Reserves @ Dundee Utd

Footballfirst

Footballfirst
MATCHDAY
The Reserves are back in action against @JamTarts this afternoon in the SPFL Reserve League Cup. It’s a 1.30pm kick-off at Whitton Park.

Team news for the Reserves. SXI: Mehmet, Freeman, Duffy, King, Graham, Neilson, Chalmers, Davidson, Watson, Mochrie and Meekison. Subs: Currid, Cooney, Hutchinson, Robson, Fotheringham, Caves and Bisland.

1’ | 0-0 | Darren Watson gets us underway at Whitton Park for the Terrors. C’mon United!

2’ | 0-0 | Early chance for United as Darren Watson puts the Hearts defence under pressure which forces the ball to Jake Davidson who is lurking in the box, but his shot skims across the surface and wide.

7’ | 0-0 | A brilliant run by Jake Davidson sees him break away from the defence and he flicks the ball over the keeper who is charging him down quickly. Unfortunately his shot falls to the wrong side of the box.

28’ | 0-0 | Kieran Freeman makes a gut bursting run down the right wing before skimming a low cross into the box. The ball eventually comes to Adam King, but his shot is held by Colin Doyle in the Hearts goal.

35’ | 0-0 | What a save from Deniz Mehmet to keep out Connor Smith’s free kick! The experienced United keeper makes a dives to his left and stretches out his right hand to palm the ball over the bar.

44’ | 0-1 | Goal Hearts. Leeroy Makovora brings the ball down on his chest before firing a powerful shot high into the net from a tight angle.

HT United 0 Hearts 1 | The visitors snatch the lead just before the interval at the end of a very even 45 minutes.

46’ | 0-1 | Hearts get the match restarted at Whitton Park.

50’ | 0-1 | Penalty to Hearts as Connor Smith is fouled in the box.

51’ | 0-2 | Goal Hearts. The visitors double their advantage from the spot as Callumn Morrison sends Deniz the wrong way.

74’ | 0-3 | Goal Hearts. Callumn Morrison adds his second of the match as he rattles the ball home from a tight angle just inside the box.

FT United 0 Hearts 3 | A disappointing afternoon for the Reserves comes to an end.

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:
MATCHDAY
The Reserves are back in action against @JamTarts this afternoon in the SPFL Reserve League Cup. It’s a 1.30pm kick-off at Whitton Park.

Team news for the Reserves. SXI: Mehmet, Freeman, Duffy, King, Graham, Neilson, Chalmers, Davidson, Watson, Mochrie and Meekison. Subs: Currid, Cooney, Hutchinson, Robson, Fotheringham, Caves and Bisland.

1’ | 0-0 | Darren Watson gets us underway at Whitton Park for the Terrors. C’mon United!

2’ | 0-0 | Early chance for United as Darren Watson puts the Hearts defence under pressure which forces the ball to Jake Davidson who is lurking in the box, but his shot skims across the surface and wide.

7’ | 0-0 | A brilliant run by Jake Davidson sees him break away from the defence and he flicks the ball over the keeper who is charging him down quickly. Unfortunately his shot falls to the wrong side of the box.

28’ | 0-0 | Kieran Freeman makes a gut bursting run down the right wing before skimming a low cross into the box. The ball eventually comes to Adam King, but his shot is held by Colin Doyle in the Hearts goal.

35’ | 0-0 | What a save from Deniz Mehmet to keep out Connor Smith’s free kick! The experienced United keeper makes a dives to his left and stretches out his right hand to palm the ball over the bar.

44’ | 0-1 | Goal Hearts. Leeroy Makovora brings the ball down on his chest before firing a powerful shot high into the net from a tight angle.

HT United 0 Hearts 1 | The visitors snatch the lead just before the interval at the end of a very even 45 minutes.

46’ | 0-1 | Hearts get the match restarted at Whitton Park.

50’ | 0-1 | Penalty to Hearts as Connor Smith is fouled in the box.

51’ | 0-2 | Goal Hearts. The visitors double their advantage from the spot as Callumn Morrison sends Deniz the wrong way.

74’ | 0-3 | Goal Hearts. Callumn Morrison adds his second of the match as he rattles the ball home from a tight angle just inside the box.

FT United 0 Hearts 3 | A disappointing afternoon for the Reserves comes to an end.

Why disappointing?

been here before

Good to see Morrison get a couple and hopefully this will follow him to East Fife.

I know Morrisons final ball often let him down but I thought he was exactly the type of player who would flourish under the new manager, surprised he's rnded up at East Fife.

Footballfirst

You have to question what Hearts media team get paid for at times. It certainly can't be for keeping fans up to date on football matters other than the first team.

Edited by Footballfirst

Just now, Footballfirst said:

You have to question what Hearts media team get paid for at times. It certainly can't be for keeping fans up to date on football outside the first team.

Pretty disappointing it must be said. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

You have to question what Hearts media team get paid for at times. It certainly can't be for keeping fans up to date on football outside the first team.

Disappointing they have failed to cover this,  I get a lot of Tweets all the same. 

Agree though,  this is fundamental 

Just now, RDSK said:

Pretty disappointing it must be said. 

And it's not just the games.

No stories, features or interviews for example on Connor Smith's successful loan spell at Cowdenbeath or Leeroy Makovora's interesting loan spell (including 2 red cards) at The Spartans. 

As well as engaging the fans there is money to be made on YouTube etc. 

15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You have to question what Hearts media team get paid for at times. It certainly can't be for keeping fans up to date on football matters other than the first team.

I always thought this was your job FF

Footballfirst

The last score update on Twitter for a non 1st team game was on 27th January, when @Jamtarts posted that the U18s had beaten Morton 3-2 in the youth cup quarter final.  That game had of course been played 3 days earlier.

Additionally, the U18s also beat ICT 4-1 in Inverness on Friday afternoon. To be fair, the website has at least been updated with the result of that game, but there is no match report, or scorers given, as for previous games.

Unfortunately #TFIM hasn't posted much in recent weeks either, although he is not directly connected to the club.

Edited by Footballfirst

Good result away from home. Disappointing that Hearts media didnt cover the game, they should have. Still a good result.

I've been sitting in Dundee this afternoon bored out my skull and didn't realise this was on until way in to second half . No happy that hearts media didn't even mention it 🤬

6 minutes ago, the general said:

Hate criticising the club but this is shoddy .. plenty folk would cover it for them for the cost of a bus fare

I've happily done match threads on here before for reserve games .... but usually on the back of at least a news story publicising the match. I didn't realise this was on and would have been a nice day for a match. Mind you I also missed out on Falkirk tickets because I missed the news on that too, might just be me 😁

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Applied for the job. Didn't even get an interview. 

3 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Applied for the job. Didn't even get an interview. 

1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

Didn't even get an acknowledgement. 

I didn't even apply.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Good to see Morrison get a couple and hopefully this will follow him to East Fife.

I know Morrisons final ball often let him down but I thought he was exactly the type of player who would flourish under the new manager, surprised he's rnded up at East Fife.

Same. Especially considering his physical frame in comparison to Moore. 

Hopefully he comes back in the summer with a point to prove. 

17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I didn't even apply.

I didn't even know the post existed.

Edited by Heres Rixxy

1 hour ago, the general said:

Hate criticising the club but this is shoddy .. plenty folk would cover it for them for the cost of a bus fare

Couldn't agree more.  Give this priority Ann.  There should also be a dedicated women's section.

1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

Our coverage of our own reserves is very poor 

The Hearts match report is <100 words written solely on the basis of information available in the Dundee United tweets. Not even the team lineup. Pathetic

Hearts Reserves ran out 3-0 winners against Dundee United in today's SPFL Reserve League Cup encounter in St Andrews.

"The hosts had the better of the chances during the first half of the opening 45, however, it was the Jambos who took the lead shortly before the interval. Connor Smith saw a tremendous free-kick saved on 35 minutes and it acted as a warning sign of things to come as Leeroy Makovora rifled home a shot on the cusp of half-time.

A Calumn Morrison penalty doubled Hearts' advantage within six minutes of the restart and the on-loan East Fife man grabbed his second of the day with roughly 15 minutes to go."

1 minute ago, RobboM said:

The Hearts match report is <100 words written solely on the basis of information available in the Dundee United tweets. Not even the team lineup. Pathetic

Hearts Reserves ran out 3-0 winners against Dundee United in today's SPFL Reserve League Cup encounter in St Andrews.

"The hosts had the better of the chances during the first half of the opening 45, however, it was the Jambos who took the lead shortly before the interval. Connor Smith saw a tremendous free-kick saved on 35 minutes and it acted as a warning sign of things to come as Leeroy Makovora rifled home a shot on the cusp of half-time.

A Calumn Morrison penalty doubled Hearts' advantage within six minutes of the restart and the on-loan East Fife man grabbed his second of the day with roughly 15 minutes to go."

Embarrassing really 

could even pay one of the under 18s to go along and write up the report 

Edited by Natural Orders

Niemi’s gloves

To be (slightly) fair to the club, this was a previously postponed and nothing at stake reserve cup game. The SPFL already had the semi-final ties (Celtic v Hibs, Well v Dons) up on its web site for 24 February. Our 3-0 win today  took us up 2nd in our group but not good enough for best runner up however many we had scored.

An oddity of the 15 club draw was that although there were 10 premier clubs involved (no Rangers or Livi), plus 5 championship, two of the groups had 4 premier and 1 championship teams while group A had 2 premiership and 3 championship teams.  Celtic and Motherwell each duly beat the 3 lower league teams in their group and played out a draw between them, with Celtic getting the extra point for the penalty shoot out win. That effectively put the best runner up spot out of reach for the other 2 groups.

Perfect job for someone retired who has time to spare and has an interest in the club....anyone ?

It would not cost much and with the women's side to add to teams needing coverage it may well grow

It wasn’t covered as we’ve had to pay off our entire media team and sell all the equipment to fund the £400k loss this year (this information is based purely on Hobonomics). 

After a bit of searching...this was a Reserve league cup game. We've finished second in our group behind Hibs. 

https://spfl.co.uk/league/rcup/table

I don't think we've qualified for next round. 3 groups but we're not best placed 2nd place. We'll need to hand back the trophy. 

Looks like Hibs, Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell in semi finals.

Edited by Mikey1874

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

After a bit of searching...this was a Reserve league cup game. We've finished second in our group behind Hibs. 

https://spfl.co.uk/league/rcup/table

I don't think we've qualified for next round. 3 groups but we're not best placed 2nd place. We'll need to hand back the trophy. 

Looks like Hibs, Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell in semi finals.

2 groups with 4 SPL teams in each and one with just Celtic and Motherwell...? Guess which second placed team qualifies...

I know its a different level etc but Morrison always seems to get himself a goal. Any chance of a strike in the first team and he just doesn't look like he has a shot in him

41 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Perfect job for someone retired who has time to spare and has an interest in the club....anyone ?

It would not cost much and with the women's side to add to teams needing coverage it may well grow

That was me. Not a dicky. 

Footballfirst

Cracking strike by Morrison for the 3rd goal.

So Hearts had someone filming the game. It would hardly be overload to ask that person to give the odd twitter update on the game at appropriate breaks in play.

35 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

I know its a different level etc but Morrison always seems to get himself a goal. Any chance of a strike in the first team and he just doesn't look like he has a shot in him

Always thought if he got a goal he'd get more .

Think he still has a chance 

5 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Given the lack of width in the first team squad I was surprised he was not kept as part of said squad rather than being loaned out.

scott herbertson
52 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

would agree.. His form when out on loan was very good - lots of goals. Bit of confidence and I think he could still be an asset

30 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

would agree.. His form when out on loan was very good - lots of goals. Bit of confidence and I think he could still be an asset

May well be . Many saying not good enough . 

No way DS will have been able to properly assess all the staff . Think he'll be looking at some of the young , peripheral players come the summer

Morrison has great potential. Was excellent when he first broke into the team and his form nosedived along with the rest of the team but he can definitely contribute.

6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Cracking strike by Morrison for the 3rd goal.

So Hearts had someone filming the game. It would hardly be overload to ask that person to give the odd twitter update on the game at appropriate breaks in play.

You couldn't ask the same person to do both. 

Anyone who watches the reserves or the youth teams, are they playing in the same style as Stendel has us playing in the first team? Is it the same set up?

I was at the game. Couldn't give you the full team but cochrane played the full 90 in the heart of the midfield. Nice weight of pass all game and good energy. Baur started slowly but came onto a decent game which kind of sums up the teams performance. Doyle was in goal, not much to do, and Connor Smith nashed about all over the shop. Morrison's crossing and general play had a real edge to it, the full backs combined well with him and Smith. The 1st goal from Leeroy Makorova drew a gasp from some, well me anyway. Bit of a half van Basten effort as he was nearer the goal. Second looked a pen to me but not dave bowman who had a few words with the lino! Nicely dispatched. Should have had another shortly after when Makorova got there first but ref didn't see it that way. Third was a great strike from Morrison, we were getting in down our right a lot towards the end. Other centre half played really well, little and large back there. Chris Hamilton, I think. And other midfielder first name Scott(mcgill maybe having googled reserve squad)? He played well with Cochrane, good partnership. All in all it came really good after a dodgy beginning. Think it was fox and rankin on the bench. Apologies for the inevitable errors, no team lines to be seen and don't make many reserve games. I know I'm a midfielder short. Shoddy. 

Footballfirst
55 minutes ago, Georgecowie said:

I was at the game. Couldn't give you the full team but cochrane played the full 90 in the heart of the midfield. Nice weight of pass all game and good energy. Baur started slowly but came onto a decent game which kind of sums up the teams performance. Doyle was in goal, not much to do, and Connor Smith nashed about all over the shop. Morrison's crossing and general play had a real edge to it, the full backs combined well with him and Smith. The 1st goal from Leeroy Makorova drew a gasp from some, well me anyway. Bit of a half van Basten effort as he was nearer the goal. Second looked a pen to me but not dave bowman who had a few words with the lino! Nicely dispatched. Should have had another shortly after when Makorova got there first but ref didn't see it that way. Third was a great strike from Morrison, we were getting in down our right a lot towards the end. Other centre half played really well, little and large back there. Chris Hamilton, I think. And other midfielder first name Scott(mcgill maybe having googled reserve squad)? He played well with Cochrane, good partnership. All in all it came really good after a dodgy beginning. Think it was fox and rankin on the bench. Apologies for the inevitable errors, no team lines to be seen and don't make many reserve games. I know I'm a midfielder short. Shoddy. 

Good stuff. I'm glad that someone made it along despite the lack of advance notice.

The names you have mentioned would fit in with what I would expect in the Reserve side.