Team v Kilmarnock

JamboPete

Daniel was not happy with the second half display, and will address it. He did comment we defended "so bad". We are pushing on but our defence was all over the place, mainly due to Souttar and Halkett having to continually sweep behind Clare and White, there is plenty of attacking options in front of the four, the WBs do not both need to be out of the defensive line at the same time. they need to be smarter. Every team will counter-attack us. There may be a case for a three, and either of Sibbick, Smith and now Langer could be used.  We have though four points from Gers and Perth,  difficult games, that is more than acceptable. We will not defend our way up the league under DS, the philosophy will not change, our players are still adapting and will improve. It may also be that it is more demanding playing the press on bigger playing dimensions away from Tynie. We move on and go again, Killie will be difficult and is massive ( especially with Hamilton playing St Mirren ) as is every game for the rest of the season. 3 pts.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• wavydavy

• One five

• Jambof3tornado

3 at the back.... we ****in need some protection on the counter with white and Clare pushing forward to provide support.

.................Pereira 

........Smith..Hallett..Soutter

Clare....................................White

................sibbick...Irving.

...................Naismith

............Adonis....Boyce 

Edited by Ted (Theodore) Logan
Forgot stuff

Horatio Caine
12 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Daniel was not happy with the second half display, and will address it. He did comment we defended "so bad". We are pushing on but our defence was all over the place, mainly due to Souttar and Halkett having to continually sweep behind Clare and White, there is plenty of attacking options in front of the four, the WBs do not both need to be out of the defensive line at the same time. they need to be smarter. Every team will counter-attack us. There may be a case for a three, and either of Sibbick, Smith and now Langer could be used.  We have though four points from Gers and Perth,  difficult games, that is more than acceptable. We will not defend our way up the league under DS, the philosophy will not change, our players are still adapting and will improve. It may also be that it is more demanding playing the press on bigger playing dimensions away from Tynie. We move on and go again, Killie will be difficult and is massive ( especially with Hamilton playing St Mirren ) as is every game for the rest of the season. 3 pts.

Anybody else feel that the second half disappointment was due (in part at least) to Sibbick having been injured at the end of the first half.  He wasn't anywhere near as effective after half time, allowing St J more into the match.

Edited by Horatio Caine

Just now, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

3 at the back.... we ****in need some protection on the counter with white and Clare pushing forward to provide support.

.................Pereira 

........Smith..Hallett..Soutter

Clare....................................White

...................sibbick...Irving..............................................Naismith

............Adonis....Boyce 

Doubt Stendel will ever play three at the back. But it may help protect whatever useless keeper that gets picked.

Just now, kila said:

Doubt Stendel will ever play three at the back. But it may help protect whatever useless keeper that gets picked.

Doesn't necessarily need to be viewed as a negative. I know Levein tried this formation but Stendels high press might make it work imo

Weakened Offender
17 hours ago, HMFC86 said:

Wasn’t great yesterday and took a knock. I’d rest him and see how Langar gets on given it’s his natural position.

He was ok in the first half and involved in both goals. Struggled big-time in the second. 

1 hour ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

Doesn't necessarily need to be viewed as a negative. I know Levein tried this formation but Stendels high press might make it work imo

I'm sure I read somewhere that Stendel never plays 3 at the back. Going by Saturday's 2nd half performance the team does seem to like playing 2 at the back though :lol:

Anyone who couldn't see that once Sibbick got the injury on Saturday which affected the game so much shouldn't watch football. The guy just wasn't the same which put the defence under alot more pressure than required. Clare and white are more than welcome to. Bomb forward but we need a fit Sibbick or Smith in there to step back and cover them when they do

We'll always play the same system, it will just take some getting used to and we will have some dodgy performances until we do unfortunately.

What we will have consistency in the player selection though.

Our CM's weren't good enough in the second half and I would imagine Smith or Langer will come in to offer more protection - potentially for Irving who has been brilliant but really struggled last week and may be protected. Better performances in the middle of the park will make our centre backs look better.

Apart from that I reckon Meshino will be replaced by Avidjij.

Same formation, two like-for-like changes. Don't think Stendel will tinker any more than that. No need to panic.

highlandjambo3

Should we (Daniel ) have a plan B and change formation, tactics, swap people about etc at any point in the game?

Im no football genius but, from the history of CL’s time in charge we pretty much laid our cards on the table and literally every team knew exactly how we were going to play and how we were going to change (if we ever did) during games, they were able to counter everything we did and more often than not beat us.  Is Daniel showing his cards to early?

In the second half of the farmers game I’m Not sure if we abandoned Daniels style of play or if the farmers kicked us out of it.......or both.

Edited by highlandjambo3

Think we will need to alternate Sibbiick and Langer maybe 60/30 mins each until they both get up to full speed. Once they're both firing there could be an argument for playing both of them away from home . 

We could slot Smith into right back and push Clare further forward that's another option to tighten things up at the back . 

A  front four of 

Clare.  Naisy    Connor 

Boyce 

looks decent with Mishu, Donis ,Hendo and  Uche as options .

7 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

Looks like Langer could make his debut on Wednesday according to the EEN

At the expense of who does it say?

9 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Think we will need to alternate Sibbiick and Langer maybe 60/30 mins each until they both get up to full speed. Once they're both firing there could be an argument for playing both of them away from home . 

We could slot Smith into right back and push Clare further forward that's another option to tighten things up at the back . 

A  front four of 

Clare.  Naisy    Connor 

Boyce 

looks decent with Mishu, Donis ,Hendo and  Uche as options .

This was something I suggested after Saturday. Clare further forward instead of Henderson.

I would put the young lad Stone in goals. Look at the options - Pereira doesn't save anything, palms the ball to forwards is basically a sweeper. Zlamal will make a mistake and cost at least goal, may save a shot or two however.

Massive game for us but could be the making of the lad, Stone wouldn't be the first young keeper to be thrown in and handling the occasion.

We should just do the half time draw a bit early, and the winning ticket can go in goal.

Better chance of keeping a clean sheet that way.

1 hour ago, E6 Inc said:

We'll always play the same system, it will just take some getting used to and we will have some dodgy performances until we do unfortunately.

What we will have consistency in the player selection though.

Our CM's weren't good enough in the second half and I would imagine Smith or Langer will come in to offer more protection - potentially for Irving who has been brilliant but really struggled last week and may be protected. Better performances in the middle of the park will make our centre backs look better.

Apart from that I reckon Meshino will be replaced by Avidjij.

Same formation, two like-for-like changes. Don't think Stendel will tinker any more than that. No need to panic.

Yep - agreed. How many times does Stendel have to say we will play our way every game. The same way. 

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Should we (Daniel ) have a plan B and change formation, tactics, swap people about etc at any point in the game?

Im no football genius but, from the history of CL’s time in charge we pretty much laid our cards on the table and literally every team knew exactly how we were going to play and how we were going to change (if we ever did) during games, they were able to counter everything we did and more often than not beat us.  Is Daniel showing his cards to early?

In the second half of the farmers game I’m Not sure if we abandoned Daniels style of play or if the farmers kicked us out of it.......or both.

I am sure there are nuances to our style but our plan B at the moment is sorting out our defence when we don’t have the ball not having a different style of play it isn’t working

That is Stendel’s whole modus operandi - our way is the right way and if we do it properly we will win. We change for no-one.

This is hugely important otherwise the players won’t properly buy into Plan A which will be counter intuitive to them at times.

Edited by Jammy T

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

I think one of the DMs are supposed to drop in when the CH covers wide, Smith did it fantastically well against Aberdeen. 
He is touch and go for Wednesday apparently.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Yep - agreed. How many times does Stendel have to say we will play our way every game. The same way. 

I am sure there are nuances to our style but our plan B at the moment is sorting out our defence when we don’t have the ball not having a different style of play it isn’t working

That is Stendel’s whole modus operandi - our way is the right way and if we do it properly we will win. We change for no-one.

This is hugely important otherwise the players won’t properly buy into Plan A which will be counter intuitive to them at times.

Some folk still haven’t clicked that we play the same way all the time, as you say chopping and changing doesn’t/didn’t help the players. The defensive side will improve as time goes on as the players learn the system.

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Some folk still haven’t clicked that we play the same way all the time, as you say chopping and changing doesn’t/didn’t help the players. The defensive side will improve as time goes on as the players learn the system.

👍 correct

For example I bet for a fact Halkett felt exposed that high up the pitch before Naismith’s equaliser last week, but he did his job, stayed high and tackled the guy 25 yards from goal and we scored.

The players need to be committed to Plan A and that’s just it - if they aren’t we’d have lost against Rangers for example.

Edited by Jammy T

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

👍 correct

For example I bet for a fact Halkett felt exposed that high up the pitch before Naismith’s equaliser last week, but he did his job, stayed high and tackled the guy 25 yards from goal and we scored.

The players need to be committed to Plan A and that’s just it - if they aren’t we’d have lost against Rangers for example.

Absolutely, it’s risky and we will be caught out but the players must learn from their mistakes.

I think most people are loving the new style and enjoying going to games again.

Zlamal

Halkett                Smith                    Souttar 

Clare                                                                                      Hickey

Sibbick                 Irving

Naismith                               Henderson

Boyce

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I would put the young lad Stone in goals. Look at the options - Pereira doesn't save anything, palms the ball to forwards is basically a sweeper. Zlamal will make a mistake and cost at least goal, may save a shot or two however.

Massive game for us but could be the making of the lad, Stone wouldn't be the first young keeper to be thrown in and handling the occasion.

He got put out on loan to Edinburgh City i believe.

Ricardo Quaresma

Zlamal

Clare                          Halkett                             Souttar                      Hickey/White

Smith/Sibbick                 Langer

Washington                                                                                            Uche

Naismith

Boyce 

4 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Ah well looks like we're stuck with the comedy duo then!

3 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Zlamal

Clare                          Halkett                             Souttar                      Hickey/White

Smith/Sibbick                 Langer

Washington                                                                                            Uche

Naismith

Boyce 

I absolutely love Uche, he is my fav player but I just don't see him as a starter.  He is so effective coming on late in the game.  This may not suit him but it suits thew team.

been here before
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

I absolutely love Uche, he is my fav player but I just don't see him as a starter.  He is so effective coming on late in the game.  This may not suit him but it suits thew team.

You dont see anyone starting.

Ricardo Quaresma
Just now, i8hibsh said:

idea is he picks up where he left off & will be more reliable than newer guys, plus he's at home & loves a goal against Kilmarnock

CornhillHearts
7 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Kelby Mason went on loan to city.

Harry Stone is still with Hearts and has been with the 1st team squad, involved with the keeper warm ups etc for the last few weeks

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

This was something I suggested after Saturday. Clare further forward instead of Henderson.

Clare wide right with Smith at RB, Washington or Uche (does he have the legs to last long though?) on the left, with Naismith and Boyce in the middle. And get the full backs to be a little more considered in when they attack, and have Souttar and Halkett playing much closer together. You could have sailed an aircraft carrier between them on Saturday.

In the manager's press conference he seemed to suggest the defence made Pereira nervous in the second half and that they need to defend better as a team

Pereira

Clare                                      Halkett                                                           Souttar                                   Sibbick

Langer                Irving

Washington                                                                Naismith                                                                   Henderson

Boyce

43 minutes ago, Mort said:

Zlamal

Halkett                Smith                    Souttar 

Clare                                                                                      Hickey

Sibbick                 Irving

Naismith                               Henderson

Boyce

Did u type that on a boat in high sea?

When you admit Uche is your favourite player its just further cementing the general feeling that you need special care and should only be allowed online under full supervision from a proper adult.

Stendel won’t change the shape, he’ll change the people in certain positions. 

Joel

Clare Souttar Halkett Hickey 

Irving Langer 

Washington Naismith Donis 

Boyce. 

I'd just like us to play players in their most natural positions. For me Clare is a back up right back if no-one else is available. I'd actually drop Pereira and bring Zlamal in. Hopefully Smith will be fit. Anyone know what's happening with Brandon?

Zlamal

Smith, Souttar, Halkett, White

Clare, Irving, Sibbick, Avdijaj

Naismith, Boyce

Subs: Pereira, Dikamona, Langer, Washington, Ikpeazu, Henderson, Walker

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

👍 correct

We were lucky we didn’t lose to Rangers as they, despite playing very poorly, missed 3 or 4 great chances which came as a result of the new system we’re trying to play.  We’ll win some and lose some this way.  I do hope there is a plan B.  Good managers adapt their tactics to where required so it does concern me if DS is determined to play only one way.  It won’t work every game and I think it’s going to be far more suited to Tynie.

6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We were lucky we didn’t lose to Rangers as they, despite playing very poorly, missed 3 or 4 great chances which came as a result of the new system we’re trying to play.  We’ll win some and lose some this way.  I do hope there is a plan B.  Good managers adapt their tactics to where required so it does concern me if DS is determined to play only one way.  It won’t work every game and I think it’s going to be far more suited to Tynie.

The person that I have known that has most adapted his tactics as required was Craig Levein

You miss the point completely about Stendel’s philosophy and therefore you stand to be disappointed as we will lose games under Stendel due to the way he plays.

Strap yourself in mate and don’t buy any planes, that’s all I’d say.

Oh and we’ll always need some luck to beat Rangers or Celtic.

The overlord manager of modern times needed a ridiculous amount of luck to beat Celtic in a semi final in 2012

Edited by Jammy T

From the press conference it sounds like Smith and Hickey will both still be out for Killie and there's a chance of Smith being back for Falkirk. But Stendel doesn't give much away.

No mention of Garuccio so it could be White again at LB. (Brian McLaughlin wasted time asking pointless questions asking about what might have happened in the transfer window re Thiam, Washington and Damour).

When invited to wax lyrical about Clare, Stendel said it was a good goal but that he needed to defend better. Sounds like he has been giving them all a rollicking for the way the defended second half in Perth.

7 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

From the press conference it sounds like Smith and Hickey will both still be out for Killie and there's a chance of Smith being back for Falkirk. But Stendel doesn't give much away.

No mention of Garuccio so it could be White again at LB. (Brian McLaughlin wasted time asking pointless questions asking about what might have happened in the transfer window re Thiam, Washington and Damour).

When invited to wax lyrical about Clare, Stendel said it was a good goal but that he needed to defend better. Sounds like he has been giving them all a rollicking for the way the defended second half in Perth.

Fair play

Standards

The rat catcher
44 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

When you admit Uche is your favourite player its just further cementing the general feeling that you need special care and should only be allowed online under full supervision from a proper adult.

Dearie me schools out early.

23 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Don’t see what Avdijaj has done to merit a start. Started at Ross County was poor, came on against St Johnstone and was poor. 

I know it’s very early days but I have a bad feeling this guy ain’t going to cut it. Really hope I’m wrong.

56 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I love big Uche - gives 110% and is a lovely guy. ❤️