Parking Charge Notice

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

I know there's  a thread on here somewhere (I'm lazy!) I've just received one of these from Parking Eye on behalf of the Moxy Hotel at the airport.

I parked there waiting for the wife total 45 minutes...

Is it still the general advice to ignore these letters ? There's something nagging at the back of my mind that something had changed in Scotland with regards to what powers these companies have?

7 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I know there's  a thread on here somewhere (I'm lazy!) I've just received one of these from Parking Eye on behalf of the Moxy Hotel at the airport.

Is it still the general advice to ignore these letters ? There's something nagging at the back of my mind that something had changed in Scotland with regards to what powers these companies have?

Nothing has changed yet. Ignore.

16 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Not a lawyer (here)

My understanding is, if there's a sign posted that on entering the car park that you've entered a contract with the owner, and you're liable for X payment if you contravene the terms, then using existing law, they have bound you into that contract and you owe them what they say you owe.

The practical problem and why it's usually safe to chuck these letters, is that pursuing single claims against individuals for the amounts owed--usually something like £50-£100--is cost prohibitive. But in the case of someone like this lady, who accumulated over £24,000 in fines, it was absolutely legally enforceable and she was ordered to pay.

So basically in ignoring the letter, you're betting against them individually targeting you with a simple procedure to get the money out of you.

Disclaimer: The above is in no way legal advice of any kind.

Edited by Justin Z

Nucky Thompson

There was a case in Scotland in 2015 where a lassie in Dundee kept parking on private land near her parents house.

She kept on getting tickets and raked up £20k worth.

The parking company took her to court and won the case.

I would just ignore all correspondence with them, they won't go to the trouble of pursuing you for the cost of one ticket

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Thanks all, despite the near heart attack reading Justin Z's post... :lol:

Group wisdom seems to be to ignore...

What could possibly go wrong. 

😁

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There was a case in Scotland in 2015 where a lassie in Dundee kept parking on private land near her parents house.

I would just ignore all correspondence with them, they won't go to the trouble of pursuing you for the cost of one ticket

Do be aware, if they do pursue you for the cost of just one ticket through the “simple procedure” (formally known as the small claims court), they will also add that Court cost to their claim, currently £104.

Nucky Thompson
32 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Do be aware, if they do pursue you for the cost of just one ticket through the “simple procedure” (formally known as the small claims court), they will also add that Court cost to their claim, currently £104.

They also have to prove who was driving the car. too many hurdles to chase one ticket.

They hope most people pay through fear of getting taken to court and hassle factor and it probably works.

I wouldn't enter into any correspondence with them

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They also have to prove who was driving the car. too many hurdles to chase one ticket.

They hope most people pay through fear of getting taken to court and hassle factor and it probably works.

I wouldn't enter into any correspondence with them

I’m not sure I would either.....just saying that if they do pursue it won’t be just the ticket they are a after.  Not quite sure about denying or, not knowing who was driving a car registered to you would wash in court, if they have your car and registration I think you would have to prove it wasn’t you, which then leads onto bubbling the original driver of the car ( if there was one).

Dean Winchester
9 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

She also openly admitted to being the driver.

The problem most of these companies have is the onus is on them to prove who the driver is, as they entered into the contract, and the registered keeper is under no obligation to disclose that in Scotland. They're trying to draft keeper liability in I believe so this may change in the near future and they would be able to pursue the registered keeper like they do in England.

Doctor FinnBarr
11 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I got one at the same hotel for 25 minutes worth of parking in May (it was virtually empty too). Think it started at £60 and made its way up over the space of 4/5 letters to £250. Got a letter this month from a kiddy on legal company owned by Parking Eye telling me their client would settle for £170 if paid by the 2nd....I received the letter on the 6th!

Letter was filed in the bin with the others.

Glad you brought it up again.

Daughter got another demand, now £160.

For parking at McDonald's in 

It's now with a debt collector, threatening balliffs, etc.

Daughter has emigrated to USA and I tell the frightened missus that bailiffs are not able to do anything about this in Scotland.

Admittedly, I am getting concerned about the chasing up, nearly 5 years.

The debt company is mainly England, but shows an office in Penicuik.

The Real Maroonblood
57 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Daughter has emigrated to USA and I tell the frightened missus that bailiffs are not able to do anything about this in Scotland.

Extradition pending.

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Every so often ie once a yearish I get a letter from a bank for the previous owner of house about a debt and that debt collectors are on the case even had letters from the debt collecting agencies, had different ones send letters

been going on for years and no visits yet, not that I give 2 hoots