FoH - final installment of BidCo payment made - share transfer likely in April

Footballfirst

I really don't understand why people are moaning about the handover being delayed. 

It will happen. Covid-19 has created an extremely volatile unprecedented environment. I can't think of a worse time to do the handover whilst all this madness is going on. Maintaining the status quo just now is the safest direction for the club whilst we get over this hump. I actually think this sets us up nicely for control to be handed over at the end of season marked with us winning promotion assuming all goes to plan and we're A.) being promoted and B.) fans are back in the stadium at full capacity. 

Succession planning could be thought out this season. Levein seemed to think Budge was keen on appointing a CEO to run the clubs day to day affairs, so hopefully that will happen this coming season. 

Anyway, we can mark the day and kind of put a date in the calendar as the day Hearts achieved official fan ownership by lifting the Championship trophy with the optimism that comes with promotion (all going well obv). 

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Francis Albert

• Beast Boy

• Footballfirst

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Guys that I know who are part of our match day experience say differently. 

The idea that there are fans discussing and stressing over the width of our tunnel is very funny. Also sad. It's everything that's wrong with modern football and modern football fans. They all want it to be like the CL on telly.

10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The idea that there are fans discussing and stressing over the width of our tunnel is very funny. Also sad. It's everything that's wrong with modern football and modern football fans. They all want it to be like the CL on telly.

Fair point if that was the only concern regarding the new stand... it’s not.

It adds to the bigger picture of mismanagement at our club and poor decision making.  The lack of attention to detail surrounding the build of the new stand is obvious.... anyone remember to order seats...

It’s a myth that everything apart from the football part of the club  was great. 

Now is the perfect time for AB to move on. We need someone who understands how to run a football club and the need to focus on winning games above everything else.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
11 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Not arguing about that. We are a football club. Football is our business. You need money to be successful in football however. We have the money, we don’t want to lose that. We have to use that money better however. You’re not stupid, I know that. That means you know what I’m saying is correct. You must see that we need to keep doing the good things right, and improve the things that aren’t doing well. We don’t just get in to a rage and ruin the good things, because we aren’t happy about the bad. We change the bad things.

I guess that brings us back to the debate about whether Budge as CEO is a positive presence. I don’t think she is on the grounds that her oversight of the football department has been so poor. I don’t object to her staying on in some capacity tbh but we need a new head of state. That’s been the case for a while. I think she knows it too.

Independence

Wow the same posters trying their best to rubbish Anne Budge at every opportunity goes on and on. Thankfully its the same few all the time! Move on guys!

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, OTT said:

I really don't understand why people are moaning about the handover being delayed. 

It will happen. Covid-19 has created an extremely volatile unprecedented environment. I can't think of a worse time to do the handover whilst all this madness is going on. Maintaining the status quo just now is the safest direction for the club whilst we get over this hump. I actually think this sets us up nicely for control to be handed over at the end of season marked with us winning promotion assuming all goes to plan and we're A.) being promoted and B.) fans are back in the stadium at full capacity. 

Succession planning could be thought out this season. Levein seemed to think Budge was keen on appointing a CEO to run the clubs day to day affairs, so hopefully that will happen this coming season. 

Anyway, we can mark the day and kind of put a date in the calendar as the day Hearts achieved official fan ownership by lifting the Championship trophy with the optimism that comes with promotion (all going well obv). 

I know FOH has morphed into a vehicle for permanent subsidy but our pledges were not based on that model. They were based on securing fan ownership. That was seven years ago. The handover has already been delayed by years. Now some seem content for it to be delayed indefinitely with some even hoping someone comes in to buy the club forgetting or not caring that it has been bought already.

15 hours ago, Independence said:

Why do you want an exact number? Is it a fabrication that we are handing over £150,000 pm? Is it a full moon tonight? has the patients taken over the asylum? 

FFS what is your problem. I asked through complete interest because I would like to know, why would that be an issue ? I have been a FHO contributor from the start, a season ticket holder for many years and a x2 share holder and spend a lot of money in the club shop. Just to Finnish off regards your last comment I have worked in forensic psychiatry for 30 years and no they haven't taken over the asylum to answer your question. Clown

A lot is made about how much money Ann has put in and attracted to the club which is absolutely admirable however I'd ask, what is the point? Do we need lots of money to play in the Championship or compete mid-table with the likes of Livingston and St Johnstone. Surely this could all be done on a shoe string budget?

14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

A lot is made about how much money Ann has put in and attracted to the club which is absolutely admirable however I'd ask, what is the point? Do we need lots of money to play in the Championship or compete mid-table with the likes of Livingston and St Johnstone. Surely this could all be done on a shoe string budget?

The money coming in is not the problem.

The football department is/has been.

You keep the money coming in.

You sort out the football department.

You don’t risk the money coming in unnecessarily, when it’s a separate issue to the failures of the football department.

Once the football department is sorted, allied with the good income, we are in a very strong situation.

Time for the handover is now.  We have seen the end of the five plan , which is back to the future , and lets be honest we don’t need a ground hogs day sequel.

For ever grateful to AB for the investment to save us, but she is holding on for dear life, she doesn’t want to let go,

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

The money coming in is not the problem.

The football department is/has been.

You keep the money coming in.

You sort out the football department.

You don’t risk the money coming in unnecessarily, when it’s a separate issue to the failures of the football department.

Once the football department is sorted, allied with the good income, we are in a very strong situation.

We've been saying that for years though whilst going further and further backwards. The money is only useful if it makes us better on the park, Ann hasn't delivered that. Other clubs have achieved much the same with much less, rendering having more money somewhat pointless.

The fans have contributed a phenomenal amount of money which has been largely squandered and we're now effectively being told now isn't the time to transfer the shares. Now is exactly the time to do it as it would be hard for us to fall much further.

We've had shite managers for the vast majority of our history. 

We win something every so often but our trophy collection is poor for Scotland third biggest team. 

Similarly we've had great managers under shite regimes. 

All it takes is for her to get one appointment right and everything at Hearts is rosy. We aren't far away. 

She is in my lifetime, the greatest Hearts CEO for what she has done at the club and especially under the circumstances during her stint. 

If it was me I would like to stabilise the finances first. 

On the other hand why not just do it.

But controlling the timing is an opportunity. So the fans can fully enjoy it would be another consideration. 

Francis Albert
32 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The FOH subsidy alone probably exceeds turnover of most of our opponents this season

15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

We've been saying that for years though whilst going further and further backwards. The money is only useful if it makes us better on the park, Ann hasn't delivered that. Other clubs have achieved much the same with much less, rendering having more money somewhat pointless.

The fans have contributed a phenomenal amount of money which has been largely squandered and we're now effectively being told now isn't the time to transfer the shares. Now is exactly the time to do it as it would be hard for us to fall much further.

Why are you refusing to understand what I’m saying? 

The money hasn’t been used right. We need to use it better. 

The answer is clearly not to stop the money coming in.

Why are people even suggesting this is the answer? Is it just trolling? 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

They’re questioning whether Ann is the best person to be controlling the money. 

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

They’re questioning whether Ann is the best person to be controlling the money. 

She’s the reason we have the money. If you are talking about whether or not she should be as involved with how it’s spent on players, then that’s fine. That’s what I mean by “getting the football department” sorted out.

Theres folk saying the money is pointless. I don’t believe for a second that most of them are being serious though, because that would be totally stupid.

You sort out the things that need sorting. You leave the things that are doing well.

Yes, in response to your earlier reply, maybe that takes us back to the CEO/chairman debate. 

13 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Correct, the answer is to change ownership. 

Edited by Taffin

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Independence said:

Wow the same posters trying their best to rubbish Anne Budge at every opportunity goes on and on. Thankfully its the same few all the time! Move on guys!

Tbf, all you do on here is go from thread to thread looking for posts criticising our failures and telling people to ‘move on’.

You’ve always seemed strangely content with our decline.

21 minutes ago, fila said:

Time for the handover is now.  We have seen the end of the five plan , which is back to the future , and lets be honest we don’t need a ground hogs day sequel.

For ever grateful to AB for the investment to save us, but she is holding on for dear life, she doesn’t want to let go,

Disagree. The talk about Budge appointing a CEO suggests she is wanting to reduce involvement. At least in a day to day way. 

Also think we're in a period of great uncertainty which is unprecedented. Maintaining the status quo for just now ensures continuity. A change should be made at the end of the season. I think then with promotion and lifting the cup there will be a renewed sense of optimism which is the perfect opportunity to begin the next chapter. 

I've read a few more of the posts and do understand where they are coming from in wanting this done ASAP, but Covid has really shaken football and I think big changes right now represent an unnecessary risk. By the end of this coming season, all things going well we should be in a better position to complete the handover in a way which can be celebrated as an achievement. 

I do think we need to have a choice to whether Budge stays on after that point though. I assume a CEO will be appointed at some point this season which will mean the delegation of day to day operations from Budge to whomever that may be. I would like Ian Murray MP to throw his hat in the ring for Chairman. I think he's better suited to deal with Doncaster and his ilk. There is a way to get stuff done in Scottish football and I suspect Murray would have a better grasp on getting people round a table to achieve a specific purpose. Budge I don't feel has done a great job in that regard (reconstruction for example). Even Murray joining as 'vice chairman' or something would be good.

Just now, Taffin said:

Correct, the answer is to change ownership. 

That will be happening anyway. You were questioning whether or not it’s worth having the money that Budge has attracted. The answer to that is quite obviously: yes.

8 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

That will be happening anyway. You were questioning whether or not it’s worth having the money that Budge has attracted. The answer to that is quite obviously: yes.

The answer isn't quite obviously yes. Under her stewardship I'd say the money has been pointless given we're now back in the Championship where we started. So no, I'd say it's not been worth having it. We could have achieved the same for a lot, lot less.

You say that will be happening anyway, but will it? There appears to be no appetite for that and the excuse of wanting there to be no debt of course now places whether it ever happens entirely in Ann's control as she can just perpetually keep us in a debt if she wants, thus blocking the transfer.

Ann is also not the reason we have the money, the football club is. People don't donate to FOH because they support Ann, they do it because they support Hearts. She's helped facilitate it no doubt but if she departed tomorrow people would continue to donate to FOH, they wouldn't change to donating to Ann instead. (Actually I wouldn't be surprised if a few on here did tbh)

Edited by Taffin

In an ideal world AB could have an honorary position where she continued to support the club build relationships and secure funding.

Day to day management of the club needs to be passed on to someone else. It’s time for AB to move on from this position.

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The answer isn't quite obviously yes. Under her stewardship I'd say the money has been pointless given we're now back in the Championship where we started. So no, I'd say it's not been worth having it. We could have achieved the same for a lot, lot less.

You say that will be happening anyway, but will it? There appears to be no appetite for that and the excuse of wanting there to be no debt of course now places whether it ever happens entirely in Ann's control as she can just perpetually keep us in a debt if she wants, thus blocking the transfer.

Ann is also not the reason we have the money, the football club is. People don't donate to FOH because they support Ann, they do it because they support Hearts. She's helped facilitate it no doubt but if she departed tomorrow people would continue to donate to FOH, they wouldn't change to donating to Ann instead. (Actually I wouldn't be surprised if a few on here did tbh)

The vast majority of the money you're talking about being pointless hasn't gone on the team, it's went towards paying back Ann Budge and helping to pay for the new stand.

18 minutes ago, OTT said:

Disagree. The talk about Budge appointing a CEO suggests she is wanting to reduce involvement. At least in a day to day way. 

Also think we're in a period of great uncertainty which is unprecedented. Maintaining the status quo for just now ensures continuity. A change should be made at the end of the season. I think then with promotion and lifting the cup there will be a renewed sense of optimism which is the perfect opportunity to begin the next chapter. 

I've read a few more of the posts and do understand where they are coming from in wanting this done ASAP, but Covid has really shaken football and I think big changes right now represent an unnecessary risk. By the end of this coming season, all things going well we should be in a better position to complete the handover in a way which can be celebrated as an achievement. 

I do think we need to have a choice to whether Budge stays on after that point though. I assume a CEO will be appointed at some point this season which will mean the delegation of day to day operations from Budge to whomever that may be. I would like Ian Murray MP to throw his hat in the ring for Chairman. I think he's better suited to deal with Doncaster and his ilk. There is a way to get stuff done in Scottish football and I suspect Murray would have a better grasp on getting people round a table to achieve a specific purpose. Budge I don't feel has done a great job in that regard (reconstruction for example). Even Murray joining as 'vice chairman' or something would be good.

And there, you and I part company big time. He's the last person I'd like to see on the board at Tynecastle. Slimy bar stuard. (him, not you!)

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Not sure if you’re being churlish, obtuse, or both.

You were saying earlier that you wish people would stoop going on about the money Ann has attracted to the club, because it’s not worth having it when we’ve been shite on the field.

The benefactor money has come in because of the way she runs the business side of things. That’s what Anderson’s trust is all about. He/they only put in funds to businesses who fulfil certain criteria. Hearts under Budge fulfil those criteria. Then there’s the other things she has overseen that have seen us more than double our turnover. 

Of course that money is worth having. There is no argument about that. It needs spent better when it comes to the first team. However, obviously it is worth having and to pretend otherwise is frankly mental.

1 minute ago, JohnB said:

And there, you and I part company big time. He's the last person I'd like to see on the board at Tynecastle. Slimy bar stuard. (him, not you!)

I don't agree with his politics at all. I'm putting them aside, because his commitment to this club when it was on its knees was incredible (as were numerous others). With his experience in politics I can't think of anyone better to manage the various other chairmens egos and try to advance our interests in the same way the OF and even Hibs seem capable of doing. 

One of the biggest issues in Scottish football is requiring virtual total agreement on anything and everything. To do that you need someone who is capable of working cross spectrum with various parties and I think Murray will be well versed in managing that effectively. 

You don't need to like someone to appreciate their talents. 

2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Not sure if you’re being churlish, obtuse, or both.

You were saying earlier that you wish people would stoop going on about the money Ann has attracted to the club, because it’s not worth having it when we’ve been shite on the field.

The benefactor money has come in because of the way she runs the business side of things. That’s what Anderson’s trust is all about. He/they only put in funds to businesses who fulfil certain criteria. Hearts under Budge fulfil those criteria. Then there’s the other things she has overseen that have seen us more than double our turnover. 

Of course that money is worth having. There is no argument about that. It needs spent better when it comes to the first team. However, obviously it is worth having and to pretend otherwise is frankly mental.

You keep saying it needs to be spent better, but it never is, that's the crux of it. The money is only worth something if you use it for something, Ann has shown her approach to spending it doesn't translate into increased success on the pitch...therefore for a football club, it's pointless.

If my employer gave me a 50% pay increase next week but I just withdrew the additional funds every payday and burnt it would you say it was worth me having it? 

Just now, Taffin said:

You keep saying it needs to be spent better, but it never is, that's the crux of it. The money is only worth something if you use it for something, Ann has shown her approach to spending it doesn't translate into increased success on the pitch...therefore for a football club, it's pointless.

If my employer gave me a 50% pay increase next week but I just withdrew the additional funds every payday and burnt it would you say it was worth me having it? 

So, obtuse then. Okay, not much point in carrying on with this in that case.

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

So, obtuse then. Okay, not much point in carrying on with this in that case.

How is that obstuse? What makes you think Ann will suddenly start spending the money well? You evidently agree that our current spending hasn't worked on the pitch, why will that change? 

18 hours ago, Independence said:

Why do you want an exact number? Is it a fabrication that we are handing over £150,000 pm? Is it a full moon tonight? has the patients taken over the asylum? 

Simple disclosure would declare how many contributors there are... asking for an exact number shouldn't offend anyone.

35 minutes ago, Taffin said:

We would be facing administration without the benefactors money now.

5 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Simple disclosure would declare how many contributors there are... asking for an exact number shouldn't offend anyone.

Its probably somewhere around 8,200.

Probably get the number at next AGM.

3 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Foundation Stand.....simple

I'm not sure how feasible it is but see below how Rangers have that band around the top of their stands that says Sandy Jardine Stand etc. I'd quite like to see something similar, but 'Foundation of Hearts Stand'. It would be excellent advertising for the Foundation for those who either don't yet pledge or are visiting the ground for the first time and aren't aware of what that is. Obviously there is an aesthetics element to consider (i.e if it doesn't work with the design its a non-starter).  

I've put it in a spoiler for space

Spoiler

Rangers in talks over Ibrox capacity increase as Stewart Robertson ...

Geoff Kilpatrick

Simple question. Are James Andersom and his mates cushioning us through this trauma? If yes, is that support conditional on Ann Budge remaining in situ? If yes, why does she need the shares? She could easily stay as CEO with FoH being owners.

18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

We would be facing administration without the benefactors money now.

Would we? Or would we have cut our cloth more wisely over the last few years without them?

Listen, I don't have an issue with Ann at all. I like her, I'd like her to remain at the club in some capacity. She's done some great things but also she's made some awful decisions and wasted a lot of money and feel it's time for the FOH to takeover. 

If we'd really be facing relegation without the benefactors now then really she's led us to exactly the same place as Romanov but is fortunate enough to have rich friends to bail her out. Yet so many of Ann's biggest fans deride him. I do appreciate the contradictory element of that statement as I was a fan of Romanov.

Edited by Taffin

Adam_the_legend
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Short to medium term what “big changes” would you expect? According to many on here it’s essentially just a formality so why not do it. Reward the thousands of hearts fans who have pumped millions into the club as was promised. AB can still run the club but it will officially be ours. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Budge intends to continue as chairperson so no slot for Murray, thankfully. 

25 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Simple question. Are James Andersom and his mates cushioning us through this trauma? If yes, is that support conditional on Ann Budge remaining in situ? If yes, why does she need the shares? She could easily stay as CEO with FoH being owners.

That's her profit for helping us out.

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Budge intends to continue as chairperson so no slot for Murray, thankfully. 

When Murray kept his parliamentary seat at the last election I was pleased because if he had lost I could see him as our next chairman. Politics aside, the man's a worm.

5 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Short to medium term what “big changes” would you expect? According to many on here it’s essentially just a formality so why not do it. Reward the thousands of hearts fans who have pumped millions into the club as was promised. AB can still run the club but it will officially be ours. 

Why should such an important event in our history be reduced to something as flippant as a formality?

If we do it at the end of the coming season it can be marked (hopefully!!) with a full house. Its a massive achievement and the culmination of years of commitment from Hearts fans across the world. I think lining it up with our (likely) promotion celebrations makes sense. We can go back up with a renewed optimism and the club officially in the fans hands. From a marketing perspective it makes perfect sense and could be an excellent method to garner more pledges. We would in effect be the UKs largest fan owned club which is excellent publicity. 

When we eventually have the club returned to us it should be a big occasion for the club. It shouldn't be rushed through during a global pandemic with any acknowledgement watered down by social distancing etc. 

Budge could sign the papers before half time and Scott Wilson announces it at half time alongside Budge and the Foundation board.  To me there isn't a better way to mark the occasion than a full house prior to being returned to our rightful place in Scottish football. A championship game isn't likely to attract much interest but could try and get Sky along so its on Sky Sports News potentially. 

(all under the assumption we do win the league, obviously not intending to sound arrogant about winning it first time of asking, no guarantees after all!) 

Regardless, even if we're talking little more than an admin issue, why not hold off and make sure its an occasion that can be given the acknowledgement it deserves?

Lone Striker

Just started reading these last few pages ...... and I'm confused.   Can someone explain a few things -

What is this "debt" that folk are mentioning ? Is it a debt currently owed to a company or players ?   Is it the legal bill ?  Or is it a future debt due to having overpaid players and a reduced income from the curtailed 2nd tier league fixture list ?  Maybe all the above

Why the hatred of Ian Murray ?   Regardless of  whether you like Labour or not, he's a Hearts man who stepped up when we needed help.  FoH were struggling to get traction and credibility until he stepped in.    I don't understand it. What has he done to offend some folk ?

Who is saying "now is not the time" to transfer the shares to FoH ?   Ann or FoH ?       Regardless, it implies to me that one of them doesn't trust the other - which would be rather worrying.

Thanks in the hope of clarification.    🙂

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

If it was me I would like to stabilise the finances first. 

On the other hand why not just do it.

But controlling the timing is an opportunity. So the fans can fully enjoy it would be another consideration. 

"Stabilising the finances". We really have gone full circle. The first thing FoH did was to provide £4m to "stabilise the finances" over a three year period. Seven years under the stewardship of Ann and over £10m funding by FoH we are back in the Championship and seemingly  can't complete the FoH purchase because of the need to "stabilise the finances" including paying our debts.

You begin to wonder who was the driving force behind the success of Newell and Budge.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Just started reading these last few pages ...... and I'm confused.   Can someone explain a few things -

What is this "debt" that folk are mentioning ? Is it a debt currently owed to a company or players ?   Is it the legal bill ?  Or is it a future debt due to having overpaid players and a reduced income from the curtailed 2nd tier league fixture list ?  Maybe all the above

Why the hatred of Ian Murray ?   Regardless of  whether you like Labour or not, he's a Hearts man who stepped up when we needed help.  FoH were struggling to get traction and credibility until he stepped in.    I don't understand it. What has he done to offend some folk ?

Who is saying "now is not the time" to transfer the shares to FoH ?   Ann or FoH ?       Regardless, it implies to me that one of them doesn't trust the other - which would be rather worrying.

Thanks in the hope of clarification.    🙂

Apparently the club is in debt to Ann because she has been "acting as our bank". We have no idea of the scale or terms of her loan. As far as I understand.

Agree on Murray. Suspect that he is a Unionist may be part of the problem. He seems popular with his constituents and played a useful role in saving the club.

We don't know who is driving the delay in transfer of shares but FoH must have agreed to it because there is nothing in the (original) FoH/Bidco agreement to prevent it going ahead now or indeed a few months ago.

52 minutes ago, Section Q said:

When Murray kept his parliamentary seat at the last election I was pleased because if he had lost I could see him as our next chairman. Politics aside, the man's a worm.

Agreed

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Apparently the club is in debt to Ann because she has been "acting as our bank". We have no idea of the scale or terms of her loan. As far as I understand.

Agree on Murray. Suspect that he is a Unionist may be part of the problem. He seems popular with his constituents and played a useful role in saving the club.

We don't know who is driving the delay in transfer of shares but FoH must have agreed to it because there is nothing in the (original) FoH/Bidco agreement to prevent it going ahead now or indeed a few months ago.

Of course FoH agreed to it as they announced it. We were in debt ( as per thr last AGM ) to Ann prior to Covid arriving, we might well be more in debt now. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Of course FoH agreed to it as they announced it. We were in debt ( as per thr last AGM ) to Ann prior to Covid arriving, we might well be more in debt now. 

Time to give FA a warning Dave. He just continually ask the same questions despite clearly being given the answers by posters time after time. Tedious and damaging as his intent seems to be to stir up baseless debate and intrigue on here. His inability to read and take in anything that doesn’t suit his agenda is worldclass.