Never Let Them Forget

martoon

It's crossed my mind every single day since (as it has every tormented, emailing, scuttling Hibby) but occasionally, every now and then, the reality that we played and ****ed Hibernian 5-1 in the Scottish Cup final just hits me all over again. 

Years of daydreaming of an all Edinburgh Cup final, Hearts slaughtering the riff-raff on the big day then, one glorious day, it all came true.

Sometimes still can't quite believe that it actually happened but, feck me, it did. 

14554947.jpg

_60353097_trophy.jpg

8af43535bc553a83f994ba1aaabe86ec.jpg

034.JPG.40257dcb0fb6ea3b68bae7856d0cf3ca.jpeg

91607t8e1UL._SL1500_.jpg

4 minutes ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

Thought you were talking to me there......

Maybe I was. 😂😉

13 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

If I’m honest, beating Rangers was better.

Take your point. 

However, my dream of pumping Hibs in the Cup final didn't end in 1998. 

Big Slim Stylee
1 minute ago, martoon said:

Take your point. 

However, my dream of pumping Hibs in the Cup final didn't end in 1998. 

I get that mate. But it was just special in a way for us oldies. 

21 minutes ago, graygo said:

Great thread, I thought horsing them by 4 goals in a semi final was as good as it would get for me at the football.

I was wrong!!

Thought the same. 

4-0 at Hampden, in a semi final, felt like the ultimate derby win. 

Nah! 

Turned out to be an appetiser. 😂

3 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

I was 30 in 1998, bud. 

I dreamt of us pumping Hibs in a Cup final before '98 and afterwards.

I'm not comparing the two. 👍

Big Slim Stylee

@martoonFive years more on you! But I genuinely thought I’d maybe never see us win something. The gap was so large, but we were a brilliant football team. Going through a dreadful final and a near miss that was one of the best...

Edited by Big Slim Stylee

Big Slim Stylee
8 minutes ago, martoon said:

I was 30 in 1998, bud. 

I dreamt of us pumping Hibs in a Cup final before '98 and afterwards.

I'm not comparing the two. 👍

I’d quite like us to win the Wee Cup before I shuffle off if that’s ok...

17 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Was tear inducing.... I missed the first 5mins didn’t know we were ahead for a few mins 😂 The feeling at Adam’s goal then McCoist being fouled n everyones hearts stopping for a second as time slowed to a stop til we realised it wasnt a penalty. 

2012 was just an insane **** you , we are Hearts you are Hibernian FTH.....

4 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

@martoonFive years more on you! But I genuinely thought I’d maybe never see us win something. The gap was so large, but we were a brilliant football team. Going through a dreadful final and a near miss that was one of the best...

1 minute ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

I’d quite like us to win the Wee Cup before I shuffle off if that’s ok...

Me too. 

Was so nervous about this game, we were very shakey that season. So worried we'd get embarrashed forever with a big humping (lol up you's)

Done my back in something awful that day falling about the stands in the mayhem, lifting the stranger next to me and generally jumping about crazy.

During the 6 week build up I refused to contemplate losing but, when the unthinkable crept up on me, I thought emigrating would be the only course of action. 

After the event the Hibby went down a different route: denial, tainted cheating ...anything other than face the reality that 19/05/12 is a lifelong commitment we all must live with. 

Been a dawdle for me so far, bud. 

Edit: intended as a reply to @Phage

Edited by martoon

Great thread. :thumb:

Shut them up permanently about the ancient 0-7 crap, and that day in May is one of several reasons they hate us.

Never let them forget, indeed!!  

Just now, Big Slim Stylee said:

Have to agree. Maybe an age thing but I was at Dens Pak in '86 and the Aberdeen Cup Final the week after. That day beating Rangers with all the big players that proper Rangers used to have was amazing. I was greetin (along with thousands of others) like a bairn that day. The memory of Dens still haunting me/us. Hammering Hibs was a fantastic achievement, of course it was, it could've scarily gone either way but I don't think I could've coped with losing to them. And, just for the record, we won the 2006 Cup in the semi against them (arise Sir Paul Hartley) but that Final against Gretna was tense and we would've been the laughing stock of Scottish football had we not won that. Love my Hearts, even though they drive me insane half the time.

Me during games....ya fekn useless bunch o caants one minute or yeeeeeeessss, get innnnn!!, jumpin aboot like a daftie. Y' think as we get older you'd chill out a bit. But that's He'rts all over, they'll either kill me or cure me. But I love the rollercoaster ride.

6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Great thread. :thumb:

Shut them up permanently about the ancient 0-7 crap, and that day in May is one of several reasons they hate us.

Never let them forget, indeed!!  

Shakira is still hot, ML. 

I've watched it, thus far, despite what I posted earlier on the Superb owl thread. 😂😉

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Great thread, I thought horsing them by 4 goals in a semi final was as good as it would get for me at the football.

I was wrong!!

Same here.  I was there with my son.  Unforgettable.  First time in 100 years iirc we had met Hibs at that stage.

Didn't think it could get better than that.

If they can go for 50 years celebrating a league win, how long do we get for 4-0 and 5-1?

Tricky one that for the mathematicians.  I think 300 years but that's just a guess.  I'm no mathematician.

1 hour ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Post of the week.

👍

Happy to share the praise with Jamie Mac, Gowser, Daz, Zal, Webby, Blackie, Danny, Rudi, Stephen, Suso, Andy...😉

Coburg Hearts
59 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

I'm a supposed oldie, but thrashing hibs in a cup final meant much more to me than beating Rangers (or Celtic) in same.

13 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

If they can go for 50 years celebrating a league win, how long do we get for 4-0 and 5-1?

Tricky one that for the mathematicians.  I think 300 years but that's just a guess.  I'm no mathematician.

Sounds fair, doug. 

There's many a Hibby who wasn't even born that somehow made it to Tynecastle that day so who knows? 

Edited by martoon

Coburg Hearts
26 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

C = 3L+1

Where C = thrashing your bitter rivals in Cup Final

And L = winning 2 pts in league game

Therefore if L = 50 years

C = 3x50 +1

C = 150 +1

C = 151

So, Doug, you can celebrate for the next 151 years, counting from 2012.

ps it had to have 1-5 and 5-1 in it.

Coburg Hearts
27 minutes ago, martoon said:

👍

Happy to share the praise with Jamie Mac, Gowser, Daz, Zal, Webby, Blackie, Danny, Rudi, Stephen, Suso, Andy...😉

The players will never forget, either. Sure it must be the highlight of every single one of their careers .

queensferryjambo

I have seen Hearts win 3 Scottish Cups and 1-5 was without doubt my favourite. Had we lost in 98 nobody would have batted an eyelid had we lost in 2012 we would be living a miserable Hibs loser existence. 

For all the people who think 98 trumped 2012 ask yourself the question how many times have you watched the 98 final again and how many times 2012 ;) 

The 98 final was amazing because we finally won after so many disappointments. 2012 final was amazing because it was the only occasion in a final in my lifetime when we never broke sweat and were able to enjoy ourselves all the way through.

Lots of people on here (generally miserable gits and Hibs interlopers) play down 2012 but as far as I am concerned Hearts will struggle to ever top winning a Scottish cup final by a cricket score against our most hated trampy enemies Hibs - 

:fth:

That is being far too kind.

We hammered them 4-0 in the most meaningful derby there had ever been in all our lives.  We knew on that Sunday it was Gretna (thank you Robbie and Rudi).

Then the final 😂😂😂, such a perfect day and never in doubt, at least in the semi they where a half decent team, the final our support was crap in comparison though 7 nation army before the game that day was poetic.

But they beat us on the way to winning after how long?  They didn’t just lose narrowly in the two most important derbies Theres ever been.  

Fth

Post of the week for sure, I as well remember 86 I cried at dens park thinking I would never see my beloved hearts win a trophy, beating rangers was very special seeing the boys in maroon lifting the cup For the first time in my life but to be honest it was more special when we pumped the hibbys to lift that special trophy again a very wonderful day in my life , I cried again with pride . FTH

2 hours ago, martoon said:

Shakira is still hot, ML. 

I've watched it, thus far, despite what I posted earlier on the Superb owl thread. 😂😉

My oh my.  That halftime show with Shakira and Jlo will provide months of fantasies for teenage boys ... and maybe boys who aren't teenagers any more.  :bootyshake:  

5 hours ago, baron of ness said:

If we beat them in another cup final do we get to keep them 

We already own these inbred w@&”S no need to make it official. 

SectionDJambo

Had we lost in 1998, after being 2-0 up, which could have happened if Rangers had got the penalty late on, it would have knocked us back severely, morale and credibility wise. We had waited so long, and the ultimate failure in 1986 was still fairly fresh in our memory. Just remember the numerous anecdotes from guys who went down onto the concourse, before the end, because they couldn’t watch anymore for fear of Rangers equalising. The team were out on their feet and would probably have lost if Rangers had got it back to 2-2.

So it was a massive day for us.

2012 was also a massive day for us. More enjoyable because we all knew, well before the end, that we had won it. Relaxed enjoyment of a historic victory and the appreciation that Hibs hadn’t ended their epic run of cup failure against us. It’s great to be able to remind them, when required.

Let us not forget the 4-0 in 2006, though. Destroying them after they thought their football masterclass would triumph was more than sweet. That cup win tends, astonishingly, to be played down because of the scare in the final, when it looked like we might mess it up, aided by the Hibs referee. 
So 2 nail biting wins and 1 stroll to victory. 3 more than I thought I’d see after all the disappointments over the years.

Beating Rangers in 98 meant everything, beating Hibs in 2012 was just an expected wee bonus.

Ive never seen Hibs as our rivals.  They may share our great City but that's where the comparison ends.  

5 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

I have seen Hearts win 3 Scottish Cups and 1-5 was without doubt my favourite. Had we lost in 98 nobody would have batted an eyelid had we lost in 2012 we would be living a miserable Hibs loser existence. 

For all the people who think 98 trumped 2012 ask yourself the question how many times have you watched the 98 final again and how many times 2012 ;) 

The 98 final was amazing because we finally won after so many disappointments. 2012 final was amazing because it was the only occasion in a final in my lifetime when we never broke sweat and were able to enjoy ourselves all the way through.

Lots of people on here (generally miserable gits and Hibs interlopers) play down 2012 but as far as I am concerned Hearts will struggle to ever top winning a Scottish cup final by a cricket score against our most hated trampy enemies Hibs - 

:fth:

TBH I think comparing 1998 and 2012 is like comparing apples and oranges. 1998 couldn’t possibly be beaten for raw emotion - getting rid of the monkey on our backs we felt was there for good, finally beating the team we kept meeting in finals. Mostly it was a sense of blissful relief and release.

2012 would certainly have beaten it for sheer joyful celebration.

joondalupjambo
6 hours ago, Coburg Hearts said:

The players will never forget, either. Sure it must be the highlight of every single one of their careers .

Probably do not disagree really but it would be an interesting question to Gowser, Hearts Cup Final or playing in a World Cup.

Sure he would say Cup final, PHM :)

Салатные палочки

The closest they will ever get to that glorious day will be putting us out (in a replay) on their way to winning in 2016. In their tiny wee brains, humping your oldest and fiercest rival in a cup final doesn't come close to that.  

10 hours ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

1998 tops the lot for me. Maybe because it's my first and after all the near misses made it so much more special. 

Beating the shite is a formality.

FTH HHGH 

2012 for me as it was my first final.

From getting there early and sucking up the atmosphere to getting my photo taken with SPH the whole prematch experience was incredible.

The match itself was surreal. Couldn’t quite believe what I as witnessing? Partied hard afterwards.

Just an incredible weekend from start to finish.

Big Slim Stylee
7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

My oh my.  That halftime show with Shakira and Jlo will provide months of fantasies for teenage boys ... and maybe boys who aren't teenagers any more.  :bootyshake:  

Thought it was fantastic. 

alwaysthereinspirit
11 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

We actually don't remind these ***** enough..

This. We listened to 7 - 0 for nigh on 39 years. Now I'm no math genius, but.............