February’s Games

BackOfTheNet

Now that the transfer window is closed we can get back to the on pitch matters! :pleased:

February could be a really good month for us potentially, with 4 of the 5 league games very winnable and a cup game against lower league opposition. Out of curiosity I thought I’d look not only at our next 5 fixtures, but of the other teams as well and then look at the table.

Currently the table looks like this:

1. Celtic               61

2. Rangers          56

3. Motherwell     41

4. Aberdeen        37

5. Livingston       31

6. Hibernian        29

7. Kilmarnock     23

8. St. Johnstone 23

9. Ross County   22

10. St. Mirren      20

11. Hamilton       18

12. Hearts           17

Our next 5 league fixtures look like this:

St. Johnstone v Hearts

Hearts v Kilmarnock

Celtic v Hearts

Hearts v Hamilton

St. Mirren v Hearts

Looking at those fixtures an optimist would say 12 points is very doable. Celtic is the game which will for obvious reasons be likely out of reach for points. As the Ross County game shows just because we can beat a team doesn’t mean we will. But realistically 4 wins out 5 is doable. That’s not me getting ahead of myself, I’m very aware I may need to curb my enthusiasm, games against those teams are very winnable.

So, what if we do gain 12 out of 15 points, where could we be in the table come the end of February as we go into the derby match at Easter Road. I’ve had a wee gander at the upcoming fixtures for the other teams too and after a few win/lose/draw predictions, this is something what I think the table will look like:

PREDICTED TABLE BY END OF FEBRUARY:

1. Celtic               76

2. Rangers          71

3. Motherwell     49

4. Aberdeen        46

5. Hibernian        39

6. Livingston       35

7. Hearts             29

8. Kilmarnock     25

9. St. Johnstone 25

10. Ross County 25

11. St. Mirren      21

12. Hamilton       20

As I’ve stated this is merely a prediction. We may not get 12 points or close to it, time will tell. Point I’m making is we could and even to a lesser extent should get that many points. Obviously there’s room for manoeuvre too, like the cluster of St. Johnstone, County and Kilmarnock, they could end up completely different. Livingston/Hibs and Aberdeen/Motherwell may switch around too.

Apologies for the long post. Just wanted to see what things could potentially look like if we keep up the good work. From being bottom now to 7th in the space of 5 games seems a task, but it’s achievable!

12 is very achievable but think we need to keep our feet on the ground a little and remember how much work DS has had to do, and still has to do getting this new team to jel.

If Avidjij turns out to be as class as we hope and Boyce continues to find the net then that will go a long long way.

16 minutes ago, E6 Inc said:

12 is very achievable but think we need to keep our feet on the ground a little and remember how much work DS has had to do, and still has to do getting this new team to jel.

If Avidjij turns out to be as class as we hope and Boyce continues to find the net then that will go a long long way.

Completely understandable that feet should be firmly on the ground. As I say in the original post, we may be nowhere near 12 points but the point is that 12 points is very achievable. Even before Stendel with the squad we had and budget we have we should be expecting to beat those teams anyway. But although we’re expected to beat doesn’t mean we will. Today will be a true test of how far we come, how the pressing game works against more defensive sides and away from home.

3 or 4 wins would be acceptable. 

Celtic apart we can't really afford to get beat due to the positions of the other teams in the league. 

12 is possible but I feel we will draw against killie. Also feel we will be a lot closer to the shite than the OP predicts.

part_time_jambo
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Now that the transfer window is closed we can get back to the on pitch matters! :pleased:

February could be a really good month for us potentially, with 4 of the 5 league games very winnable and a cup game against lower league opposition. Out of curiosity I thought I’d look not only at our next 5 fixtures, but of the other teams as well and then look at the table.

2. Rangers          56

3. Motherwell     41

4. Aberdeen        37

5. Livingston       31

6. Hibernian        29

7. Kilmarnock     23

8. St. Johnstone 23

9. Ross County   22

10. St. Mirren      20

11. Hamilton       18

12. Hearts           17

St. Johnstone v Hearts

Hearts v Kilmarnock

Celtic v Hearts

Hearts v Hamilton

St. Mirren v Hearts

Looking at those fixtures an optimist would say 12 points is very doable. Celtic is the game which will for obvious reasons be likely out of reach for points. As the Ross County game shows just because we can beat a team doesn’t mean we will. But realistically 4 wins out 5 is doable. That’s not me getting ahead of myself, I’m very aware I may need to curb my enthusiasm, games against those teams are very winnable.

So, what if we do gain 12 out of 15 points, where could we be in the table come the end of February as we go into the derby match at Easter Road. I’ve had a wee gander at the upcoming fixtures for the other teams too and after a few win/lose/draw predictions, this is something what I think the table will look like:

2. Rangers          71

3. Motherwell     49

4. Aberdeen        46

5. Hibernian        39

6. Livingston       35

7. Hearts             29

8. Kilmarnock     25

9. St. Johnstone 25

10. Ross County 25

11. St. Mirren      21

12. Hamilton       20

As I’ve stated this is merely a prediction. We may not get 12 points or close to it, time will tell. Point I’m making is we could and even to a lesser extent should get that many points. Obviously there’s room for manoeuvre too, like the cluster of St. Johnstone, County and Kilmarnock, they could end up completely different. Livingston/Hibs and Aberdeen/Motherwell may switch around too.

Apologies for the long post. Just wanted to see what things could potentially look like if we keep up the good work. From being bottom now to 7th in the space of 5 games seems a task, but it’s achievable!

I don't see the point of playing these games in February, as we now know what the table will look like. Just give all the teams a rest until March. In fact get the OP to post the final table and end the season now.

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Completely understandable that feet should be firmly on the ground. As I say in the original post, we may be nowhere near 12 points but the point is that 12 points is very achievable. Even before Stendel with the squad we had and budget we have we should be expecting to beat those teams anyway. But although we’re expected to beat doesn’t mean we will. Today will be a true test of how far we come, how the pressing game works against more defensive sides and away from home.

Today will tell us a lot. Beating Rangers was amazing but breaking a team down only intent on hitting us on the counter will be a different challenge.

Get an early goal and theyll have to come onto us and think we'd end up putting a few past them.

3-0 Hearts, Boyce, Avidjij and Washington

10 points from those games feels more realistic.  Improving the away form is a longer term goal for me, the key to survival and potential 6th/7th Place finish will come from us remaining unbeaten at home for the remainder of the season. 

15 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

10 points from those games feels more realistic.  Improving the away form is a longer term goal for me, the key to survival and potential 6th/7th Place finish will come from us remaining unbeaten at home for the remainder of the season. 

Certainly. Survival is the goal at the moment, but if we find ourselves anywhere like 7th/8th by end of February we should start using the remaining games as a springboard for the next season.

Excited about seeing stendel setting up a team that won’t piss it’s pants when we travel to Celtic.

i think 3 or 4 wins out of those 5 fixtures is achievable.

Regal Kingston

I think 2 wins, 2 draws and a defeat would be more realistic and a great return given our position

Our away form is murder. 
Win the home games, don’t get beat away and a free hit at Celtic 

I know it's totally stupid to base things on one game, but the Rangers game really felt like such a turning point in terms to atmosphere in the stadium, within the squad and of course the performance itself. 

If we can replicate anywhere close to that we should be looking at 12 points. Maintaining that kind of intensity in every game probably isn't achievable, but Stendel seems pretty clear and demanding with what he expects, so pretty confident that we'll be a few points clear of the bottom of the table by the end of the month. 

49 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Excited about seeing stendel setting up a team that won’t piss it’s pants when we travel to Celtic.

Very much this. A manager and a few new players who don’t give a crap who Celtic are will be interesting to see. In many ways that fixture with no pressure will perhaps be easier potential for points than say, today where on paper and by budget we should win.

Would rather wait and see what happens today, we have a problem winning away against all teams, if it was a dry sunny day perfect but its not, good thing is if its not going our way bench is strong as its ever been for a long time.

1 hour ago, E6 Inc said:

Today will tell us a lot. Beating Rangers was amazing but breaking a team down only intent on hitting us on the counter will be a different challenge.

Get an early goal and theyll have to come onto us and think we'd end up putting a few past them.

3-0 Hearts, Boyce, Avidjij and Washington

:spoton:

It is against teams like st Johnstone that are the true proof of how we have improved 

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

:spoton:

It is against teams like st Johnstone that are the true proof of how we have improved 

Correct. Today will be a good barometer of where we are heading. 

2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Sorry mate I’ve watched Hearts for 50 years and I’ve seen far better Hearts teams than this wet there pants at Parkhead

Re the other fixtures...agree, totally winnable.

20 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Sorry mate I’ve watched Hearts for 50 years and I’ve seen far better Hearts teams than this wet there pants at Parkhead

Re the other fixtures...agree, totally winnable.

what I’m saying is I don’t imagine stendel will set up to camp in our own half for the whole game. I believe he’ll have a go .

Today’s game is difficult to call but do think that we can get a win. Killie are in freefall at the moment and definitely fancy our chances against them and Hamilton. Celtic is like Rangers, a free hit. 

The banana skin for me is St Midden. They say in and made it difficult at Ibrox and did OK against the Mutton Molesters.

8 or 10 points from the 5 games 

1 hour ago, Getintaethem said:

We need to prove we can win games on the road before dreaming of what might be.  Today is a huge test.

Agreed this is a huge test. And for clarification sake I wasn’t necessarily “dreaming of what might be”, was more painting a picture of a team of our stature, squad quality and wage bill should be winning those games.

2 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

Would rather wait and see what happens today, we have a problem winning away against all teams, if it was a dry sunny day perfect but its not, good thing is if its not going our way bench is strong as its ever been for a long time.

Eh?  Don’t want to speak too soon, but it’s mild and quite sunny in Perth just now.

6 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Looking at those fixtures an optimist would say 12 points is very doable.

Winning five league games out of six doesn't often happen. We can dream though.

Edited by 4marsbars

27 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

12 points is four wins.

Think they mean including the Rangers game. Which would be true, of course, Rangers included if we were to win every game bar Celtic it would be 5 wins out of 6 when we’ve only won two all season.

Saying that, as people have mentioned on this thread it’s better to take one game at a time, which I’m sure the management and players are doing, I’m just looking to potential in the future and each game on their own merit should be classed as very winnable apart from Celtic. We’ll see though, starting today. We all may be brought down back to earth after last week, who knows.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

50 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

That's good news re weather down here in Edinburgh its very windy.

Update:  P***ing rain in Perth now ...              :sadrobbo:

34 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Think they mean including the Rangers game. Which would be true, of course, Rangers included if we were to win every game bar Celtic it would be 5 wins out of 6 when we’ve only won two all season.

Saying that, as people have mentioned on this thread it’s better to take one game at a time, which I’m sure the management and players are doing, I’m just looking to potential in the future and each game on their own merit should be classed as very winnable apart from Celtic. We’ll see though, starting today. We all may be brought down back to earth after last week, who knows.

12 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

You forgotten last week's game already? 

Of course :facepalm:

I apologise :)

6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

you are becoming the living embodiment of your profile picture

I can think of worse people to be than Ralph Wiggum :lol:

5 hours ago, Regal Kingston said:

I think 2 wins, 2 draws and a defeat would be more realistic and a great return given our position

Our away form is murder. 
Win the home games, don’t get beat away and a free hit at Celtic 

Agreed. 8 points would be a decent return from those game. Could be wrong but I doubt we are suddenly going to start winning regularly away from home. 

4 hours ago, Getintaethem said:

We need to prove we can win games on the road before dreaming of what might be.  Today is a huge test.

Very much so.

Today was a wake up call. No team in the bottom half is going to lie down to us.

We are in a battle!

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2020 at 06:25, BackOfTheNet said:

2. Rangers          56

3. Motherwell     41

4. Aberdeen        37

5. Livingston       31

6. Hibernian        29

7. Kilmarnock     23

8. St. Johnstone 23

9. Ross County   22

10. St. Mirren      20

11. Hamilton       18

12. Hearts           17

St. Johnstone v Hearts

Hearts v Kilmarnock

Celtic v Hearts

Hearts v Hamilton

St. Mirren v Hearts

2. Rangers          71

3. Motherwell     49

4. Aberdeen        46

5. Hibernian        39

6. Livingston       35

7. Hearts             29

8. Kilmarnock     25

9. St. Johnstone 25

10. Ross County 25

11. St. Mirren      21

12. Hamilton       20

Can't knock your optimistic prediction as most of us didn't foresee things being this bad.

Jambof3tornado
15 minutes ago, JimCornette said:

Can't knock your optimistic prediction as most of us didn't foresee things being this bad.

Haha op slightly off but as you say dont think any of us would have thought we'd be so bad.

On 01/02/2020 at 06:25, BackOfTheNet said:

2. Rangers          56

3. Motherwell     41

4. Aberdeen        37

5. Livingston       31

6. Hibernian        29

7. Kilmarnock     23

8. St. Johnstone 23

9. Ross County   22

10. St. Mirren      20

11. Hamilton       18

12. Hearts           17

St. Johnstone v Hearts

Hearts v Kilmarnock

Celtic v Hearts

Hearts v Hamilton

St. Mirren v Hearts

2. Rangers          71

3. Motherwell     49

4. Aberdeen        46

5. Hibernian        39

6. Livingston       35

7. Hearts             29

8. Kilmarnock     25

9. St. Johnstone 25

10. Ross County 25

11. St. Mirren      21

12. Hamilton       20

Looks fine in hindsight "  hope your right ,looks s lot better from way up there 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻👍♥️

A couple of wins for us could change everything. Need to pull them from somewhere. I've got this sick feeling its going to come down to another teams result or something...

Cory McNamara

Let's hope for a change. The team looks better in the attacking zone. Walker, Boyce and Zlamal will have another chance to show something. A few wins and the sun will shine again.