Watching yesterday's match on record

Redhelen

Still looking good to me as an outsider. Players are trying things, you're scoring goals.  2nd SJ goal tough, really bad marking and Pereira should have done more to try to save it. At 3 2 that double chance SJ  had should have gone in but as fitness improves tracking back should in theory become easier. Takes some team spirit to come back from a goal down to lead, to lose that lead and then to be losing to then get a last minute draw. Think you ll be ok!

14 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

Still looking good to me as an outsider. Players are trying things, you're scoring goals.  2nd SJ goal tough, really bad marking and Pereira should have done more to try to save it. At 3 2 that double chance SJ  had should have gone in but as fitness improves tracking back should in theory become easier. Takes some team spirit to come back from a goal down to lead, to lose that lead and then to be losing to then get a last minute draw. Think you ll be ok!

:ban:Far too positive for this site :laugh:

It's a lot easier to be positive when you're not in it personally. However,  reading the comments on the match thread I thought the 2bd half was better than portrayed. Without Stevie May you'd have won 3- 0!

Edited by Redhelen

Horatio Caine
Just now, Redhelen said:

It's a lot easier to be positive when you're not in it personally. However,  reading the comments on the batch thread I thought the 2bd half was better than portrayed. Without Stevie May you'd have won 3- 0!

I agree.  I watched the whole match on record and didn't think we played as badly as the commentators on the radio were making out.  Yes, we fell away from the first half performance, but the whole demeanour of the team is different now.  Under Levein we'd not even have got one goal let alone three.  So Dan the man's making a difference.  It is, though, a work in progress.

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, kila said:

The fun test will be Parkhead a week on Wed

I think Killie will be a big test. St Johnstone adjusted and matched us for commitment and  pressed hard themselves. Made it difficult for us in the. Second half to maintain momentum. Will be a test on Wednesday of whether we have learned and improved game to game. An early goal will be important 

We will learn lessons in every game.  The positive from yesterday is that the lesson cost 2 points rather than 3.

The worrying thing for me was that it took us most of the second half to respond to St J’s change of approach.  However, it happened, and I’d like to think it’s a scenario we will better be able to adapt to in future games.

7 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I think Killie will be a big test. St Johnstone adjusted and matched us for commitment and  pressed hard themselves. Made it difficult for us in the. Second half to maintain momentum. Will be a test on Wednesday of whether we have learned and improved game to game. An early goal will be important 

At least losing a goal and going behind is not game over for us any more. We have much more resilience 

1 hour ago, Redhelen said:

It's a lot easier to be positive when you're not in it personally. However,  reading the comments on the match thread I thought the 2bd half was better than portrayed. Without Stevie May you'd have won 3- 0!

The ironical thing is that Stevie May has been chronic ever since he came back to Scotland. He was at Aberdeen and was dire and then moved to St Johnstone his old club and has been poor for most of the season and then he produces what must have been his best display for a few years against us, typical.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

2nd goal was a disaster. Where were they all? Pereira....ffs. . I thought he went down like a sack of tatties for the first mind. His feet seem incapable of quick adjustment right to grab an extra foot.

12 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I agree and I have watched the videos of us training with the one touch passing however one thing that a lot of the players need to work on is their upper body strength and not being so easily moved off the ball.

Henderson, Moore, Avdijaj are three that spring to mind immediately.

I also wish we would pass the ball in front of players so they can run onto the ball instead of having to check their stride to take the pass. It takes away the speed of play and gives defenders time to get into position.

52 minutes ago, kila said:

Beat Killie, Hamilton and St Mirren and the Celtic game is a free hit avoiding injuries and red cards.

47 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

that’s a free punt I’m afraid.. 99% chance we lose.. 

The Rangers game was viewed by some on here as a free punt too. You never know.

Just now, kila said:

That is why it's vital we beat Kilmarnock during the week. Against Celtic, the pressure is off somewhat as no-one will expect anything other than a Celtic win. That said, it's not impossible that we could get a point. Celtic will attack from the off which can lead to a few gaps in their defence where we could (in theory) get a few chances. The likes of Boyce, Naismith can link well and create a chance here and there but these chances, however few, need to be made the most of. My view on Celtic away is - expect to lose and anything more is a bonus.

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

The ironical thing is that Stevie May has been chronic ever since he came back to Scotland. He was at Aberdeen and was dire and then moved to St Johnstone his old club and has been poor for most of the season and then he produces what must have been his best display for a few years against us, typical.

Often the way but could see why he got MotM

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

That is why it's vital we beat Kilmarnock during the week. Against Celtic, the pressure is off somewhat as no-one will expect anything other than a Celtic win. That said, it's not impossible that we could get a point. Celtic will attack from the off which can lead to a few gaps in their defence where we could (in theory) get a few chances. The likes of Boyce, Naismith can link well and create a chance here and there but these chances, however few, need to be made the most of. My view on Celtic away is - expect to lose and anything more is a bonus.

We should be having a good look at the way Ross Co played gainst Celtic at Parkhead they did really well and cretaed lots of chances that on another day they could have scored a few goals.

The only thing I think with DS is that he only ever seems to want his team to  play one way and that is a worry for Celtic Park.

He may surprise us and try a different formation but I am not so sure he will.

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, kila said:

We’ll get hammered there as usual.  We’re all over the place defensively at the moment and Celtic will take advantage of that.  We won’t be playing the game on the front foot like Stendel wants and I can see us reverting to type.

Killie at home first is a big one and at least we’re scoring goals now.  I reckon our home form will improve massively to keep us up but we’ll continue to be shite away from home.

Fozzyonthefence
35 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We should be having a good look at the way Ross Co played gainst Celtic at Parkhead they did really well and cretaed lots of chances that on another day they could have scored a few goals.

The only thing I think with DS is that he only ever seems to want his team to  play one way and that is a worry for Celtic Park.

He may surprise us and try a different formation but I am not so sure he will.

Ross Co could have scored 4 by half time at Celtic Park.  It usually takes us about 2 seasons to cross the half way line 4 times there!

3 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Sadly, our goalkeeper gave him a lot of encouragement. 

1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

Yes unfortuantely. I watched the game again after I got home and he has such weak wrists it's unreal.

Guest ToqueJambo
41 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

That weird save from a long range Stevie May punt... he had no reason to punch it away. Very poor performance yesterday.

6 hours ago, Redhelen said:

2nd goal Naismith was ball watching/slow to react to the run of the goalscorer and Pereira's attempt to save the shot 🙄 he really is proving to be a poor excuse for a goalkeeper...

56 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That weird save from a long range Stevie May punt... he had no reason to punch it away. Very poor performance yesterday.

It was laughable.

Weakened Offender
4 hours ago, redjambo said:

The Rangers game was viewed by some on here as a free punt too. You never know.

Correct. Celtic will drop points on the run-in. There is real pressure on them. 

I watched it again  on record. We actually played better than I’d thought at the match, in the second half. We were caught out time and again with the full backs too far up the park. Despite both playing poorly in the half,  We often left our two centre backs badly exposed. It didn’t help them much. The keeper was poor on at least 3 occasions. We’d still have lost that game early in the season 

30 minutes ago, Bighenry said:

I watched it again  on record. We actually played better than I’d thought at the match, in the second half. We were caught out time and again with the full backs too far up the park. Despite both playing poorly in the half,  We often left our two centre backs badly exposed. It didn’t help them much. The keeper was poor on at least 3 occasions. We’d still have lost that game early in the season 

If we can pick up draws on the road while winning the majority of our home games we will be absolutly fine this season. Especially this month with big games against those around us. County seem to be in free fall also which is a bonus 

18 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

If we can pick up draws on the road while winning the majority of our home games we will be absolutly fine this season. Especially this month with big games against those around us. County seem to be in free fall also which is a bonus 

That was my exact thoughts after the game. The positive is that we can’t defend as badly again surely.. we will get better

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Scored 10 goals in 3 games too. 
Thats always a positive. 

That's the difference now. 

We have goals in us. 

Many of our defeats were 1-0, can't see that scoreline too often now. 

Far too often, we huffed and puffed then got beat. 

We can score, hopefully learn from our mistakes as well. 

9 hours ago, wavydavy said:

I agree and I have watched the videos of us training with the one touch passing however one thing that a lot of the players need to work on is their upper body strength and not being so easily moved off the ball.

Henderson, Moore, Avdijaj are three that spring to mind immediately.

I also wish we would pass the ball in front of players so they can run onto the ball instead of having to check their stride to take the pass. It takes away the speed of play and gives defenders time to get into position.

Agree with the upper body part but I also think it’s a bravery issue aswell. It can also come down to how much you want to take the hit or how much you really want to protect the ball.  

There’s times the players above have moments where they are in a position to make a decision but don’t put the energy into protecting the ball. I don’t expect them to shove big 6ft 5 centre backs off the ball in 50/50s but you can still be a barrier, or at least when the ball in in your control, fight harder to keep it. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Scored 10 goals in 3 games too. 
Thats always a positive. 

10 in 4 but yes still an improvement

On 02/02/2020 at 10:25, Marvin said:

And sensible is hels it seems👍🇱🇻🇱🇻👍😬

jack D and coke
On 02/02/2020 at 11:49, pettigrewsstylist said:

2nd goal was a disaster. Where were they all? Pereira....ffs. . I thought he went down like a sack of tatties for the first mind. His feet seem incapable of quick adjustment right to grab an extra foot.

And his rubber wrists :facepalm:

The wait for his first good save goes on. 

On 02/02/2020 at 11:49, pettigrewsstylist said:

Thought he was at fault with first as well.

It was a bit of a sclaff and he seemed to go down in slow motion. 

He also constantly palms the ball into a danger area rather than to the side. 

Can't help think Stendel will now think he should have done something in the window about the goalkeeping situation. 😏

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

pettigrewsstylist

Not sure Clare and Whyte have the legs for this set up at FB.

Pretty big gaps 2nd half and all too easy.  Not helped by Halkett seemed to have forgotten the basics at HT also.

On 02/02/2020 at 11:44, kingantti1874 said:

that’s a free punt I’m afraid.. 99% chance we lose.. 

Pereira playing  at sceptic ?🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮💩💩💩💩a worrying 90 mins,   

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Not sure Clare and Whyte have the legs for this set up at FB.

Pretty big gaps 2nd half and all too easy.  Not helped by Halkett seemed to have forgotten the basics at HT also.

Your right but you can’t miss Souttar out, just watching the game and he’s all over the place from start to finish. Langer or Smith need to come into DM and help the defence, especially away from home.

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Thought he was at fault with first as well.

It was a bit of a sclaff and he seemed to go down in slow motion. 

He also constantly palms the ball into a danger area rather than to the side. 

Can't help think Stendel will now think he should have done something in the window about the goalkeeping situation. 😏

Souttar badly at fault at the first too, but a decent GK saves the first&second goals and comes to punch or catch the free kick they got the penalty from. There’s at least 100 gk going as free agents.

I am loathe to disagree with people who have seen the entire game but I thought Periera was absolutely blameless for the first goal.  I also think we miss Smith in particular.  That is based on seeing 12 minutes of highlights.

Would love to see Periera have a blinder on Wednesday although will be disappointed if he has to.

As for Celtic, I saw 60 minutes of their game against Hamilton and I certainly didn't think i was watching PSG. 

• redm changed the title to Watching yesterday's match on record
On 02/02/2020 at 10:09, Redhelen said:

👍🇱🇻