, at least 17 radio stations and their online streaming service for £13 a month.

If the license fee was scrapped and your normal cable/satellite package put up by £13 a month you'd barely notice.

It's a racket. It's great value for money...if you want to watch what they show live. For those of us who don't, but want to watch other 'live tv' then it's a total con.

North Berwick Jambo

Biased, outdated pish , definitely not worth the money &  I long for the day it disappears altogether in Scotland. 

I'd pay the money just for 6Music.

The thought of just having commercial radio available is frightening. 

TV, radio, website; it's fantastic value for money IMO.

50 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Who pays for a license in this day and age? 

People who aren’t blasé about breaking the law and who appreciate what a public service broadcaster does.

And people who have seen TV in other countries.

47 minutes ago, Cade said:

BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4, BBC Scotland, Alba, CBBC, Cbeebies, News, Parliament, S4C, iplayer plus all the radio channels (10 national, 6 regional and 40 local) plus the BBC owns half of the UKTV network (Alibi, Dave, Drama, Eden, Gold, W and Yesterday)

18 TV channels, at least 17 radio stations and their online streaming service for £13 a month.

If the license fee was scrapped and your normal cable/satellite package put up by £13 a month you'd barely notice.

Correct, outstanding value for money. 

TV & Radio without adverts is worth the licence fee alone. 

Bet Lineker and his £1.5M appreciates it.

I haven't had a license for years. I don't watch the BBC.

Edited by Lovecraft

49 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

This is correct for those who want it, but what about those who don't? I don't see why I need to pay the BBC just because I stream live football on bt sport and sky sports. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

This is correct for those who want it, but what about those who don't? I don't see why I need to pay the BBC just because I stream live football on bt sport and sky sports. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yep.

What if they made you pay for Sky, even if you didn't watch it?  It's pretty much the same thing.

The BBC are a bunch of bloated,  money wasting,  out-of-touch,  self aggrandising,  overpaid shitehawks but the licence fee is probably reasonable value for enough of the content to be found amongst all the utter shite it produces.      It is remarkable that the BBC can be so horrendously wasteful and yet still produce an adequate public service in most areas within the funding model.

Edited by Victorian

I dont watch BBC, but do listen to the football on the radio. Dont really watch live TV anymore. Their documentaries are often excellent but dont miss much else, particularly the political stuff and news.

18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The BBC are a bunch of bloated,  money wasting,  out-of-touch,  self aggrandising,  overpaid shitehawks but the licence fee is probably reasonable value for enough of the content to be found amongst all the utter shite it produces.      It is remarkable that the BBC can be so horrendously wasteful and yet still produce an adequate public service in most areas within the funding model.

I heard they just hire loads of women and pay them less.

35 minutes ago, Tazio said:

People who like to think they’re edgy boast about not paying the licence. 

This. If something that costs about £12 a month? is bothering you, you probably have more serious problems in your life/mind.

8 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Yep.

What if they made you pay for Sky, even if you didn't watch it?  It's pretty much the same thing.

Does Sky have adverts?

If so we do all pay for it.

7 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

I am proud to pay the License fee, I am happy to pay the License fee, I will continue to pay the License fee

Are you proud to pay any other household bills?  That seems a bit strange.

31 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Not proud to pay it but would be embarrassed not to pay it

11 hours ago, Cade said:

Value for money? Possibly. If there was no license fee would I pay extra to add it onto my Sky package? Probably not.

None of the above is the point though. I turn my TV on and use Netflix. I watch movies on Sky Cinema, I watch football on Sky Sports. I CHOOSE to pay for all that and if I don't pay for it then I don't get nasty letters or a court summons, they just don't let me watch it anymore.

The BBC are operating a non volountary subscription service in a time where it's possible for them to block their channels from those that don't want to pay. The TV license shouldn't be funding radio channels either. You don't need a TV license or a radio license to listen to the radio (domestically). 

This debate isn't about what the BBC provides. It's about a forced "subscription". It's literally a tax on TV. If the BBC was state run and impartial and the government actually called it a tax it would be more palatable.

59 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Hey now. I'm proud to pay my gas bill. SalutingEmoji.jpg💨

4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Hey now. I'm proud to pay my gas bill. SalutingEmoji.jpg💨

I bet you've got your first one framed. 😂

Just now, Lemongrab said:

I bet you've got your first one framed. 😂

🤦🏻‍♂️ Why didn't I think of that?

I only ever framed my first council tax bill. Hung it up in my office next to my VAT return collection.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Surely you would record commercial television and fast forward through the adverts.

12 hours ago, Suso Santana said:

How is that even legal?

Why do we need to pay the BBC to watch any live tv?

Paying twice for it as it comes with a virgin package or sky, rip off.

I don't pay mine. Never have.

My parents recently got a Firestick and phoned up to cancel their TV Licence. The TV Licence guys couldn't have been more helpful, cancelled it without issue and refunded them £70.

You'd have to be mad to pay it north of the border. Especially since they pretty much don't bother enforcing it in Scotland.

23 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

You'd have to be mad to pay it north of the border. Especially since they pretty much don't bother enforcing it in Scotland.

But the TV detector vans.......

Spitonastranger
17 hours ago, Costanza said:

I'd pay the money just for 6Music.

The thought of just having commercial radio available is frightening. 

TV, radio, website; it's fantastic value for money IMO.

This and some late shows on radio scotland

2 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I don't pay mine. Never have.

My parents recently got a Firestick and phoned up to cancel their TV Licence. The TV Licence guys couldn't have been more helpful, cancelled it without issue and refunded them £70.

Mad or respect the law.

Carl Fredrickson

I watch a heck of a lot on Iplayer. I listen daily to Radio 2 and 5live. I watch live football on BBC. I use their website everyday. 

I have no issues in paying for it. I respect the views of others but the BBC produce some of the finest nature and history programmes. 

My mother died a number of years ago and her house was empty.

The house was empty of all fixtures and fittings.

But the BBC threatened to break down the door to get in as the did not believe there was no TV.

Unfortunately as I did not live there I couldn't welcome them with a pickaxe.

23 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

My mother died a number of years ago and her house was empty.

The house was empty of all fixtures and fittings.

But the BBC threatened to break down the door to get in as the did not believe there was no TV.

Unfortunately as I did not live there I couldn't welcome them with a pickaxe.

Thats shocking bud, what a shower of insensitive clowns.

19 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Bet Lineker and his £1.5M appreciates it.

I haven't had a license for years. I don't watch the BBC.

Lineker paid 10 times that. Most is undeclared as done through a private company. 

Mark Chapman not far behind. 

Folk acting like those who grudge paying an extra £14 a month like it's the spare change in their pocket are doing something wrong show some signs of being out of touch with reality.

The only live BBC I could say I regularly watch is the 20 minutes I catch Breakfast before work. 

Space Mackerel
20 hours ago, FWJ said:

People who aren’t blasé about breaking the law and who appreciate what a public service broadcaster does.

And people who have seen TV in other countries.

I just don't watch BBC at all, plus I aint paying for state propaganda  news.

Plus, they must have about 100 weather presenters on their books going by the regions. Absolute nuts.

BBC...Get in the sea!

9 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Value for money? Possibly. If there was no license fee would I pay extra to add it onto my Sky package? Probably not.

None of the above is the point though. I turn my TV on and use Netflix. I watch movies on Sky Cinema, I watch football on Sky Sports. I CHOOSE to pay for all that and if I don't pay for it then I don't get nasty letters or a court summons, they just don't let me watch it anymore.

The BBC are operating a non volountary subscription service in a time where it's possible for them to block their channels from those that don't want to pay. The TV license shouldn't be funding radio channels either. You don't need a TV license or a radio license to listen to the radio (domestically). 

This debate isn't about what the BBC provides. It's about a forced "subscription". It's literally a tax on TV. If the BBC was state run and impartial and the government actually called it a tax it would be more palatable.

Spot on. 

44 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I just don't watch BBC at all, plus I aint paying for state propaganda  news.

Plus, they must have about 100 weather presenters on their books going by the regions. Absolute nuts.

BBC...Get in the sea!

May I ask where you get your news from?

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Lineker paid 10 times that. Most is undeclared as done through a private company. 

Mark Chapman not far behind. 

Lineker is paid £15m by the BBC!!!  I don't believe that for a second - got any links that back up your claim?

2 minutes ago, andrewjambo said:

Lineker is paid £15m by the BBC!!!  I don't believe that for a second - got any links that back up your claim?

He gets paid the majority of it through his production company "Goalhanger Films". I thought his huge cut from the BBC was common knowledge.

3 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

He gets paid the majority of it through his production company "Goalhanger Films". I thought his huge cut from the BBC was common knowledge.

I can't find any links that quote his £15m per year salary