Pereira

parwj

14 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Common sense says the clause rumour is nonsense. However, given how ruthless he has been with other players, club stalwarts, proven internationalists, he has shown a baffling loyalty towards a keeper who is so obviously not good enough, arguably not even good enough for lower level football. Agreed his options are limited but Bobby was never this bad. 

Whats Ray Garland doing these days? 

respectfully disagree, I believe playing clauses are probably more common that we know.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-insisting-playing-clause-loan-11641458

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/sep/06/football-league-loan-deals

https://www.ft.com/content/9bd82b30-caf2-11e9-a1f4-3669401ba76f

Edited by Jap Jambo
additional clarification

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Jambof3tornado

• kingantti1874

5 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Common sense says the clause rumour is nonsense. However, given how ruthless he has been with other players, club stalwarts, proven internationalists, he has shown a baffling loyalty towards a keeper who is so obviously not good enough, arguably not even good enough for lower level football. Agreed his options are limited but Bobby was never this bad. 

Do you mean Kenny Garland ? 

KG joined the Police and would be round at your door if he reads your post 😁

Kenny was a good keeper, good enough to keep Jim Cruickshank out the team for a while. 

11 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Even if that player wants what is best for the team and the club? 

I suppose "ought to" does leave some wiggle room. Very difficult to do without arousing suspicion among teammates and Pereira himself though. Which would leak out to agents and hence the press, who'd have a field day with it.

Maybe better to hire a private investigator from Glasgow to catch him wearing Hibs pyjamas and sack him for gross misconduct. 😀

Willie Hamilton genius
10 minutes ago, Jap Jambo said:

Was sceptical about the Joel has to play or financial punishment stories.

These links show how common these deals actually are.

But if it is true, I wonder what the costs would be to not play him?

Falkirk, around 8 years ago reckoned relegation would cost them £2 million.

That was Falkirk!

So, 8 years later, how much would it cost Hearts?

I'm afraid keeping Joel in goals will definitely take us down

16 minutes ago, Willie Hamilton genius said:

Was sceptical about the Joel has to play or financial punishment stories.

These links show how common these deals actually are.

But if it is true, I wonder what the costs would be to not play him?

Falkirk, around 8 years ago reckoned relegation would cost them £2 million.

That was Falkirk!

So, 8 years later, how much would it cost Hearts?

I'm afraid keeping Joel in goals will definitely take us down

No idea what the contract says but I do believe that the manager sees the same incompetence 95% of JKB sees, given that he isn't a fool there must therefore be a rational explanation for it. I also know that from a business perspective there is no way I'd be wanting to pay a player £15,000 a week to sit on the bench up here in Scotland.

Ronald Villiers

I'm baffled that he's playing at the level he is.  I know that a lot of Continental keepers like to punch the ball rather than catch it, but even when a shot is hit straight at him, he's got this annoying habit of dropping the ball.  Why can't he just hold onto it!  It must be a dream for any striker playing against him.

Willie Hamilton genius
4 minutes ago, Jap Jambo said:

No idea what the contract says but I do believe that the manager sees the same incompetence 95% of JKB sees, given that he isn't a fool there must therefore be a rational explanation for it. I also know that from a business perspective there is no way I'd be wanting to pay a player £15,000 a week to sit on the bench up here in Scotland.

Yup, from a business perspective I'd absolutely hate to be paying someone that amount.

However, if we have 12 league games left , that means 12 x 15= £180,000

If we don't play him and stay up, we pay that.

If we play him and go down ,we lose £2m?

One of your links says Liverpool have a must play 75% of games clause.

Maybe we've nearly reached that's?

Straws firmly clutched!

Joel is rated the league’s second worst goalkeeper this season in terms of save percentage:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/scottish-premiership-the-most-effective-goalkeepers-at-saving-shots-ranked-1-5090579?page=5

SURELY this is enough evidence to support dropping him and giving Zlamal a chance again.

I think DS has used the celtic game as a last chance for JP. Realistically we might have scraped a point at most so no point replacing the keeper in a game where he is most likely to face more shots on goal than any other game we have played. 

A new keeper will be in for the rest of the season unless they can somehow show they are even a fraction as bad as JP. 

I don't know if I would put Stones in goal but if he is good enough why not. He can't be anywhere as bad as what we have just now. 

If selection was taken by others then who?  If Stendel, then his fault if points dropped due to butter fingers ultimately result in relegation.  Surely cutting nose to spite face.

38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Someone better remind Stendel that he has only been playing Pereira because he has to and its all Levein's fault for signing a dodgy contract. I know it's true, I read it on kickback.

2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Mclaughlin coming up with what we all want to hear, no direct quotes, no inside info.

All while sucking a mince and onion pie smoothie through a straw. Well done Brian. 

Edited by GinRummy

7 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Smith looks like he wants to deck him in that picture after Celtic's first goal.

Just watching the highlights you can see a few of the defence throwing up their arms in hugely exasperated fashion after goal #1.

11 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Mclaughlin coming up with what we all want to hear, no direct quotes, no inside info.

Think it will be from press conference this morning

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

Kenny was a good keeper, good enough to keep Jim Cruickshank out the team for a while. 

True and unfairly i was thinking of Ray Dunlop. 

Pasquale for King

He didn’t exactly do well last season either, sent back in January and punted out again. Did anyone at the club do any homework on this guy “his career has stalled”, no shit. If there is a clause then this is why.

0D89B1E6-1286-49D4-A442-07A1AAAEE546.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

alwaysthereinspirit
11 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

True and unfairly i was thinking of Ray Dunlop. 

Ray Dunlop was in net against Hamburg I believe in 76. I remember heading to the game thinking we'd do to them the same thing we'd done to Leipzig.

Oh the naivety of youth.

Edit; Brian Wilson.

Edited by alwaysthereinspirit

15 hours ago, Costanza said:

Those 16 U21 caps for Portugal beggar belief. 

I know Jack Hamilton made a few full Scotland squads but still. 

The blurb on his Man U profile is an eye opener. 

"A popular player with bags of talent and determination, former Reds boss Jose Mourinho has predicted his compatriot will become the outstanding Portuguese goalkeeper of his generation."

"Despite struggling for game time during the 2017/18 campaign, he continued to develop his immeasurable potential as United's third-choice keeper"

I'm assuming all players write their own blurbs there then.

With every game we are still experiencing the Levein legacy.  Budge and Levein really have ****ed us up beyond all repair.  We are going down.

It really shows you how much of a spent force Man United are that this joker even played one full game for them.

Edited by i8hibsh

31 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

From the Evening News:

There have been calls for either Zdenek Zlamal or Colin Doyle to replace Pereira between the sticks. The Polish goalkeeper was on the bench on Wednesday.

“Yes, but it’s normal for every position,” Stendel said when asked about possibly making a change.

“What is the best? You need to look at what has happened in training and what has happened in the last games.

“For every position, not only goalkeepers, I like to speak with players on why we decided what.”

Edited by Cwapsy

2 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

Now that is a blast from the past I played against Kenny when he was at Strathmiglo  even then he was a good goalkeeper.

Edited by grumpyespana

The sad thing is we demand he gets replaced but on Saturday night there will be a thread about how shite Doyle or Zibimal were.  It actually makes no difference if either of the other two duds replace him.

Edited by i8hibsh

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The sad thing is we demand he gets replaced but on Saturday night there will be a thread about how shite Doyle or Zibimal were.  It actually makes no difference if the either of the other two duds replace him.

Probably agree but you’ve got to try eh? What’ve we got to lose at this stage?

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Probably agree but you’ve got to try eh? What’ve we got to lose at this stage?

Halckett and Souttar being so inconsistent does not help in any way either.

Edited by i8hibsh

Just now, i8hibsh said:

Couldn’t agree more. I’d have Smith partnering one of them on Saturday which is a shame because he’s needed elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The sad thing is we demand he gets replaced but on Saturday night there will be a thread about how shite Doyle or Zibimal were.  It actually makes no difference if either of the other two duds replace him.

Zlamal is an alright shot stopper though which Pereira certainly isn't

Just now, Sertse said:

Definitely agree with this. In a relegation battle you need a good shot stopper.

Pereira is by far the best goalie we've had with his feet, in terms of distribution, kicking etc but for whatever reason cannot save shots properly.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

I'm baffled that he's playing at the level he is.  I know that a lot of Continental keepers like to punch the ball rather than catch it, but even when a shot is hit straight at him, he's got this annoying habit of dropping the ball.  Why can't he just hold onto it!  It must be a dream for any striker playing against him.

It’s like the ball goes through him if it’s anything more than 2ft either side. Even the 2nd Celtic goal from the corner was straight at him hes absolutely ****ing hopeless and he just can’t play again. 
We’re in dire straits and I have my doubts we’re getting out of this tbh but with him in goal we’re an absolute cast iron certainty to go down. The only saves he makes I could probably make and anything else just goes through his lettuce like hands and in....it’s utterly bizarre he’s playing professional football imo. 

Edited by jack D and coke

11 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

Definitely agree with this. In a relegation battle you need a good shot stopper.

Pereira is by far the best goalie we've had with his feet, in terms of distribution, kicking etc but for whatever reason cannot save shots properly.

And the first job a goalie has to be good at is saving shots and Pereira is hopeless at this.

How this guy ever got signed for Man U is a mystery and maybe tells the world why Man U 

are no longer a top team in England.

2 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

Harry Stone will hopefully be given a chance on Saturday

Said the other week if he drops Joel the only real option imo is the young goalie who people have been bigging up. Got his name wrong but Stone is the one I meant. I get peoples fear about putting him in a relegation battle but I just think if you drop Joel , Zlamal is not an option that will improve things. It would mean we had to sit deeper for a start. 

19 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Pereira wouldn't even be good in goals at walking football.

Only if the ball moved at the same rate as the players. He’d be good if they played with a balloon though, his weak wrists could probably cope with that. 

5 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

Harry Stone will hopefully be given a chance on Saturday

Totally agree. Virtually all previous posts have limited vision beyond Boaby and Doyle. Just as Hickey was given his chance (with much criticism from this web} then Harry Stone should be given his

Zlamal was our first choice keeper during the unbeaten 8 game run after he arrived. I don't know what happened, couple of mistakes but was still a very agile goalkeeper. He gets dropped, Colin Doyle comes in and I thought he commanded his box better than Zlamal. He did let the ball run through him against Motherwell but that has happened to much better goalies, in fact, probably every goalie that ever existed has had that happen to them. It's just one of those things. Since then, he's hardly played at all. Is that fair on him after watching Pereira fluff shots in just about every game? I was all for giving Zlamal the gloves again recently but maybe Doyle shouldn't be discounted either. No point watching Pereira making a bleep of it every game when you're paying two other goalies a wage. Pereira's confidence is completely shot. It's almost cruel to keep playing him. A change has to happen on Saturday, it just has to. Even just for Pereira's own sake (or sanity) and get him out the limelight for a while.

43 minutes ago, Sertse said:

He tends to parry the ball a lot but at least he is capable of making the initial save, which quite frankly, Pereira can't do.

5 minutes ago, Mort said:

He tends to parry the ball a lot but at least he is capable of making the initial save, which quite frankly, Pereira can't do.

One of the most annoying things about Pereira is when he does get firm hands to a ball he just seems to knock it down into a dangerous area. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

They been consistently awful since they teamed up.

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Zlamal was our first choice keeper during the unbeaten 8 game run after he arrived. I don't know what happened, couple of mistakes but was still a very agile goalkeeper. He gets dropped, Colin Doyle comes in and I thought he commanded his box better than Zlamal. He did let the ball run through him against Motherwell but that has happened to much better goalies, in fact, probably every goalie that ever existed has had that happen to them. It's just one of those things. Since then, he's hardly played at all. Is that fair on him after watching Pereira fluff shots in just about every game? I was all for giving Zlamal the gloves again recently but maybe Doyle shouldn't be discounted either. No point watching Pereira making a bleep of it every game when you're paying two other goalies a wage. Pereira's confidence is completely shot. It's almost cruel to keep playing him. A change has to happen on Saturday, it just has to. Even just for Pereira's own sake (or sanity) and get him out the limelight for a while.

Zlamal made continual mistakes, he cost us numerous goals and what happened in the cup final. A poor start to the season saw Levein change his mind and get another GK, showing his complete lack of judgement he signed the Stray cat.

Doyle offers no confidence to the team or fans.

I couldn’t care less about Perriera and his state of mind, get him to **** out the team and the club.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Don’t think Zlamal is any better a keeper, but given how jittery the support is about Pereira, it would probably make sense to change keepers, at least for this game. That might have a galvanising effect on the crowd from the start, many of whom will otherwise be looking for a reason to howl.

Fozzyonthefence
30 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Let’s remember Bobby got dropped because he was having a mare and his confidence was shot too.  Do we really want him back in the firing line?  For me it has to Doyle or the youngster.  I agree Doyle is crap too but he seems to have less brain farts than the other two with his main weakness (Motherwell howler aside) being his flapping at cross balls.

Whoever we have in goals needs protection from the central defenders, at the moment they are both poor. If Joel wasn't so bad I think the spotlight would be firmly set on Soutar. I think he has been shocking the past 3 games. I'd rather see Smith and Halkett partner tomorrow. I say we get Bobby back in, but I have never seen Stone play.

Any one that attends the reserve games give a view on him?

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Don’t think Zlamal is any better a keeper, but given how jittery the support is about Pereira, it would probably make sense to change keepers, at least for this game. That might have a galvanising effect on the crowd from the start, many of whom will otherwise be looking for a reason to howl.

He’s erratic, but capable of saving stuff .. he is much better.. occasional clangers b constant clangers in every single game