Leeds v Stoke

dryJTlaw

5 hours ago, Zen Jambo said:

My mates anorak wearing swaggering indie band have properly got there fan base in the Leeds ‘casuals’.

They played the LUFC century celebrations in the city a few months back and a regularly featured on Leeds social media for goal highlights etc. 

My mate (ironically, not a true Leeds fan like the others in the band) is loving the push for promotion as there is a real buzz among their fan base. 

But these fans, they only come out of the woodwork when when Leeds are doing well. 

Your right about the buzz, full house today, maybe 35 thousand today. Yeah glory hunters are rife, same with every team.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Rizla

• Kxf51

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Kxf51 said:

I was in there maybe thirty year ago. No idea what its like now or even if its still there, madhouse.

It was exactly the same till it closed down a few years ago. Was given a quick makeover for Trainspotting 2 nit more or less the same. Was a great Friday haunt after work. Usually in working clothes right up till closing. All the good schemie pubs seem to be closing these days 

37 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

It was exactly the same till it closed down a few years ago. Was given a quick makeover for Trainspotting 2 nit more or less the same. Was a great Friday haunt after work. Usually in working clothes right up till closing. All the good schemie pubs seem to be closing these days 

Actually sad to hear its closed, not really surprised though.its sad mate.people prefer to pay £5 a pint. I'm the same drinking up town with no change from a tenner for two drinks, mad.

Didn't realise it was in trainspotting.

8 minutes ago, Kxf51 said:

Actually sad to hear its closed, not really surprised though.its sad mate.people prefer to pay £5 a pint. I'm the same drinking up town with no change from a tenner for two drinks, mad.

Didn't realise it was in trainspotting.

That’s where they shot all the pub scenes. It closed for a Thursday and all the film crew took over saughton main gardens. No one knew they were coming as it was all hush hush. They shot everything right through the one night. Cleaned up and left it just as they found it. The busy was back open again on the Friday night. If you drank in the busy you’d be able to spot some of the characteristics 

• 4 months later...
On 31/01/2020 at 18:59, dryJTlaw said:

Any Leeds fan in here, weve booked the Centenary Lounge for Good Friday v Stoke.

Is it any good, dress code, were staying over so wheres best place either near ground or station?

Cheers

At least the dress code has been relaxed.

Game now Thursday 9 July 5pm Sky Sports. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Cardiff first then Fulham. 

100 games in 6 weeks and not a fan in sight. 

Cannae whack ‘Dirty Leeds’.

Which, of course, was a jealous nickname from other clubs, aimed at a superb football team.

My favourite English team as a wee boy, my favourite English team to this very day.

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, Morgan said:

Which, of course, was a jealous nickname from other clubs, aimed at a superb football team.

My favourite English team as a wee boy, my favourite English team to this very day.

They were dirty *******s under Revie though so the name was apt. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

I remember them from the 1960's and early 70's they were a great team.

Had lots of Scottish players and although Billy Bremner was captain had five/six  others who

would be captain anywhere else.

5 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

They were dirty *******s under Revie though so the name was apt. 

They were hard *******s under Revie, so the name was not apt.

Hard Leeds.  

2 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

I remember them from the 1960's and early 70's they were a great team.

Had lots of Scottish players and although Billy Bremner was captain had five/six  others who

would be captain anywhere else.

I can, off the top of my head, think of David Harvey, Bremner, Peter Lorimer and the Gray brothers, from the great early 70’s team.

A team of internationals they were!

17 hours ago, Morgan said:

My favourite team as well and so many Scotsman in that great side, hopefully they can get promoted.

Seymour M Hersh
26 minutes ago, Morgan said:

They were hard *******s under Revie, so the name was not apt.

Hard Leeds.  

Nope, sorry Morgan we're just going to have to agree to disagree. 

24 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I can, off the top of my head, think of David Harvey, Bremner, Peter Lorimer and the Gray brothers, from the great early 70’s team.

Here's the team. Reaney for Cooper perhaps the best. 

IMG_20200613_155925.jpg

1 hour ago, Jamdub said:

My favourite team as well and so many Scotsman in that great side, hopefully they can get promoted.

Yes, they really are a ‘top flight’ club, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Nope, sorry Morgan we're just going to have to agree to disagree. 

Fair enough, Seymour.  That’s what this is all about.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Here's the team. Reaney for Cooper perhaps the best. 

IMG_20200613_155925.jpg

Thanks for that, Mikey.

2 hours ago, Jamdub said:

My English team since I was a wee boy also. Please don’t blow it this time.

5 minutes ago, Rizla said:

My English team since I was a wee boy also. Please don’t blow it this time.

I've seen most of their games this season. There was a wee period when they seemed a bit lost, still dominating games but not scoring.

But overall they have been outstanding and signs are good. The players came back from lockdown fitter and their manager has a near perfect record at 'start of season'.

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Ach sod it Castle boy!

Feck you,  Raeburn.  :wink: 

Seymour M Hersh
16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Feck you,  Raeburn.  :wink: 

We all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds, Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds, Leeds and Leeds and Leeds.

We all ****ing hate Leeds!

:leveinproblem:

7 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

We all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds, Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds, Leeds and Leeds and Leeds.

We all ****ing hate Leeds!

:leveinproblem:

:vrface:

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

When I followed Middlesbrough one of the pleasures for me was the banter with fans of other clubs, not only in the away city but also with random fans on the journey. For example, if I had to change trains at somewhere like Birmingham I might have come across fans of maybe half a dozen other teams during my journey, all on their way to different games and most of whom were happy to talk intelligently about football.

I never found this possible with travelling Leeds fans. Without exception I found them to be loud-mouthed and menacing.  Their first comment on spotting other fans was invariably something like "what's that effing shirt/scarf", and it generally went downhill from there.

I would often check where Leeds were playing and try to work out which trains they might be using so that I could avoid them. Unfortunately my route was often through Leeds so I didn't have much option, so I would just try to avoid the abuse by covering my colours and keeping my head down.

I'm not a troublemaker, and my one and only bit of bother ever was courtesy of a Leeds fan. Last day of the season, I'd been to Wolves on my own and watched Boro clinch promotion to the inaugural Premier League, so it must have been 1992. I had to change trains in York, and as I stepped off the train a Leeds fan bravely came forward from the group he was with to punch me straight in the mouth. I broke a tooth and he was dragged away by half a dozen bobbys who saw the whole thing.  The daft thing was that Leeds had won the League Championship that day, and that was how this moron chose to celebrate.

So no, I don't like Leeds and I don't like their fans. It looks as if it's about to end, but their last dozen or so seasons of comedy relegations and promotion cock-ups have given me huge entertainment, so I thank them for that.

What possesses someone to hit a random stranger just because they wear a different coloured scarf?As much as I don't like Hibs/Rangers/Celtic (and pretty much every team in Scottish football now) I can't imagine just smacking someone in the face for the hell of it. Reckon I'm too old and too wee anyhow.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
17 hours ago, Morgan said:

Gordon McQueen as well

37 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Honestly, that's exactly what he did. I'd had a nice journey back thus far, sharing beer with some Yorkshire-based Wolves fans. I'd left the train and I was walking on my own towards a nearby timetable board.  I was aware of this character moving towards me, but being the non-confrontational type I pretended I hadn't seen him. I assumed that he was about to start with the usual verbal abuse, but he just bopped me one.

He went to court, and I believe that he got some kind of banning order, such as they were in those days. He also had to pay an amount towards my dentistry, which I received at about £5 per month.

The dentist's job is the worst anyone has ever seen, so if you ever see an English guy with a dodgy front crown in the Wheatfield or in The Diggers, that's me :)

37 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Honestly, that's exactly what he did. I'd had a nice journey back thus far, sharing beer with some Yorkshire-based Wolves fans. I'd left the train and I was walking on my own towards a nearby timetable board.  I was aware of this character moving towards me, but being the non-confrontational type I pretended I hadn't seen him. I assumed that he was about to start with the usual verbal abuse, but he just bopped me one.

He went to court, and I believe that he got some kind of banning order, such as they were in those days. He also had to pay an amount towards my dentistry, which I received at about £5 per month.

The dentist's job is the worst anyone has ever seen, so if you ever see an English guy with a dodgy front crown in the Wheatfield or in The Diggers, that's me :)

I’ll get the drinks in sassenach.

The fact that you happened to be on your own and that he was in a group just shows how big and tough he was. What an utter scumbag.

These type of folk will always behave in a certain way when the situation is in their favour, they are cowards.

Keep your head up mate and follow your team.

They were a great team but lost quite a few games they should have won.

There used to be a video of all the fouls in the 1970 cup final that had to be seen to be believed.

Only one i can find is the Eddie McCreadie non foul on Bremmner.lol

Edited by benny

On 12/06/2020 at 15:10, Mikey1874 said:

We got a full refund for the game and train 

Doctor FinnBarr
18 minutes ago, Morgan said:

‘Dirty Leeds’ are going up!

Top club, deserve to be in the top league.

I agree Morgan, think it might upset some snowflakes on here though.

8 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I would dispute that Leeds are a "top" club. Leeds is a huge city, and they also draw support from the rest of Yorkshire and beyond. They have massive potential, but apart from purple patches under Revie and then during the 1990s they've been pretty mediocre for most of their history.

I would say they have top potential, but in relation to resources I would actually class them as England's second biggest under-achievers, after Newcastle.

You can say that.

But that makes Leeds behind maybe 10 other clubs. 

It misses out that in 1960 Leeds was a rugby league town. 

This 'big' club thing is a bit mistaken.

You saying there's only a few 'top' clubs?

Just Manchester, Liverpool and London clubs? 

Fair enough.

Leeds supporters don't care. 

Doctor FinnBarr
15 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I would dispute that Leeds are a "top" club. Leeds is a huge city, and they also draw support from the rest of Yorkshire and beyond. They have massive potential, but apart from purple patches under Revie and then during the 1990s they've been pretty mediocre for most of their history.

I would say they have top potential, but in relation to resources I would actually class them as England's second biggest under-achievers, after Newcastle.

Glory glory Leeds United and the Leeds go marching on on on

Marching on together FTH

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

10 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I think you've misunderstood my post. All I'm saying is that, with their resources, Leeds should have been near the top of English football more consistently.

Their purple patches have been excellent, don't get me wrong, but outside of those periods they've been a typical yo-yo club.

I take your point about RL, but football is still the biggest sport, even in Yorkshire.

So what about the resources of Derby, Portsmouth, Wolves, Leicester, Cardiff, Everton, Ipswich, Norwich, West Brom, Fulham, Sunderland, Preston, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn, Birmingham. To mention a few. 

I haven't misunderstood your post. 

And football wasn't the biggest sport in Yorkshire before Don Revie. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Leeds are Scum! 

Aye ok thanks for that input.

btw a lot of people think Hearts are scum.

Marching On Together.

Looking good for Leeds unfortunately. As much I dislike them the prem misses clubs like them. 

I've had many a scary moments watching utd play them at Elland Road in the 70's and 80's. One of the few teams to bring a great atmosphere to OT in those days. 

I'd welcome them back to the prem as long as they know their place... Near the bottom. 

15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

And football wasn't the biggest sport in Yorkshire before Don Revie. 

I'm not so sure about that. If we just keep to the support of Yorkshire clubs you still have the two big Sheffield clubs and not to mention. Huddersfield Town who got big crowds back then. 

Leeds didn't and still don't have the biggest support from football fans in West Yorkshire. More fans in West York go to Manchester or Liverpool and thats a fact. 

In terms of sport in general I would say back then cricket was the biggest sport in Yorkshire. 

complete control

Looking good for my favourite English team. Backed them at 4/1  to win the league but it's Leeds were talkin aboot  !

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Rizla said:

What about the one that was saved on the line earlier. Good god man burst the bloody net with it.🤬

You can see the problems Michael O'Neill has with Stoke. 

Leeds have hit the bar and forced a great save since second goal.