Record Players

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Have been thinking about this for a while, not looking for ultra high end just a decent player.

Looking to find albums from long ago as a bit of a hobby and would like a player with blue tooth speakers etc

Fly my pretties, fly.

Also recommendations 🧐

Pay a visit to Richer Sounds and ask the question .they are really helpful

it also depends on how much you are prepared to cough up

What's your budget? It may be you'd be much better off getting and old one and doing it up. A lot of the modern turntables are pretty shite, to be honest. 

6 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

vinyl is always a bit shit, when compared to high quality digital music. 

if you want best quality listening experience, no vinyl ££££££ will provide it. 

Completely disagree.

Vinyl has a different sound compared to the sterility of digital. Digital usually compresses the file so it has a flat sound. 

High quality analog equipment with top quality cartridges, decent cables, amp / pre-amp, speakers etc has a much warmer and more nuanced sound.

I'd most people who buy records these days will have a pretty basic set-up with basic equipment but with some care and finance, vinyl is much nicer.

I'm using these now.

https://www.technics.com/uk/products/grand-class/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1210gr.html

Had the same 1210mk2s since 1998 so felt it was time for an upgrade. Shure white label cartridges and vintage amp / pre-amp and speakers.

The sound quality is insane. So lively and full of detail compared to downloadable files.

18 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I was in Richer Sounds one day, lots of chat, ended up in the showroom. 

They had a good turntable. Fair enough.

THEN they played a high quality digital stream. It was a £7K system; It was like I was alive in amongst the sound. 

I have not spent a penny on audio since. I am saving up. 

Using WAV files or something?

You obviously can go quite high end with that sort of gear but it's still a compressed, flat sounding format. People say it sounds "laptoppy" or "uniform".

The warmth and texture with audiophile analog gear is next level. Expensive hobby though. 😆

28 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I sat in the Richer Sounds listening room (its been re-jigged since)

And I listened to a Led Zep LP and a Pink Floyd streaming what not.

The Pink Floyd what not, was like , same amp and speakers, it was like the music was a real thing I was part of. I haven't been able to listen to music the same way since. 

Might have been a shitty pressing. Unsure what carts, cables and deck they would use as well. May have been average or entry level gear.

2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

It was all high-end stuff. like a £15K or £7K set up.

I want a turntable,i have a lot of records. But I know they are what they are now.  

but when that system played, and I was a part of the music, it has changed my outlook. 

I just looked at their website and they don't sell any high end turntables. Some decent midlevel Cambridge Audio and grand class Technics but nothing high end. 

You may as well say cars are what they are after driving a Volkswagen. 😆

5 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Have been thinking about this for a while, not looking for ultra high end just a decent player.

Looking to find albums from long ago as a bit of a hobby and would like a player with blue tooth speakers etc

Fly my pretties, fly.

Also recommendations 🧐

If you're looking at Richer Sounds, Cambridge Audio and Project are solid brands. There's no point in spending too much if you have shitty cables, cartridges, amp etc but they're decent quality.

1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

it was like a Roksan CASPIAN M2 AMP, CD & Dali OPTICON 6, but better. pop in and check it out. 

Their turntables are not a big selling point. You are correct about that. 

I don't drive, and don't currently have a functioning turntable, so I realise I ought to shut my trap. 

They've got some decent amps and speakers in there. Great for audiophile standard cables as well at great prices.

Kind of thought turntables would be pretty popular now that people are getting back into buying records.

A lot of the guys I DJ'd with for years are now married with kids and can't afford new records now so have flipped to those pretend, toy DJ mp3 controllers and lots of guys i know who are heavily into music seem to be replacing their CD collections with vinyl set ups. 🤔😆

Okay. I would recommend www.juno.co.uk as they are the biggest online seller of vinyl and equipment. You'll get full cover on their models as well. Technics 1210s are the staple but you may want something lower budget and with more features. 

There are quite a few turntables out there now that are configured to be used with active speakers. I think that is a better route to go down than considering bluetooth. That way you don't have to worry about amplifiers and pre-amps as most modern amps don't come with a turntable stage. In terms of the vinyl v's digital argument I tend to buy albums on vinyl that are older and were originally mastered for vinyl. A lot of classic albums were badly remastered when they were converted for digital formats. I'm sitting just now listening to Maggot Brain by Funkadelic on vinyl and it sounds a whole lot better than if I was listening to it on CD or streaming. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of pop music now was recorded to sound good through headphones over Spotify or similar as opposed to through a good hi-fi system.

Edited by Tazio

Konrad von Carstein
13 hours ago, systemx said:

Pay a visit to Richer Sounds and ask the question .they are really helpful

it also depends on how much you are prepared to cough up

I think thats what I will do,  next time I'm in Edinburgh on a day trip. Cheers

12 hours ago, Craig_ said:

What's your budget? It may be you'd be much better off getting and old one and doing it up. A lot of the modern turntables are pretty shite, to be honest. 

Max £250...at the moment it's a nostalgia thing, if it develops I may go for better kit.

Thanks all.

Bought Audio technica LP60xusb for my son last year but it has no adjustment to tone arm, changed to the LP120xusb which is so much better. £200 but they often do a £25 cashback. It does the job he needs it for.

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/audio-technica-atlp120xusb-black.html

It has gone up £20 since I bought it.

On 31/01/2020 at 23:58, Zlatanable said:

vinyl is always a bit shit, when compared to high quality digital music. 

if you want best quality listening experience, no vinyl ££££££ will provide it. 

You couldn't be more wrong, vinyl recordings are far higher quality. Digital music is compressed to **** and flat by comparison. 

2 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

You couldn't be more wrong, vinyl recordings are far higher quality. Digital music is compressed to **** and flat by comparison. 

My wav files sound pretty decent but I'd like to hear vinyl/wav side by side on a decent set up . Be interesting to hear the differences.